Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:eyepop:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/horizon-forbidden-west-is-getting-an-official-lego-set/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
/\

I thought the game was extremely overrated but drat if that isn't a really beautiful and well done set

Carbohydrates posted:

You know, I'm glad Disney changed the name if only because the vitriolic fallout is hilarious. That build looks amazing, of course.

Cojawfee posted:

Is the name even mentioned anywhere in the movies? I love people getting butthurt over a word being different.

I dunno if these were aimed at me but to be clear I wasn't whining about the name change, just referencing it because its funny.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

It's not as big as I was hoping but that's a really nice build

Wait it releases in May? That's a little late if they're hoping to get fans who just bought the latest game

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I never played HZD but drat that one looks cool.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Now do a Link + guardian

Or Link + Divine Beast

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Butterfly Valley posted:

I dunno if these were aimed at me but to be clear I wasn't whining about the name change, just referencing it because its funny.
Fair enough, you just did it in exactly the same way I see it in Brickset comment sections unironically! Figured you were more likely to be joking, though.

Horizon set looks dope. $80 is great for a licensed 1200+ part set with an exclusive fig. Some cool part recolors there, too.

Obligatory:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

This owns. I’m a huge HZD fan and they really nailed this set imo. I’m digging the vignette style they’re doing with the 18+ sets now too.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

This owns. I’m a huge HZD fan and they really nailed this set imo. I’m digging the vignette style they’re doing with the 18+ sets now too.

Yeah the comiccon or whatever Vader and Luke fight on Cloud City vignette almost seemed like a test for some of these, like the JP set is very much in the same spirit

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

extremely hosed up that i can't link my Lego and PlayStation accounts and use my HZD platinum for a discount on this

Veotax
May 16, 2006

drat, that looks better than I expected and the price is pretty great too! The Aloy minifig looks great as well.

Definitely picking that up!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Definitely breaking my own weird 'no pink minifigs' rule because it has an exception clause in case of giant robots. I haven't played the game at all, but that didn't stop me from buying the Overwatch mechs either. For the record, the rampant employee abuse at Blizzard that was revealed since then overruled the giant robot clause.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Should I buy that game and get hyped for the release of the set?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

refleks posted:

I'm looking at the Steam store page wondering just that.

On another note, I have once again provided the seed part for our LUG's monthly build challenge. I selected the fairly obscure x383 Technic connector. Here are a couple builds I've thought of so far to integrate this thing.

1. Expedition boat, with x383 used as the body of the mini sub and the conning tower. There's a small winch inside the cabin that would allow the sub to be raised into and lowered out of the boat (I did not bother rendering or drawing the string, sorry).

2. Steam engine, with x383 as the boiler. Honestly, most of the work on this build went into the train tracks.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

refleks posted:

Carbohydrates posted:

It's a great game if you're on the fence, with a really good story, world, and combat. Sequel looks cool too, though that's not out for a couple days.

I built a tallneck MOC from instructions I found a while back, but I'll definitely be picking that one up. Would be cool as hell if they do other machines in the future.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

refleks posted:

The first one is great so yeah I'd say it's a safe buy

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'm gonna go against the grain and say it's an average game that looks pretty but has a very dull and lifeless open world full of ubisoft style map markers telling you where to go rather than encouraging natural exploration, and actively hinders that with very limited proscribed climbing routes full of such exciting gameplay as 'hold up and press jump occasionally' and a story that takes itself a bit too seriously while being told by weirdly animated very sincere characters, along with other tropes of bad open world games such as 'collect 15 badger grundles to upgrade your tertiary weapon's second ammunition pouch by 3'

cool setting and robots and the combat is ok but I put about 10 hours into it and haven't been tempted to go back yet

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 15, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Carbohydrates posted:

On another note, I have once again provided the seed part for our LUG's monthly build challenge. I selected the fairly obscure x383 Technic connector. Here are a couple builds I've thought of so far to integrate this thing.

1. Expedition boat, with x383 used as the body of the mini sub and the conning tower. There's a small winch inside the cabin that would allow the sub to be raised into and lowered out of the boat (I did not bother rendering or drawing the string, sorry).

2. Steam engine, with x383 as the boiler. Honestly, most of the work on this build went into the train tracks.

Absolutely love both of those! Dare I ask how those train tracks work?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Edit: Cleanup pass done, all the white detail bits are nicer now. Doing structural cleanup now in preparation for instruction stuff, tomorrow.

