Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vasylkiv airbase has been targeted in missile strike

I honestly don't have words for this. Russia has ended the long peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peej
Apr 10, 2009
Another missile attack in Kharkiv stream around 15 minutes ago; looks like the same site as the first one 45 minutes ago.

Russian Ambassador to the UN concludes the emergency SC meeting saying they aren't at war with the Ukrainian people, they are at war with the junta that's in power.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Vasylkiv airbase has been targeted in missile strike

I honestly don't have words for this. Russia has ended the long peace.

Seems improbably risky when you can just drive on the city from Belarus.
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1496689463761817600?s=21

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

an excellent line

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1496697081339207684

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There's going to be an absolute deluge of misinfo, deliberate disinfo, wildly unfounded rumors, and every other manner of lovely info and garbage reporting come out in the coming hours. Going to be many hours before anyone has a clear picture of what all is going on.

If you see any particularly significant claim: at the absolute minimum look at who is making the claim, is it being directly reported, and are they even in a position to have the information that they claim to have.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

"There is no purgatory for war criminals; they go straight to hell, ambassador." --final statement of Ukrainian UN Representative

e: beaten but- seeing him say it, you can see he is drawing on his entire experience as a diplomat to keep his emotions in check

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Poland is probably feeling a bit apprehensive. If he pushes past Ukraine it gets very ugly very quickly.

I assume you mean Kiev, and you are correct because you don’t just have Poland, you have an 850 mile border with NATO member states on the West and Southwest Ukraine.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

KillHour posted:

It's almost like (…) veto (is) a dumb idea. Who could have thought.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Marco Rubio is live tweeting this, probably the most accurate and breaking info on an overall strategic level: https://twitter.com/marcorubio

Yes. I know more than half of that sentence was absurd.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

coelomate posted:

Marco Rubio is live tweeting this, probably the most accurate and breaking info on an overall strategic level: https://twitter.com/marcorubio

I hate that he's our best source of information right now but he's literally live tweeting a pentagon briefing right now so whatever.

Charliegrs posted:

Honestly why would anyone believe what Rubio is saying? Just because he's in the Senate doesn't mean he's not just talking out his rear end to try to make Biden look good.

He would never say anything to make Biden look good why would you think that

Edit: You changed it but my point still stands - he's NOT making Biden look bad because he's validating everything Biden has been saying for two weeks. He's saying this because that's what he's being told by the military. He probably doesn't even know where half those cities are.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 24, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

coelomate posted:

Honestly why would anyone believe what Rubio is saying? Just because he's in the Senate doesn't mean he's not just talking out his rear end to try to make Biden look bad.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would not think that Marco Rubio ever has the end goal of making Joe Biden look good.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

I would not think that Marco Rubio ever has the end goal of making Joe Biden look good.

Not only that, but US intelligence that was being publicized seems to have been authentic. And Putin didn't really bother changing any of it (as long term military plans aren't easy to adjust anyway).

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So realistically, how long can we expect this war to last?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Charliegrs posted:

Honestly why would anyone believe what Rubio is saying? Just because he's in the Senate doesn't mean he's not just talking out his rear end to try to make Biden look bad.

Could be but he's also on the Senate Intel Committee and fairly hawkish so I could see it working from his pov twofold.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Willo567 posted:

Anywhere from a week to literal years, theres really no way to know right now

Ukraine could totally fold, or it becomes a bleeding insurgency supplied and trained by NATO. Or somewhere in between.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Willo567 posted:

Depends which phase you're talking about. There could be the 'shock and awe' we're seeing now, which could take a couple of days, to moving into occupation which could take weeks, to a months or years long insurgency by Ukraine.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Willo567 posted:

Caspian Report's video was pretty informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNIU6TRsRzk

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

this could be over in a few days. The Ukranian army is defeated by the vastly superior Russian army, Russia installs a puppet government that recognizes the independence of the breakaway regions, and that's it. That's probably the best realistic outcome at this point

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hey commiegr can you turn the thread off of slow mode or lower it? I mean the discussion is going slow as gently caress because of it. If we ramp up to 100 posts in 5 minutes I get it

""
Warplanes hovering in the skies of Kramatorsk
""

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Is Zelensky still in Kyiv?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Not necessarily.

• Air strikes and short-range ballistic missiles take out a few key AA emplacements.
  • Helicopters transport Spetsnaz units to the airport.

