Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ghetto Prince posted:

It's hard to call NATO defensive when it's been expanding constantly , and the NATO intervention in Libya wasn't that long ago either.

You don't know a goddamn thing about what you're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melancholia
Jul 5, 2021

Terebus posted:

Congrats on Tulsi Gabbard level posting. It's incredible how hard some people will dig to blame the US for Putin's insanity.

Russia and Russia alone is responsible for what’s happening in Ukraine.

Please gently caress don’t think I feel otherwise. I’m stating what has so very obviously happened, but at the end of the day there’s only one responsible actor. I’m no apologist. For god’s sake I’d almost rather be an apologist for Russia than some Gabbard stan. Please don’t.

We should’ve done everything possible to guarantee the accession of Ukraine into NATO in 2008. Yushchenko’s government collapsed concurrent the illegal Russian invasion of Ukraine, but they were explicitly in opposition to Putin’s regime. The EU and NATO were already discussing the accession of Ukraine, we immediately watched the country be pulled apart by Putin fucks like PM Tymoshenko at the time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol at NATO's aggressive expansion east. People beg their governments to join NATO out of very real fears of Russia marching in again. If a purely defensive alliance is expanding perhaps there's a common thing the countries willingly joining are worried about?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Ukr. Navy operations base gone

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1496739458669891584

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Ghetto Prince posted:

It's hard to call NATO defensive when it's been expanding constantly , and the NATO intervention in Libya wasn't that long ago either.

Ahh yes, states, that were terrorized by the USSR, joining in a defensive pact against the zombie USSR are an expansive and aggressive force. It only makes sense that Russia invaded them because they were so threatening. Hopefully Russia will be able to "liberate" the populace of these historically Soviet blocs.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Blaming NATO for Putin’s behavior is funny, considering his actions are a perfect illustration why every democracy in Europe should desperately want to be a member.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently, Moscow is being visited by the Pakistani Prime Minister rn
https://twitter.com/Journo_AB/status/1496720185247547396?s=20&t=xqbkMFFaP1U_Nt5glaSX0Q

This is pretty peculiar considering India's support for Russia in the UNSC meeting Monday.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Wafflepoet posted:

Please gently caress don’t think I feel otherwise. I’m stating what has so very obviously happened, but at the end of the day there’s only one responsible actor. I’m no apologist. For god’s sake I’d almost rather be an apologist for Russia than some Gabbard stan. Please don’t.

We should’ve done everything possible to guarantee the accession of Ukraine into NATO in 2008. Yushchenko’s government collapsed concurrent the illegal Russian invasion of Ukraine, but they were explicitly in opposition to Putin’s regime. The EU and NATO were already discussing the accession of Ukraine, we immediately watched the country be pulled apart by Putin fucks like PM Tymoshenko at the time.

You literally just said this you shitstain:

Wafflepoet posted:

Again, gently caress Putin, but do deny the reality that NATO has some responsibility for this situation is simply delusional. This is so much worse for Ukraine. It was impossible for them to join NATO once Russia hosed them in 2014, but NATO continued to be openly involved nonetheless.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
So is there anything stopping Putin from attacking US cyber assets in the US like when they "accidentally" took out the colonial pipeline?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ghetto Prince posted:

It's been expanding by... having countries ask to be a part of it, and being allowed in. It isn't expanding in the way, say, Russia is expanding, just to pick a random example.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i was really holding out hope that things would at least remain limited. christ, what a pointless waste of lives

Wafflepoet posted:

It’s a damned shame the Israelis vetoed the sale of the Iron Dome system to Ukraine.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-torpedoed-sale-of-iron-dome-to-ukraine-fearing-russian-reaction-report/

if the iron dome was struggling to neutralize the number of rockets the palestinians could manage to smuggle through tunnels into the rubble of gaza, it wouldn't have done poo poo against a concerted artillery and missile attack by one of the largest militaries in the world

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

dominoeffect posted:

Does anyone know what AA capabilities Ukraine has aside from the Stingers it was supplied with?
Polish Grom missiles (MANPAD), the Javelin can be used in direct fire mode against helicopters too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wafflepoet posted:

Saying a magic phrase before the cavalcade of apologist bullshit straight from Lavrovs mouth won't make people overlook the substance of your posts

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Hooking up with Pakistan is odd for Russia since it has a de facto alliance with India and it could use a major power by its side

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1496740935522451457?s=20&t=VhNMCleMdHbMPYT-pMItWg

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Thank you, quoting for later

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Christopher Miller (Buzzfeed News) is an account to watch
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1496738748175982594

This is the first I've heard of naval action
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1496739927568048128

From Ukraine's foreign minister
https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1496731660066435072

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wafflepoet posted:

gently caress Putin. gently caress the current Russian government and everything it represents. Don’t think for a moment I care for anyone other than the Ukrainian people in this situation. Stating the basic facts of the geopolitical situation isn’t supporting the actions of the Russian state. They’re just facts.

