Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Oh god... yeah that too.

E: gently caress, worst place for a snipe. Don't have time now but I'll dig up a good pic or yt later.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

E2: found a little time -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb6tz6ohprw

Now tell me: if you were high, it was late at night, all the lights were off and you had the sound CRANKED (I was wearing decent earbuds myself), that wouldn't at make you tense up.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s weird how oddly scary someone’s eyes lighting up is. :gonk:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The_Doctor posted:

It’s weird how oddly scary someone’s eyes lighting up is. :gonk:

It's telling how nice Janosz is, normally, since even though he's possessed and controlled, more or less, by Vigo, he's still being shy and asking to come in.

At least at first.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh but I woo!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

quote != edit

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 20, 2022

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

gently caress

Everything you are doing is bad. I vant you to know this

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've always been a GB2 defender. I was born in 84 so by 89 when GB2 came out that was a BIG DEAL for me. It's always been just as important to my connection with Ghostbusters as the first film was.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I've always been a GB2 defender. I was born in 84 so by 89 when GB2 came out that was a BIG DEAL for me. It's always been just as important to my connection with Ghostbusters as the first film was.

I feel like I'm MORE obsessed with 2 than 1. It was my first movie in theatres, it was one of the earliest times, outside of Christmas, where I anticipated something for so long. You're a year younger than me, so I get you.

GB2 is more of a nostalgia trip to me than the first one. When I got that Complete Ghostbusters hardcover book a few years ago, I skimmed GB1 and pretty much skipped right to 2. I'll read the whole thing someday, for now it's one of those things I put off finishing because once it's done, it's done :shrug: I mean, I could read it all again, but never again for the first time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ghostbusters 2 really is shockingly dark when you think about how The Real Ghostbusters series was such an important bridge to it. Like, you had the original movie which was a big hit, but then the success of The Real Ghostbusters definitely drove the overall demand for eventually making a sequel.

I'm not sure my parents expected a movie about Vlad the Impaler and rivers of blood and heads on pikes etc. etc. when they took me to see it in 1989.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It's absolutely scarier. I recently re-watched it for the first time in at least 15 years, and when the painting's eyes first zapped poor Janozs I seriously jumped. Also the defunct subway scene with all the corpses or skeletons or whatever popping up was legitimately eerie and tense.

"WINSTOOOOON..."

At that point Dad wondered if he had made the right call in bringing me to the theater when I was like 10.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh but I woo!

Everything you are doing here is bad. I want you to know this.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Basebf555 posted:

Same, except the last time I watched it, in the lead-up to Afterlife, I realized it just doesn't do anything for me any more. The first film is still perfection. Part 2 felt like a chore.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

You know, every day I say "do you want to do something?" and you say "no, I cannot do something". Do I have the bad breath or something?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dawgstar posted:

"WINSTOOOOON..."

At that point Dad wondered if he had made the right call in bringing me to the theater when I was like 10.

A buddy of mine snuck into a theatre showing An American Werewolf In London when he was even younger than that and genuinely traumatised himself, he had nightmares for years afterwards :v:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

roffels posted:

Same, except the last time I watched it, in the lead-up to Afterlife, I realized it just doesn't do anything for me any more. The first film is still perfection. Part 2 felt like a chore.

I will say this Vigo is a better villain than Gozer and the mood slime in New York is an interesting concept that feels dropped.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mooseontheloose posted:

I will say this Vigo is a better villain than Gozer

OG Ghostbusters did this weird thing with its plot where the primary antagonist simply isn't present for the huge majority of the film. If you wanted to get really pedantic, the actual antagonist was Ivo Shandor and he didn't appear at all and only got mentioned in passing because he'd been dead for decades. Earlier versions of the script had him coming back but he got written out.

