Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Killer robot posted:

"Is it REALLY an invasion if Russia leaves a rump state behind?" has been a common thread of bet-hedging on Ukraine since 2014, hasn't it?

Subtract a hundred years and yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Deteriorata posted:

Please provide a translation into English or at least a synopsis. Without that, this is meaningless for the vast majority of posters.

It's official confirmation of Putin ordering "peacekeeping action" in Ukraine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

Russian troops have been in these regions of Ukraine since 2014. Why does it matter whether they were "these units"?

There is a difference: Russia was denying they were Russian units. Now they are. So it is effectively ripping the bandaid off and calling it what it is.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Please provide a translation into English or at least a synopsis. Without that, this is meaningless for the vast majority of posters.

Majority of people actively posting here read Russian just fine. That said, since "translate tweet" button is on holiday, here's the short content of each document (identical copies for LNR and DNR):

1. recognize them as a sovereign nation
2. establish diplomatic relationships
3. establish a cooperation agreement
4. send in the army to support peace until (3) is done
5. effective now

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

It's official confirmation of Putin ordering "peacekeeping action" in Ukraine.

All signs point to a new realy real invasion

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Moving the goalposts was always the endgame here.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/UkrWarReport/status/1495873114814750730?t=haIK6t8Weq_HaTZhKJU7Rw&s=19

a little late prob

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1495870954647560197?s=20&t=x1JUZ0FqEq014mi40aOhzg

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1495872290256523264?s=20&t=x1JUZ0FqEq014mi40aOhzg

The game being that they're not part of Ukraine anymore according to Russia.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Majority of people actively posting here read Russian just fine. That said, since "translate tweet" button is on holiday, here's the short content of each document (identical copies for LNR and DNR):

5. effective now

Every single translation that gets touted here ends up being misleading at best. Why should i trust you?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I thought Zelensky was supposed to speak tonight, as of about an hour ago. I wonder if that's still happening.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rodiel posted:

Moving the goalposts was always the endgame here.

E: Oops nvm you weren't disagreeing with me I think

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rodiel posted:

Every single translation that gets touted here ends up being misleading at best. Why should i trust you?

You definitely shouldn't automatically trust me, I'm just someone online.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You definitely shouldn't automatically trust me, I'm just someone online.

Sensible and respectable.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Reuters confirming the order for the "peacekeeping operation" (read: invasion)

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1495871597059706887?s=21

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

5. effective now

huh, usually you host allied units after the cooperation agreement is established, not before

have lnr and dnr made a formal request for military aid, or would that have taken too much time?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

LegendaryFrog posted:

Reuters confirming the order for the "peacekeeping operation" (read: invasion)

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1495871597059706887?s=21

Can we just call this an invasion and not worry about the feelings of goal post movers?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

huh, usually you host allied units after the cooperation agreement is established, not before

have lnr and dnr made a formal request for military aid, or would that have taken too much time?

there is no lnr/dnr

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I did correctly remember that the toxx had its own invasion definition.

welp, this is certaintly A Development

idk whether to count russian military "establishing and maintaining peace in DLNR" as an invasion, and leave it to the mods to decide, but personally i'm leaning towards "yes" and i am happy to accept the loss of this toxx

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

They did that before being recognized, i.e. yesterday.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not surprised they are going for recognizing the lnr and dnr now. I dont think that was the plan but, never let a good crisis go to waste as they say.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

They have been asking for it for at least a week; if that’s a fig leaf someone wants to care about

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
If it was just peacekeeping, the evacuation of residents of LNR/DNR wouldn't be necessary, so that's part of the concern. Peacekeeping assumes you will keep the Peace. Moving the people you are trying to protect implies they expect to use force. Force recruiting teens and adults in these regions imply coming war.

This does not smell of a peacekeeping action.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Despera posted:

there is no lnr/dnr

I mean we can quibble about what they are (puppets/mafia turf in state form/actually kinda de facto thingies) but they are existent Things.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Despera posted:

there is no lnr/dnr

The idea exists whether you like it or not.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Russia's trying to pretend Ukraine is about to attack the separatist republics, and some people are even falling for it, but it's a completely ludicrous assertion. So yeah, I definitely think Russia intends to use them as the launching point for a new invasion with some bullshit pretext about responding to Ukrainian aggression (basically like Georgia except with Ukraine not tripping into it as stupidly as Saakashvili did), I just consider it continuing build up until it actually moves beyond the contact point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nurmie posted:

welp, this is certaintly A Development

idk whether to count russian military "establishing and maintaining peace in DLNR" as an invasion, and leave it to the mods to decide, but personally i'm leaning towards "yes" and i am happy to accept the loss of this toxx

I'm inclined to interpret it as not counting, unless mods or HonorableTB make a case for the opposite - your advisors is a relatively ambiguous term, which kind-of counts here. Besides, it may not take too long for something more substantial to happen, i.e. any breaches of the current frontline, or the state border elsewhere.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Russia's trying to pretend Ukraine is about to attack the separatist republics, and some people are even falling for it, but it's a completely ludicrous assertion. So yeah, I definitely think Russia intends to use them as the launching point for a new invasion with some bullshit pretext about responding to Ukrainian aggression (basically like Georgia except with Ukraine not tripping into it as stupidly as Saakashvili did), I just consider it continuing build up until it actually moves beyond the contact point.

