Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
If Soviet occupation hadnt been such a blast maybe we would have never needed NATO. Im generally on the pro democracy side though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Zelenskyi, in my opinion, was more of a vote for peace and internal normalisation, rather than of external balance or Slavic Switzerland.

As for the latter, we shall see. EU support is close to 70%, NATO support is steadily over 50%, and forced neutrality would mean, in practice, surrendering sovereignty/right to foreign and economic policy to our historian in chief who just had meltdown about Lenin inventing Ukrainian orcs for his Warhammer campaign.

obviously the situation is now past the point where such a solution is on the table. my point is just that NATO has been perfectly and predictably happy to see the situation escalate for their own reasons.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

snip

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There are also C-130s and an Osprey hanging around Rzeszów, which is the first bigger city in Poland from the Ukrainian border and close-ish to Lviv.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I very much wish the 'no way putin would be stupid enough to do that' folks were right

:smith:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm confident that NATO, russia and the zelenskij government could've worked out something that would've been broadly acceptable for those three parties, yes

I don't think so, not just because NATO can't really compromise on it's essential values but because NATO is only a small element of the tension - Putin's issue is with the concept of a Ukraine that exists as anything other than an extension of greater Russia and there's no middle ground there that's consistent with Ukraine as a sovereign nation (that wants EU integration).

e: Putin was also offered talks on conventional arms restrictions. That got rejected out of hand and the Russian position was that nothing was acceptable other than complete acceptance of it's starting position. There was no real negotiation happening here.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 22, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

HonorableTB posted:

All US State Department personnel in Ukraine evacuated to Poland

I'm gonna note here that in the outbreak of major hostilities Russia will lock down Ukrainian airspace, so this is their last chance to evacuate by air before that happens.

It's not a sign that they expect Russia to occupy Western Ukraine.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

well poo poo

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm confident that NATO, russia and the zelenskij government could've worked out something that would've been broadly acceptable for those three parties, yes

you should go back and read the recent list of russian demands and tell us what of those you think were remotely acceptable for anyone not-russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Aramis posted:

Yes, but....

Letting Putin unilaterally declare the regions as new countries is sort of par for the course, similar to letting China declare that Taiwan is part of them as long as they don't act on it. Allowing Russia to actively take steps to concretize that unilateral declaration is a whole other matter entirely, regardless of whether troops had previously been entering the region or not.

It might make sense in the short term for the sake of easing tensions, but there really should be some consequences to this eventually.

It’s frustrating to me personally, but I believe that Russia will escalate soon, and so I optimistically agree with posters saying that this is simply the formal, final off-ramp for Putin, and the last stop of “well, what are you going to do about me” train.

Besides, Europe could still sanction. Just wait until EU wakes up, half of member states are going to be incredibly displeased by this development.

I do expect them to stay coordinated with the US here though, to be clear.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

obviously the situation is now past the point where such a solution is on the table. my point is just that NATO has been perfectly and predictably happy to see the situation escalate for their own reasons.

Ukraine is not a NATO member and does not currently meet eligibility requirements to join, so I fail to see where they had any part in this.

The situation is naked imperialist aggression from Russia against a sovereign state.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

What arrangement would you imagine to have been satisfactory of Putin’s earlier ultimatum?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I very much wish the 'no way putin would be stupid enough to do that' folks were right

:smith:

Do what specifically haven't the little green men been in Donbas for over half a decade? They've said they dont plan to take the entire Oblast, I don't see how this is a massive departure from the status quo other than to formalize it. If you have a hostile foreign power occupying territory for 6 years its probably not your territory any more.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Alchenar posted:

I don't think so, not just because NATO can't really compromise on it's essential values but because NATO is only a small element of the tension - Putin's issue is with the concept of a Ukraine that exists as anything other than an extension of greater Russia and there's no middle ground there that's consistent with Ukraine as a sovereign nation (that wants EU integration).

this is taking some statements a little too literally, i think. we're still at least a couple of levels of escalation away from all-out existential invasion, which is the logical conclusion of this interpretation (afaik the forces in movement aren't considered sufficient for this anyway)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://twitter.com/noahbarkin/status/1495862050320486401
To what should be nobody's surprise, certain countries are drawing red lines as to what are acceptable potential sanctions.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

V. Illych L. posted:

What do you think NATO should have been doing?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

To what should be nobody's surprise, certain countries are drawing red lines as to what are acceptable potential sanctions.

"Now now now, we need to think about how this will impact gas....er, I mean, Ukranians"

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1495891341372542988?s=20&t=T5pziJlwRCW7hgkzgo3ALg

UN Security Council puts their phones on silent.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

Zelensky should just send WW2 reparations demands to Germany.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm gonna note here that in the outbreak of major hostilities Russia will lock down Ukrainian airspace, so this is their last chance to evacuate by air before that happens.

It's not a sign that they expect Russia to occupy Western Ukraine.

I agree that it's not necessarily a sign that the US expects an invasion of western Ukraine. However, I'm fairly confident that the US military could easily get away with blatantly disregarding a Russian-imposed no-fly over the whole of Ukraine for the sake of evacuating civilians, so it's still definitely a noteworthy development.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

V. Illych L. posted:

it's not, though, is the point, NATO pretty clearly makes the world a worse place. there can be a conflict without any good guys!

I kinda think you don't have the right to make this judgement unless you yourself live in a country with a belligerent neighbor like Russia.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

Yea maybe NATO could have asked the Ukrainians nicely to willingly become a colony in Tsar Putin’s new Empire.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I find myself thinking Biden should go through with sanctions here. As someone who cut his teeth politically in '02 and '03 against the war this is an uncomfortable thought to have.

