Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I can't overstate how much dust ours collects. We noticed after we got it how much less dust would accumulate on non-floor surfaces and we already keep a hepa air filter running in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

As someone who has a mixture of laminate flooring, carpet, and runner rugs, with various pet toys/etc laying around, are roombas viable at all? And I see a pretty huge range of them, are the ones Costco has any good?

Getting the floors at least casually clean automatically would be a great timesaver for me, just not sure how well it’d work and $400 is a lot to throw down on a question mark.

For mixed flooring like that, you might consider the Roborock S7. It's got a vibrating mop for scrubbing hard flooring that lifts up out of the way when transitioning to carpet. But it $650, so quite a bit more than $400, though sold on Amazon so easy enough to return. It's also got an optional auto-empty dock, but it's expensive and not worth it with a mopping feature. You are already going to have to remove the mopping pad after a cleaning session to prevent mold, you can remove the dust bin at the same time.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Head Bee Guy posted:

My dad bought two robo vacs last year, a “dumb” eufy and a smart roomba. the eufy is a lot cheaper and frankly works better. Stronger suction action, plus you can control it from the remote which is a ton of fun (especially if you have kids). the smart vac has a habit of getting into the most annoying corners and crevices and I’ve had a very hard time teaching it to avoid my desk where I have a bunch of dangling wires that get caught in it. sometimes it seems like it’s programmed to try and nibble my toes like a puppy, which induces a blinding rage

The dumb vac can clean in a few different patterns, and it does a good job of getting ambient crumbs and hairs off your floors. But you’ll need to prep space before using it: flipping chairs onto counter tops, picking up large objects and discarded clothes off the floor, etc. And you’ll want to be home while doing it to rescue it from inevitably getting stuck or choking on a phone chord.

It beats sweeping the whole apartment every week, but it’s a convenience i wouldn’t pay more than $200 for.

Consider some of these for those dangling cables:
https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-Reusable-Fastening-Organizing/dp/B0006BB9MG/

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I love my robot vacs. I had a Eufy 11S Slim for maybe two years and it worked great for being dumb. It found it's home almost every time and I'm not sure how it did it hidden behind my couch but that little fella sure tried. I was annoyed with having to check it a few times while vacuuming to empty it so I treated myself to a Roomba i3+ this year and that one self empties. I can't tell how much that picks up since it doesn't have a tray you pull out to see it but it'll sometimes empty itself twice during a job. The Eufy I'd have to empty maybe twice as well. It was really expensive but I love the Roomba i3+. It has an app and gives me a mapped layout of the pattern it did on my house.

I never vacuum so if I didn't have these I'd just never get it done.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Made a pilgrimage for 505 Hatch Chiles and the fabled cinnamon loaves, my local church had neither.

Is this what a crisis of faith feels like

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just got the i4 from Costco and Holy poo poo it's true there was a lot of dust under my furniture that it has picked up.

I did a pass of the house to prep and I must be living a different life than a few of you. There aren't any chargers or loose wires on my floor typically. I use some velcro to secure wiring out of the way.

It can run all by itself while I'm gone. It will get stuck in a table leg so there is one hazard I have to protect.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I bought a dumb robot vac and while it “works” I really wish I would have bought one with room mapping. The drat thing gets stuck all the time and I have to move it with the app.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just realized I didn't name my new vac. My Eufy was named Dusty. :3:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My gf sent me to costco to buy stuff for her parents that are visiting and said she'd pay so I also bought LEGO Boba Fett's throne room and the big bundle of microfiber shop towels and have already been reimbursed for them.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
sometimes I really dislike how much the selection varies by store. Some stuff I get, like the one in town has kimchi and whole halal lamb and those are probably not huge sellers in the 99% white suburban store, but like, the bodum double-walled tumbler set? pre-peeled garlic? why would suburban families not be interested in those?

For a long time they didn’t carry the standby generators either, and if anything that would probably be a bigger seller in suburbia.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Neither of the Costco’s near me carry the stuffed olives.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Paul MaudDib posted:

For a long time they didn’t carry the standby generators either, and if anything that would probably be a bigger seller in suburbia.

My local store has a stationary generator for sale right now, $5,200! Not the most expensive thing I've seen but it is surprising when you come across it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Kaddish posted:

extremely hosed up if true

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

StormDrain posted:

My local store has a stationary generator for sale right now, $5,200! Not the most expensive thing I've seen but it is surprising when you come across it.

