Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

isaboo posted:

I vaguely recall something in the media from a few months ago, saying that Putin has some kind of progressive disease and that he is looking for a successor. Is this partly why he is apparently so off the rails?

Anyone know what I'm talking about or did I just make that up?

There always have been rumours like that about him, but nothing has ever materialized in the form of evidence, for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I've seen other Putin speeches before. This is....way different.

It sounded like he was seething. It sounded like it was personal to him.

Bit worrying not gonna lie.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

He sounded no worse than that essay he wrote a year ago tbh

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Even if Putin could find a successor, I suspect any politician of merit would look at the way he's acting and distance themselves quickly.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Has the Russian strategy shifted post-speech or was this always going to be the way things were to go?

Did I pick a bad time to relax?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

I want to issue a correction.

This was a motherfucking war declaration.

Wait, did he just explicitly declare war?

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

So what now. Russia guarantees the security of these two regions. But it did so anyway?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There always have been rumours like that about him, but nothing has ever materialized in the form of evidence, for obvious reasons.

I think we have exhibit A-Z right here right now

Does he just sound like Trump's whineyness but in Russian? Because he LOOKS completely high on something

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Haramstufe Rot posted:

So what now. Russia guarantees the security of these two regions. But it did so anyway?

Yeah, assuming a major invasion does not kick off, this'll become a theme of claiming territories, funding insurgents in others and just slowly taking territory away through a bait-and-switch tactic.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

When this crisis was in its infancy and we still thought of Putin as a cold blooded mastermind instead of this I remember looking up Russian leaders after seeing someone say they expected him to reign for 20 more years and they do not live long. The longest lived one was I think kruschev at 77 which is short for a world leader who usually have access to the worlds best healthcare. In imperial days the tsars would mainly die in their 40s and 50s.

So no I’ve never heard it but it wouldn’t surprise me for him to have a progressive disease since he’s 69 and Russian leaders seem to have some strange curse

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

When this crisis was in its infancy and we still thought of Putin as a cold blooded mastermind instead of this I remember looking up Russian leaders after seeing someone say they expected him to reign for 20 more years and they do not live long. The longest lived one was I think kruschev at 77 which is short for a world leader who usually have access to the worlds best healthcare. In imperial days the tsars would mainly die in their 40s and 50s.

So no I’ve never heard it but it wouldn’t surprise me for him to have a progressive since he’s 69 and Russian leaders seem to have some strange curse
It's called vodka :yayclod:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Now it can pretend to have legal casus belli - they'll ask Russia for aid, and Russia will come to "defend them" from "occupation". This could be seen as necessary for domestic optics.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He said he would recognize the republics and if Ukraine continued hostility "it would be their responsiblity"

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, he did not say that explicitly. He shat on Ukraine as corrupt and NATO as evil to prequalify why he wants to recognize the separatist regions. Ukraine seeing this recognition as a war declaration is likely though.

His whole speech was historical rambling on why Russians in these regions need to be saved. He did it right before signing and he meant this speech to be an explanation of why he is signing this.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 21, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

signed a 'mutual aide' document and said ukraine must stop the ongoing violence in donbas (that ukraine isn't doing) or else they're responsible for the bloodbath

i think, technically, no

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Stonks looking very good mr President!!!

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/ignis_fatum/status/1495843671362711556

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Which borders of the LPR/DPR did he recognize? The current lines or the ones that mean the Ukrainian army is currently kilometers deep inside?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

It's called vodka :yayclod:

A lot of them barely drink, FYI.

TulliusCicero posted:

I think we have exhibit A-Z right here right now

Does he just sound like Trump's whineyness but in Russian? Because he LOOKS completely high on something

You can definitely think of it as a Trumpian speech, like Trump going on a 90-minute rant about the wrongs of the Emancipation Proclamation, "as someone passionate about history".

