Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Bob Mundon posted:

Hadn't thought about pressure preventing camout and slipping, absolutely sold.

Are any of the off brands decent, or is it pretty much knipex or bust for that design?

I only found one off brand and they weren't actually cheaper, so it was a no brainer for me. I can generally recommend Knipex for it's quality, however the adjustment button on these wrenches is not their best work (Sometimes remains somewhat depressed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Bob Mundon posted:

Hadn't thought about pressure preventing camout and slipping, absolutely sold.

Are any of the off brands decent, or is it pretty much knipex or bust for that design?

I have a Wiha, and it seems fine, but the adjustment is annoying. You open it all the way , and slide it, so it’s it’s a little fiddly.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

LightRailTycoon posted:

I have a Wiha, and it seems fine, but the adjustment is annoying. You open it all the way , and slide it, so it’s it’s a little fiddly.

The Wiha is even more expensive it seems.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SEKCobra posted:

The Wiha is even more expensive it seems.

Buy the Knipex. I have 4 sizes of them and they get used all the loving time. They're amazing on chrome plumbing fittings too, they don't tear up the finish.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Am I the only one that almost always goes for the 5 inch one first?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I did an unmentionable thing today. I defied all logic and purchased an electric chainsaw from harbor freight for one purpose; remove the stump from my side yard. I wasn't about to use my nice gas saw to do such a thing. I needed a sacrificial tool. Renting a stump grinder was a hassle and getting it close enough to the stump would be tricky with the fence. It seemed small enough that hiring someone for just this stump seemed trivial.

I dug it down as much as I could. I purchased the nicer of the two offerings. One was $40ish and the other was $66 and their "Bauer" line.

It cut surprisingly well. I didn't expect that. I honestly didn't expect it to stay together. It didn't seem like it was oiling the bar enough. It was a weird feeling to defy everything I've ever learned about using a saw and plunging it into a dirty stump, occasionally sparking on rocks. I split it vertically and then was able to access the three main roots. I had to sharpen the blade three times but it got the job done. I took it apart and cleaned it really well afterwards and will probably give it to a buddy who has no tools, or continue to use it as a sacrificial saw. I'm not going to lie, I was impressed. It's amazing how they can make a decent chainsaw, ship it from China, sell it here for $66, and still make a profit. Next, I'll probably use it to chop that awful wooden ladder to bits.

I realize I don't have a photo of the stump.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

deimos posted:

Am I the only one that almost always goes for the 5 inch one first?
Your wife too

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Slugworth posted:

Your wife too

Nah, she doesn't know tools so she thinks the micrometer is a wrench, goes for that one every time.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Verman posted:

It's amazing how they can make a decent chainsaw, ship it from China, sell it here for $66, and still make a profit. Next, I'll probably use it to chop that awful wooden ladder to bits.

Capitalism isnt that amazing. Usually you can dig down and use a pulaski with just a couple hits to get most stumps or roots out if you're looking for another tool. I was reading online about that and a similar cheap saw. Seems like crummy oilers are pretty common on them so even if it cuts initially you burn your poo poo up all the time

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am getting back into restoring the old table saw that I bought. It will never do a 45 degree miter unless I completely disassemble this thing. I am not 100% confident I can get back together. I also need to put about $200 worth of parts into it.

- Safety Switch and plug $35
- Splitter/blade guard $50
- New belt $35
- 8” blade $45
- random stuff $35

It has me wonder if I should just save up for a new saw. I could go get the delta contractor saw with a nice fence for $700. Which leads me to another question how much of the price of a SawStop is the safety system? Is contractor saw a $1000 saw with a $1000 safe system?

My current comedy idea is trip out the intervals of the old saw and see if I can turn it into a router table.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Usually you can dig down and use a pulaski with just a couple hits to get most stumps or roots out if you're looking for another tool.

I thought about a pulaski but the biggest roots were 8" thick and directly under the biggest mass of the 12" stump. Plus the proximity to the fence made it tricky to swing.

I did cheat and use my 4 Runner to dislodge the stump once it was cut into two pieces.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Milwaukee is coming out with some full sized M18 wet dry vacs and they look awesome but oof those price tags.

https://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-cordless-wet-dry-vacuums-air-tip-accessories/

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

Milwaukee is coming out with some full sized M18 wet dry vacs and they look awesome but oof those price tags.

https://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-cordless-wet-dry-vacuums-air-tip-accessories/

Wow with no mention of Bluetooth integration either.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have an old makita angle grinder thats on its last legs, the standard 7.0amps rat tail grinder. i wanted to get another grinder but want to get one with a dust shroud. Makita makes a fine looking dust shroud but also makes some fancy high powered grinders, I see. Who on earth needs a 13amp grinder⁉️

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-9565C...00005Q7BG&psc=1

No but seriously i use a grinder as little as i can, mostly just for renovations, but i do get the odd masonry job now and then. I was just planning on getting the same basic grinder for $70 or whatever unless someone knows a reason to get a higher end model...?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Verman posted:

I did an unmentionable thing today. I defied all logic and purchased an electric chainsaw from harbor freight for one purpose; remove the stump from my side yard. I wasn't about to use my nice gas saw to do such a thing. I needed a sacrificial tool. Renting a stump grinder was a hassle and getting it close enough to the stump would be tricky with the fence. It seemed small enough that hiring someone for just this stump seemed trivial.

