Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

"Who can tell what truth is?" Is incredibly tiresome and in this context pro Russia .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Discendo Vox posted:

This is a public book review of We are Bellingcat by a random analyst for CISA's Studies in Intelligence. It demonstrates that this unknown CIA analyst thinks BM's organization is likely to develop such that looks a lot like other intelligence organizations, and that Bellingcat will probably not be as revolutionary as he thinks. It does not in any way state or suggest that Higgins or Bellingcat are somehow subject to reproach or capture by the CIA.

Can I have a job?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

US/NATO can't directly intervene due to various reasons, limiting the scope of what they can do, especially preemptively.

I don't think Biden is being 'pushed' into anything given how how he was one of the main architects of Russian Containment Policy of the past 13 years. That this conflict is happening at all is an embarrassment to US/NATO Foreign Policy.

But I'm pointing out that political decisions are a confluence of interests, and the American MIC and Petro sectors - who possess and outsized influence in politics - certainly stand to gain if things pop off. If leadership has even moderately good reason to believe war is inevitable then how they approach diffusion/resolution I'd say is not motivated by what's best for Ukraine but about what they can salvage from it.

Indeed. To whit:
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1494872091602178051

quote:

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced on Friday the planned sale of 250 Abrams tanks to Poland, as Washington moves to strengthen the defences of a key eastern European ally amid a mounting threat of war between neighboring Ukraine and Russia.

Austin was speaking during a trip to Warsaw, where Polish leaders have been alarmed by the deployment of thousands of Russian forces in neighbouring Belarus, part of a huge Russian buildup around Ukraine that NATO says positions Moscow for an invasion. President Vladimir Putin denies any plan to invade.

"Some of those forces (are) within 200 miles (321 km) of the Polish border," Austin said.

"If Russia further invades Ukraine, Poland could see tens of thousands of displaced Ukrainians and others flowing across its border, trying to save themselves and their families from the scourge of war."

The sale of Abrams tanks to Poland, which is also home to a future U.S. missile defense site, is another sign of a deep and growing defence relationship with the United States. It follows the deployment of nearly 5,000 additional U.S. troops to Poland as well as additional fighter aircraft, as part of Washington's response to the Ukraine crisis.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Alchenar posted:

"Who can tell what truth is?" Is incredibly tiresome and in this context pro Russia .

Are you loving serious? "Russia will invade for sure but, if not its because we said they would" isn't "who can tell what the truth is"?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rodiel posted:

Are you loving serious? "Russia will invade for sure but, if not its because we said they would" isn't "who can tell what the truth is"?

What does it have to do with looking at exif data of a video posted by separatists?

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Paladinus posted:

What does it have to do with looking at exif data of a video posted by separatists?

i dont take stock in propaganda, no matter what side its for

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Majorian posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but my concern is that by convincing everyone that war is inevitable, it could help cause a repeat of what happened in Georgia in 2008: separatists provoke the Ukrainian military into sending in the troops, resulting in Russia sending in its own troops to overwhelm the Ukrainians and secure the breakaway regions.

the main think encouraging the separatists are the huge piles of russian troops on the other side of the border combined with years of military aid and political support. i don't think us actions are particularly relevant, they are going to egg on the russians because it's in their interest to do so. and russia has more than enough leverage to rein them in, they simply choose not to.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Wow so Zelensky went to Munich after all. That probably wasn't a good idea.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The thread devolving into a nasty ideological civil war about whether America as a whole and Joe Biden specifically is stupid or evil or neither or both while globally important poo poo that has nothing to do with the western hemisphere is happening is incredibly appropriate. It's like a stupidity fractal.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rodiel posted:

i dont take stock in propaganda, no matter what side its for

You could have easily checked the video yourself in the time you spent on posting trite platitudes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

the main think encouraging the separatists are the huge piles of russian troops on the other side of the border combined with years of military aid and political support.

Of course, I never claimed otherwise. That doesn't mean that the U.S. seemingly beating the war drums and insisting that war is inevitable won't convince the separatists (or the Ukrainians or the Russians) that hey, if war is inevitable, we'd better strike first. This is precisely what happened in Georgia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

Wow so Zelensky went to Munich after all. That probably wasn't a good idea.