So, we now have two new "countries". Obviously what happens to them depends a lot on the future. But do we think they will be annexed? Might, say, Belarus actually recognize the new People's Republics? How will non-US allies look at this? What does China think?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

As expected. The usual suspect of Germany, and Italy - which suddenly remembered that 90% of gas it imports comes from Russia. That said, let’s wait for Jupiter to log on, and 10 screaming EE member states ready to veto everything from Brioche bread to road repairs over this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

this is taking some statements a little too literally, i think. we're still at least a couple of levels of escalation away from all-out existential invasion, which is the logical conclusion of this interpretation (afaik the forces in movement aren't considered sufficient for this anyway)

So it is the logical conclusion (which I'm not convinced is the endgame), but it's really more that the starting point of all this in 2014 had absolutely nothing to do with NATO. NATO is there as an issue, sure, but it isn't even the prime cause of Russian interference in Ukraine.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

Also, shoutout to the (probably) P-3 that flew out of Sigonella Naval Air Station in Italy and is drawing penises because it knows so many people are checking the flight trackers

:yeah:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What arrangement would you imagine to have been satisfactory of Putin’s earlier ultimatum?

formal implementation of the russian interpretation of minsk 2, with modifications (some kind of international force rather than a russian one as guarantor would have to happen, for instance). alternatively, NATO could declare an end to expansion pending [conditions] and a return of the donbass areas to ukraine. some kind of formal penalty would have to be worked out in case of treaty violations from either party. ukraine gets a sweetheart gas contract. idk i'm not an international diplomat, but they resolved the cuban missile crisis where the actual fate of the world was at stake, there could've been more serious engagement in this situation than what was given.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Aramis posted:

I agree that it's not necessarily a sign that the US expects an invasion of western Ukraine. However, I'm fairly confident that the US military could easily get away with blatantly disregarding a Russian-imposed no-fly over the whole of Ukraine for the sake of evacuating civilians, so it's still definitely a noteworthy development.
They could, but echoing the smartest thing Biden's ever said in a decade "world war 3 is when Americans and Russians are shooting each other", the US is bending over backwards to avoid an escalation chain with Russia.

He already signaled they will make no attempts to evacuate American civilians. They're on their own.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Aramis posted:

That's the kind of thing that accidentally starts a US-Russia shooting war, so I'm betting wouldn't happen.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Rinkles posted:

I kinda think you don't have the right to make this judgement unless you yourself live in a country with a belligerent neighbor like Russia.

i literally live in a country with russia as a neighbour

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

idk i'm not an international diplomat

How would you handle negotiating with Putin after his speech today?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don’t want to speak for everyone, but I think thread consensus is that US should do what it said it will do - sanction Russian elites, energy sector, and other exposed areas.

Oh Good. I'm fine with all that. Back to just vibing during a pandemic.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I find myself thinking Biden should go through with sanctions here. As someone who cut his teeth politically in '02 and '03 against the war this is an uncomfortable thought to have.

So, we now have two new "countries". Obviously what happens to them depends a lot on the future. But do we think they will be annexed? Might, say, Belarus actually recognize the new People's Republics? How will non-US allies look at this? What does China think?

China will definitely not recognise them, that’s a threat to Taiwan policy. The usual suspects will - Belarus, Syria, Cuba, Venezuela, maybe North Korea or something. It’s not a particularly long list for any of the other 4 similar regions.

Similarly, I don’t think Russia will ever absorb them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

Dude, you and I are both Norwegian. In no way is our situation remotely comparable to Russia's Eastern European neighbors.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

They could, but echoing the smartest thing Biden's ever said in a decade "world war 3 is when Americans and Russians are shooting each other", the US is bending over backwards to avoid an escalation chain with Russia.

He already signaled they will make no attempts to evacuate American civilians. They're on their own.

Yes, I should have been clearer: The noteworthy thing here is just how much leeway the US is giving Russia by pre-emptively doing this, on account of the fact that they don't have to.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

V. Illych L. posted:

formal implementation of the russian interpretation of minsk 2, with modifications (some kind of international force rather than a russian one as guarantor would have to happen, for instance). alternatively, NATO could declare an end to expansion pending [conditions] and a return of the donbass areas to ukraine. some kind of formal penalty would have to be worked out in case of treaty violations from either party. ukraine gets a sweetheart gas contract. idk i'm not an international diplomat, but they resolved the cuban missile crisis where the actual fate of the world was at stake, there could've been more serious engagement in this situation than what was given.

Yeah, Russia would do none of that, even if given the moon. It would only validate their views that NATO and the EU are pushovers. Anybody openly claiming Russia is going to negotiate in good father after this afternoon's speech is selling something.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

try to steer the conversation to how prices used to be lower and which buildings where he grew up used to be other things while I wait for there to be more light and he gains coherence.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

V. Illych L. posted:

Then I don't know how the prospect of a NATO-less EE doesn't terrify you given what's happened to Ukraine.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea maybe NATO could have asked the Ukrainians nicely to willingly become a colony in Tsar Putin’s new Empire.

this doesn't seem to fit the standard of "broadly acceptable" to either NATO or the zelenskij government and so isn't a terribly charitable reading of the quoted post

Shes Not Impressed posted:

the speech isn't that material imo, the main problem is the massive escalation of russian soldiers openly violating ukrainian sovereignty. i honestly don't know how we get back from this, there are far too many moving pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Then I don't know how the prospect of NATO-less EE doesn't terrify you given what's happened to Ukraine.

Because Norway has Russia as a neighbor, but in no way is our experience with that neighbor anything like Ukraine's or other Eastern European countries'.