Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Good arrangement and the train flips upside down now good stuff, but is it just me or do the attacks come out real slow?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they added a cheat sheet for blitzes

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Nice.

Also the video includes the flipped train.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mega64 posted:

Nice.

Also the video includes the flipped train.

It's even the preview thumbnail, at least for me.

I wonder if that was intentional. (If that's even possible on Twitter.)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It's at least the second video I've seen where they've made goddamn sure we know that Sabin can still suplex the train.:love:

They know where the true priorities should lie. Good.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I hate that they basically made the opera scene into HD2D. It just makes me want the remasters to have fully been like that.

Not me. I really detest how Octopath looks, it is super blurry for no reason and the 2d sprites look even worse with all the light effects barfed all over them. Ambiant occlusion and blur should be banned forever. Triangle strategy looks just as bad and I fear it will drag the game down.

It looks OK in the trailer's opera scene though, I guess used sparingly for effect it's not all bad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When those string instruments pop in? gently caress

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Incredibly good arrangement

Also, in case anyone else was wondering, that is a different animation for Flare than the one in the other Pixel Remasters.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

23 hours.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Harrow posted:

Incredibly good arrangement

Also, in case anyone else was wondering, that is a different animation for Flare than the one in the other Pixel Remasters.

Ah, I had at least been wondering. That was honestly one of the biggest disappointments I had for the Pixel Remasters. The spells looked really good, but that they kept using them for every release was unfortunate, if understandable.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Maybe the reason VI ended up taking longer is it was the only one early enough along in development for them to incorporate much feedback from the other releases.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the font disproves your thesis

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It looks like that Flare animation is inspired by the one from the original FF6 but with some changes, like there's an explosion at the end instead of having all the little orbs come flying back out at the screen. The screen shake is a nice addition, too.

Here's hoping we get the cool ice laser Blizzard spell :pray:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Good arrangement and the train flips upside down now good stuff, but is it just me or do the attacks come out real slow?

It kinda seems like that to me, too. Also, Sabin is supposed to use his casting pose while Rising Phoenix is casting. Here he just... kinda stands there. Seems awkward.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah that is kinda awkward. But with the train fixed if the spell effects are fundamentally what I remember (allowing some updating of course) I'm opening my wallet.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The FF7R post game grind continues, I unlocked the simulator fight against all the summons one after the other and Bahamut just wrecked me. On reflection I let the previous fights drag on too long and Aerith ran out of MP for healing / manawall. I initially went with Cloud / Barrett/ Aerith but I'm tempted to swap Barrett for Tifa and use her to fling out as much damage as possible during staggers just so that I stand half a chance of going the distance.

I've only played chapter one on hard mode, does getting enough SP to max everyone's weapons make enough of a difference that I should do that first?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
FF6PR is going to whip so much rear end

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
That guitar riff rules. Suplexing the train rules.

The next 24 hours are going be really loving long. Ugh.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is the expanded opera scene laying groundwork for FF6-2, where Celes becomes an idol on world tour?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I was trying to figure out the name of my favourite song from the soundtrack, but I can't even find it in compilations on YouTube. I hope I'm not going crazy and I mixed up a song from another game. Or just made it up entirely.
It was "Slam Shuffle" from Zozo.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Lmao they hosed up 6 pixel remaster

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Senator Drinksalot posted:

?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Schwartzcough posted:

There is a spell in Tactics Ogre that permanently converts one of your units into a sword. I think the sword basically has all of the stats the unit did, so it's like you're equipping an entire person on another person. Huge stat boost.

Yes, the implications are really hosed up.
Yeah, there are just these four random scrolls (two hidden on tiles, two from optional fights) and when a person uses them they turn into a sword forever that gives insane stats (1/2 the str/int and 1/5 of the agi that the person had when they used it)

so basically just mulch four idiots to create an unstoppable death squad :black101:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So Ogre Battle has been doing it long before Disgaea has done with its Magichange or whatever it is called.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, there are just these four random scrolls (two hidden on tiles, two from optional fights) and when a person uses them they turn into a sword forever that gives insane stats (1/2 the str/int and 1/5 of the agi that the person had when they used it)

so basically just mulch four idiots to create an unstoppable death squad :black101:

Are the tile ones missable because I don't really plan to play with a guide open or anything.