His speech was well received, and he’ll back back later today (if not is back already). Risky for sure, but as of the current hour it seems to have paid off. Ukrainian interior minister had a much worse day, sharing a frontline bunker with a bunch of journalists invited there - their group seemingly got targeted explicitly.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 19, 2022

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Rodiel posted:

Can I have a job?

The gently caress is this post?

E: also answer the loving question, which part of the exif metadata is fake and western plant?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Rodiel posted:

What do you think the American response would be to a hostile power arming a hostile neighbor? Just curious

well, we already know what it would be. it was called the cuban missile crisis. the us conduct toward cuba (and other soviet-aligned regimes in the americas) has also been, historically, monstrous and cruel. either way, america's past and current sins doesn't make it guilty in ukraine, nor does it excuse russia's conduct which has been similarly ghoulish. the us arming of ukraine also has to be taken in the context of russia openly arming separatists.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 19, 2022

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

KillHour posted:

The thread devolving into a nasty ideological civil war about whether America as a whole and Joe Biden specifically is stupid or evil or neither or both while globally important poo poo that has nothing to do with the western hemisphere is happening is incredibly appropriate. It's like a stupidity fractal.

Who has mentioned Joe Biden?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rodiel posted:

Go back to the past several pages and Ctrl-F Biden. He comes up a lot.

Edit: YOU did when you accused him of wanting a cold war what the gently caress the Russian false flags and gaslighting are in the thread :argh:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Rodiel posted:

Ah nevermind, you are doing a gimmick.

Majorian posted:

When enough powerful people keep repeating "War is inevitable, war is inevitable," it tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy if history is any indication. I don't think Biden is trying to start a war, because I don't think he or his team are that smart or competent. But chanting "War is inevitable" and using intelligence that later turned out to be false to lend credence to that claim was a big factor in the U.S. invasion of Iraq. Obviously, that's not to suggest that the U.S. government wants to get directly involved in a war between Russia and Ukraine, but as others have pointed out, the American military-industrial complex does stand to profit a lot from prolonging this state of cold war.

As does the Russian military-industrial complex (and Putin in particular), of course.

Conspiratiorist posted:

US/NATO can't directly intervene due to various reasons, limiting the scope of what they can do, especially preemptively.

I don't think Biden is being 'pushed' into anything given how how he was one of the main architects of Russian Containment Policy of the past 13 years. That this conflict is happening at all is an embarrassment to US/NATO Foreign Policy.

But I'm pointing out that political decisions are a confluence of interests, and the American MIC and Petro sectors - who possess and outsized influence in politics - certainly stand to gain if things pop off. If leadership has even moderately good reason to believe war is inevitable then how they approach diffusion/resolution I'd say is not motivated by what's best for Ukraine but about what they can salvage from it.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

well, we already know what it would be. it was called the cuban missile crisis. the us conduct toward cuba (and other soviet-aligned regimes in south america) has also been, historically, monstrous and cruel. either way, america's past and current sins doesn't make it guilty in ukraine, nor does it excuse russia's conduct which has been similarly ghoulish. the us arming of ukraine also has to be taken in the context of russia openly arming separatists.

Very wrong, the US has been guilty in Russia and Ukraine since the beginning. I'm not saying Russias right (its insane that i have to keep saying this), but the US isnt right either.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xarn posted:

Ah nevermind, you are doing a gimmick.

Biden's the de facto leader of NATO, one of the two big empires Ukraine finds itself caught in-between; I don't think it's unfair to acknowledge his role in this.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

KillHour posted:

Go back to the past several pages and Ctrl-F Biden. He comes up a lot.

Edit: YOU did when you accused him of wanting a cold war what the gently caress the Russian false flags and gaslighting are in the thread :argh:

i apologize for that. i don't think biden is cognizant but i obviously hosed up

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Majorian posted:

Biden's the de facto leader of NATO, one of the two big empires Ukraine finds itself caught in-between; I don't think it's unfair to acknowledge his role in this.

They are getting me on semantics, it's fine, I was trying to be careful and I hosed up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://charter97.org/ru/news/2022/2/19/455314/

To everyone’s surprise, Russian troops may stay in Belarus after the training drills conclude.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://t.me/rian_ru/146427

is this significant or have they proposed this before?