I'm pissed about that too, since that was originally $4200 on sale for $3800 when I joined, since I had just bought a house it was on my wish-list but I couldn't afford a big-ticket upgrade right out of the gate. Once covid hit they cranked it to $4500, now $5200. I know everything has gone up but that just seems extortionate.

Was vaguely waiting for the water softener unit to go on sale too, since the one in the house is pretty old, instead they went from $320 to $360.

At this point companies are just cranking prices because they can, profits are at record highs right now.

I'm looking at maybe grabbing an OLED real quick here even if it's not the best timing for me, because LG is cranking all the prices next year.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 22, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Inflation is the excuse.

StormDrain posted:

I've heard they have diamonds sometimes that are thousands of dollars.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kaddish posted:

whats the lego selection like

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

I bought a dumb robot vac and while it “works” I really wish I would have bought one with room mapping. The drat thing gets stuck all the time and I have to move it with the app.

same. I have a Shark one and it just bumbles around bumping into poo poo like an idiot and gets scared of sun beams. but it manages to pick up a lot of dust and pet hair off the floor

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

is the highest score I can find in my google photos but I've definitely seen five-figure things (the most guillotine-worthy was probably the $15,000 netjets gift card.)

e: A dumber, even more expensive Rolex:

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 22, 2022

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Those are some ugly rear end watches. You can make an entire Roomba army for that much

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

RoastBeef posted:

is the highest score I can find in my google photos but I've definitely seen five-figure things (the most guillotine-worthy was probably the $15,000 netjets gift card.)

e: A dumber, even more expensive Rolex:

How old are those pictures because those are some great prices. The Rolex market is out of control too.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thinking of buying a minifridge to go along with my garage upright fridge/freezer and chest freezer units. Eventually I may get a full upright freezer to complete the collection. But for now I only want to spend a couple hundred bucks, I assume Costco has got a minifridge around that price point? Just got a $322 email from church and it's burning a hole in my inbox.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

skipdogg posted:

How old are those pictures because those are some great prices. The Rolex market is out of control too.

About three years and you're right, the lowest grey-market price I can find for that yacht master is about to ten grand higher :stare: .

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

There's some weird, expensive stuff if you look around their app, too...

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Inflation is the excuse.

Speaking of, I’ve heard from jewelry/gem stone industry folks that Costco jewelry is maybe one thing to avoid. I guess the craftsmanship just isn’t very high, and you could probably get something much higher quality for cheaper if you shopped around.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
If you trust them, cool.

But that sounds like the most transparent argument of someone in an industry defined by crazy markup about a competitor.

The “quality” just isn’t there

Yeah right

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

After sampling the 4 Costcos in my area I am convinced that our original primary one that we drive extra time to get to has someone doubling the cheese on the cheese pizza as standard. The other 3 churches had less cheesy pizza and it made me sad.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

namlosh posted:

If you trust them, cool.

But that sounds like the most transparent argument of someone in an industry defined by crazy markup about a competitor.

The “quality” just isn’t there

Yeah right

Yeah, totally agreed. I asked for a bit more detail when they said it and they went into a bunch of detail that I can't really verify around the quality of the actual gem settings, and how they can range from rather crude to outright poorly done, risking the gem falling out. The crudeness is probably only noticeable to jewelry snobs, but risking a gem falling out would really suck.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I went to Costco this weekend but I forgot that they got rid of the combo pizza :cry:

The pepperoni is fine, but it's not the same

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

but risking a gem falling out would really suck.

But also if that happens you could bring it in and get a full refund due to that

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I went to Costco this weekend but I forgot that they got rid of the combo pizza :cry:

The pepperoni is fine, but it's not the same

I've called multiple times and ordered a combo only to have the very nice person on the other end call me a loving idiot, they haven't had combo for over 2 years.

The Kirkland cauliflower crust supreme frozen pizzas are loving amazing.

DoubleT2172 posted:

But also if that happens you could bring it in and get a full refund due to that

If you lose your diamond they aren't giving you a full refund. They specifically say "It is important to insure your jewelry."

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The Kirkland cauliflower crust supreme frozen pizzas are loving amazing.

Yes, they are probably the best frozen pizzas I've ever had.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Inflation is the excuse.

Yep. When you go to the jewelry cabinet you expect things to be expensive. When you go through the home improvement aisle you have a different expectation.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

StormDrain posted:

Yep. When you go to the jewelry cabinet you expect things to be expensive. When you go through the home improvement aisle you have a different expectation.