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

So if what you folks are saying about the speech is true (ie his tone and mannerisms) and it certainly sounds like it is:

Well that goes a long goddamn way to explain why his ministers/dept heads (sorry unsure of correct title to use) looked like they were staring down guns just off camera earlier today. Because if he's like this ON camera, I can only imagine what they're dealing with OFF.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oh poo poo that kid better watch out for open windows.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

eke out posted:

signed a 'mutual aide' document and said ukraine must stop the ongoing violence in donbas (that ukraine isn't doing) or else they're responsible for the bloodbath

i think, technically, no

Yeah the next step is 'Ukraine you must withdraw from the territory of these new states that you are occupying', Ukraine says no, boom - pretext for invasion.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

fatherboxx posted:

link for thhis?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

fatherboxx posted:

Is Biden having a field day?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

He said he would recognize the republics and if Ukraine continued hostility "it would be their responsiblity"

Rad Russian posted:

No, he did not say that explicitly. He shat on Ukraine as corrupt and NATO as evil to prequalify why he wants to recognize the separatist regions. Ukraine seeing this recognition as a war declaration is likely though.

His whole speech was historical rambling on why Russians in these regions need to be saved.

eke out posted:

i think, technically, no

Ah so as I thought, just double-checking. Cheers.

I'll need to watch this in full tomorrow. Thankfully, I've watched several dozens of video game movies, including such gems as the third Dungeon Siege movie (with Dolph Lundgren, mind you), so I think I can withstand watching this continuously as well. I wish the evening was freer for me to just sit down now, but oh well.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/EEMemez/status/1495844742990606345

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Yeah the next step is 'Ukraine you must withdraw from the territory of these new states that you are occupying', Ukraine says no, boom - pretext for invasion.

Ukraine is currently brutally occupying Mariupol and must be stopped.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Kinda? He announced an alliance with Donbas and said that if Ukrainian shelling of Donbas doesn't stop they will be held accountable. Since Ukraine doesn't have control over Donbas shelling their own territory, it basically means war?

e: ok, yeah, not explicit, no

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

fatherboxx posted:

Committing Economic Suicide to own the Leninists

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Gaukler posted:

Which borders of the LPR/DPR did he recognize? The current lines or the ones that mean the Ukrainian army is currently kilometers deep inside?

They way Putin phrased it was immediate ceasefire, so I'd assume the current lines. Not that its really worth anything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

link for thhis?

https://smart-lab.ru/q/map/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Committing Economic Suicide to own the Leninists

Or Putin is trying to resurrect the Soviet Union by crashing the capitalist economy.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

Or Putin is trying to resurrect the Soviet Union by crashing the capitalist economy.

Crashing this Market...WITH NO SURVIVORS

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm curious if this speech of our anti-Leninist comrade does affect the calculus that Russia is on an anti-imperialist agenda here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Aramis posted:

I will admit that I'm not particularly versed in Eastern European culture and sensibilities, and there's probably a lot being lost in translation here. That being said, that speech comes across as shockingly inefficient rhetoric-wise to my ears. What purpose does this serve? It's not like anyone who isn't already fully on board could possibly be swayed by this.

Add to that the bizarrely distanced event from this morning, and I can't help but think that Putin really does not have a single advisor working for him.

The target audience is domestic and already in the wringer- but yeah, this is very much the product of a regime that's been choking on its own state propaganda system for long enough that it's losing touch.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

So no I’ve never heard it but it wouldn’t surprise me for him to have a progressive disease since he’s 69 and Russian leaders seem to have some strange curse

I would be wary of going too far with internet diagnostics, still. People are quick to make assumptions about old leaders like Trump or Biden, and it's not particularly surprising either. They are old and even with the best genes and habits you will slow up. But aging process is individual and even young people can get tumours for that matter. There's just not much point in it and at worst you get false hopes of all those bastards soon kicking the bucket. Looking at you, Kissinger...

I'm also quite sure that soon they will figure out how to make billionaires stop aging at all, even if it means they will have to inject baby blood into their veins. I wouldn't be surprised if world leaders already have some prototypes...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/DanielBerman2/status/1495848071858634753
https://twitter.com/DanielBerman2/status/1495848078863220740

I think this is good analysis, paritularly on why Munich/Hitler comparisons don't work. And this is why the 'what are the objectives of a potential invasion of Ukraine?' convesation is so difficult - Putin is looking for respect from the West and struggling to grasp how to get it.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/maytham956/status/1495848527167209478

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's literally like a dozen people there.

And they're draft dodgers as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CommieGIR posted:

They’ll just invent some new countries then!!!