Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What mask is that? I recognize the basic 3M mask type but the filters seem round/circular like the Honeywell ones, not the sort of wedge shaped 3M filters all of mine except the secure click have.

That's a 6500 series with aftermarket SafetyWorks filters. I wouldn't trust the filters, especially when genuine 3M ones are readily available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gradenko_2000 posted:

On the one hand, they wouldn't have announced the Queen having COVID until they knew that she'd have recovered from it.

On the other hand, the people at the top seem to have a rather poor conception of what constitutes recovery from COVID, so perhaps they're still jumping the gun either way.

Yeah it was announced a few days ago that Charles had covid again and had potentially exposed her and she'd taken a test but the palace staff were refusing to say what her result was, they obviously delayed the announcement that she was c+ for several days

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like how the Reapers in XCOM 2 are basically the CSPAM Doom Crew

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
Covid's going to kill the queen and then we're going to have to admit it's not mild ban masks

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ebola Roulette posted:

Covid's going to kill the queen and then we're going to have to admit it's not mild ban masks

If it kills the Queen, the Commonwealth will honour her memory by saying she was in terrible health anyway and could've died at any minute

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Aren't the remaining effective MAB treatments so rare that only the elite of the elite get them? Like your Kochs, maybe your Bidens and BoJos, but not your Senators, MPs, or figureheads like the Queen? Especially given that at her age even with the treatment, yeah.

Like I was under the impression that for most of even the lower-tier elite, that basically your main advantages from wealth WRT COVID are being able to live in such a manner that you are less likely to contract it in the first place, easy access to constant testing, and most importantly when you do get it you can have private doctors constantly observing you and providing emergency O2 as needed, rather than having to rely on an overworked nurse who is monitoring you and a dozen other soon-to-be-corpses.

Like for most of the elite - and especially the Queen given her age - I'm pretty sure it's all down to luck and whether or not she lives will have little to do with her wealth and status and much to do with her genes, her relative health, and how much of a viral load she got.

Yeah apparently the antibody treatments are fairly hard to make in terms of MFG cycle time

With the current lightspeed evolution, it's not taking long for most antibody treatments to become ineffective.

I think only a few like VIR had any staying power since they used a novel approach vs the spike protein approach.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ebola Roulette posted:

Died WITH covid

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Henry Kissinger gonna outlive another one

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

they shouldn't have taken the queen out of her box

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Covid 19 to Queen 2

And that's check!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Well, the inevitable happened. My wife (preschool teacher) popped positive on Thursday morning. She upgraded to wearing Auras in the classroom when Omicron hit back in November, which is probably why she has evaded it so long.

She has pretty bad asthma and is very susceptible to bronchitis historically. Thursday night her SpO2 was hovering around 91-92, with pressure in her chest, completely clogged sinuses and some pretty deep chunky coughs. Nasal irrigation helped some, so we managed to avoid hitting the 90% go to the ED trigger.
She seems to have stabilized with a general lovely feeling, some coughing, extreme tiredness, still some coughing and low grade fever. Had a telehealth appointment yesterday and got prednisone and augmentin, which seems to be helping with the nasal swelling and clearing the sinus infection (yellow-green discharge from nasal irrigation).
She's double vaxed (Feb 21) and boosted back in Sept 21.

Hopefully she continues to improve.

I have been testing negative daily and wearing Auras around the house, but I fear my time has come. Woke up this morning with a fever, aches, and my voice is a couple octaves lower from nasal drainage and coughing. I will be extremely surprised if my test today is negative.

I don't like this.

Note: She had to text the parents in her class to announce the last-minute closure of her classroom since she tested pos @ 715am and school started @ 8. Most of the replies were the expected "Oh, I'm sorry" "Hope its mild" (these were from the moms). The one dad who replied "OK" made us both laugh. Then there was the surgical nurse who replied: "Be sure to take plenty of Vitamin D, C, and elderberry extract." This also made us laugh. The running joke is "You feeling ok, you need me to get you anything? More elderberry?" :rubby:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Hashy posted:

Is this thread really going to go in on someone for wanting to take every precaution against the coron of virus

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Dustcat posted:

they shouldn't have taken the queen out of her box

Chuckie just wants to be King (too bad he'll be like Prince Edmund, Duke of Edinburgh AKA The Black Adder).