His eventual appearance in GB: Afterlife was a pretty good gag in light of that. :v:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's an interesting structure for Ghostbusters. For the first half of the film the tension revolves around the difficulties of starting and running a business. There are shadows of something larger going on, such as the Fridge moment, but it's not the main focus and it takes a narrative backseat until the mid-point where the Terror Dogs are born. That's when the film's tension transitions from "running a business" to "saving the world", and that's also why the film takes a fairly sudden but short-lived tonal shift where it becomes a horror film for the duration of the chair scene. It's a very sudden injection of menace to raise the stakes. Gozer is the villain, but as you say, for most of the film not an antagonist, at least not until the end. Gozer just represents an existential threat which the Ghostbusters have the tools to stop but are prevented from doing so by Walter Peck, who takes on the true antagonist role until the point where he is sent away. So, the film kind of awesomely has shifting forces of antagonism, from the Dean, to Walter Peck, to Gozer. Ghostbusters 2 by contrast has its villain show up early, and also has the Ghostbusters become tacitly aware of the threat fairly early too so the tension for most of the film is Ghostbusters vs. Vigo, unlike the first film where they don't really have a strong bead on what Gozer is or what it wants until the prison scene.

I do love the structure of the original Ghostbusters, the idea that there's this rumbling menace building quietly is one of the cooler things about it.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 21, 2022

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I absolutely love GB2, to the point where I'd say I like it as much as 1.

The bit that scared the hell out of me in the cinema was when Ray gets possessed and looked all weird. It totally freaked me out.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Dawgstar posted:

The weird-as-gently caress way that he says "How is the bay-ay-be?" when he's checking on Dana during the powercut is so ingrained in my head that even if I'm say, visiting a friend with a newborn, I will say it like that rather than normally.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Karloff posted:

It's an interesting structure for Ghostbusters. For the first half of the film the tension revolves around the difficulties of starting and running a business. There are shadows of something larger going on, such as the Fridge moment, but it's not the main focus and it takes a narrative backseat until the mid-point where the Terror Dogs are born. That's when the film's tension transitions from "running a business" to "saving the world", and that's also why the film takes a fairly sudden but short-lived tonal shift where it becomes a horror film for the duration of the chair scene. It's a very sudden injection of menace to raise the stakes. Gozer is the villain, but as you say, for most of the film not an antagonist, at least not until the end. Gozer just represents an existential threat which the Ghostbusters have the tools to stop but are prevented from doing so by Walter Peck, who takes on the true antagonist role until the point where he is sent away. So, the film kind of awesomely has shifting forces of antagonism, from the Dean, to Walter Peck, to Gozer. Ghostbusters 2 by contrast has its villain show up early, and also has the Ghostbusters become tacitly aware of the threat fairly early too so the tension for most of the film is Ghostbusters vs. Vigo, unlike the first film where they don't really have a strong bead on what Gozer is or what it wants until the prison scene.

I do love the structure of the original Ghostbusters, the idea that there's this rumbling menace building quietly is one of the cooler things about it.

That was one of my main issues with Afterlife, they turned Gozer into a somewhat standard ghost villain that the Ghostbusters can have a back and forth battle with. In the original film Gozer returning basically means game over, it's not something you really fight. The Ghostbusters only have their one, borderline suicidal, ace in the hole to play and even that uses Gozer's own portal against it. It seems pretty clear that there's no chance of actually holding Gozer in the usual proton stream or catching Gozer in a trap, Gozer is a literal god.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Agreed, I liked the film but they certainly made Gozer a bit less impactful, a bit too human in the way she had a back and forth with the characters. 84 Gozer is just delightfully weird and alien.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Basebf555 posted:

That was one of my main issues with Afterlife, they turned Gozer into a somewhat standard ghost villain that the Ghostbusters can have a back and forth battle with. In the original film Gozer returning basically means game over, it's not something you really fight. The Ghostbusters only have their one, borderline suicidal, ace in the hole to play and even that uses Gozer's own portal against it. It seems pretty clear that there's no chance of actually holding Gozer in the usual proton stream or catching Gozer in a trap, Gozer is a literal god.

It's like they forgot what crossing the streams even meant. I try not to be a nerd about canon, but considering they only had callbacks to one film's story, it shouldn't be hard to get right.

roffels fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 21, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kill everyone in an instant basically

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Karloff posted:

Agreed, I liked the film but they certainly made Gozer a bit less impactful, a bit too human in the way she had a back and forth with the characters. 84 Gozer is just delightfully weird and alien.

