Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

another one bites the dust

edit: just looked it up, New Mexico's indoor mask mandate began on Aug 20 when cases were 50% lower than they are now

Testvan fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Look surely the writers can make the SOTU a superspreader event right?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Sunny Side Up posted:

thank you! we tried a lot of stuff in curbside and have our own process. lock doors, recirc the a/c, pop the trunk (changed the spring so it'd really pop and be obvious, don't know what we'd do if we didn't have sedan-style cars). we tried a lot of things with ID/order# (e.g. a big printout of our name & 'put it in the trunk', etc), but still got "we can't understand you! roll down your window!" until we started just holding our licenses up to the window. for some reason that works like magic every time.

I’ve thought about making an intercom that sits on the outside of my door for this reason

jacksonchan
Jun 29, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm also looking forward to the cognitive dissonance of the messaging being all open Biden and throw out your masks while all of the ducks in the audience are decked out in N95s

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

kreeningsons posted:

I’ve thought about making an intercom that sits on the outside of my door for this reason

the funniest thing are the people who pull down their masks to read our licenses

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
As I said earlier - Hospital Admissions have stopped decreasing.

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1494420267598233606?s=20&t=YTUXr_crsnmrJ2GBdlvNgw

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sorry, covid is already over. It doesn't matter how many people die now.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Stopped decreasing? So, not increasing. Open 'er up.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

I'm going to go to a bondage/drag show tonight, where almost no one will be masked (*at least, I'd bet). I'm going respirator gang, ofc.

It'll be nice to do something fun.

Might breakdown and do a suck'n'gently caress. Who knows.

Wish me luck

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I'm going to go to a bondage/drag show tonight, where almost no one will be masked

:thunk:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RealityWarCriminal posted:

One influential model uses those factors and others to estimate that 73% of Americans are, for now, immune to omicron, the dominant variant, and that could rise to 80% by mid-March.
(..)

That would mean ~750k get infected every single day until mid-March.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I'm going to go to a bondage/drag show tonight, where almost no one will be masked (*at least, I'd bet). I'm going respirator gang, ofc.

Wish me luck

:lol:

:rip:

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

God, I hope the politicians completely lost the plot and abandoned protection for themselves also.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

Bar Crow posted:

God, I hope the politicians completely lost the plot and abandoned protection for themselves also.

:pray:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Wish me luck

please keep us updated

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chapin is up there with Midgley and Haber.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Wish me luck

I can't even judge, I'm planning to go to an indoor concert in June in a full-face respirator. Covid is here forever, time to live my life (actually) safely

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Wish me luck

seems like masks might be cool in this setting, but idk

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

seems like masks might be cool in this setting, but idk

Yep, super dumb that folks won't take the opportunity to really lean into the aesthetic.

I tested negative on a rapid today (5 day mark past leaving my plague doctor role). I'll still rock a 6200 with an exhalation filter. It is my most doomer looking mask.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

lol have we already managed to hit the point where hospitalizations are the most leading indicator available because of reduced testing

I will never stop laughing (at least until COVID kills me) if home testing means that our actual positive test numbers are basically just catching the nasty cases now

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1494329974181879827

This isn't an suprise for any regular reader in this thread but BA.2 is starting to gain in the US.

Pretty great that we're pushing that everyone is immune now and taking away masks for everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uevKxa6sjFA

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

Testvan posted:

edit: just looked it up, New Mexico's indoor mask mandate began on Aug 20 when cases were 50% lower than they are now

I dug a little deeper in NM mask mandate history

NM had an indoor mask mandate from May 2020 until July 2021 and then Aug 2021 until today
they only went maskless indoors for one month last summer before delta changed their minds
they must have had one of the longest running state-wide indoor mask mandates in the country
lol lmao

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Glumwheels posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/17/health/ba-2-covid-severity/index.html

Gee wonder what’s gonna happen, sounds real bad.

Better remove mask requirements then have Sinclair mass message 80% of the US has immunity!

quote:

BA.2 is about 30% to 50% more contagious than Omicron. It has been detected in 74 countries and 47 US states.

:rubby:

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jingoro posted:

To be fair, Houston drivers were already pretty terrifying before Covid when I lived there years ago. (Dart across six lanes of traffic on I-10 at the last minute without signaling because you forgot to exit? SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA.) I can only imagine what it's like now with the hard drinking and all the Covid brain damage.

oh god it's worse now

the construction really took off when covid hit and now parts of 610 are collapsing and all kinds of poo poo. thus transtar is crucial lol

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

six lanes wtf

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nothus posted:

95 is too certain. 73 is high enough that the average reader will just assume it means everyone while being low enough to have plausible deniability if called-out on it.