Rev2:

Mini Parisian Restaurant instructions are done and here:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-101986/mattking4/parisian-restaurant-mini-modular/#details

Next goal sometime in the next day or two is to do revision instructions for the Boutique Hotel, I think I'm gonna make one more pass over it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Absolutely love both of those! Dare I ask how those train tracks work?
Sure! It's mostly a series of chunks that hold bits of the ties, held predominantly by friction and gravity. You can check it out here.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain and say it's an average game that looks pretty but has a very dull blooptie beeptie doopie deepy
don't listen to this dog with a tie who is saying incorrect things

At first glance the set feels a little *too* colorful, in that the tallnecks in the game are mostly gray, but it's got a great Aloy fig and a little Watcher so it's basically everything I could ask for.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope the Tallneck set does well so they can make a big Thunderjaw set(Think a robot T-rex with a laser in its mouth, cannons on its jaw, and more guns on its hips). The elephant machine from the new game would work too

RatHat fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 15, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Not to turn this into video game chat but HZD really is a slow burn at first. I realize that needing 10+ hours to get rolling is problematic but once all the systems finally click in your brain it’s a blast.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are really colorful up close and I think the set captures it well.

All around the set seems drat near perfect to me. Looks great, fantastic price point. The stand is a really nice touch. Some might be disappointed that it's not full scale but tbh I think that scale works perfectly and I think a $300 horizon set would sell like poo poo.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Carbohydrates posted:

Sure! It's mostly a series of chunks that hold bits of the ties, held predominantly by friction and gravity. You can check it out here.

That's awesome, I never would figured that out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Not to turn this into video game chat but HZD really is a slow burn at first. I realize that needing 10+ hours to get rolling is problematic but once all the systems finally click in your brain it’s a blast.

To be clear it's not like the game sucks for the first ten hours, it just gets way better once it gets rolling. Although I'd say it takes more like 4 hours to get rolling not ten.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Looks like Mando’s N1 is going to be $60 in the US which is $10 cheaper then I expected based on the leaks but I’m probably still going to wait for a sale.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

RatHat posted:

I hope the Tallneck set does well so they can make a big Thunderjaw set
I'm doubtful there would ever be another set, maybe when the third game comes out in 2026 or whatever. Thunderjaw is too much like a regular dinosaur, the tallneck is uniquely goofy.

The Tallneck set was already in the rumor pipeline and I don't think there's anything else like it in the near future; will be interesting to see if any other game franchises get this treatment.

Something like the Normandy from Mass Effect could be neat, but these things are likely to be either for evergreen franchises or timed to the release of a new game. Having a big monster or recognizable setpiece probably helps.

If those big guardian monsters are still in Breath of the Wild 2 that could be a good one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Looks like Mando’s N1 is going to be $60 in the US which is $10 cheaper then I expected based on the leaks but I’m probably still going to wait for a sale.

I think it looks good, but yeah it's a bad deal. I'll grab it towards the end of it's run when it's $40.

That price is honestly just ridiculous. At the very least they could have splurged and put a bunch of lacquered silver parts on it instead of using mostly light/dark gray.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

In an alternative universe instead of naming it Boba Fett's Starship they went the opposite direction and there's a lego set named Jabba's Sexual Assault Den.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain and say it's an average game that looks pretty but has a very dull and lifeless open world full of ubisoft style map markers telling you where to go rather than encouraging natural exploration, and actively hinders that with very limited proscribed climbing routes full of such exciting gameplay as 'hold up and press jump occasionally' and a story that takes itself a bit too seriously while being told by weirdly animated very sincere characters, along with other tropes of bad open world games such as 'collect 15 badger grundles to upgrade your tertiary weapon's second ammunition pouch by 3'

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I feel like these are both accurate assessments. The most interesting part to me was learning the combat, which by the time the expansion came out I discovered I'd completely forgotten and didn't want to relearn just for that amount of content. It has some interesting ideas but definitely a case of empty world ubi map marker itis.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Curious to see if this is the first in a series. The gaming industrie is bigger than movies and music combined and now Lego has created the 'adults' label they can go ham with all the licenses. This is printing money and i'm all here for it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Well it's not the first gaming set, since it's following Overwatch, Mario, Sonic, and some smaller Dinensions-y stuff like Portal (still love that a Chell minifig exists). I'm positive we'll be seeing more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

A friend of mine really got into the Lego Buildable Flowers recently, her favorite flower however is the tulip and we both agree that set sucks.

Did somebody ever MoC better tulips or where do I go about looking for a design?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Looks fine. I'd be more excited about the color if not for the bright light blue Fiat 500. The leaks suggested it would be in a "mint" color, so I kinda had light aqua on my mind.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

oh, okay, I guess I found the next LEGO gift to the missus.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I get the rename of Slave I and I'm asking this more out of curiosity, but wasn't the idea that it was named Slave I because it was a 'slave' ship to a 'master' ship that controlled it? Like being rooted in computer lexicon (master/slave)?

By no means is that question a justification as even if it is rooted on computer shorthand, the terms are still problematic. Is that terminology still used in the tech world?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think they probably just thought it sounded cool.

I’ll always call it the slave 1 but I also get why toy companies don’t want to print it on the box anymore.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Cithen posted:

Is that terminology still used in the tech world?

No! And yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

I think they probably just thought it sounded cool.

I’ll always call it the slave 1 but I also get why toy companies don’t want to print it on the box anymore.

I don’t think people realize that they did the same thing with General Grevious Starship. That’s what it is on the box but it’s not the name of the ship.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 16, 2022