I dug it down as much as I could. I purchased the nicer of the two offerings. One was $40ish and the other was $66 and their "Bauer" line.

It cut surprisingly well. I didn't expect that. I honestly didn't expect it to stay together. It didn't seem like it was oiling the bar enough. It was a weird feeling to defy everything I've ever learned about using a saw and plunging it into a dirty stump, occasionally sparking on rocks. I split it vertically and then was able to access the three main roots. I had to sharpen the blade three times but it got the job done. I took it apart and cleaned it really well afterwards and will probably give it to a buddy who has no tools, or continue to use it as a sacrificial saw. I'm not going to lie, I was impressed. It's amazing how they can make a decent chainsaw, ship it from China, sell it here for $66, and still make a profit. Next, I'll probably use it to chop that awful wooden ladder to bits.

next you’ll get a nice battery chainsaw from a fancier brand

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Dewalt now sells a mower kit with two 12ah flexvolt batteries for $750. The push mower with two 10 ah 20v batteries for $400 is probably a better deal but I am intrigued.

Edit: the mower has bigger wheels in back and is RWD that is nice

Calidus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 24, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Calidus posted:

Dewalt now sells a mower kit with two 12ah flexvolt batteries for $750. The push mower with two 10 ah 20v batteries for $400 is probably a better deal but I am intrigued.

Edit: the mower has bigger wheels in back and is RWD that is nice

Last year I spent a lot of time reading up on electric mowers and I never was able to find anything really good or even middling about the DeWalt one, and I really looked hard for that because I use their batteries. The new one might be good of course but I wasn't able to find anything that was encouraging for what they already had on the market.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I hoping 3 generations is enough for them to have something competent. My toro died last year and I don’t want another battery system and I really don’t want go back to gas.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Calidus posted:

I hoping 3 generations is enough for them to have something competent. My toro died last year and I don’t want another battery system and I really don’t want go back to gas.

I really didn't want to get into another battery system either but I think I'm gonna go EGO because they have what appears to be a really good mower and a pretty good full size snow blower. That alone would be worth it for me to get into another system. I'm going to have a hard time parting with my Honda mower but I think it's time.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I will say, I have one of the Makita battery op mowers and it is just slick as gently caress.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
A few weeks ago I had asked in this thread about small-medium air compressors, today I was in a Canadian Tire and saw a Mastercraft 5 gal that looked about the size I was after, and it was heavily discounted at $199 CAD, so I picked it up. It's still in the box in my garage, was planning on setting it up this weekend, googled it to take a look at the manual, first hit after the Canadian Tire product page is the federal recall page, which says outright to "Immediately stop using the compressors and return them to the place of purchase", with the issue listed as "The regulator knob may break off under pressure and may lead to a component failure and cause injury to consumers. As of January 20, 2022, the company has received 21 reports of incidents in Canada with 1 injury."

Presumably I have a unit that isn't affected by the recall, a big box store wouldn't have it on the shelf otherwise (would it!?), but... maybe I should just return it anyways. Maybe this is what lots of other buyers are thinking/doing as well, and why it was so heavily discounted.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

epswing posted:

A few weeks ago I had asked in this thread about small-medium air compressors, today I was in a Canadian Tire and saw a Mastercraft 5 gal that looked about the size I was after, and it was heavily discounted at $199 CAD, so I picked it up. It's still in the box in my garage, was planning on setting it up this weekend, googled it to take a look at the manual, first hit after the Canadian Tire product page is the federal recall page, which says outright to "Immediately stop using the compressors and return them to the place of purchase", with the issue listed as "The regulator knob may break off under pressure and may lead to a component failure and cause injury to consumers. As of January 20, 2022, the company has received 21 reports of incidents in Canada with 1 injury."

Presumably I have a unit that isn't affected by the recall, a big box store wouldn't have it on the shelf otherwise (would it!?), but... maybe I should just return it anyways. Maybe this is what lots of other buyers are thinking/doing as well, and why it was so heavily discounted.

