Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Tomberforce posted:

Sitting here in Australia feeling sick to the loving stomach about what is about to happen. I can't imagine how people in the region are feeling. It feels like such a 20th century anachronism that is so bleak and senseless.

Same here mate, I'm starting to get real worried for the people in Ukraine right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I don’t believe in any gods as I am a card carrying Marxist, but right this second assuming what is about to happen actually does, I hope there are gods and they go with the Ukrainian people and armed service.

Every loving human death is a tragedy, but I hope the Ukrainians make the Russians pay for every inch.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 24, 2022

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

God, the sound of the clinking glass when the grads were hitting in that video. This makes me so sad.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

dr_rat posted:

For those who don't know and can't be bothered looking it up, 4am Ukraine time is around 2 hours from now.

IIRC the occupied territories don't use Ukrainian time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ZombieLenin posted:

I don’t believe in any gods as I am a card carrying Marxist, but right this second assuming what is about to happen actually does, I hope there are gods and they are go with the Ukrainian people and armed service.

Every loving human death is a tragedy, but I hope the Ukrainians make the Russians pay for every inch.

same comrade, same.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i wonder if this is how some folks felt before ww1 started, watching the july crisis start and speed up.
I’m sure some people in the 30s probably felt the same way.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’m sure some people in the 30s probably felt the same way.

that too. hell, alot of 1939/40 was just waiting until the blitzkrieg into france.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoney_War

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I know this is a small thing and maybe fruitless but if you are an American call your rep or senator and see if they will create TPS status for Ukrainians who are fleeing this horrific war.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that too. hell, alot of 1939/40 was just waiting until the blitzkrieg into france.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoney_War

And its always fun to tell people that the French actually invaded Germany briefly during this time as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saar_Offensive

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know this is a small thing and maybe fruitless but if you are an American call your rep or senator and see if they will create TPS status for Ukrainians who are fleeing this horrific war.

I'd hope that's already in the pipeline but I'll give a jingle to

Cruz and Cornyn :negative:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/dnvolz/status/1496616093808570373
Why would Russia hit adjacent countries with selective cyberattacks during an invasion? (I've heard this also happens occasionally in peacetime?)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

https://twitter.com/dnvolz/status/1496616093808570373
Why would Russia hit adjacent countries with selective cyberattacks during an invasion? (I've heard this also happens occasionally in peacetime?)

Distraction. Also this is just normal, just trying to keep responders occupied.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

status or no, my door is open

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Peanut Butler posted:

status or no, my door is open

two of my Polish friends have told our extended social network and the Polish gov that their couches / spare beds are available for refugees

I'm sad but I also respect them

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
Sitting at work here in Australia today I can't stop refreshing this thread every few minutes. Every since Maidan I've felt a strong affinity for Ukrainians trying to determine their own future but the last few days have felt like a body blow to me and it is going to be a million times worse for the people over there.

Wishing all the best to Ukraine. It's not much but all I can do at this moment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1496645647386263553

can't wait for this to be the main talking point of the chuds now. there are already a ton of them who are going to defend whatever horrors happen because "gently caress biden" and "russia is the true christian not woke nation" or "we should invade canada"

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I feel sick. This is all like a horrible nightmare.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'd hope that's already in the pipeline but I'll give a jingle to

Cruz and Cornyn :negative:

Cruz might be open to it because he has a cold warrior mindset and Ukrainians are European.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There's a US drone flying around at the moment.
https://www.flightradar24.com/FORTE12/2aea8ac9

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
This feels like 9/11, if it had been announced beforehand on state television. I've had the same certainty of history changing for the worse when the towers fell.

Back then, the Americans lost their minds in nationalistic fervor, and they still haven't stopped. This time around, Putin gave a speech showing the entire world he's done the same.

The only uncertainties are if the Russian people will follow him down that path, or if it's even going to matter when they don't.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1496645647386263553

can't wait for this to be the main talking point of the chuds now. there are already a ton of them who are going to defend whatever horrors happen because "gently caress biden" and "russia is the true christian not woke nation" or "we should invade canada"

I wonder if this is what the 1930s felt like.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

I noticed that - am surprised that info is publicly available? I guess the Americans want to make it known they are watching?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Because I thought you're saying that?

