Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Splint Chesthair posted:

I just saw Afterlife, and aside from the fact that it didn’t need to exist, the only gripe I had was about how it says Egon ended up where he was.

You’re telling me Egon found out the apocalypse was coming and RAY refused to believe him? Ray believed he saw a sponge migrating!

Yea that one was noticed by a lot of fans. The main three guys are such well defined characters(sorry Winston) that fans are definitely gonna notice when you build your movie around a premise that doesn't fit at all with the characters as we have known them up to this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that one was noticed by a lot of fans. The main three guys are such well defined characters(sorry Winston) that fans are definitely gonna notice when you build your movie around a premise that doesn't fit at all with the characters as we have known them up to this point.

I had a feeling there was some griping about that in the last 50+ pages of the thread, just wanted to get it off my chest.

Also Egon’s first impulse is to…panic and move to Oklahoma in the middle of the night? What made this apocalypse worse than the one he’d already stopped in 1984? The one that involved the exact same Sumerian deity? There was never any attempt to explain why this time was supposed to be that much worse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Splint Chesthair posted:

Also Egon’s first impulse is to…panic and move to Oklahoma in the middle of the night? What made this apocalypse worse than the one he’d already stopped in 1984? The one that involved the exact same Sumerian deity? There was never any attempt to explain why this time was supposed to be that much worse.

I think they explain it as Egon just couldn't get through to the guys and he knew he needed the equipment so he just took it and left. Also Egon saw the writing on the walls of the temple that showed the year of Gozer's next return, so he was preparing for that and he thought he had a plan to put Gozer away for good so I guess that's why he became obsessed with it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I found it amusing that Egon automated the incredibly destructive ‘total protonic reversal’ crossing the streams process to keep Gozer’s minions confined.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I think they explain it as Egon just couldn't get through to the guys and he knew he needed the equipment so he just took it and left. Also Egon saw the writing on the walls of the temple that showed the year of Gozer's next return, so he was preparing for that and he thought he had a plan to put Gozer away for good so I guess that's why he became obsessed with it.

This makes me picture Egon attempting to use different Hostess products to make his case and failing because the others only see things in terms of Twinkies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t believe he kept the nestle crunch bar wrapper

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
He earned it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s a GB cookbook coming later this year because ???

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

There’s a GB cookbook coming later this year because ???

Aykroyd wants to keep making money for his and Reitman's great-grandkids' college funds.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gonna need a recipe for a big Twinkie.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dan Aykroyd is a treasure.

Unless he's terrible with money, he has more of it than god and doesn't need Ghostbusters to be huge, but he still wants the franchise to be a thing. Nobody but me was asking for Blues Brothers 2000, but he wanted to make it, so he made it.

Sure, his abilities and stroke don't match his enthusiasm, but I find his energy just so infectious, one spectrum kid to another.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Splint Chesthair posted:

I had a feeling there was some griping about that in the last 50+ pages of the thread, just wanted to get it off my chest.

It was so weird because they could have just had it been that Egon tells them what's up, Ray of course believes him. So it sucks but they agree that Egon needs to move to Oklahoma with some gear to do his thing while Ray stays in NYC in case any activity starts with the Gozer building there again while Egon is messing with this stuff.

Then they can say yeah over the years nothing happened but Egon was obsessed/relationships were striained/whatever. Ray just straight up not believing him was bs.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

It was so weird because they could have just had it been that Egon tells them what's up, Ray of course believes him. So it sucks but they agree that Egon needs to move to Oklahoma with some gear to do his thing while Ray stays in NYC in case any activity starts with the Gozer building there again while Egon is messing with this stuff.

Then they can say yeah over the years nothing happened but Egon was obsessed/relationships were striained/whatever. Ray just straight up not believing him was bs.

