Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Koos Group posted:

Are there Russian troops in there already?

Not officially but that convoy looks convincing enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Sinteres posted:

I haven't toxxed, but Russian troops in the already existing borders of the separatist republics counting as a new invasion seems extremely petty to me, and not what people meant when they said invasion. Of course if there's a push to expand the separatist republics into the rest of their provinces, that's different.

Invading Ukraine does not count as invading Ukraine? Or do you also recognize their new status as independent states?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Koos Group posted:

Technically yes officially no

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

Lmao, it's almost 4am on February 22nd. Zhirik knew, he knew

The face of true leadership

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Koos Group posted:

Yeah Russian troops have been documented in Donbass multiple times since 2014.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gros Tarla posted:

Invading Ukraine does not count as invading Ukraine? Or do you also recognize their new status as independent states?

They were de facto separated in 2014 so I don't think putting troops there counts as a distinct new invasion even if it's an escalation. Pushing beyond the contact line would be a new invasion.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sinteres posted:

They were de facto separated in 2014 so I don't think putting troops there counts as a distinct new invasion even if it's an escalation. Pushing beyond the contact line would be a new invasion.

Don't you have work to do, Mr. President?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

Yeah the question is will they stick to the current lines or push to take the entire Donbass region.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It was daylight madness to let conscripts play with Buk launchers near a civil aviation flyway. It was madness to escalate the situation in Ukraine by massing an army on the borders and madness to jeopardize Nord Stream 2 and Russian standing in Europe and elsewhere in doing so, and madness to mass an invasion force in the middle of a global Pandemic if this is all a bluff, or even if it isn't. Presumptions of sanity are therefore not given. Why should they be?

When I pinched this from John le Carré I didn't expect to be proven right by Putin on live television.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah the question is will they stick to the current lines or push to take the entire Donbass region.

Yeah I think that's an open question too, I was just saying for the purpose of the toxxes I don't think forces arriving behind the contact line should count as an invasion because of the pre-existing status.

OddObserver posted:

Don't you have work to do, Mr. President?

This doesn't seem like the kind of post that elevates the discourse.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1495867914909626381?s=20&t=tWZgsCo-QfkLxpmYJvHxrA

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I did correctly remember that the toxx had its own invasion definition.

nurmie posted:

i propose the following conditions for my counter-:toxx: to HonorableTB:

• six months time span - so, no invasion before the 24th of June, 2022 24th of July, 2022
  • only official or quasi-official invasion counts - so, Crimea scenario counts as an invasion, supporting DNR/LNR with "advisors" and sending communist internationalists weirdo russian nazis to fight CIA-backed weirdo ukrainian nazis or whatever does NOT count as an invasion
  • only invasion by Russian forces counts - Poland deciding to grab Lwow for itself or Turkey trying to reistablish itself within the land borders of the Byzantine empire does not count for the purposes of this toxx

HonorableTB posted:

I think these are reasonable and accept

Edit: assuming toxxes are still a thing on the forums, I know for a while they weren't allowed but with Jeff owning the site maybe that has changed. Unless a mod says otherwise I will assume the toxx stands in effect

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Russian troops in Ukraine against the will of Ukraine is an invasion of Ukraine, no matter how much dancing you do.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

The Security Council recommended Putin recognize the pre-2014 borders and afaik that's the basis of the decree signed today, inc. his speech talking about the entire Donbass, not just the rights of the breakaway areas.

So I guess even at this stage

Conspiratiorist posted:

Fact is one of the world's largest militaries has concentrated >60% of its fighting power along the border of a country it invaded less than 10 years ago and somehow we still have no loving idea what it's going to do or how they're going to do it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Russian troops in Ukraine against the will of Ukraine is an invasion of Ukraine, no matter how much dancing you do.

I didn't say it wasn't, I said it's not a distinct new invasion separate from 2014. Please read the posts you're responding to.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The other one was this one but iirc mods didn't like this one.

