Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy poo poo :eyepop:

So those folks are all going to prison right?

Holy poo poo it seems only Putin wanted this war so far, genuimely wasn't expecting Russian leadership to openly defy him like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Are there actually lefty/tankie types trying to defend and justify the invasion or is it just a minority of broke brain freaks? I'm scared to look.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

It's possible they feared doing so earlier would be used as a pretext by Russia to move even more quickly and end hopes of a diplomatic solution.

Obviously stupid now, but not unreasonable considering one of Russia's excuses is that this is "defensive" invasion.

Probably a lot of lying to themselves that this can't possibly happen.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Sumy apparently falling

https://twitter.com/vera_mironov/status/1496874396010807296?s=20&t=yLaR0JlScFNTKDVdgr7opw

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

It's possible they feared doing so earlier would be used as a pretext by Russia to move even more quickly and end hopes of a diplomatic solution.

Obviously stupid now, but not unreasonable considering one of Russia's excuses is that this is "defensive" invasion.

I agree with you, I'm not describing it late from a blame perspective - my intent is to just underscore the disparity between the factual timeline and the Ukrainian self-assessment for how long it takes them to mobilize people. On this issue, I'm in the camp of people saying that Russia would've used mobilization as a pretext.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo it seems only Putin wanted this war so far, genuimely wasn't expecting Russian leadership to openly defy him like this.

hopefully the gulag cells are big enough to fit their enormous balls

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

The Real Amethyst posted:

Are there actually lefty/tankie types trying to defend and justify the invasion or is it just a minority of broke brain freaks? I'm scared to look.

Candace loving Owens tweeted last night that the only person to blame is NATO.

No I won't link it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

coelomate posted:

This is a good question. I am naively hopeful that in addition to nation state sanctions, large corporations will apply meaningful pressure on their own as a response.

If Microsoft disabled Windows from being able to activate in Russia, their offensive will collapse. Amazon cloud storage too.

Zukerberg will continue to make the world worse anyway.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Rubio remains a biased but highly informed source who is live tweeting through this:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1496870020646850561

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

projecthalaxy posted:

You're probably right i just at this moment for hopefully obvious reasons am assuming Putin will do the worst and cruelest thing in every possible situation

Well they're trying to take Chernobyl for some goddamn reason and it's either a terrain thing or potentially a subtle threat to release the b a d d u s t if there isn't compliance

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Gatts posted:

Are your snipers still as good as in past?

I hope they cloned the white death

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

It's not leadership, it's municipal officials. This sounds like super-prison as of right now, though, to be noted, I haven't independently verified if Daily Mail's claim is true, and they're quite the rag on a good day.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I've not seen a single person in here defend it. If you meant twitter etc, then yes obviously.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

There isn't a single "senior" official among the signatories. Municipal deputies are the lowest possible level of elected official there is and they have zero impact on either local or federal politics

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

CommieGIR posted:

I have to assume its spent fuel storage, which is likely to be a low risk issue.

Unless it catches on fire. In which case Russia, Ukraine, and frankly all of central and Northern Europe are hosed.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1496872413157806085

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

This is the internet. If you look hard enough, you can find someone who believes in any given position no matter how stupid

That said I really have not seen any leftist support of the invasion. This is one of the most nakedly pointless military moves in recent history and anyone justifying it is going to have to twist themselves into crazy pretzel knots

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

AveMachina posted:

Well they're trying to take Chernobyl for some goddamn reason and it's either a terrain thing or potentially a subtle threat to release the b a d d u s t if there isn't compliance

I mean I'm on record in here saying i dont think its a "subtle" threat lol

You know how they used to throw donkeys with cholera or whatever into cities in war? That but dropping barrels on the north side of Kyiv

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Rubio getting in on the Clancychat:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1496870026875490313

Reading those words from him is the most nervous I've been about nuclear escalation.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Maybe I'm basing my views too much on action movies because I don't know much about this stuff irl, but wouldn't the tanks just aim their cannons at the buildings where the shots are coming from and explode the buildings?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
With Russia open invading a European democracy, I would have thought we'd see more immediate economic action from EU. I know the pipeline was put on hold days ago but I've seen nothing else.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

he's a journalist. he's supposed to sniff around

Anyone got a pic of the nose?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Also this war really does seem to be the closest thing we have had in a while to where there is one good side.