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Sorry to hear, I hope it works out for you and your wife. Best wishes.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Covid 19 to Queen 2

And that's check!

lol

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

etalian posted:

Yeah apparently the antibody treatments are fairly hard to make in terms of MFG cycle time

With the current lightspeed evolution, it's not taking long for most antibody treatments to become ineffective.

I think only a few like VIR had any staying power since they used a novel approach vs the spike protein approach.

Eli Lilly claims it's new monoclonal also works on BA.2:

quote:

Pseudovirus and authentic virus testing demonstrate that bebtelovimab retains full neutralizing activity against Omicron – currently the predominant variant in the U.S. In addition, pseudovirus testing with bebtelovimab demonstrates that it retains neutralization against all other known variants of interest and concern, including BA.2.

Speculated before that if antibodies, vaccine induced or synthetic, have any long term potential to prevent COVID it will be identified through monoclonal treatment research. If there's no set of antibodies that will always work against SARS-CoV-2 it would look like the current situation where every new treatment quickly gets evaded, but maybe it's early yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

[Topol brainworms]

This is one of those things that perhaps has a technical basis, but which would be absolutely disastrous as public policy.

Like, some people are more functional than others at higher levels of inebriation. Should we consider a higher BAC to be acceptable when high‐functioning alcoholics are pulled over? LOL no.

Why are we humoring these chucklefucks? The only legitimate reason to skip a vaccine is allergies to all available formulations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Golli posted:

Well, the inevitable happened. My wife (preschool teacher) popped positive on Thursday morning. She upgraded to wearing Auras in the classroom when Omicron hit back in November, which is probably why she has evaded it so long.

She has pretty bad asthma and is very susceptible to bronchitis historically. Thursday night her SpO2 was hovering around 91-92, with pressure in her chest, completely clogged sinuses and some pretty deep chunky coughs. Nasal irrigation helped some, so we managed to avoid hitting the 90% go to the ED trigger.
She seems to have stabilized with a general lovely feeling, some coughing, extreme tiredness, still some coughing and low grade fever. Had a telehealth appointment yesterday and got prednisone and augmentin, which seems to be helping with the nasal swelling and clearing the sinus infection (yellow-green discharge from nasal irrigation).
She's double vaxed (Feb 21) and boosted back in Sept 21.

Hopefully she continues to improve.

I have been testing negative daily and wearing Auras around the house, but I fear my time has come. Woke up this morning with a fever, aches, and my voice is a couple octaves lower from nasal drainage and coughing. I will be extremely surprised if my test today is negative.

I don't like this.

Note: She had to text the parents in her class to announce the last-minute closure of her classroom since she tested pos @ 715am and school started @ 8. Most of the replies were the expected "Oh, I'm sorry" "Hope its mild" (these were from the moms). The one dad who replied "OK" made us both laugh. Then there was the surgical nurse who replied: "Be sure to take plenty of Vitamin D, C, and elderberry extract." This also made us laugh. The running joke is "You feeling ok, you need me to get you anything? More elderberry?" :rubby:

Sorry to hear, and wishing you and your wife the best. May your elderberry supplies be plentiful, and your recovery swift.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ohjessicamarie/status/1495395694693261321

You are never going to loving guess what the quoted tweet is replying to

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Nocturtle posted:

Eli Lilly claims it's new monoclonal also works on BA.2:

Speculated before that if antibodies, vaccine induced or synthetic, have any long term potential to prevent COVID it will be identified through monoclonal treatment research. If there's no set of antibodies that will always work against SARS-CoV-2 it would look like the current situation where every new treatment quickly gets evaded, but maybe it's early yet.

I wonder how long it'll take for covid to beat these too /sarcasm

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

This is one of those things that perhaps has a technical basis, but which would be absolutely disastrous as public policy.

Like, some people are more functional than others at higher levels of inebriation. Should we consider a higher BAC to be acceptable when high‐functioning alcoholics are pulled over? LOL no.