NATO has been dangling the possibility of accession to Ukraine, Georgia and other states since 2008. Russia has made it clear since then that it would not allow this to happen. I don’t know how the gently caress I’m some kind of Russian apologist for providing the most basic outline of the geopolitical situation in the region since 2008.

Again, gently caress Putin, but do deny the reality that NATO has some responsibility for this situation is simply delusional. This is so much worse for Ukraine. It was impossible for them to join NATO once Russia hosed them in 2014, but NATO continued to be openly involved nonetheless.

My friend, can you cut down this grotesque ghoul posting for at least couple of days until people have emotionally calmed down? Or at least don't do it here, there are other war threads on SA where it's accepted

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

punk rebel ecks posted:

If the citizens of Georgia and Ukraine want to elect leaders who push for NATO membership that's not the fault of NATO. It's not like almost every other post-Soviet state hasn't joined the organization.

Imagine a bully is about to take you and your friend's lunch money for the nth time this year but otherwise would leave you unharmed other than a few slaps to the face. Then this group of guys over there are telling you not to hand over the lunch money anymore and join the club so that the bully can't take your lunch money anymore. You watch some of your friends join the group and the bully grumbles a bit but does nothing. So you turn around and tell the bully to go gently caress himself and proceed to walk towards the rest of the group but the group says whoa, hold on, give us a few minutes. You are a bit confused and wait around a bit and now the pissed-off bully punches you in the face and tells you to hand over the lunch money. You look back over and the group is a bit nervous all of a sudden but tells you to stick up for yourself. The bully eyes up the rest of the group for a sec then proceeds to trip you, sit on top of you, and then beats the living poo poo out of you. The group that told you to stick up for yourself turns around, puts their hands in their pocket, and starts walking away whistling quietly.

NATO and the US were a bunch of turds. They should have told Ukraine in 2014 that we were loving with you and you probably aren't going to get in since we don't actually want a military confrontation with Russia and that they should really start looking to make a deal with Putin. Instead, we keep dangling the carrot making the Ukrainians think they actually had a real choice to make, and then when the hammer comes down, we just watch and complain strongly when we knew from day 1 that we were never really in the business of going to fight for Ukraine if the chips got shoved in the middle.

THAT is where NATO's fault lies.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghetto Prince posted:

It's hard to call NATO defensive when it's been expanding constantly

Yes, the imperialist NATO just steamrolling over all those poor counties who */checks notes*/ asked to be admitted or were invited and accepted.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Wafflepoet posted:

You can't guarantee ascension. If you wish to join you have to fulfill a number of requirements and then you submit an application which is either approved or denied depending on various political considerations. The process can take decades and you may never join simply because some other country has beef with you. A guarantee would be a lie. Everybody knows this.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

That's it by god, it's time to be mean to 2 or 3 more of London's Russian oligarchs.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Russian forces seem to be advancing pretty steadily from the east without much resistance visible.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1496740663592771587

Survivors from the airforce are bringing their planes to neutral countries

https://twitter.com/Guderian_Xaba/status/1496741180276678656?s=20&t=n1EyppYe0oTJ6_iRYSeZjQ

There is no reason to suggest this is going to go any different than the very quick intial operation predicted (https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/ukraine/2022-02-21/russias-shock-and-awe). What comes after is hard to say.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Yeah, assuming these are russians, they are right outside the city.
https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1496741718250692612

Apparent map location.
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.0548924,36.3611721,3a,55.7y,245.83h,89.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soWLVNlCub3MTKCVJYVBxcA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Melancholia
Jul 5, 2021

D-Pad posted:

Hmmmm...

Don’t be cute. My statement isn’t incorrect. NATO explicitly shares responsibility for the escalation of this situation. No one shares responsibility for the loving invasion of Ukraine except Russia, though. There’s nothing disingenuous about this statement.

steinrokkan posted:

Pretty much. NATO's main failure was being too complacent and friendly towards Russia and treating Putin as a peer who could be reasoned with without the backing of arms.

When I say this I’m a goddamn Tulsi Gabbard Russia apologist plant. I don’t get it.

GABA ghoul posted:

My friend, can you cut down this grotesque ghoul posting for at least couple of days until people have emotionally calmed down? Or at least don't do it here, there are other war threads on SA where it's accepted

I legitimately do not understand what I’m doing that’s ghoulish. I’m not being emotional, I’m certainly not calling people names or accusing them of being some kind of plants. I didn’t see another thread. Could you point me to one where basic discussions of international relations aren’t met with frothing anger, misunderstanding, and name calling? The stuff I’m saying isn’t wrong, I haven’t made any value judgments against anyone except Russia.

I’ll gently caress off. I’ve spent years studying the region, it’s been a passion of mine since university. This forum was my favorite place to actually discuss things, particularly relating to IR, but I haven’t been around here since 2012 or so (lost account). Is this not the place to discuss the horrific situation unfolding in Ukraine?

