Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Stairmaster posted:

it was cool because you got to see goku and vegeta fight a guy together

that would be great if it wasn't a movie that had like ten cuts of decent animation and then the rest looked like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
hi im gorkeh

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Geggheka vs Gooblah

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Here's what the joke for fat Gotenks will be in the new movie, they'll try and fuse when the new androids go into their most dangerous phase and gently caress up because they are out of practice. In the half hour that follows Gohan has to handle the situation personally and gets a big fat moment of glory and defeats the bad guys and then Goten and Trunks successfully fuse just in time for the fight to be over. Cue groaning about how Goten and Trunks will never be allowed to be useful ever again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair, they were never useful in the first place

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair, they were never useful in the first place

They helped Buu kick Gohan's rear end.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I honestly wondered if Gotenks cockiness was more of Trunks side

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Goten has zero personality so Gotenks is just Trunks pretty much

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Black August posted:

I was gonna say that the only reason Cell’s Namekian regen worked so well was because it was combined with Frieza’s insane resilience to being put down

It really is one of those fusion-style multiplicative effects. Frieza just refuses to die, but he won't, like, immediately heal up from grievous injuries. Meanwhile, Piccolo can absolutely be killed if you, say, shoot a giant hole through his torso, but he's growing back limbs and other body parts all day long, good as new, as long as they aren't an outright mortal blow.

Together...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shyrka posted:

Cell without Piccolo genes would've been way more dangerous because he'd have actually dodged poo poo instead of tanking it to show off his regeneration.

Yeah but if he couldn't regen Goku would have ended him with the IT Kamehameha

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Vegeta would have already done him in with the final flash.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

khwarezm posted:

Here's what the joke for fat Gotenks will be in the new movie, they'll try and fuse when the new androids go into their most dangerous phase and gently caress up because they are out of practice. In the half hour that follows Gohan has to handle the situation personally and gets a big fat moment of glory and defeats the bad guys and then Goten and Trunks successfully fuse just in time for the fight to be over. Cue groaning about how Goten and Trunks will never be allowed to be useful ever again.

Fat Gotenks vs Dr. Hedo to highlight how depowered a botched fusion is.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hatty posted:

Goten has zero personality so Gotenks is just Trunks pretty much

goten is like a little guy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

khwarezm posted:

That still sounds more useful than I expect them to be.

Aoi posted:

It really is one of those fusion-style multiplicative effects. Frieza just refuses to die, but he won't, like, immediately heal up from grievous injuries. Meanwhile, Piccolo can absolutely be killed if you, say, shoot a giant hole through his torso, but he's growing back limbs and other body parts all day long, good as new, as long as they aren't an outright mortal blow.

Together...

Honestly, it's kinda BS that regenerating didn't cost Cell any ki.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Honestly, it's kinda BS that regenerating didn't cost Cell any ki.

It did. It's just that it didn't matter until Gohan was called in to fight... then Goku gave Cell a Senzu bean.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It didn't when he blew himself up. It made him stronger even!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shindragon posted:

I honestly wondered if Gotenks cockiness was more of Trunks side

It's more that Trunks is bratty but on the smarter and more cunning side, and Goten is naive but more hyperactive. Anyone who remembers or has seen how the dynamics between kids can work and how they can hold each other back or alternately egg each other on into bad ideas will probably have an understanding what makes Gotenks tick. Especially given the whole deal how Gotenks trains by himself in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with only occasional updates from Piccolo; he didn't get outside influences at a pretty formative time, so most of his techniques are whatever he could come up with on his own with his brand new power and thought was cool.

Like, Goten and Trunks are at a very specific age, just young enough to still be kiddy kids but old enough to know just enough to get themselves into real trouble.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The Dragonball wiki has a lot of info on the timeline stuff. In case you want to clarify things
According to them Bulma made a mistake with the time machine so using it even without changing anything still causes time to change.

So basically a mechanic did it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Bushmaori posted:

Vegeta would have already done him in with the final flash.

I don't think he would have let Vegeta do the final flash to him if he didn't have super regeneration. Goku's IT Kamehameha was at least a surprise attack.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Kanos posted:

I don't think he would have let Vegeta do the final flash to him if he didn't have super regeneration. Goku's IT Kamehameha was at least a surprise attack.

If he had Vegeta in him I reckon he'd be dumb enough to believe he could take it

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Aoi posted:

Together...

Cell actually did blow a hole right through Piccolo and threw him in the ocean, and he was a bit waterlogged but a sensu bean fixed him right up

Namekian physiology (or at least Piccolo's) is resilient as gently caress

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I don't think Piccolo's ever regenerated from anything other than a lost arm.