The goal of an operation like that isn't to hold the airport forever, but serves a few purposes:

• Prevent Ukrainian leaders from escaping.
  • Prevent Western aid from landing. (Perhaps unnecessarily - it looks like various aircraft were exiting Ukraine's airspace very quickly.)
  • Deny an airfield to the Ukrainian air force.
  • Force Ukraine's military to react to a force behind their lines. This takes soldiers, time, and--especially important early in an attack--decision cycles.

A relatively small group of motivated soldiers could hold an airport for a few days - more than long enough for mechanized forces to reach the airport.

Where's the footage? Flying in any of these forces is no small feat. It would be dozens of planes/ helicopters.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/1496692645200113664?s=20&t=wyy6342v37LNi6uNakk7WA

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

BoldFace posted:

All reports I've seen say yes, against the advice of his cabinet.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

BoldFace posted:

It's unlikely that this is public information.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:(

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/JerryDunleavy/status/1496697868207415300?t=FOgu4sOqd06SiGjOmE5z-w&s=19

Sums up the end of the Security Counsel meeting which Russia was chairing.

Seeing everyone just get up with their little folders and walk away after Russia banged the gavel was one of the more surreal things I've ever watched.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
CNN is live in Odessa.

This is starting to remind me of Georgia in 2008. Same long pattern of them being lead on and allowed to think NATO would back them up or allow them to join, but then all ties were cut the second the brinksmanship resulted in actual fighting.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1496679105907109894?s=20&t=XB7dkFva0cy_BjRPfKnvKQ

Jesus. Never felt so much dread from a single tweet.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm awfully curious what the response to events is from those who've so consistently raised the snarky "loool they've been saying the invasion would happen soon for weeks, this is just warmongering bullshit intended to prop up the Western MIC" line.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm awfully curious what the response to events is from those who've so consistently raised the snarky "loool they've been saying the invasion would happen soon for weeks, this is just warmongering bullshit intended to prop up the Western MIC" line.

I didn't feel confident enough to loudly espouse this position or positions like it, but this was the line I tended towards over the past few months.

I was wrong.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ghetto Prince posted:

CNN is live in Odessa.

This is starting to remind me of Georgia in 2008. Same long pattern of them being lead on and allowed to think NATO would back them up or allow them to join, but then all ties were cut the second the brinksmanship resulted in actual fighting.

No one has ever told Ukraine that they would be allowed to join, at least not in the immediate future. Ukraine has wanted to join for years, but have not met the requirements for membership for a variety of reasons and everyone knows it.

That they might join at some point has been understood, but it wouldn't be for a long while.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

from earlier today. incredibly vomit-worthy

https://twitter.com/hemantrajora_/status/1496702479639416833

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I'm watching CNN (yeah, I know they're dogshit but they generally have the best international coverage) and they pointed out that Putin was wearing the same suit, tie, and watch today announcing this military action commencement of war as his unhinged speech on Monday so probably another pre-recorded sign that this was preordained and always going to happen

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

I was wrong.

I also think this is kind of a scummy time for you to be settling your forums grudges.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sticksy posted:

I'm watching CNN (yeah, I know they're dogshit but they generally have the best international coverage) and they pointed out that Putin was wearing the same suit, tie, and watch today announcing this military action commencement of war as his unhinged speech on Monday so probably another pre-recorded sign that this was preordained and always going to happen

That's the kind of thing that would be blatantly obvious to a sophisticated propagandist like Russia, so I can only imagine it was intentional.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i had decided it was more likely than not that they were simply bluffing for diplomatic reasons, but that pretty clearly stopped being the case once they undermined their position by recognizing the separatists. i knew it might be optimistic, but here we are. it sucks.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Majorian posted:

Ukraine v Russia: kind of a scummy time for you to be settling your forums grudges

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Ghetto Prince posted:

CNN is live in Odessa.

I remember my European mother said that she cried when the then USSR moved against the Hungarian Revolution, in 56, and put them down hard. Before the Soviets moved in, the US had encouraged the revolution on the official VOA and she said the Hungarians fully believed that the official encouragement meant we with with them and would assist. We didn't assist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

Cugel the Clever posted:

Now they are saying "all side bad" and how NATO and the U.S. forced Putin to do this. But looking at this Russian operation it's very obvious they had a war plan from the beginning and now they are just following it throughly. All the talks and NS2 etc. didn't really matter because the decision was probably made months in advance.