KillHour posted:

I have no idea if Russia is going to invade but if they do I'm going to buy everyone who said they definitely won't a red title and if they don't I'm going to do the same to everyone who said they definitely will even though I honestly can't think of nearly as many of the latter :toxx:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I suspect this will become an entirely meaningless argument within the next 24 hours.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

GABA ghoul posted:

Of all the crazy things, this might be the hardest to believe. :psyduck:

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Xarn posted:

There is a worrying lack of posters telling us that Putin is rational in wanting buffer states and it is the evil NATO US that is escalating the tensions. Has anyone checked that the CIA didn't get to them?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I stand by my position, Russia isn't invading and the western media is full of hysterical lairs. Putin isn't a good guy, but hes not stupid, still waiting for the invasion.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

NATO could officialy admit that Lenin was a Nazi.

This is complete insanity.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

I suspect this will become an entirely meaningless argument within the next 24 hours.

Probably yeah, I don't think the borders of the "new republics" will remain static for long either.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rodiel posted:

I stand by my position, Russia isn't invading and the western media is full of hysterical lairs. Putin isn't a good guy, but hes not stupid, still waiting for the invasion.

This is complete insanity.

Do you know what an invasion looks like?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1495870954647560197

Invasions look like this

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1495869901172523022

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Do you know what an invasion looks like?

Yeah, my country does them all the time.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sinteres posted:

This doesn't seem like the kind of post that elevates the discourse.

Sorry, I suppose it's a bit unfair to express my frustration at Joe Biden's response as your expense. You're being pedantic about forum silliness, not screwing up foreign policy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rodiel posted:

Yeah, my country does them all the time.

Yeah, like faking a 'crisis' to move armed soldiers into an area to 'keep the peace'. Often under false pretenses.

So what's this and the speech Putin gave today?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I didn't say it wasn't, I said it's not a distinct new invasion separate from 2014. Please read the posts you're responding to.

Having troops unofficially to formally invading seems like a sufficient distinction

but yeah it probably wont matter in less than 24 hours

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Sorry, I suppose it's a bit unfair to express my frustration at Joe Biden's response as your expense. You're being pedantic about forum silliness, not screwing up foreign policy

Oh I thought you were calling me Putin and I was pretty confused why that post was generating that response.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

GABA ghoul posted:

This is almost more worrying than grandpa's recent speech. Zhiri is deranged. The fact that there is a clown in the Duma is in itself not particularly worrying, there are plenty of them in the parliaments of other states. But if Zhiri knew about the exact timetable so far back, it means that he's actually involved in decisionmaking. And that's a scary thought indeed.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/PussyRobbery/status/1495871738139267081?s=20&t=mqOQRHOV49uq7hGWh7gYoA

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
If the invasian isn't happening in the Invasia region, then it's just a sparkling police action.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

They had to give him COVID to shut him up, it all tracks perfectly.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Have these units been in Ukraine since 2014? If not then it's a new invasion. I neither know nor care what new semantic bullshit you're trying to invent to argue over whether it's "distinct".

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Have these units been in Ukraine since 2014? If not then it's a new invasion. I neither know nor care what new semantic bullshit you're trying to invent to argue over whether it's "distinct".

If you neither know nor care about semantic distinctions, you're in the wrong forum imo.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
"Is it REALLY an invasion if Russia leaves a rump state behind?" has been a common thread of bet-hedging on Ukraine since 2014, hasn't it?

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Despera posted:

Having troops unofficially to formally invading seems like a sufficient distinction

but yeah it probably wont matter in less than 24 hours

We need to come up with a new smaller version of the Friedman unit!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Please provide a translation into English or at least a synopsis. Without that, this is meaningless for the vast majority of posters.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the spirit of the toxx was troops crossing the current border/line-of-contact.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Killer robot posted:

"Is it REALLY an invasion if Russia leaves a rump state behind?" has been a common thread of bet-hedging on Ukraine since 2014, hasn't it?

It's an invasion if the contact line moves deeper into Ukraine, it's not an invasion if it doesn't. That's not really very complicated, or disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jarmak posted:

Russian troops have been in these regions of Ukraine since 2014. Why does it matter whether they were "these units"?