Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
People around me are really loving mad about kids playing ding-dong-ditch, the "game" where you knock on someone's door/ring the doorbell and run out of sight before they can get to the door. The types of replies I've seen in the last couple of weeks across multiple different posts, not verbatim:

- Call the Sheriff's Office and have them patrol the neighborhood more often.
- They might be disturbing someone elderly or with a health condition where an unexpected act like this could cause them to die.
- This one is verbatim: "Save them a spot on the Waffle House wait staff," which was surprisingly met with a reply of "We love eating at the Waffle House and are thankful for the wait staff and cooks who prepare and serve our food." A reasonable and measured response.
- Parents, you can put location tracking apps on your kids cell phones.
- They can be arrested for trespassing and harassment since they are on private property uninvited, call the Sheriff.
- This could be someone trying to escape sex trafficking. Yes, escaping being trafficked by alerting you at your front door, then running away, makes sense.
- Lots and lots of "good way to get shot," "might end up getting a response they don't expect" (hint hint) responses.

If I'm not expecting anyone to knock on my door or ring the bell, I'm just not gonna answer it. Second time I might look through the peephole. I'm not going to have a panic attack, poo poo myself, call law enforcement, get a weapon, and decry service workers, very tactically of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Chief McHeath posted:

People around me are really loving mad about kids playing ding-dong-ditch, the "game" where you knock on someone's door/ring the doorbell and run out of sight before they can get to the door. The types of replies I've seen in the last couple of weeks across multiple different posts, not verbatim:

- They might be disturbing someone elderly or with a health condition where an unexpected act like this could cause them to die.
- This one is verbatim: "Save them a spot on the Waffle House wait staff," which was surprisingly met with a reply of "We love eating at the Waffle House and are thankful for the wait staff and cooks who prepare and serve our food." A reasonable and measured response.
- They can be arrested for trespassing and harassment since they are on private property uninvited, call the Sheriff.
- This could be someone trying to escape sex trafficking. Yes, escaping being trafficked by alerting you at your front door, then running away, makes sense.
- Lots and lots of "good way to get shot," "might end up getting a response they don't expect" (hint hint) responses.

If I'm not expecting anyone to knock on my door or ring the bell, I'm just not gonna answer it. Second time I might look through the peephole. I'm not going to have a panic attack, poo poo myself, call law enforcement, get a weapon, and decry service workers, very tactically of course.

But what if you imagine the person ringing your doorbell is black?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Chief McHeath posted:

Honestly, I was all set to believe you were in my neighborhood until I got to this point. No Waffle Houses around these parts.

Is it some TikTok or meme or something going around to do them? I figured ding-dong-ditch died out with free range childrearing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Honestly, I was all set to believe you were in my neighborhood until I got to this point. No Waffle Houses around these parts.

Is it some TikTok or meme or something going around to do them? I figured ding-dong-ditch died out with free range childrearing.

There are still kids being raised in suburbs who are bored as gently caress and have literally nothing to do outside.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Uh. There is no difference between orange and white besides the color. As far as I know at least.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Nextdoor emailed me this but by the time I tried to click it to read more the post had been deleted now I think I missed an enlightening discussion about the ethics of kids being in my yard

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_F_e4Bznzk&t=32s

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

you broke my grill posted:

Nextdoor emailed me this but by the time I tried to click it to read more the post had been deleted now I think I missed an enlightening discussion about the ethics of kids being in my yard

Yeah, ND has a policy against public shaming, so if you post a picture of someone and complain about them, it will get auto-modded and sent for review to the moderators, who will probably remove it.

My guess is the kid was standing in the Public right of way within 8 feet of the road and this brain genius thinks he owns that because it’s contiguous with his yard.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'd be curious to know local bylaws of people who scream about "kids being on MY sidewalk", because I know in a few places the path that leads to your front door is technically not yours, and is actually a public path.

I also worked for the government a few years back and people tried the "this is private property" line on me. I was a representative of the Crown, I have authority on your property ya dingus. Owning a house makes a lot of people crazy.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Did you wear an actual crown when you did this?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Ralph Hurley posted:

Did you wear an actual crown when you did this?