Anyway mostly I'm just having choice paralysis because I'm at the point where I can buy my own party members now and I want to make sure I get dudes that are good, I think I want an N/C female for Witch or something? I think I remember seeing that Witch is really good somewhere.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah, by not putting it on consoles.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Party Boat posted:

The FF7R post game grind continues, I unlocked the simulator fight against all the summons one after the other and Bahamut just wrecked me. On reflection I let the previous fights drag on too long and Aerith ran out of MP for healing / manawall. I initially went with Cloud / Barrett/ Aerith but I'm tempted to swap Barrett for Tifa and use her to fling out as much damage as possible during staggers just so that I stand half a chance of going the distance.

I've only played chapter one on hard mode, does getting enough SP to max everyone's weapons make enough of a difference that I should do that first?
You have to actually do chapters in hard mode to get more SP to max weapons, and no, I don’t think it matters that much to clear the main game in hard mode (VR missions aside) as I just finished it off without maxed weapon, and have just started Intermission DLC in hard mode now. Speaking of which, goddamn Chadley’s Fort Condor skillz are ridiculous!!

Overall, Hard Mode was a good time for the main game but not as hard as I was expecting. Those last couple VR missions though, hoo boy, that might take some time

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
All I want is to play these on my switch.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think the only ones of these pixel remasters worth buying are 3 and maybe 2

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I think hard mode in FF7R is just about the right difficulty for me. It also made really clear how superfluous items are. You don't need any of them. Having them only makes certain spells kind of pointless. Removing the ability to restore MP at any time makes MP matter. You end up using every skill a person has. It's better all around, if you aren't just playing for the story.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

roomtone posted:

I think hard mode in FF7R is just about the right difficulty for me. It also made really clear how superfluous items are. You don't need any of them. Having them only makes certain spells kind of pointless. Removing the ability to restore MP at any time makes MP matter. You end up using every skill a person has. It's better all around, if you aren't just playing for the story.

I would like there to be a hard mode for FF7R-2 that you can start from the beginning rather than it depending on a ng+ build

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Disappointing Pie posted:

All I want is to play these on my switch.

Clearly they want you to buy and play them on PC, then they release them all in switch so that we can end up buying the PR games twice

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

simply buy a steamdeck which will outperform the switch when emulating switch games anyway

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Boy of Joy posted:

You have to actually do chapters in hard mode to get more SP to max weapons, and no, I don’t think it matters that much to clear the main game in hard mode (VR missions aside) as I just finished it off without maxed weapon, and have just started Intermission DLC in hard mode now. Speaking of which, goddamn Chadley’s Fort Condor skillz are ridiculous!!

Overall, Hard Mode was a good time for the main game but not as hard as I was expecting. Those last couple VR missions though, hoo boy, that might take some time

Ah sorry, I phrased that really badly. I meant should I go through the main game in hard mode to get the SP before having a go at the final VR missions. Sounds like it might be an idea if I'm not able to beat them as I am now.

Speaking of, I had another quick go just now. Tifa murders things so quickly when everything lines up and I managed to get a decent way through the Bahamut fight this time. Unfortunately juggling Ifrit at the same time was a bit much (even with fire absorption on Cloud's armour) and Bahamut did the final Mega Flare countdown when I was low on health and had no ATB ready. I feel like I'm getting better at it, although I really missed Barrett right at the end of the Leviathan fight where it keeps flying out of reach.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im bad at ff7r i cant kill the dlc endboss

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Twelve by Pies posted:

Are the tile ones missable because I don't really plan to play with a guide open or anything.
Not missable, you can find them items in training mode (or whatever it's called, where you skirmish with yourself.) I went to gamefaqs to check.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Tried the 2012 pc port of VII. Oh man, it blows. This is like the only game in the series that requires mods to function. While the XIII trilogy requires alcohol to function.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm just gonna come out and say it, not a big fan of the redone battle theme. It sounds a bit too overproduced, has too many instruments going at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

jokes posted:

Clearly they want you to buy and play them on PC, then they release them all in switch so that we can end up buying the PR games twice

And I will do this, because I’m a sucker