Why are we humoring these chucklefucks? The only legitimate reason to skip a vaccine is allergies to all available formulations.

It only makes sense as a way to massage the numbers in the shortest possible term: "See! Actually we are more vaccinated! *brief pause* - no that doesn't mean people aren't getting infected and dying, because uhh..."

To be fair I think "not legally allowed" and "too frail" are both additional legitimate reasons.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BudrykZack/status/1495398692588863489

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

gradenko_2000 posted:

(..)

It seems the snowflake got triggered by the word "face".

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

Sure will, if you're an undertaker.

Lots of new business. A real windfall.

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Derfel/status/1494812936572919808

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/ohjessicamarie/status/1495395694693261321

Covid brain fog

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ram dass in hell posted:

This is absolutely deranged and it's funny you like to lecture people itt on not being as acclimated to the insanity of our current circumstances as you are. The image of 4 dudes at a card table with 1 in a respirator is wonderful though!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Strep Vote posted:

hosed up we watched this guy maim himself and literally could not do anything about it lol

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

Nocturtle posted:

The Denmark data really looks very bad, esp in comparison with other places that had a well-defined Omicron wave (NYC shown here):

Denmark case rates:

NYC case rates for comparison:

Stark difference in trends. Really doesn't suggest great things for places where BA.2 is just getting started.

Uhoh!

Denmark is a total loving nightmare.

And unless I'm further off base than usual, we're going to see that nightmare faithfully replicated in the US inside a month, tops.

Go a few posts down in Aaron Derfel's recent thread and you start running into preprints about BA.2's heightened pathogenicity.

Recall that Omicron "deal" where we got reduced case-by-case severity, in exchange for much higher contagiousness?

Well ....

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
when are they going to give ba.2 a badass name

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Louisgod posted:

BA.2 Baracus

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Covid 19 to Queen 2

lol

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

gradenko_2000 posted:

BA.2 Baracus

is not afraid of flying unfortunately

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sonatinas posted:

is not afraid of flying unfortunately

Fauchishly: We need to wait for more data to determine that

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

Louisgod posted:

When the body count gets high enough.

Which I expect will happen reasonably soon. Six weeks for the US, tops, unless we're a lot luckier than we deserve to be.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

salient posted:

men are getting increasingly aggressive with the "take your mask off i just wanna see your pretty smile" poo poo in public
Sorry to quote this from like ten pages back but yes. My husband remarked yesterday on our walk that he notices dudes aggressively leering at me like he's not even there, and he's not an unimposing guy. Usually I don't get looks like that unless I'm alone because I'm small and twiggy. Chuddy assholes think it's really funny to rev their engine at me while I'm in the crosswalk or pretend like they're going to drive into me. Then they get really mad when I don't answer their hooting. I used to confront guys like that because 99% of the time they're cowards who pretend you don't exist when you actually speak to them, but people seem (more?) unhinged now and I'm not trying to get loving shot or stabbed or run over for real.

Last summer a nervous man coming out of a gas station pulled his mask down to thank me profusely for wearing a dress, because you just don't see enough of that. :psyduck: I don't think the PNW is doin' okay!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

gradenko_2000 posted:

BA.2 Baracus

Pitying the fools calling Omicron mild.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

quote:

"It might be, from a human's perspective, a worse virus than BA.1 and might be able to transmit better and cause worse disease," says Dr. Daniel Rhoads, section head of microbiology at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. Rhoads reviewed the study but was not involved in the research.

gee thanks, but can I get the virus’ perspective on this? both sides, ya know

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

zone posted:

I wonder how long it'll take for covid to beat these too /sarcasm

In this case am cheering for the godless multinational pharma corps to trip upon some set of antibodies the virus can't evolve around. If they can't do that then it's very unlikely vaccines ever can, and vaccines are the only plausible way out of this horrorshow. Esp as the treatments themselves are unlikely to ever scale production to the number of cases.

Or we could all just wear good masks for a couple of weeks and useless people like me stay inside. That's just unrealistic though.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Covid 19 to Queen 2

And that's check!

The dead man's switch has mutated into an equal opportunity, anti monarch cheese lüngër

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Covid 19 to Queen 2

thread title please