It honestly felt like “Egon Spengler can rot in hell” was a line from a much earlier draft where the breakup of the Ghostbusters was a bigger part of the story. Because Ray pretty much does a 180 on Egon in the span of that phone call after 30-plus years of hating his guts. You could see the seams between an earlier “getting the band back together” GB3 script and the “next generation” one that was filmed.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Karloff posted:

Agreed, I liked the film but they certainly made Gozer a bit less impactful, a bit too human in the way she had a back and forth with the characters. 84 Gozer is just delightfully weird and alien.

It felt like Gozer was trying to emulate them because they're the only humans who successfully pushed back and won. A god would surely have a begrudging respect for that.

roffels posted:

It's like they forgot what crossing the streams even meant. I try not to be a nerd about canon, but considering they only had callbacks to one film's story, it shouldn't be hard to get right.

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't think Jason Reitman has ever actually watched Ghostbusters because these are such weird errors to make.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Ray didn't believe Egon because Egon didn't give a poo poo about Ray being triple bankrupted on the firehouse, losing his childhood farm, losing the business they started together.

Egon was laser focused on one threat, while Ray's entire world was collapsing around him.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Ray didn't believe Egon because Egon didn't give a poo poo about Ray being triple bankrupted on the firehouse, losing his childhood farm, losing the business they started together.

Egon was laser focused on one threat, while Ray's entire world was collapsing around him.

Egon was half-expecting Ray to explode when he turned on his proton pack and said nothing!

But Ray was also really excited about that pole, so it’s a wash.

Ray just never struck me as someone who was even capable of holding a grudge. “Hey, Dean Yeager!” That guy clearly hated all three of them and Ray’s still happy to see him.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I felt like Jason obviously wanted to include Bill and Harold’s personal breakup in the film but Bill wouldn’t go for it so he swapped in Ray which, as everyone notes, does not work.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Does Ray say that during the phone call? I don't really want to rewatch it to check.

gregday posted:

I felt like Jason obviously wanted to include Bill and Harold’s personal breakup in the film but Bill wouldn’t go for it so he swapped in Ray which, as everyone notes, does not work.

Writing sloppier than a river of slime.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

gregday posted:

It could of worked if they had given just a bit more as to how it happened. If you had presented why Ray didn't believe Egon or how it was handled it would of expalined so much more AND given the scene more weight.

Also, Dan Akroyd is a decent actor (as most of the cast is) but its easy to forget as he went off the deep end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mooseontheloose posted:

It could of worked if they had given just a bit more as to how it happened. If you had presented why Ray didn't believe Egon or how it was handled it would of expalined so much more AND given the scene more weight.

Also, Dan Akroyd is a decent actor (as most of the cast is) but its easy to forget as he went off the deep end.

I don't quite understand why Aykroyd(and probably Hudson too considering he seems ready to be in a sequel) wasn't written into the script as a more consistent presence where you could give him a few meatier scenes to explain what happened with Egon and also to get to know the new characters. Like, clearly the guy loves Ghostbusters and loves being connected to it and seeing it continue on, why was he not incorporated into the movie a lot more? Sure it's fun to see Peter, Ray, and Winston show up all at the same time as a team but would that moment somehow be ruined if Ray was more featured? We all understand that Murray doesn't want to be there, but Aykroyd does so why do we have to treat them all the same and give them all the same trite 2 minute cameo?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I don't quite understand why Aykroyd(and probably Hudson too considering he seems ready to be in a sequel) wasn't written into the script as a more consistent presence where you could give him a few meatier scenes to explain what happened with Egon and also to get to know the new characters. Like, clearly the guy loves Ghostbusters and loves being connected to it and seeing it continue on, why was he not incorporated into the movie a lot more? Sure it's fun to see Peter, Ray, and Winston show up all at the same time as a team but would that moment somehow be ruined if Ray was more featured? We all understand that Murray doesn't want to be there, but Aykroyd does so why do we have to treat them all the same and give them all the same trite 2 minute cameo?