Owling Howl posted:

You can't guarantee ascension. If you wish to join you have to fulfill a number of requirements and then you submit an application which is either approved or denied depending on various political considerations. The process can take decades and you may never join simply because some other country has beef with you. A guarantee would be a lie. Everybody knows this.

Yeah, this is obvious. We have all known and been told explicitly by Russia what would happen if accession talks continued between Ukraine and NATO. We were either going to let them join or we won’t and it’s unacceptable how loudly NATO sought to bring Ukraine in. gently caress the rules. They were serious or they weren’t an it’s obvious they weren’t. Ukrainians are literally dying. It’s not NATO’s fault before anyone accuses me once again, but this is literally Putin’s justification for invasion. This isn’t a value judgment or some kind of analysis.

Melancholia fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 24, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This thread feels like it is going way too slow with how quickly things are progressing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kirios posted:

This thread feels like it is going way too slow with how quickly things are progressing.

There is a very unstable situation on the ground, that is unfolding very quickly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Report from my lovely family in Kiev:
-Everything is fine, the only people fleeing Kiev are the horrible russian-hating scum from western ukraine and not any true kiev locals.
-If you're not a nazi you have nothing to worry about.
-Nothing will change in Ukraine, they'll just "get" a new more reasonable government picked by Putin which can't be any worse than the current government picked by the US.
-Who cares, this is just the fault of those maidan losers.

Ah, my family...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
BTW looks like uncle Joe's intel was right after all lol :(

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i was really holding out hope that things would at least remain limited. christ, what a pointless waste of lives

if the iron dome was struggling to neutralize the number of rockets the palestinians could manage to smuggle through tunnels into the rubble of gaza, it wouldn't have done poo poo against a concerted artillery and missile attack by one of the largest militaries in the world
By struggling IIRC they were intercepting like 90% of the rockets. Even if it got overwhelemed eventually I think it would be better to have them than not and just immediatley lose every military installation. The end result would've been the same though probably.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Kirios posted:

It's because slow mode is on

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, Moscow is being visited by the Pakistani Prime Minister rn
https://twitter.com/Journo_AB/status/1496720185247547396?s=20&t=xqbkMFFaP1U_Nt5glaSX0Q

This is pretty peculiar considering India's support for Russia in the UNSC meeting Monday.

They're competing.

Russian military actions tend to correlate with a resulting arms sale.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kyiv subway being used as a bomb shelter
https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1496734758843387904?s=20&t=xqbkMFFaP1U_Nt5glaSX0Q

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A someone who grew up during the Cold War this is frightening and depressing.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Report from my lovely family in Kiev:
-Everything is fine, the only people fleeing Kiev are the horrible russian-hating scum from western ukraine and not any true kiev locals.
-If you're not a nazi you have nothing to worry about.
-Nothing will change in Ukraine, they'll just "get" a new more reasonable government picked by Putin which can't be any worse than the current government picked by the US.
-Who cares, this is just the fault of those maidan losers.

Ah, my family...

Sounds very much like my parents who always think in very pro-Iran anti-US terms (and so by extension, sometimes pro-Russia). Dad even said "Ukraine is actually part of Russia isn't it?" a few weeks ago. It's like people short-circuit their thinking into enemy-of-my-enemy-is-my-friend logic and don't consider the specifics that make every situation unique.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

The problem is, the organization's leadership did make that promise, with the full knowledge that France and Germany would veto it. That was, as they say in diplomatic circles, a dick move.

None of that justifies this invasion, Putin is the very clear bad guy, it's just important to understand the context.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Not sure what "terms" the Ukraine could have come to with Putin. Hes been harping on all week how the Ukraine isn't a country. Become Belarussia 2.0 is probably the best the Ukraine could have gotten.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

Sounds very much like my parents who always think in very pro-Iran anti-US terms (and so by extension, sometimes pro-Russia). Dad even said "Ukraine is actually part of Russia isn't it?" a few weeks ago. It's like people short-circuit their thinking into enemy-of-my-enemy-is-my-friend logic and don't consider the specifics that make every situation unique.

Agreed. The US sucks but it sucks because we failed to protect Ukraine from this poo poo show. It doesn't make the shitshow good.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kirios posted:

We should perhaps take off slow mode

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Unless Russia invades a major NATO country like Poland, I can't imagine any world power intervening.

If Russia invades a "minor" NATO country like one of the Baltics they kind of have to intervene, otherwise it voids the entire point of being in a mutually-obligated military alliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Wafflepoet posted:

Yeah, this is obvious. We have all known and been told explicitly by Russia what would happen if accession talks continued between Ukraine and NATO. We were either going to let them join or we won’t and it’s unacceptable how loudly NATO sought to bring Ukraine in. gently caress the rules. They were serious or they weren’t an it’s obvious they weren’t. Ukrainians are literally dying. It’s not NATO’s fault before anyone accuses me once again, but this is literally Putin’s justification for invasion. This isn’t a value judgment or some kind of analysis.

Stop taking actions that would prevent me from invading you, it's making we want to invade you!