At least the DeBeers family would like you to have that expectation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Go to a local gem and jewelry show, the prices are way lower than established chains, there's more variety, and you can get custom pieces made.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
After trying just about every apple Costco offers the Honey Crisp are easily my favorite to eat fresh albeit slightly pricey at about 12$ for 8 big apples, 2nd place would be the Cosmic Crisp apples. Both just have the perfect blend of juicyness, crunchy texture, and flavor.

Also with a bunch of video games coming out I realized the 100$ in Playstation gift cards for 90$ is basically a discount if you buy games digitally., Forbidden West and Elden Ring coming out respectively..

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

Inspector 34 posted:

Thinking of buying a minifridge to go along with my garage upright fridge/freezer and chest freezer units. Eventually I may get a full upright freezer to complete the collection. But for now I only want to spend a couple hundred bucks, I assume Costco has got a minifridge around that price point? Just got a $322 email from church and it's burning a hole in my inbox.

I bought a 4.4cu ft mini fridge for basically $250 canadian funbucks after taxes and fees and such so there should definitely be something there for you. If you can, buy direct from the store. That way you can kinda see what kind of condition it's in by seeing if the packaging is all mangled and such. When I went to grab mine, only 2 of like 8 on the pallet didnt have huge gashes and dents on the packages. If you get it shipped it's most likely gonna be tossed around so i'd be weary about that.. ive worked in the courier business and big awkard heavy items like this dont get treated very well..

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks for the advice. I'm kinda kicking myself because just a few years ago my company was trying to give away a mini/mid size fridge (the thing was like 4ft tall) that had been converted into a combo snack/soda vending machine. The fridge part was perfectly functional and I could totally use it now, but at the time we just wanted to get rid of it so we paid something like $75 for it to be taken away. Wish I had that thing now.

We literally could not give it away, but today I listed my old and busted over-the-stove microwave for free on FB marketplace and I've got like 5 different people asking about it. What a world we live in.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

I just realized I didn't name my new vac. My Eufy was named Dusty. :3:

My mom named the smart Eufy G30 I bought them Geufy (goofy) and then two weeks later, while carrying him back to the charger (got stuck under a couch and drained) dropped him and shattered the top tempered glass surface. Still works but looks ugly as sin now

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Angry Asian posted:

I bought a 4.4cu ft mini fridge for basically $250 canadian funbucks after taxes and fees and such so there should definitely be something there for you. If you can, buy direct from the store. That way you can kinda see what kind of condition it's in by seeing if the packaging is all mangled and such. When I went to grab mine, only 2 of like 8 on the pallet didnt have huge gashes and dents on the packages. If you get it shipped it's most likely gonna be tossed around so i'd be weary about that.. ive worked in the courier business and big awkard heavy items like this dont get treated very well..

Which one did you get? How do you like it? We were looking at the Fridgemaster and the other one (I want to say Midea brand) and couldn’t decide. Now they don’t really have them anymore. Want to pull the trigger faster next time.

We currently have one of those tiny thermoelectric ones and it annoys me and only works ok. We’d like to store more in there than just insulin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Had a Neato (we have cats) in about 2011 and it died within about 3 years, but I liked it so much I got another, a botvac 80 or 85, in about 2014. We put in the hepa filter and pet brush (there's a setting you need to activate when you do that, it sucks harder if you put in the hepa filter). As I said, we got it in 2014 and it's experiencing problems now, we're going to send it into the repair shop, because: I bought the wirecutter top recommended Roomba (iRobot® Roomba® i3) and it's a loving piece of garbage. Thinks the bin is full all the time when it's never, ever been more than about 20% full (I have to empty it every time it complains), sucks up maybe 1/3rd of the poo poo that the Neato sucks up, brushes are just rubber with no bristles, hepa filter about 1/3rd of the size of the Neato one and the bin itself is smaller, not that it matters because it's effectively about 1/5th of the size due to it being 'full' when there's barely anything in it. On the plus sides it's a lot faster and less noisy (due to very, very low suction power) but it's a piece of junk so I'm going to get the neato repaired. Very disappointed with how bad Irobot/roombas are, after for years and years, thinking we had the second-best option with neato. No, it's a billion times better. We replace the neato battery about once a year and it just loving goes. It's been super reliable for a robot anything: lasting about 8 years with 1 repair so far and 1 needed.

Anyway, I'm going to Costco today.

redreader fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 23, 2022