They have been shelling them since the beginning. It never stopped since 14.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
As one of the toxxers, I feel like this constitutes an invasion, right? We have Putin's orders, his speech, and admittedly unconfirmed videos of Russian troops in the border.

I leave it to the mod to make the final call, but I feel like it's pretty solid. I'm also okay with waiting for official confirmation

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Now we see the robust sanctions by the West... (I looked, it's just sanctioning some few individuals lmao).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Depends entirely on what they want to do about it and why. These 3 cars we saw could simply be driving between garages.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

As one of the toxxers, I feel like this constitutes an invasion, right?

Its borderline. We're keeping watch. Nobody's toxx will get acted on unless we all agree its fulfilled.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Now we see the robust sanctions by the West... (I looked, it's just sanctioning some few individuals lmao).

The west doesnt give a gently caress and never did. The idea that my government cares is what gets me so heated

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rodiel posted:

They have been shelling them since the beginning. It never stopped since 14.

That's gone both ways of course, but the narrative being constructed is that Ukraine is preparing an actual invasion, which is pretty clearly not true with Russian forces primed to attack even before this. Ukraine's politicians may be overly stubborn in their no concessions approach to diplomacy with Russia imo, but I don't think they're suicidal enough to zerg rush positions that have been defended in some form or another by Russia for years at a point when Russia has an extreme concentration of force prepared to respond. It makes the pretextual nature of the concern pretty obvious imo.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Its borderline. We're keeping watch. Nobody's toxx will get acted on unless we all agree its fulfilled.

Fair enough, happy to wait

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sinteres posted:

That's gone both ways of course, but the narrative being constructed is that Ukraine is preparing an actual invasion, which is pretty clearly not true with Russian forces primed to attack even before this. Ukraine's politicians may be overly stubborn in their no concessions approach to diplomacy with Russia imo, but I don't think they're suicidal enough to zerg rush positions that have been defended in some form or another by Russia for years at a point when Russia has an extreme concentration of force prepared to respond. It makes the pretextual nature of the concern pretty obvious imo.

Rodiel is a bad-faith poster; do not engage.

I'll eat the probe for posting about posters.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They did that before being recognized, i.e. yesterday.

freeasinbeer posted:

They have been asking for it for at least a week; if that’s a fig leaf someone wants to care about

thanks the constant firehouse of breaking news, unconfirmed reports, and russian propaganda over the last couple of days has been difficult to keep straight

edit:

Rodiel posted:

The west doesnt give a gently caress and never did. The idea that my government cares is what gets me so heated

sorry is this a complaint that the western is not intervening enough, or not intervening the right way, or what? not trying to put words in your mouth, but having a hard time parsing if you want more or less sanctions

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 21, 2022

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Ukraine is a pawn. Focusing on Russia is dumb, maybe they thought that the west was a better master but it seams like their leadership at least is realizing they made a deal with the devil. The actual people that have to live and work there are hosed for a long long time.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Russian troops have been in these regions of Ukraine since 2014. Why does it matter whether they were "these units"?

Because ignoring direct replacements if you commit new military formations to an invasion it's a new, additional, invasion.

D-Day was a new invasion of Europe, despite the allies having already landed at Anzio. When we invaded the Arghandab River Valley in 2011 that was a new invasion despite being in a country we had invaded and occupied a decade prior.

When your troops enter a place that is ostensibly controlled by another party, uninvited, we call that an invasion. If you do it again it's still an invasion.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

CommieGIR posted:

If it was just peacekeeping, the evacuation of residents of LNR/DNR wouldn't be necessary, so that's part of the concern. Peacekeeping assumes you will keep the Peace. Moving the people you are trying to protect implies they expect to use force. Force recruiting teens and adults in these regions imply coming war.

This does not smell of a peacekeeping action.

Ukraine was already deterred from attacking Donbass with a force less than half this size in the past. If you could recognize and guarantee their independence with 50~60 BTGs, so why deploy >110?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Rodiel is a bad-faith poster; do not engage.

I'll eat the probe for posting about posters.

When have I posted in bad faith? I may get a bit squirrely sometimes but I post my real honest views