Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'll be honest, Chrono Trigger is the one I have a harder time replaying despite liking it the first time, and I cannot pin down why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Allarion posted:

I'll be honest, Chrono Trigger is the one I have a harder time replaying despite liking it the first time, and I cannot pin down why.

The dinosaur level, both parts.

How much you side-tracked when finding the masamune.

The black omen goes on a bit with so many mandatory fights.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's literally Cyan's theme. No remix about it.

'Remix' might be a bit of a stretch, but XIV's arrangement of Cyan's theme is pretty great. Plays very close to the original, mostly with cleaner instrumentation and a bit more flourish to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Love moving at seven inches per year on my Magitek armour with team members who never show up again. Amazing opening

Ah Yes the... Walking speed?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I have in the past hated FF6, with a lot of memories lining up with Gaius' recent playthrough reports. And I can't wait to play it in the PR to see if fast forward and save anywhere glosses over it enough to be at least as enjoyable as 4, another game I'd found just too dull before the PR and generally enjoyed in PR form.

I like that PRs have given me a good reason to get my Final Fantasy batting average above 0.500.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I still find Chrono Trigger a pretty breezy game on a replay compared to a slog through a mire like FFV.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Sprint shoes in Arvin's house. That's the only part of the game where I have to deal with the molasses speed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real talk:

FF6 does a lot with what it has. It has a huge cast, the majority of which have full character arcs over the game. (Outside of like Gogo/Umaro). Every character feels distinct and has their own roles to play and the story makes use of that to show various viewpoints. It isn't as complex as the games that came after but that isn't inherently a negative. It is intentionally a broad theatrical melodramatic game.

Like "Final Fantasy 6 is theatrical" is pretty blunt. It frames scenes like they were being done on a state's features a large rotating cast' even the ending show's the characters as playing a role. If you expect.

The entire game is designed around that concept and it does it extremely well. The closest comparison is FF9 which tries a similar idea.

Edit: like the Opera scene is intentionally the game in miniature. That is the entire point.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 18, 2022

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

ImpAtom posted:

I think they're referring to the mode-7 demo part of the opening where you do get to watch them walk to credits for what feels like a long time (actually about 2 minutes). It's not skippable if there isn't a save file already existing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hogama posted:

I still find Chrono Trigger a pretty breezy game on a replay compared to a slog through a mire like FFV.

Theres a point in World 2 where it feels no mob gives you enough xp to level nor enough gold to buy anything. The ratio is off.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

parasyte posted:

I think they're referring to the mode-7 demo part of the opening where you do get to watch them walk to credits for what feels like a long time (actually about 2 minutes). It's not skippable if there isn't a save file already existing.

I always assumed it was skippable since my copy of the game just let you push past it, and every time I replayed it on emulator or GBA, I don't recall ever being stuck on it.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Ziddar posted:

'Remix' might be a bit of a stretch, but XIV's arrangement of Cyan's theme is pretty great. Plays very close to the original, mostly with cleaner instrumentation and a bit more flourish to it.

Yeah, my bad, i said remix when i meant arrangement. Didn't realize that Kaien = Cyan too. This is cool.

And complaining that Biggs and Wedge die at the opening of VI like that's a problem with the narrative instead of fitting perfectly is some lazy nitpicking. Like, i don't want to be negative towards someone experiencing the game for the first time but you can separate "this is bad" from "i don't like this personally".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I had no idea CiinemaSins was a goon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Real talk:

FF6 does a lot with what it has. It has a huge cast, the majority of which have full character arcs over the game. (Outside of like Gogo/Umaro). Every character feels distinct and has their own roles to play and the story makes use of that to show various viewpoints. It isn't as complex as the games that came after but that isn't inherently a negative. It is intentionally a broad theatrical melodramatic game.

Like "Final Fantasy 6 is theatrical" is pretty blunt. It frames scenes like they were being done on a state's features a large rotating cast' even the ending show's the characters as playing a role. If you expect.