No but I realize now I should have.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Around here, (Ontario, Canadastan) Typically the city owns "your property" up to at least the water shut off valve.
In the case of my parent's house, thats like 2/3 the way up their driveway.

At least they're not the "git off ma lawn" types.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Here in my Oregon town, the strip from the street to the sidewalk (if there is a sidewalk) is a public right of way, but maintenance of the sidewalk falls on the property owner. If there is settling and you end up with massive trip hazards due to the concrete breaking and shifting then it is up to the property owner to mitigate. Which means a lot of sidewalks are pretty hosed up.

I should say that its been about 3 years since I last checked into this policy, so perhaps its changed, but I somehow doubt it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Here in my Oregon town, the strip from the street to the sidewalk (if there is a sidewalk) is a public right of way, but maintenance of the sidewalk falls on the property owner. If there is settling and you end up with massive trip hazards due to the concrete breaking and shifting then it is up to the property owner to mitigate. Which means a lot of sidewalks are pretty hosed up.

I should say that its been about 3 years since I last checked into this policy, so perhaps its changed, but I somehow doubt it.

The other caveat is that you usually can’t cut down a tree when the roots are damaging the sidewalk. So sometimes you will see some property owners make little 6”x6” ramps out of cement from one square of sidewalk to another.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Fashionable Jorts posted:

No but I realize now I should have.

Just a workaday crown, nothing fancy.

Anyway, so much for Pitt the Elder and his

Willaim Pitt posted:

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter -- all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement!
stuff

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's why I agree with Barney about Lord Palmerston

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.
Not nextdoor but close enough.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
that's not what karma is

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Free groups are probably ripe for this thread. We've learned to get really annoyed when people claim something we're offering immediately and then are horrible at communicating to actually pick it up, sometimes ghosting entirely and forcing us to reach out to the second place person.

Other people get outraged at the idea of doing a lottery for some items which are more desirable, complaining that this interferes with how quickly the giver will be able to get rid of the item, like any item just has to be gone RIGHT NOW.

Just recently, we put out a box with some sheets in it for a woman and the mailman put our Universal Yums box on top of the box we set out for the woman. She proceeded to take both the sheet box and the snack box, then opened the snack box and texted us about it.

She was supposed to bring it back the past few days but yesterday she "wasn't leaving her house but she only lives 5 minutes away so we could pick it up". Just infuriating.

If we'd accidentally taken someone's package, we'd have returned it right away. Days wouldn't need to pass by and we wouldn't put the burden on the people whose free stuff we just got and whose package we'd stolen however inadvertently.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Free groups are probably ripe for this thread. We've learned to get really annoyed when people claim something we're offering immediately and then are horrible at communicating to actually pick it up, sometimes ghosting entirely and forcing us to reach out to the second place person.

Other people get outraged at the idea of doing a lottery for some items which are more desirable, complaining that this interferes with how quickly the giver will be able to get rid of the item, like any item just has to be gone RIGHT NOW.

Just recently, we put out a box with some sheets in it for a woman and the mailman put our Universal Yums box on top of the box we set out for the woman. She proceeded to take both the sheet box and the snack box, then opened the snack box and texted us about it.

She was supposed to bring it back the past few days but yesterday she "wasn't leaving her house but she only lives 5 minutes away so we could pick it up". Just infuriating.

If we'd accidentally taken someone's package, we'd have returned it right away. Days wouldn't need to pass by and we wouldn't put the burden on the people whose free stuff we just got and whose package we'd stolen however inadvertently.

I can't tell if this is sincere or quoting a Nextdoor post.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

To the person who stole my St Patricks day flags from the front of my house, this is not the way to get the Luck of the Irish

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

RoastBeef posted:

To the person who stole my St Patricks day flags from the front of my house, this is not the way to get the Luck of the Irish

It's how you get the luck of the English!

