Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We’ll see some Dickford county judge cite a 1784 US law to kick Hungary out of NATO.
All according to Putin's plan, letting him drive his tanks all the way to Geneva unopposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

coelomate posted:

I think this is what to watch. Everyone's nervous about the troops and tanks, but it'll absolutely start with massive airstrikes, right?

It does seem odd that we haven't heard anything about movements by the Long Range Aviation units (ie, heavy bombers). At least not that I've seen. But maybe either those units have better opsec (lol) or they aren't stupid enough to move poo poo around that looks like a potential nuclear threat.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What is it with your obsession about Polish armies marching into Ukraine?

1920 wasn't THAT long ago!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tai posted:

Thought I'd go on wiki and see how badly Ukraine are going to get rolled (thinking they haven't got much of an army for some reason). They've errr....got a lot of stuff to play with.

Ukraine has the second biggest army in Europe after Russia. They are not a small country we just think they are because we never got taught about them in school

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Guys I'm really worried, what do you think the odds are that the Pope takes this opportunity to reestablish the Papal States?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Betty Wight posted:

Once videos start coming out of Ukrainian citizens being murdered by Russia’s decrepit war machine, popular opinion in the west will shift from sanctions to intervention. It’s too bad we need to see death to be reminded it takes force to stop fascism. 26% of Americans right now say we should be involved. That will be 60%+ if you see leveled cities, dismembered bodies, and crying children.

I just can't imagine a scenario involving American military intervention. If everything goes this way, and popular support is overwhelming, I still can't fathom what it looks like given the stakes.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Air power and artillery will be less effective if the Ukrainians have been using the last 8 years to dig in.

Not ineffective, but I would not expect what we saw in the first Gulf war or anything like that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe, Ukraine DOES have anti-air capabilities, they largely haven't used it to avoid giving the Russians casus belli. If Russia starts entering Ukraine airspace and conducting hostilities, they will likely go hot.

Granted, most of them are out of date.

If the Russians commit to a general air campaign they can knock out the primary Ukrainian AD network in only a couple hours, for little operational effort. Ukraine is grossly outmatched by the quality and number of Russian land/naval artillery and airframes.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

coelomate posted:

I just can't imagine a scenario involving American military intervention. If everything goes this way, and popular support is overwhelming, I still can't fathom what it looks like given the stakes.

I am fairly sure that guy is trolling, but either way you are not going to get any popular support for direct military intervention against Russia.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

coelomate posted:

If Putin goes full supervillain and invades the Baltics, then the US would be at war with Russia (it would be pretty much automatic). What would it look like in the few days/hours before a nuclear exchange is left for whatever Skaven historian deems important to record.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/hubwel/status/1496562160587218948?s=20&t=ZNDK8m2wmf48SnNab5e8JQ

Strange flight from Kiev to Moldova apparently got returned from over the border. I don’t think it’s anything to do with Transnistria, they could just go around.

Seems like SkyUp had some problems in the last few weeks, but they got diverted from Ukraine to Moldova, not the other way around like today.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 23, 2022

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Betty Wight posted:

Once videos start coming out of Ukrainian citizens being murdered by Russia’s decrepit war machine, popular opinion in the west will shift from sanctions to intervention. It’s too bad we need to see death to be reminded it takes force to stop fascism. 26% of Americans right now say we should be involved. That will be 60%+ if you see leveled cities, dismembered bodies, and crying children.

Putin has complete responsibility for this situation. It’s really unfortunate that the west really has to always be the adults at the table.

Yeah, I don't think you are getting any bites here. Make a new account and retry with a different strategy? Maybe try something with a humanitarian angle? Like, the US needs to create safe zones inside Ukraine to evacuate civilians to? Godspeed

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Lum_ posted:

If Putin goes full supervillain and invades the Baltics, then the US would be at war with Russia (it would be pretty much automatic). What would it look like in the few days/hours before a nuclear exchange is left for whatever Skaven historian deems important to record.

I dont think a Russia-America conflict automatically results in global annihilation, unless one side's chief commander is literally suicidal and also gets his underlings to follow suicidal orders to actually launch all the nukes.

Is it a possibility? Yes, not one I'd want to tempt even if the probability were under 1%. But there are a lot of stages and offramps between initiation of conventional conflict, and global thermonuclear war.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

OctaMurk posted:

I dont think a Russia-America conflict automatically results in global annihilation, unless one side's chief commander is literally suicidal and also gets his underlings to follow suicidal orders to actually launch all the nukes.

Is it a possibility? Yes, not one I'd want to tempt even if the probability were under 1%. But there are a lot of stages and offramps between initiation of conventional conflict, and global thermonuclear war.

In the context of this thread however, there is no US/NATO engagement likely to happen, so its a non-issue, and I suspect Putin doesn't really want it anyways since he can largely have Ukraine without worrying about it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It does seem odd that we haven't heard anything about movements by the Long Range Aviation units (ie, heavy bombers). At least not that I've seen. But maybe either those units have better opsec (lol) or they aren't stupid enough to move poo poo around that looks like a potential nuclear threat.

The only public information I’ve seen, with no assessment of the veracity of it, that ~50 medium bombers have been positioned towards Ukrainian front.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ukraine lost really hard at debaltseve and ilovaisk while Russia was holding back a lot of their best stuff - air and missile forces. This is going to go even worse and more one-sided than Armenia vs Azeris, and the Russians are gonna parade unopened crates of stingers in snarky tweets within a week.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

In the context of this thread however, there is no US/NATO engagement likely to happen, so its a non-issue, and I suspect Putin doesn't really want it anyways since he can largely have Ukraine without worrying about it.

