Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I love the old GW hex bullets, even if the paint they contained wasn't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

I love the old GW hex bullets, even if the paint they contained wasn't very good.

The ones with the screw off caps that would require vice grips if even the smallest amount of paint got in the threads? Or the ones that looked like that but actually had the flip top?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The ones with the self-locking caps, yeah. Terrible design, cost way too much, but nostalgia's a bitch.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

The ones with the self-locking caps, yeah. Terrible design, cost way too much, but nostalgia's a bitch.

Yeah, the cure for nostalgia is to look at your early 90s Warhams and compare them to the models you can get today.

compared to

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The ones with the screw off caps that would require vice grips if even the smallest amount of paint got in the threads? Or the ones that looked like that but actually had the flip top?

Left to right rating: god-tier, WTAF?, acceptable.

If you want the old good GW paints that I still have usable pots of fukkan 25 years after buying them then just head out onto the internet and find someone that'll ship Coat D'arms to you. They're the same company still making the same colours that they did for GW. When they switched to the suicide twist tops they moved supplier elsewhere and that's why Blood Red went to poo poo at the same time and a bunch of other good colours stopped existing.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Left to right rating: god-tier, WTAF?, acceptable.

If you want the old good GW paints that I still have usable pots of fukkan 25 years after buying them then just head out onto the internet and find someone that'll ship Coat D'arms to you. They're the same company still making the same colours that they did for GW. When they switched to the suicide twist tops they moved supplier elsewhere and that's why Blood Red went to poo poo at the same time and a bunch of other good colours stopped existing.

I did not know that! That is good to know. That explains a lot really.

Unrelated to minis, I just saw this mega model of the Avro Lancaster that looks amazing. 1/32nd scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJIGlkRWB38

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I did not know that! That is good to know. That explains a lot really.

Unrelated to minis, I just saw this mega model of the Avro Lancaster that looks amazing. 1/32nd scale.

Holy mother of god. As soon as he pulled out that sprue with the cabling, my brain noped right out of that. I still have nightmares of an old kit to build the atlas rocket and launch tower. You had to glue bits of pipe end to end to make full pipes for the tower. And I could never get the darn things to actually stay together. That kit got lost to time and I legit don't even remember who made it as I was like, 10 years old.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I remember seeing Wingnut Wings' original test shots of this kit on display at ScaleModelWorld Telford 2019 and it was incredible, absolutely unreal amount of detail. It's a real shame Peter Jackson closed the company down (amidst some possibly dodgy tax stuff they were getting upto in NZ) but I'd believe the rumours that the development of this kit was what really ended up breaking the back of WnW, which never really broke even afaik. It's fantastic to see it finally being released though, albeit by Border. Hopefully the rest of WnW's tools get bought by other companies and don't get stuck in legal limbo or sat on by Peter Jackson for the rest of time.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I hate to ask this because it might sound stupid, but is this the same Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I hate to ask this because it might sound stupid, but is this the same Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame?

Yes, he's a huge WW1 buff

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just about the only thing I did buy in a large batch were the AK 3rd Gen Acrylics. I bought 3 bottles at a local store, and loved them instantly. They've performed better than any hobby paint I've ever used. Great on the brush, go down smooth, very opaque, separate less in the bottle than any paint I've seen. I ordered a bunch of the sets from AK's website after that, and they've all been great. Now that AK has expanded the line into military colors, and pre-thinned airbrush paints, I'm looking at make AK 3rd Gen my primary paint, and will fully replace the Vallejo over time with AK.

Interesting, a friend of mine said something similar. I don't have many paints and I was curious if I should go AK compared to the Vallejo model air

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Grumio posted:

Interesting, a friend of mine said something similar. I don't have many paints and I was curious if I should go AK compared to the Vallejo model air

What initially twigged me on on the 3rd Gen was AK actually said "Okay, our initial line of acrylics were okay, nothing brilliant, we can do better", and then they went out and reformulated and produced 3rd Gen, which are great. So few hobby paint companies can ever admit their paint or whatever else product is not gods gift to man, and they formulate once and then stick with it for the next few decades even if no one is particularly happy with it. AK recognized they could make a better product, and they went out and did it.