On the other hand, I think he's probably lost his arm more times than the entire rest of the cast combined by this point.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Vizuyos posted:

I don't think Piccolo's ever regenerated from anything other than a lost arm.

On the other hand, I think he's probably lost his arm more times than the entire rest of the cast combined by this point.

It might be filler but in the Buu saga when Dabura turns him into stone Trunks accidentally shatters his statue and straight up thinks he killed him. Then Piccolo shows up and says something about about how he's able to regen so long as his head isn't damaged.

Its heavily implied that Trunks sees a pile of gore from the broken pieces as well.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

khwarezm posted:

It might be filler but in the Buu saga when Dabura turns him into stone Trunks accidentally shatters his statue and straight up thinks he killed him. Then Piccolo shows up and says something about about how he's able to regen so long as his head isn't damaged.

Its heavily implied that Trunks sees a pile of gore from the broken pieces as well.

It’s not filler, I remember that part and I’ve only read the manga.

Namekian regeneration is one of those things that seemed to inexplicably get a lot more powerful as the series went on so like many things in Dragon Ball it’s probably better not to think about it too hard.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Good point. Kamiccolo should have used the Clothes Beam to make a new Namek for the Namekians somewhere more handy. After all if someone with a power level of 400 can make clothes, someone with a power level in the low-mid nine figures can make a planet

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shyrka posted:

Cell without Piccolo genes would've been way more dangerous because he'd have actually dodged poo poo instead of tanking it to show off his regeneration.

Cell without Piccolo would have died to Android 16

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Not even implied, you see one of his limbs, Trunks freaks out, and the Piccolo is like 'lol jk fine'

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I don't think Namekian regeneration got broken over time, I think Piccolo/Cell are just so goddamn powerful that it works in overdrive compared to your run of the mill Namekian farmer

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

It didn't when he blew himself up. It made him stronger even!!

Cause that brought him to the very edge of death then the Saiyan cells activated to give him a boost bigger then any Saiyan can get, cause they can’t regenerate from a small core part.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
the downside i think was piccolo needed quite a bit of time to regenerate his limbs. I still found it funny after the raditz battle is yeah no my arm is fine

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

He literally tore off his damaged arm and regenerated on the spot the first time he showed it off.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Black August posted:

I don't think Namekian regeneration got broken over time, I think Piccolo/Cell are just so goddamn powerful that it works in overdrive compared to your run of the mill Namekian farmer

The main thing the regeneration seems to take is stamina/toughness, since it always seems to be excruciatingly painful and exhausting to do it. So theoretically any random Namekian dude could regenerate from just a head but unless they were really loving jacked they'd pass out/die from the pain/exhaustion before being able to do so.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I thought it was Piccolo's regeneration with Frieza's innate toughness that let Cell regenerate like he does. Frieza survived for some time as literally a head, arm, and torso, and seemed to even be "alive" after being cut into small cubes by Trunks. Piccolo might be tough enough now, but he's not immune to pain. Earlier on in DBZ the shock and exertion might be enough to kill him, but by the end he's probably toughened up a bit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Piccolo needed time to regen versus Cell but that was just an excuse so Cell could explain what was going on because he’s literally the only one who knew what was happening

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i wish goku black had gone ssj in the anime like he did in the manga

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Super Saiyan looks goddamn incredible when paired with grays/blacks

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yes, I also liked Goku's Yardrat outfit.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

sudden easy What-If that comes to mind - someone gets the Dragon Balls, and following the logic of the Dragon Radar, they simply wish to "Always know exactly where the Dragon Balls are".

Which becomes a lot more significant if suddenly the wisher realizes they can sense another set on some planet far away, and for some reason they're sensing absolutely gigantic ones impossibly far away.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shindragon posted:

the downside i think was piccolo needed quite a bit of time to regenerate his limbs. I still found it funny after the raditz battle is yeah no my arm is fine

He did not need any time, he could have done it whenever, it's just if he regenerated during the battle with Raditz the drain on his Ki would have prevented him from firing the Special Beam Cannon.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Piccolo needed time to regen versus Cell but that was just an excuse so Cell could explain what was going on because he’s literally the only one who knew what was happening

He was just not doing it versus Cell in order to get Cell to monologue. Once he was finished he did it on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Black August posted:

sudden easy What-If that comes to mind - someone gets the Dragon Balls, and following the logic of the Dragon Radar, they simply wish to "Always know exactly where the Dragon Balls are".

Which becomes a lot more significant if suddenly the wisher realizes they can sense another set on some planet far away, and for some reason they're sensing absolutely gigantic ones impossibly far away.

You would think potential easy access to the dragonballs would cause a lot more problems, like just randos wishing for super powers or other bad stupid poo poo