You can see if they give you a serial number run for defective units. Sometimes manufacturers can say which series of numbers the problem is in.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just to be double sure.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

One of the tool sites did a review of the new Milwaukee mower and they said it’s really good with suction power approaching and in some cases surpassing their gas-powered competitors. (I’ve found my Ego mower has much weaker suction than my old Toro gas mower)

https://www.protoolreviews.com/milwaukee-m18-fuel-self-propelled-lawn-mower/

Shame about that $1k price tag though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

FCKGW posted:

One of the tool sites did a review of the new Milwaukee mower and they said it’s really good with suction power approaching and in some cases surpassing their gas-powered competitors. (I’ve found my Ego mower has much weaker suction than my old Toro gas mower)

https://www.protoolreviews.com/milwaukee-m18-fuel-self-propelled-lawn-mower/

Shame about that $1k price tag though.

Which EGO do you have? I upgraded from the single bladed self propelled to the double blade Select Cut mower and the suction is much better. I needed better mulching of leaves in fall and the select cut got me there.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I have an old makita angle grinder thats on its last legs, the standard 7.0amps rat tail grinder. i wanted to get another grinder but want to get one with a dust shroud. Makita makes a fine looking dust shroud but also makes some fancy high powered grinders, I see. Who on earth needs a 13amp grinder⁉️

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-9565C...00005Q7BG&psc=1

No but seriously i use a grinder as little as i can, mostly just for renovations, but i do get the odd masonry job now and then. I was just planning on getting the same basic grinder for $70 or whatever unless someone knows a reason to get a higher end model...?

One of the few things on grinders I consider a must have is a paddle switch and variable speed, for my work I need both. If you dont care about those features just get whatever feels good in hand.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Does Wera sell Lasertip bits?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SEKCobra posted:

Does Wera sell Lasertip bits?

I wish, but I've never seen such a thing.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The harpoon bits have anti camout ribs — I don’t know how they compare to laser tips though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

Which EGO do you have? I upgraded from the single bladed self propelled to the double blade Select Cut mower and the suction is much better. I needed better mulching of leaves in fall and the select cut got me there.

I just have a single since I wasn't even thinking about suction before buying the mower. I installed a mulching blade which helps a little but if I still drive the mower over grass clippings on concrete is just pushes them around and won't suck them into the bag like my old Toro did.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

One of the few things on grinders I consider a must have is a paddle switch

That's a funny way of typing rat tail.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

One of the few things on grinders I consider a must have is a paddle switch and variable speed, for my work I need both. If you dont care about those features just get whatever feels good in hand.

I’m glad you bring that up, variable speed is useful for you? I was trying to imagine if it works be useful but was drawing a Blank

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I’m glad you bring that up, variable speed is useful for you? I was trying to imagine if it works be useful but was drawing a Blank

I use them a lot on wood and I'll drop or raise the rpm depending on the attachment and species. I dont think I'd be SOL if I didnt have it and all my hand me down grinders in the past didn't have it, but it's a feature I like now. Some bits really like certain speeds. You can "hear" when its feeling good

Still not as big of a feature as just holding the tool in your hands or corded vs battery. Some feel so weird to me

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 27, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Lol Ryobi is releasing a cordless track saw before Milwaukee. It has a riving knife is that normal for track saws?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Calidus posted:

Lol Ryobi is releasing a cordless track saw before Milwaukee. It has a riving knife is that normal for track saws?

oh drat that's probably gonna be a :10bux: for me

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Just learned riving knifes are common on track saws and you can even find them on circular saws in Europe,

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The Makita doesn't have a riving knife and has a scoring mode which makes it super nice for sheet goods.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

CommonShore posted:

oh drat that's probably gonna be a :10bux: for me

For :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: extra I can get the Makita, and while I have both batteries, I only have the 2Ah Ryobi batteries and I have 4Ah Makita batteries.

Track saw will probably wait until after bandsaw, jointer, and new miter saw, but good to know.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

more falafel please posted:

For :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: extra I can get the Makita, and while I have both batteries, I only have the 2Ah Ryobi batteries and I have 4Ah Makita batteries.

Track saw will probably wait until after bandsaw, jointer, and new miter saw, but good to know.

Yeah I've been thinking for a while about buying the makita too but from the pricing I've seen available in Canada (and from my googling of the Ryobi track saw) the Makita would cost me $800-$1000 to set up, and I've never seen it go on sale anywhere, whereas the Ryobi will probably be under $400, and i have several Ryobi batteries already so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Yeah I've been thinking for a while about buying the makita too but from the pricing I've seen available in Canada (and from my googling of the Ryobi track saw) the Makita would cost me $800-$1000 to set up, and I've never seen it go on sale anywhere, whereas the Ryobi will probably be under $400, and i have several Ryobi batteries already so.

Bare tool MSRP is $329, $399 for the kit with the 4 AH battery. I bet there will be a hackable deal before long, so it'll probably be possible to get the net price under $300 for the bare tool.