I really think they were hedging their bets that the original cast would be involved in it at all. Keeping their parts small means it would be really easy to just cut them from the script if they backed out. By most accounts, Murray single-handedly prevented Ghostbusters 3 from happening for nearly three decades, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to have a backup plan. See also: Weaver's weird superfluous appearance in the stinger.

But then again, the sequel hook is built entirely around the original cast and the original settings. Once Gozer is beaten, there's nothing about what's next for the Spengler family, Paul Rudd, "Podcast," etc. It's like they were there for no other reason than to put all the old pieces back on the board. Which, I guess, was probably the point all along.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's crazy to me that Weaver would say yes to Alien Resurrection, and no to GB Afterlife.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's crazy to me that Weaver would say yes to Alien Resurrection, and no to GB Afterlife.

Well for one, she's over 70 now, when she made Alien Resurrection she was barely 50. So she may just want to be semi-retired. Also Alien Resurrection only happened because they incorporated a bunch of her ideas into it, she obviously had a lot more power in that situation to control things than she would for something like a Ghostbusters sequel.

Splint Chesthair posted:

I really think they were hedging their bets that the original cast would be involved in it at all. Keeping their parts small means it would be really easy to just cut them from the script if they backed out. By most accounts, Murray single-handedly prevented Ghostbusters 3 from happening for nearly three decades, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to have a backup plan. See also: Weaver's weird superfluous appearance in the stinger.

I get all that for everyone except for Aykroyd. I find it hard to believe Aykroyd wouldn't jump at the chance to have a more prominent role in a new Ghostbusters, regardless of whether the others where involved or not.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Ernie Hudson too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Well for one, she's over 70 now, when she made Alien Resurrection she was barely 50. So she may just want to be semi-retired. Also Alien Resurrection only happened because they incorporated a bunch of her ideas into it, she obviously had a lot more power in that situation to control things than she would for something like a Ghostbusters sequel.

Eh, fair.

I just really hate Alien Resurrection. :shrug:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I get all that for everyone except for Aykroyd. I find it hard to believe Aykroyd wouldn't jump at the chance to have a more prominent role in a new Ghostbusters, regardless of whether the others where involved or not.

This is all worthless speculation on my part, but it may not have been up to the cast - the producers may have wanted an "all or nothing" approach to the original cast and Murray is famously difficult to corral if your name's not Wes Anderson. They might have seen Murray as the linchpin to the whole thing and wanted a failsafe if he wouldn't commit.

Or the cameos from the original cast were never anything more than fanservice and they were shoehorned into the story as lazily as possible! Again, worthless speculation, but what isn't is that it could have been handled better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It kind've felt like they were being careful to give all three original GBs equal screen time. Ray got the bookstore phone call scene, Winston got the credits scene and Peter got the post credits scene

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It kind've felt like they were being careful to give all three original GBs equal screen time. Ray got the bookstore phone call scene, Winston got the credits scene and Peter got the post credits scene

I don't disagree, it does seem like that, but it's just dumb as hell if that's what they did because if Murray complains about lack of screen time he can go gently caress himself. You're the one who didn't want to do a GB sequel dude, of course they'd give you plenty of screen time if you wanted it but you refuse so we're giving it to people who actually want to be here.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

WonkyBob posted:

It felt like Gozer was trying to emulate them because they're the only humans who successfully pushed back and won. A god would surely have a begrudging respect for that.

I got the feeling Gozer was kind of baffled by the whole thing. Stepping into the world, killing your cult leader, petting your dogs, and then posing on a throne waiting until a 12-year-old shows up and mistaking her for an eager sacrifice isn't exactly the pattern of behavior we saw in the first movie. I'm sure part of the difference was that this seemed to be home ground of sorts, but surely Gozer was aware that Egon made a concerted effort to halt their entry to the world at full power.