And they've done that before in the past with various products of theirs. They initially had small and mediocre in house brand of oils, but they recognized they weren't great, so they started offering Abteilung 502 oils which were far superior. I think Abteilung 502 is wholly owned by AK now, or at least has a controlling interest, and they've become basically the defacto standard in hobby oils. You can only get better with artists oils, and those you can spend far, far more depending on how rare the pigments are in the color you're after.

They're not a perfect company, as they've had some stupid controversies with some of their publications, and a weird on-again off-again spat with Mig Jiminez over at Ammo, but I can't fault them on their finishing products.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone else in the thread doing the Hachette/Agora models Bismarck, or Titanic?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I saw this on Revells website earlier, the product shot of Slav...ERR.. ahhh, I mean "Boba Fetts StarShip". Generally you get a pro modeler to finish your kits for product shots, to spark the imagination of potential buyers and show what could be if they put their mind and skills to it.

Nope, don't got time for that. Get little cousin Dieter to finish it, boss. I just bought him one of those Testors paint carousels.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It is odd because the olive green looks pretty good, the red looks ok, the weathering is ok. I think it is just the odd forest green camo or whatever that ruins it. The pictures I see don't have those dark green splotches. I think they might have just had too much paint on their drybrush, haha.

Edit: On closer inspection and looking at other pics of that kit, I swear it looks like the white/off white portion of the kit is that Rustoleum texture spray for outdoor furniture and stuff.

Like this stuff:

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 20, 2022

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
They did the same thing with the Razorcrest. The exterior of the model in the promo shots looks like they blasted it with the graniest shittest spray can, but the cockpit is the worst.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I can only assume the logic is that that want to show kids how they can make it look?

I know when I started building models as a kid, I'd get frustrated when I couldn't get it to look like the pictures but... This seems like a bad plan, Revell.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It is odd because the olive green looks pretty good, the red looks ok, the weathering is ok. I think it is just the odd forest green camo or whatever that ruins it. The pictures I see don't have those dark green splotches. I think they might have just had too much paint on their drybrush, haha.

I think the original is supposed to be weathering, but whoever painted the model didn't understand that.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think if it was aimed at kids it may have come pre-painted. You can get a surprising number of good looking pre-painted models for kids. I got my son an X-Wing one. I have the big kid version of a pre-painted model, I am building the Hachette/Agora Bismarck, because painting a 1/200 scale Bismarck is a loving pain. I know because I also have the 1/200 wooden and photo etch Hachette Bismark. I also have the 1/200 Hachette Hood! I might have a problem!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nice, a fellow goon who uses their main living area as a hobby area. I've subdivided my living room, half hobby area, half couch and TV area.

I'd love to have a dedicated hobby room, but unless I win the lottery or something I'm probably going to be condo living for the rest of my life. When life gives you lemons, construct a crude lemon-based hobby area.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That is my auxiliary hobby area during the Winter when my garage gets a little too cold to work in. Normally that space is reserved for puzzles and board games and the occasional sit down dinner. Just me, the kid, and the dog in the house so there is no one to check the expanse of my hobby miasma as it spreads through the house.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I saw this on Revells website earlier, the product shot of Slav...ERR.. ahhh, I mean "Boba Fetts StarShip". Generally you get a pro modeler to finish your kits for product shots, to spark the imagination of potential buyers and show what could be if they put their mind and skills to it.

Nope, don't got time for that. Get little cousin Dieter to finish it, boss. I just bought him one of those Testors paint carousels.

That's a rerelease of their Snap-Tite kit from over a decade ago. I actually bought and built it back then, the overall kit is not all that bad but like most of Revell's older Star Wars stuff with Snap-Tite origins it's a victim of box scale.