The entire game is designed around that concept and it does it extremely well. The closest comparison is FF9 which tries a similar idea.
I understand your point but I don't agree at all. Drop Gogo and Umaro from the calculus, you're still left with Sabin having an "Arc" that's wrapped in his entrance, and then isn't brought up again until the end credits. Setzer is a mess introduced trying to abduct an innocent woman, and then given a tossed off backstory about his Ex. They made Han Solo boring and that's a feat, Relm and Strago don't have characters except as being a grandpa and a Gran/Daughter, they are purely plot devices for Shadow. Mog is right there with Umaro even though it should've been easy to write the story in. Gau has one dramatic scene. Locke is Ed Gein, and not in a good way. Even being generous only Terra, Celes, Shadow, Cyan, and Edgar even work as characters. I've in the past defended works that go for large ensemble casts, and lean towards pure theatricality, The difference is those works had casts that more or less worked. Having a large cast is not in and of itself a positive, and in this game it does nothing but drag it down.

FFVI is an overblown mess where the creators shoved any and all the ideas they had into it without ever bothering to ask if they worked. The comparison to IX is apt, it's VI done well. The cast is tightened up, it doesn't feel the need to undercut it's own drama, It's areas are all distinct, the relationships feel earned, it uses the split party better, it doesn't hold back it's systems for a third of the game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So I'm about three hours into FFXIII and at the start of Chapter 3 and yeah it's been as super linear as everyone says it is. The real combat system has now unlocked, so I'll be interested to see how it feels.

I did think the narrative and character control switching between the different party members until they all come together was cool. You don't really see that in RPGs.

I definitely understand now why people say the storytelling is done in a poor way. A ton of explanation is in the datalogs. As one of those people who collected and listened in all the Codex entries in the Mass Effect games this wasn't a problem for me in understanding things, but it doesn't really feel that engaging when the information is more than merely supplementary.

It really shows why ignorant/amnesiac protagonists are so common. Another character explaining things to them (and more importantly, you, the player) feels better than listening to the cast talk about things that are common knowledge among themselves, but leaves the player out of the loop for an extended period of time.

This is also one of the few PC games I've felt the need to actually download and install a fan fix patch. It just ran terribly and the FMVs have a very distracting green artifacting across the bottom and right edges that I can't fix without downloading a 100GB+ fan patch.

I'm sure none this is news to the thread.

Edit: Vanille's weapon is the dumbest thing I've seen in the series. They should have given her a whip instead.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 18, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: like the Opera scene is intentionally the game in miniature. That is the entire point.
The great dramatic moment where you tediously follow a guide book on a desk, only for the drama to be interrupted by some atrocious comic relief that you have to fight? I agree with your point completely

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

i'm gonna refute your points!!

oof, it'll take me at least... 5 minutes to do it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xFhULStbkQ

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

OhFunny posted:

XVI is taking place on the world of Valisthea. FFXII and it's related games take place on the world of Ivalice.

There probably won't be another game set on Ivalice. Yasumi Matsuno was the main driver of the setting and he's long since departed Square Enix.

Ff14

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

That dudes kids died, which is why he'd like to leave the reality behind fyi

Just something to think about while meming the takes

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 18, 2022

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Oh okay. I've never seen a more anticlimactic final boss in an rpg

Lol

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I disagree. They adapted the stories of FFT and FFXII to fit into FFXIV, but they didn't make something new set in the world of Ivalice.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

OhFunny posted:

I disagree. They adapted the stories of FFT and FFXII to fit into FFXIV, but they didn't make something new set in the world of Ivalice.

Maybe so, but that south west of othard area is ivalice, reflection or not.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Eight-Six posted:

hell yeah ff6 rules

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

Maybe so, but that south west of othard area is ivalice, reflection or not.

That's like saying FF14's Krile is the same character as FF5's Krile because they have the same name. FF14 has a bunch of reused concepts from other FFs but the only instance of "this is literally exactly the guy from the other FF game" is Gilgamesh

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

That's like saying FF14's Krile is the same character as FF5's Krile because they have the same name. FF14 has a bunch of reused concepts from other FFs but the only instance of "this is literally exactly the guy from the other FF game" is Gilgamesh
Non-event or weird computer simulacrum, anyway, since Lightning, Shantotto, Iroha, and Noctis have all visited XIV from their respective games.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Hogama posted:

Non-event or weird computer simulacrum, anyway, since Lightning, Shantotto, Iroha, and Noctis have all visited XIV from their respective games.