With this in mind, IIRC the woman who played Gozer in the original was primarily a model at that time and that was a wise casting choice for having to establish an otherworldly, this being is way beyond you and is going to end the world for real feel with so little screentime.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was completely taken a back at the one two punch of JK simmions and Olivia Wilde lol

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The one thing I would change out the movie is Dana's appearance. I wish she showed up at the end with the other 3. Proton pack and jumpsuit with her own name tag, to show that at some point she was a member of the team. Then Gozer is strong enough to fight off the 4 crossed proton streams this time. Then Phoebe comes up with a 5th and the rest of the movie plays out the same way. I read Weaver didn't want to be in the movie at first and that's why her scene came during the credits and was a little detached.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I could have done with some sort of quick explanation from Ray, or a note from Egon, stating that the proton packs have been upgraded or changed so that crossing the streams no longer presents any sort of danger to a person, assuming they're not being shot at directly. :shrug:

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

deoju posted:

The one thing I would change out the movie is Dana's appearance. I wish she showed up at the end with the other 3. Proton pack and jumpsuit with her own name tag, to show that at some point she was a member of the team. Then Gozer is strong enough to fight off the 4 crossed proton streams this time. Then Phoebe comes up with a 5th and the rest of the movie plays out the same way. I read Weaver didn't want to be in the movie at first and that's why her scene came during the credits and was a little detached.

But why though? Dana never showed interest in busting ghosts. She's a musician. Has love of art. She worked in fields she enjoyed. Ellen Ripley as a Ghostbuster? Hell yeah! Dana Barrett? Doesn't seem like something she'd have interest in. I'd rather Louis show up because at least that would be a call back

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I was completely taken a back at the one two punch of JK simmions and Olivia Wilde lol

Yea that too. They made a mistake by casting Olivia Wilde because even just that moment of "wait a second, is that Olivia Wilde?" took me out of the movie and ruined the mystique of Gozer.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

roffels posted:

But why though? Dana never showed interest in busting ghosts. She's a musician. Has love of art. She worked in fields she enjoyed. Ellen Ripley as a Ghostbuster? Hell yeah! Dana Barrett? Doesn't seem like something she'd have interest in. I'd rather Louis show up because at least that would be a call back

She's seen some poo poo. She ain't afraid of no ghost. :shrug:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

deoju posted:

She's seen some poo poo. She ain't afraid of no ghost. :shrug:

It would make about as much sense as Annie Potts showing up as a Ghostbuster at the end.

(Yes, I know they did this in the animated series.)

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I also wouldn't be surprised if she wanted nothing to do with ghosts. I know I wouldn't, I'd have to work my PTSD and intense fears of sitting in a chair out in therapy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

deoju posted:

If anyone would have done that it should've been Louis. :colbert:

But Moranis declined the invitation to do a cameo so that wouldn't have been possible anyway.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If anyone would have done that it should've been Louis. :colbert:

But Moranis declined the invitation to do a cameo so that wouldn't have been possible anyway.

Afterlife seemed to want to memoryhole GB2 anyway, apart from Ray's store, so he presumably would have shown up in Janine's part from the beginning since he was an accountant.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Disco Pope posted:

Afterlife seemed to want to memoryhole GB2 anyway, apart from Ray's store, so he presumably would have shown up in Janine's part from the beginning since he was an accountant.

It would have made more sense for him to be in that part.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

It would have made more sense for him to be in that part.

You could argue that one either way because Janine did have a specific affection for Egon more than the other Ghostbusters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Disco Pope posted:

There was a sneaky Ecto-1A license plate hidden in the garage/barn set but as far as I can tell you don't actually see it in the movie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a sneaky Ecto-1A license plate hidden in the garage/barn set but as far as I can tell you don't actually see it in the movie

Same with the digital sign display that was on the Ecto-1A. It's somewhere among Egon's crap.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I just saw Afterlife, and aside from the fact that it didn’t need to exist, the only gripe I had was about how it says Egon ended up where he was.

You’re telling me Egon found out the apocalypse was coming and RAY refused to believe him? Ray believed he saw a sponge migrating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The sponges migrated about a foot and a half.