Not the first time Revell's own product images have issues though, here's a shot of the box of one of their MiG-21s.

It's not supposed to hang out like that.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I know others have had better experiences but from what I've seen and experienced I just avoid anything that says Revell on it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

That's a rerelease of their Snap-Tite kit from over a decade ago. I actually bought and built it back then, the overall kit is not all that bad but like most of Revell's older Star Wars stuff with Snap-Tite origins it's a victim of box scale.
It looks like they painted it exactly like the box art, and failed to realise that the green patches are weathering illuminated differently by passing laser blasts.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Anyone else in the thread doing the Hachette/Agora models Bismarck, or Titanic?

Hello! Sadly, while the titanic interests me some, I'm still too neck deep in the leopard 2a6 model from them to worry about the titanic. I also am unsure where I'd display it once finished if I had bought either. Been watching world of wayne's build of the bismark and it has been pretty cool though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vorenus posted:

I know others have had better experiences but from what I've seen and experienced I just avoid anything that says Revell on it.

They occasionally have a genuinely great model kit, but they're always surrounded by a sea of garbage. It's like they have one decent designer in the company, and when he starts a new kit design it's gangbusters. Everything else though is seemingly designed by boneheads with little care for the subject matter or attention to detail.

Bizarre company.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They occasionally have a genuinely great model kit, but they're always surrounded by a sea of garbage. It's like they have one decent designer in the company, and when he starts a new kit design it's gangbusters. Everything else though is seemingly designed by boneheads with little care for the subject matter or attention to detail.

Bizarre company.

And as has been mentioned before, they also have a trove of molds from Monogram, which was the only game in town (in the US anyway) for 1/48 scale military aircraft through the '60s and '70s, so if you bought this kit in 2011:

you were buying a version of this kit that I built in 1973:

but which appears to date back to 1959 if you believe ScaleMates.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The flip side of Revel is that sometimes they rebadge a perfectly good kit from a better company for cheaper, like the ICM MiG-25. May as well get the same pressing for ten bucks less.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

Hello! Sadly, while the titanic interests me some, I'm still too neck deep in the leopard 2a6 model from them to worry about the titanic. I also am unsure where I'd display it once finished if I had bought either. Been watching world of wayne's build of the bismark and it has been pretty cool though.

This response is extremely on point because I was going to ask the other builders how they were going to display their ships. My wooden ones are lighter and totally static. Wayne is not lying when he says how heavy the Bismarck is. It is a beast! The Leopard looks really cool, will be exciting to see it come together. Unfortunately not a time period that super interests me, but I would love to see a Char B1 Bis model in that scale. I think that is very unlikely though. It seems that German tanks are the ones that get the most attention.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

grassy gnoll posted:

The flip side of Revel is that sometimes they rebadge a perfectly good kit from a better company for cheaper, like the ICM MiG-25. May as well get the same pressing for ten bucks less.

At my local hobby shop Revell reboxes of Zvezda kits sit on a shelf right above the original and cost $10 more.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I think in the UK/EU we get a bit luckier with Revell kits than folks across the pond, as it's very very rare for any of the old Revell USA/Monogram/Revellogram ancient kits to get sold over here (and there's little to no market for american muscle car kits etc too), and so what we tend to get is the Revell Germany stuff, which was a separate company from Revell USA using the same brand but they had a long convoluted history and is now the only Revell left standing and I believe owns its US cousin's assets.

Revell Germany produced some brilliant 1/72 aircraft kits in the 90s and into the 00s but after they started hitting financial issues began reboxing other manufacturers' kits and so there's a good chance anything released by them in the last 15 years is actually Academy, Hasegawa, ICM, Special Hobby, Zvezda etc and so Scalemates is essential to check before you buy one of their kits. Their decals these days are pretty great though, I think they use Cartograf, so I will often choose them over a Zvezda or ICM boxing if the price isn't too dissimilar.