I think there is a big policy space between 'totally ignoring Russian concerns over 30 years since the end of Cold War' and 'prop up the USSR so it can maintain the occupation of Central/Eastern European satellite states'. That you choose to deliberately try and force any viewpoint takes even the most minor consideration of Russian interests into suggestions total support for Russian hegemony over the Near Abroad is more telling of you than anything else. If you want to make the argument that the latter proposition is the only one that Russia/Putin would have ever accepted is fine, but it's on you to make the argument. Putin's evolving stance from 2000 to 2021 seems to indicate to me that some understanding could have been reached without sacrificing the total sovereignty of EE states as you would imply

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jarmak posted:

i mean the interesting thing is this "might" be the thing that fractures the GOP since the Neocons/"moderates"/older senate/house ghouls have loving lusted for a day they can openly poo poo on and attack russia on tv and scream about how they were right all along and now you have the chuds/trumpists/etc either openly saying putin is cool and didnt do anything wrong to poo poo like that to poo poo like "biden is weak because he didnt nuke canada or whatever". it probably wont obviously but it will make for some fun hell tv. I mean tucker and trump are already basicaly saying this poo poo. others will follow.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Kangxi posted:

I feel sick. This is all like a horrible nightmare.

Right there with you. It's insane.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Tomberforce posted:

I noticed that - am surprised that info is publicly available? I guess the Americans want to make it known they are watching?

American drones have been flying all over Ukraine non-stop for at least the past week. It's a friendly airspace and they're only doing surveillance.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Tomberforce posted:

edit: see above

In regards to the US right-wing stooges sucking off Putin, they are literally traitors, and I'm not even American.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

two of my Polish friends have told our extended social network and the Polish gov that their couches / spare beds are available for refugees

I'm sad but I also respect them

yeah I'm way over here in north america in a no-account flatland town so I felt somewhat ludicrous posting that, but-
gently caress, I just don't know what else to do, my net worth is a goose egg and my liquid assets rn are a couple of ten dollar bills and a popeyes gift card with five bux on it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikeC posted:

I think there is a big policy space between 'totally ignoring Russian concerns over 30 years since the end of Cold War' and 'prop up the USSR so it can maintain the occupation of Central/Eastern European satellite states'. That you choose to deliberately try and force any viewpoint takes even the most minor consideration of Russian interests into suggestions total support for Russian hegemony over the Near Abroad is more telling of you than anything else. If you want to make the argument that the latter proposition is the only one that Russia/Putin would have ever accepted is fine, but it's on you to make the argument. Putin's evolving stance from 2000 to 2021 seems to indicate to me that some understanding could have been reached without sacrificing the total sovereignty of EE states as you would imply

I have no idea why you think there was more to my question than to simply understand the point that you were making.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Jarmak posted:

There were a ton of Hitler apologists in the US, just not any that had a possibility of getting in the White House though.

peej
Apr 10, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

That one is replacing another that's returning to base:

https://fr24.com/FORTE11/2ae98408

And the HC Motor handball team is returning to Zaporozhia after losing to Kielce today.

https://fr24.com/MSI6532/2aeb6964

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The route it took is interesting. I wonder why it did a loop over the east before it headed to the border of the disputed region.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Jarmak posted:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
uh there is a deep midnight traffic jam from Belgorod to the border with Ukraine, 20km north of Kharkov

seems bad

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

quarantinethepast posted:

There were a ton of Hitler apologists in the US, just not any that had a possibility of getting in the White House though.

Yeah that's kind of what I mean. I wonder if there was a time it felt like those people might take over.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Samopsa posted:

uh there is a deep midnight traffic jam from Belgorod to the border with Ukraine, 20km north of Kharkov

seems bad

I’ve been watching this and the jams have been getting longer over the last 2 hours.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Space Jam posted:

I’ve been watching this and the jams have been getting longer over the last 2 hours.

Passport control at a single border checkpoint can only work so fast.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Jarmak posted:

Yeah that's kind of what I mean. I wonder if there was a time it felt like those people might take over.

Well there was that (alleged to be fair) coup attempt against Roosevelt by American corporations, and Sinclair Lewis's It can't happen here.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Samopsa posted:

seems bad

This is very much contributing to the very eerie feeling of watching a war slowly kick off in a nation with widespread Internet connectivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

quarantinethepast posted:

Well there was that (alleged to be fair) coup attempt against Roosevelt by American corporations, and Sinclair Lewis's It can't happen here.

the main difference is that they had only one father coughlin where now there's a different coughlin for each major marketing sector