The Ukranians just want their country and to live in peace, and this action by Putin is universally being seen as horrific across the globe, with the exception of extremely online chuds and brain-dead tankies, is refreshing to see

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

lmao

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AveMachina posted:

Because it has bridges to get across rivers, as well as it houses an active Substation for the Eastern Ukrainian power grid.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

Maybe I'm basing my views too much on action movies because I don't know much about this stuff irl, but wouldn't the tanks just aim their cannons at the buildings where the shots are coming from and explode the buildings?

The video shows exactly that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

John F Bennett posted:

They do that anyway (syria, chechnya) so you might as well drop a few first

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Pook Good Mook posted:

They should legit just seize Russian properties around western Europe, pile up all the belongings inside into the town square, and burn them on the BBC. Burn every yacht in Nice down to the waterline. Make it clear that no Russian should ever feel comfortable buying a townhouse in Kensington ever again.

Why? Just more propaganda from the other side and needless destruction?

Or they could seize those same assets and retain their value. Either way, it won't make a difference to the owners.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

I'm not exactly gleeful about this either

I'm saying the video looks more to me that the armour is shelling apartment buildings, if you check the end of it. Even if people in those buildings are shooting at tanks, which would be at the very least supported by the automatic fire staccato in the video, shotting back with your armoured APC doesn't reflect well on Russian troops.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

AveMachina posted:

They really don’t need the threat of old nuclear dust. They have actual nuclear weapons. Chernobyl is just between where they are and where they want to be. RUSSIA IN CHERNOBYL is just attention grabbing keywords.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

Unless it catches on fire. In which case Russia, Ukraine, and frankly all of central and Northern Europe are hosed.

It's sealed in a loving massive block of steel and concrete.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This seems to be a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's strange to see such public open disagreement to Putin in Russia without immediately following up with "and these people promptly disappeared under mysterious circumstances"

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
If America has been hiding some cyber warfare nukes in their sleeves, now might be a good time to deploy them.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...Counter cyberwarfare?

That would be an interesting development

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1496875469093974020?s=20&t=y7TpdOh7HZ_islNIuGMiWw

I say it's the crowd of kids who just wanted to play Elden Ring getting their revenge.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Youtube user RealVolodya uploaded: "I'm Sorry"
Thumbnail: in a white void. Some things were said that made people feel a type of way and i wanted to clear the air

CommieGIR posted:

Because it has bridges to get across rivers, as well as it houses an active Substation for the Eastern Ukrainian power grid.

Thanks. Appreciate the clarification

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
First peer to peer war of the 21st century, that's for sure. At this point I've given up on any twitter report that isn't directly confirmed by the Ukrainian military, and even then , only if there's video.

That's the definition of a human shield, I really hope they didn't get all their neighbors killed at the end there.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

dr_rat posted:

From a comment in that reddit thread

So yeah looks like its a large Russian air force transport plane. ...that tail was probably needed.
Hopefully that will be making them re-think about where they can try and land them.

Reports are that all the Russians on that transport plane are confirmed dead. Caveat the confirmation comes from Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BoldFace posted:

If America has been hiding some cyber warfare nukes in their sleeves, now might be a good time to deploy them.

That's an unbelievably stupid idea, and you have no idea what kind of damage Russia could do to American infrastructure if a cyberwar starts. It's not quite as dumb as actively sending combat troops to defend Ukraine, but people would very likely die if the US and Russia started attacking each other's infrastructure too.