(auto-translated from Russian)

quote:

The CSTO Secretary General said that with the consent of the Ukrainian authorities and with the sanction of the UN Security Council , peacekeepers of the organization could be brought into the Donbass

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

well, we already know what it would be. it was called the cuban missile crisis. the us conduct toward cuba (and other soviet-aligned regimes in the americas) has also been, historically, monstrous and cruel. either way, america's past and current sins doesn't make it guilty in ukraine, nor does it excuse russia's conduct which has been similarly ghoulish. the us arming of ukraine also has to be taken in the context of russia openly arming separatists.

Are the Russians not allowed to worry about the same things? They already have missiles on their doorstep, i wouldn't want more myself.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rodiel posted:

Are the Russians not allowed to worry about the same things? They already have missiles on their doorstep, i wouldn't want more myself.

What the hell are you talking about? Are these missiles in Ukraine?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Majorian posted:

Of course, I never claimed otherwise. That doesn't mean that the U.S. seemingly beating the war drums and insisting that war is inevitable won't convince the separatists (or the Ukrainians or the Russians) that hey, if war is inevitable, we'd better strike first. This is precisely what happened in Georgia.
This is just utter nonsense. You take every opportunity to declare that the US is the only actor with real agency in the situation, while suggesting that everyone else, even Washington's opponents, are but ill-fated puppets dashing to Washington's tune. Russia has amassed an invasion force and made demands. Russia is working through its separatist proxies and taking provocative military action. Biden is highlighting the threat and demanding Putin cease his belligerence.

Those are the facts, yet you continue to engage in the most incredible mental gymnastics to center the United States as the bad actor in this crisis.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

It's fair to talk about his specific actions in the context of what's going on but there's an ideological impasse of "Biden's actions are intended to stoke the flames of war and push Russia to attack!" vs "Biden's actions are intended to preempt a Russian attack by making them look bad if they do!"

Nobody is going to convince anybody else on the subject and it's just a referendum on how much you hate Biden.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007
Look, I dont want war, but a lot of you seem to. The only way to stop it is to understand that the Russians are humans to. They have the same fears that we do, its not that hard to understand.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Are these missiles in Ukraine?

He’s ostensibly trying to prevent missiles from being stationed in Ukraine.

Lol you ninja edited your post to make it more hostile. Great loving debate and discussion thread we got here

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

https://t.me/rian_ru/146427

is this significant or have they proposed this before?

(auto-translated from Russian)

Russia has made several attempts to deploy its “peacekeeping forces” there throughout the years, this looks like more of the same - just with some additional decorum.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TipTow posted:

He’s ostensibly trying to prevent missiles from being stationed in Ukraine.

Lol you ninja edited your post to make it more hostile. Great loving debate and discussion thread we got here

What missiles?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rodiel posted:

Look, I dont want war, but a lot of you seem to. The only way to stop it is to understand that the Russians are humans to. They have the same fears that we do, its not that hard to understand.

Point to someone wanting a war.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Are these missiles in Ukraine?

there are missiles in Turkey and Germany at least. do you no nothing about the cold war?

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Alchenar posted:

👆

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alchenar posted:

[Glances nervously at someone who is obviously Putin in a fake mustache with his hands down his pants]

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Oh come on. Point to where anyone in this thread has stated that they want war.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rodiel posted:

there are missiles in Turkey and Germany at least.

No, there are not.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

This is just utter nonsense. You take every opportunity to declare that the US is the only actor with real agency in the situation,

That's just demonstrably untrue. I've said multiple times that I think Russia is one of the principal parties at fault in this episode.

quote:

while suggesting that everyone else, even Washington's opponents, are but ill-fated puppets dashing to Washington's tune.

This is also untrue. I've said multiple times that this is a contest between two crumbling empires

Love my new red text btw!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

The missiles that could be stationed in Ukraine were it to join NATO?

Rodiel posted:

there are missiles in Turkey and Germany at least. do you no nothing about the cold war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

KillHour posted:

[Glances nervously at someone who is obviously Putin in a fake mustache with his hands down his pants]

if putin wanted war, why hasent he invaded already?