Iroha doesn't just visit. She's stuck in FFXIV, because her future timeline in FFXI is gone!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Eight-Six posted:

hell yeah ff6 rules

:hmmyes:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FF11's setting is actually really cool. I would go absolutely nuts if the "let's go visit another one of the reflections" FF14 expansions they've telegraphed was basically just Vana'diel

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

No it isnt lol its not even close to reused names like doma or krile. its ivalice, the guy even talks about ramza and the war of the lions and like the plot and poo poo, i did it this morning.

Only question is if ff12 was on hyldelyn too or a reflection, im leaning to reflection unless it was before garleans took over the old ff12 empire

Edit: oh and its not just gilgamesh being the same character, Omega is too.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 19, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gaius Marius posted:

Sabin having an "Arc" that's wrapped in his entrance, and then isn't brought up again until the end credits.
...did you not get Bum Rush? :ohdear:

There's also the flashback when you take him and Edgar to Figaro, so whichever of Sabin's two character traits you're talking about you're not technically right

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gaius Marius posted:

"Hahaha I'm the god of magic nothing can stop me except five casts of Ultima. "

Actual dialogue from Kefka

I don't think this is really a good faith argument when that's true of basically every final boss in the franchise up until like....13?

"Oh I'm the literal embodiment of death itself and I'm here to-Is that a giant pumpkin?"

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vikar Jerome posted:

No it isnt lol its not even close to reused names like doma or krile. its ivalice, the guy even talks about ramza and the war of the lions and like the plot and poo poo, i did it this morning.

Only question is if ff12 was on hyldelyn too or a reflection, im leaning to reflection unless it was before garleans took over the old ff12 empire

FF12 is happening in present day FF14, the whole joke is that they reversed the Ivalice time periods with Tactics being the distant past: Dalmasca is the first Ivalice raid where it turns out it was built over Lesalia, Fran and Gabranth are actual characters, etc. The difference is it's the Garleans instead of the Arcadian empire.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

Omega is not the same character. The omega in 14 is incredibly self contained in 14.

Also the ivalice stuff didn't happen in 14 like they did in the games. In the ivalice games FF12 is a long long ago prequel to FFT where Ashe's decisions to cut ties with the magic illuminati leads to magic slowly draining from the world. They swapped positions in the timeline in FF14's version of them. FF12 can't even be a reflection in 14's version because you literally meet actually loving Fran in that storyline and eventually Noah Gabranth appears in the sequel storyline for the Bozjan Resistance.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF14’s ivalice is close but it’s not the same ivalice. More of a “based on a true story” than the actual ivalice story

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The shards/reflections in FF14 are all their own unique places and worlds, not just The previous FF's.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The only “literally the same” entity between all of the FFs is Gilgamesh, as it is the gilgaverse

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sabin is a bear

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Omega is interesting because unlike with Gilgamesh, where it's the same guy every time, or Shinryu where it's a different one every time, there are multiple Omegas but plausibly not one for every game. So you can feasibly draw connecting lines to a few, but it's not clear which ones or how.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

It definitely isn’t the Ivalice from the Ivalice games. Like the details of Ramza and everyone else don’t line up at all. Neither does Fran or Ashe being around or anything like that. It’s a gigantic reference with a ton of reused names but isn’t literally the same place whatsoever.

Like the only way you could think it was the same Ivalice is if you never played FFT or 12. Even on the most basic timeline level, FFT takes place long after 12 and not in the distant past, so Fran and Ashe and Dalmasca definitely shouldn’t be around AFTER Ramza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

jokes posted:

The only “literally the same” entity between all of the FFs is Gilgamesh, as it is the gilgaverse

I thought the Gilgamesh in XV was a different guy though.
I mean I'm a big fan of Greg being the same guy in every FF but then in waddles XV to gently caress it all up