So, the plot of Don't Look Up?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Strep Vote posted:

This is why it's actually a moral imperative for respirator crew to don the mask and say you are IC and to mind your own loving business to anyone who asks. It normalizes it. Solidarity with the vulnerable.

I'll be wearing mine every time I leave the apartment for the foreseeable future.

Soli-moral-darity

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
How common is it for a household of three where one member has home-tested positive for covid and the others don't get it after nearly a week?

My wife and I were fully vaccinated with Pfizer/Moderna by June and boostered in December. Our six year old was fully vaccinated by the week before Christmas.

Last Tuesday we got our third "your child was exposed to covid yesterday" email from the school since the start of the year . He was negative on Friday but positive on Saturday. Figuring "welp, here we go", I took a test and was negative. But that Saturday afternoon I had a lesser (don't make me say "mild"!) feeling of the drained feeling I had after my second shot (booster didn't affect me) so I was confident that of course NOW I've got it. Our son's only symptom was a runny nose. None of us masked or isolated.

Wife tested negative on Sunday. I tested again on Monday and FINALLY it showed up as....negative? Monday we tested our son again and he was still positive (line was fainter than Saturday if that means anything). I tested negative again on Wednesday. My wife went to a clinic for a test yesterday and her results today are negative.

How is my family is doing covid wrong?

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

have you tried out the free arcgis online utility? It might help you make better maps

https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/oauth2/signup?client_id=arcgisonline&redirect_uri=http://www.arcgis.com&response_type=token

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

not_superiority posted:

oh god it's worse now

the construction really took off when covid hit and now parts of 610 are collapsing and all kinds of poo poo. thus transtar is crucial lol

the most amazing driving experience i ever had was on I10 W somewhere after Lake Charles when me and four other people started like driving collaboratively instead of racing each other. like miles and miles of helping each other pass all the slowpokes and warn about cops and whatever. like a drat air squadron.

my favorite driver i ever ran into was also (surprisingly, b/c i've driven like everywhere lol) on I10 (this time eastbound into Louisiana). monster truck with Mississippi license plate "SHOW OFFZ." similar collaborative fun.

god i was so young and stupid

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

tenderjerk posted:

Cool, going to tell HR that I am immunocompromised and that forcing me to work in a covid factory is causing irreparable harm to me and escalate it to the courts if I need to, I'll let you know how it goes

I told HR this and they are requesting a note from my doctor before they provide reasonable accommodation

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Cheesus posted:

How common is it for a household of three where one member has home-tested positive for covid and the others don't get it after nearly a week?

My wife and I were fully vaccinated with Pfizer/Moderna by June and boostered in December. Our six year old was fully vaccinated by the week before Christmas.

Last Tuesday we got our third "your child was exposed to covid yesterday" email from the school since the start of the year . He was negative on Friday but positive on Saturday. Figuring "welp, here we go", I took a test and was negative. But that Saturday afternoon I had a lesser (don't make me say "mild"!) feeling of the drained feeling I had after my second shot (booster didn't affect me) so I was confident that of course NOW I've got it. Our son's only symptom was a runny nose. None of us masked or isolated.

Wife tested negative on Sunday. I tested again on Monday and FINALLY it showed up as....negative? Monday we tested our son again and he was still positive (line was fainter than Saturday if that means anything). I tested negative again on Wednesday. My wife went to a clinic for a test yesterday and her results today are negative.

i think there were multiple studies showing that even among OG covid with its much lower transmissibility inter-household infectivity was essentially 100%

unless you got some corsi cubes and respirators going on you're probably looking at false negatives (don't forget to swab the throat)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Everyone who didn’t get omicron before will definitely get it now with mask mandates ending. Too bad the people making these decisions don’t get COVID and die as payment to nurgle

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

holy gently caress. I've seen chatter here about BA.2 for the past week or so but I didn't know it was that bad!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Cheesus posted:

Idiot

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Gio posted:

six lanes wtf

TX freeways are serious madmax poo poo. They refuse to learn that more lanes dont actually = more thruput

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sunny Side Up posted:

i think there were multiple studies showing that even among OG covid with its much lower transmissibility inter-household infectivity was essentially 100%

That doesn't seem to match what I remember. I personally even knew several families where only one person got it, or where one parent and one kid got it and the other parent and other kid didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Lacrosse posted:

I told HR this and they are requesting a note from my doctor before they provide reasonable accommodation

Going through the Prudential poo poo was the worst at first. They reupped my arrangement almost automatically in December though, so that was nice. Here's hoping it continues that way next time...