Another thing to bear in mind w/r/t Revell is that they are essentially a budget manufacturer - they don't attempt to compete with Tamiya because they have to shoot for a lower price point to sit on non-model retailers' shelves, and so this is reflected in the amount of QA they can afford and so you see more flash/short shots and so on.

Also - Revell boxes are end-opening, and legendarily terrible and flimsy, so if you stack them flat in your stash you're liable to bend all the sprues inside them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, over the Christmas break I spotted a Revell 1/72 Bradley kit in a local newsagent and grabbed it because it was about a tenner. Worst case scenario it never gets built like the Trumpeter Bradley I bought a few years back, but maybe someday I end up doing 1/72 "modern" war again and it goes with the USMC I never got past base-coating for Afghanistan.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Churned a bunch today.

Zvezda 1/100 M3

Trumpeter 1/72 T-34 model 1942

Zvezda 1/72 Soviet Cavalry, early war

Freehand is good
    Vinyl track is bad
    I seriously need a real camera
    Living with a fluffy orange cat is not conducive to model building and photography

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That's a great looking M3, how did you do the periscopes? The T-34 also looks great, but it looks like it has less detail than the much smaller M3.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, over the Christmas break I spotted a Revell 1/72 Bradley kit in a local newsagent and grabbed it because it was about a tenner. Worst case scenario it never gets built like the Trumpeter Bradley I bought a few years back, but maybe someday I end up doing 1/72 "modern" war again and it goes with the USMC I never got past base-coating for Afghanistan.

I'm currently working on a Bradley as well, but it's this boxing. Decent fun but be warned that there's a lot of tiny fiddly bits, I also wouldn't follow the suggested locations for the track links (Instructions have you use 5 links on the top at the front and back, I ended up using 4 and using the 5th on the bottom for a smoother transition) I also don't understand the purpose of having a hatch on the rear that can be built to open to reveal the emptiness inside, but Revell gonna Revell.

Personally I buy and build Revell because it's cheap and easily available and I don't really care about accuracy, but I do research every kit before buying it to make sure I'm not picking up some ancient remold as I've been burned by that in the past. Then again, I've also knowingly bought MisterCraft kits so maybe my judgement shouldn't be relied on.

By the way, this is pretty much the worst Revell kit I never bought despite seeing it all the time at local stores. It even has raised panel lines for roundels...

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

It even has raised panel lines for roundels...

That's something that really annoys me on ship kits. They often used to have deck markings on carriers or helicopter pads moulded raised (presumably to make it easier to hand paint them), when decals would have been far more appropriate.

Revell's (ex-Dragon's) HMS Invincible is one of the worst offenders for this - at scale these would like about 2ft tall barriers all over the deck!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

I'm currently working on a Bradley as well, but it's this boxing. Decent fun but be warned that there's a lot of tiny fiddly bits, I also wouldn't follow the suggested locations for the track links (Instructions have you use 5 links on the top at the front and back, I ended up using 4 and using the 5th on the bottom for a smoother transition) I also don't understand the purpose of having a hatch on the rear that can be built to open to reveal the emptiness inside, but Revell gonna Revell.
Ah, see the reference to the Trumpeter kit is me buying the same kit as you (in this box), then getting to my parent's house and seeing the Trumpeter kit that was still sitting in the box untouched since 2012 :v:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Do yourself a favor and check out steps 9-12 in the instructions: You're gonna be building a decently detailed hatch with tiny little hinges, but there's literally nothing inside the outer shell to warrant having that hatch around unless you do some heavy scratchbuilding.

I just glued it shut.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It'll be used for wargaming so I'll do the same. I'll also slice off the rifle barrels sticking out the sides too, because lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Arquinsiel posted:

It'll be used for wargaming so I'll do the same. I'll also slice off the rifle barrels sticking out the sides too, because lol.

But how will the fellas shoot people?