Yeah, I do legitimately think there will be a major increase in popular support for intervention, especially in a long drawn-out slog where there's videos of war crimes every day. But that's not to say there's any more real chance we actually intervene, just that it will become more of a political problem that has to be managed.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

coelomate posted:

Unilateral American intervention? Probably not. Some coalition, of smaller states, perhaps? Definitely a shitload more of material aid.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

Unilateral American intervention? Probably not. Some coalition, of smaller states, perhaps? Definitely a shitload more of material aid.

What's the plan for bringing it to the front once Russia starts attacking though? Obviously you can't fly it in anymore, and convoys are easy targets.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Sinteres posted:

What's the plan for bringing it to the front once Russia starts attacking though? Obviously you can't fly it in anymore, and convoys are easy targets.

With horses idiot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

marxismftw posted:

With horses idiot.

I mean, thats how the Germans did it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sinteres posted:

"Dang, that little house in the middle of nowhere is getting a poo poo ton of Amazon stuff delivered to it."

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i can’t believe jeremy corbyn did this

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

Get our best cocaine smugglers to run guns through the Odessa blockade. This isn't even clancy-esque anymore.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

It's just concern trolling over the dumbest poo poo

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Sinteres posted:

if ukrainian logistics are so broken and destroyed that they cannot supply any of their troops anymore, the war is over so it doesnt matter

peej
Apr 10, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The only public information I’ve seen, with no assessment of the veracity of it, that ~50 medium bombers have been positioned towards Ukrainian front.

How much would they need to reposition? Not an expert here by any means but the heavy bombers (if they were to be used) have enough range to not need to be moved. Even more so if they are launching cruise missiles.

The fighters and fighter-bombers would need to be closer but they already have air bases at Sevastopol and Voronezh within range. And probably others too.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Ukraine warning about a possible false flag sabotage operation at Titan chemical plant located in northern Crimea.

https://twitter.com/DI_Ukraine/status/1496582931787231234

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Man if Russia actually goes through with this it's going to trigger one hell of a military build-up in ex-Soviet/Warsaw Pact states terrified Putin will pull the same poo poo on them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

"Dang, that little house in the middle of nowhere is getting a poo poo ton of Amazon stuff delivered to it."

The future of Amazon delivery: Multiple Launch Consumer Rocket Delivery Systems.

With Cluster Purchases.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Man if Russia actually goes through with this it's going to trigger one hell of a military build-up in ex-Soviet/Warsaw Pact states terrified Putin will pull the same poo poo on them.

Yeah that's the rather ironic part: This is just going to encourage any country not in NATO yet to either arm up or push for NATO membership. In fact it already increased NATO's approval ratings in Ukraine.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

The future of Amazon delivery: Multiple Launch Consumer Rocket Delivery Systems.

With Cluster Purchases.

Yeah that's the rather ironic part: This is just going to encourage any country not in NATO yet to either arm up or push for NATO membership. In fact it already increased NATO's approval ratings in Ukraine.

MANPADS

Man-Portable Amazon Delivery System
Now featuring top-down firing mode!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

if ukrainian logistics are so broken and destroyed that they cannot supply any of their troops anymore, the war is over so it doesnt matter

There's a difference between being able to disrupt all of Ukraine's logistical network vs just attacking any planes coming in carrying weaponry from other countries or attacking convoys at the borders that are picking up those sorts of supplies. I feel like the latter is a lot easier to do.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I've been hearing Finns getting nervous, since Finland was one of Lenin's mistakes that Putin had implied. The whole Fennoscandian peninsula may eventually just become part NATO.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ukraine has the second biggest army in Europe after Russia. They are not a small country we just think they are because we never got taught about them in school

Ukraine's west and eastern borders are about the same distance apart as London & Prague.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

With Cluster Purchases.

However it establishes that NATO submembership isn't worth the paper it's written on, and that NATO will not welcome liabilities either.

This doesn't bolster NATO, it weakens it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

However it establishes that NATO submembership isn't worth the paper it's written on, and that NATO will not welcome liabilities either.

This doesn't bolster NATO, it weakens it.

Well again, Ukraine is not a NATO member, so there's that. You gotta be a card-carrying NATO member to get the benefits.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Well again, Ukraine is not a NATO member, so there's that. You gotta be a card-carrying NATO member to get the benefits.

Correct.

Again, NATO submembership ain't worth poo poo.

And NATO will not make you a full member if they think you're a liability.

So should you even try playing nice with NATO? It seriously harms their clout.

Furthermore, NATO bolstering its military spending isn't a threat because as we've established over and over NATO is just a defensive alliance, right? :v:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Could we give them a Cub Scout status? A coupon to apply later?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gatts posted:

Could we give them a Cub Scout status? A coupon to apply later?

if they sell enough popcorn, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Correct.

Again, NATO submembership ain't worth poo poo.

And NATO will not make you a full member if they think you're a liability.

So should you even try playing nice with NATO? It seriously harms their clout.

Furthermore, NATO bolstering its military spending isn't a threat because as we've established over and over NATO is just a defensive alliance, right? :v:

What important countries that bring value to the alliance were prospective members anyway though? Like you could say Ukraine, except they were seen as a bigger liability than an asset due to the looming Russian sword of Damocles, which is why they were never allowed to join. NATO already locked up way more than anyone would have guessed in 1990 (and far more than what Western leaders assured the Soviet leadership they would when the Warsaw Pact collapsed), so unless you're opening it up to new continents, there wasn't much left to do anyway.