I found it to be a pretty reasonable alien god response: "I don't understand, you DON'T want the world to end? Again? Because that guy I just tore apart sure seemed to want that." Then they lose a dog and go a bit fuzzy, get mad and pursue, and end up confronted by three people who confronted them before, but may not actually recognize them. It's unclear Gozer understands that human beings age. I think it's significant that we get a repeat of the "Are you a god?" line but no request about choosing; trapping and kidnapping Zuul evidently disrupted that part of the pattern, and it'd be reasonable for Gozer to want to deal with these three gods before getting on with business.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It may be that Gozer's standard operating procedure is to come through the portal, then just hang out until one of the lowly mortals shows up to choose the form of the Destructor. So that may have been about to happen if not for the kids trapping Zuul and running off with it.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Narsham posted:

I got the feeling Gozer was kind of baffled by the whole thing. Stepping into the world, killing your cult leader, petting your dogs, and then posing on a throne waiting until a 12-year-old shows up and mistaking her for an eager sacrifice isn't exactly the pattern of behavior we saw in the first movie. I'm sure part of the difference was that this seemed to be home ground of sorts, but surely Gozer was aware that Egon made a concerted effort to halt their entry to the world at full power.

I found it to be a pretty reasonable alien god response: "I don't understand, you DON'T want the world to end? Again? Because that guy I just tore apart sure seemed to want that." Then they lose a dog and go a bit fuzzy, get mad and pursue, and end up confronted by three people who confronted them before, but may not actually recognize them. It's unclear Gozer understands that human beings age. I think it's significant that we get a repeat of the "Are you a god?" line but no request about choosing; trapping and kidnapping Zuul evidently disrupted that part of the pattern, and it'd be reasonable for Gozer to want to deal with these three gods before getting on with business.

You're probably right, I'm trying to apply human logic to an interdimensional god. It's not a great excuse but I blame the fact that I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.

It's a shame we didn't get another ridiculous destructor.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m still baffled that Slimer didn’t come back. Of all the things not to return, he was like their mascot!

Also a puppet, which eliminates the whole whole aging and not wanting to do it things.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m still baffled that Slimer didn’t come back. Of all the things not to return, he was like their mascot!

Also a puppet, which eliminates the whole whole aging and not wanting to do it things.

Maybe one of the producers was adamant that there's no way a green puppet mascot character from a 30 year old sci-fi franchise would work with people today.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If I could have any one Ghostbuster show up at my birthday party, it would be Ernie Hudson. This is really why the start of Ghostbusters 2 sets everything on such an odd tone.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
it's because they wanted He-Man

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

Which apparently was a dig at Filmation's He-man vs The Real Ghostbusters, even though it was kind of dated then.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really just wanted to post that Ernie Hudson rules in a way tied to the events of the movies.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Shiroc posted:

I really just wanted to post that Ernie Hudson rules in a way tied to the events of the movies.

I really am hopeful for a sequel with him as the boss, and the Spengler family and associates as the team. Throw in one or two other people, maybe, and ideally have a new threat.

I’ve been catching up on the thread after finally seeing Afterlife, and it occurred to me that if you mapped the original movies onto an RPG framework, the GB 2 is a scenario, while GB 1 is a campaign. Afterlife feels mostly like a scenario, but with some side quests which were largely unrelated. (The 2016 film seemed more of a scenario but with a “characters meeting/recruitment opening.)

The campaign approach is more satisfying, because you get to tell some smaller stories about ghostbusting that turn out to build toward the climax of the campaign. All the smaller villains come back and the big bad’s plans become clear. A sequel built more along those lines would be most satisfying, IMO.

Just give me more Hudson, and more of Coon and Grace. I especially want to see Callie after her character arc in Afterlife; I bet she and Hudson would be remarkable as the leader-mentors of a new GB team.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gnome de plume posted:

Ungrateful little yuppie larva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If they do a sequel they should do one of the villains from Real Ghostbusters like Samhain or The Boogeyman.