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I thought that was the Maxim gun.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That is pretty standard around the US. Generally, if it is a huge hazard the city tells you to fix it or they fix it and bill you.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Neutrino posted:

That is pretty standard around the US. Generally, if it is a huge hazard the city tells you to fix it or they fix it and bill you.

What? That’s stupid as hell. I’m in Connecticut and you’re responsible for leaf and snow removal of your section of the sidewalk but actual structural maintenance is the town’s responsibility (unless you specifically go at it with a jackhammer or something obviously).

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

What? That’s stupid as hell. I’m in Connecticut and you’re responsible for leaf and snow removal of your section of the sidewalk but actual structural maintenance is the town’s responsibility (unless you specifically go at it with a jackhammer or something obviously).

The way I always explain to anyone in the US is that the local government is you. Any work that is done by the town or city is funded by you through taxes, assessments, fees, or whatever. Lots of things are paid through direct assessments and not through a general city-wide tax. This is one of those things, the same as if your street or sewer gets rebuilt.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Got this notification in my spam mail account, and rushed to see the post but it was unfortunately deleted :smith:

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Update: only a PEACE OF GARBAGE would steal a flag 🍀🍀🍀

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm not on Nextdoor but I got sent this from my mom who is. Everyone be on the lookout for this new internet fad.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Back in the day they just had telephone fads where young people would plan out cow tippings over a party line but this internet fad thing is global. :ohdear:

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

Comment on a post about local vandalism

quote:

isabella well it’s nice to hear you grew up and saw the error of your ways.
On a further note I have to disagree and state that “children think they are entitled” and no parent has the right to tell them what to do. Back in my day you’d get a good bloody spanking around the ear hole!
For god sake If they’re not running amuck in shopping malls their eyeballs are glued to screens permanently.
Period.

Pure distilled Nextdoor in that the kids "running amuck" deserve physical violence but the ones just quietly doing something on their phones, they're also wrong somehow.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Atillo posted:

Comment on a post about local vandalism

Pure distilled Nextdoor in that the kids "running amuck" deserve physical violence but the ones just quietly doing something on their phones, they're also wrong somehow.

The old people around me get upset every time kids are setting off fireworks at 2:00 AM, and start complaining about the fact that the police won’t investigate and arrest them for terrorism. I normally chime in saying it sounds like it is normal teenager behavior and we all did donuts on parking lots and blew stuff up as kids. There is usually a younger guy that then calls me an idiot for using illegal fireworks 25 years ago.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I feel like it would be fun to claim responsibility for some of this stuff and just say "oh hey neighbors, that was me last night setting off fireworks, walking past your doorbell in a hoodie at 9 PM, etc. Sorry for causing any alarm!"

Just totally play it straight and accept responsibility for whatever they are so afraid or disgusted about.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah I was both people doing that handshake deal on the corner, it wasn't what it looked like

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
normally mine has some crazies. lately, just lost pets, and people looking to sell their crap.

Also don't give money to this one specific "homeless" guy "he lives in my condo complex"

have this, as a refresher

https://i.imgur.com/mLWfTY5.mp4

i'd guess pigeons, but i don't know nothing about birds

pretend i blurred Lafayette-Winona .. I don't even know where that is, and i live ... here?

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Thanks, Gary Flaskegaard

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tbh those are some pretty birds, and aren't doves technically pigeons?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

blight rhino posted:

have this, as a refresher

https://i.imgur.com/mLWfTY5.mp4

i'd guess pigeons, but i don't know nothing about birds

Mourning Doves, which are basically pigeons

they're the ones that go "hoo-woOOoo hoo-hoo-hoo" in the morning or evening, super common

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Martman posted:

Tbh those are some pretty birds, and aren't doves technically pigeons?

They're part of the same taxonomic family.

Wikipedia posted:

Columbidae (/kəˈlʌmbɪdiː/) is a bird family consisting of pigeons and doves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

blight rhino posted:

Thanks, Gary Flaskegaard

Heh, maybe for you. For me? Just a tuesday.