Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Nenonen posted:

Unless it was a special forces in-n-out to just cripple the airport equipment with no intention to hold it? OTOH if the task group was meant to hold it and either clear the way for heavier cargo planes or wait for land forces to connect then that would be a colossal failure. Strange that they haven't tweeted pics yet then.

It’s been just amended the statement, they haven’t taken the airport yet. People celebrated too early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Nenonen posted:

Unless it was a special forces in-n-out to just cripple the airport equipment with no intention to hold it? OTOH if the task group was meant to hold it and either clear the way for heavier cargo planes or wait for land forces to connect then that would be a colossal failure. Strange that they haven't tweeted pics yet then.

You can render airports unusable at range with missiles and no loss of troops.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I wouldn't get too hype over unverified tweets about Russian losses. That said, the Russian army has a long and glorious history of being over hyped and under performing relative to their sheer size and how much the sales copy for their exported weapons systems brags about TENTH GENERATION REACTIVE ARMOR on what are basically repainted T-72 shitbox tanks or whatever.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Recoome posted:

I hope this isn’t against the rules but Ukraine is proving a lot more challenging to Russia than Georgia in 2008, and this is with the military reforms Russia underwent. Absolutely insane.

Georgia's like a ninth the size of Ukraine.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

If they really retook the airport they should be posting shitloads of pics, that would be a huge propaganda win. Until we see pics of the wrecked airport strewn in corpses I'll assume that it hasn't been retaken.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Recoome posted:

I hope this isn’t against the rules but Ukraine is proving a lot more challenging to Russia than Georgia in 2008, and this is with the military reforms Russia underwent. Absolutely insane.
The population of Ukraine is nearly 12 times that of Georgia.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

acidx posted:

There's already been footage of helicopters shot down outside of Kiev as well.

That was from the initial air assault over Hostomel. Committing an entire Brigade of helos to an air assault that deep into Ukrainian territory seemed suicidal when I first saw it, making me doubt the location in initial reports, but it seems they scoped out there were few MANPADS (due to slow mobilization) and the VDV just loving went with it to land a paratrooper brigade and secure the airport.

But they didn't count with the Hero Fulcrum. That was loving crazy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496803995310034945
Initial air assault over Hostomel.

https://mobile.twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496814689547870211
Out of literally nowhere Ukrainian MiG-29.

https://mobile.twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496815218701262858
Entire Air Assault does a snap withdrawal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1496822110798458892
Soon after engaged by Russian Su-30SM in the once-in-a-lifetime real peer v peer dogfight.

The Fulcrum looks to have only stalled the air assault and the VDV still took the air power with a follow up, but this guy is still hero.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 24, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

aphid_licker posted:

If they really retook the airport they should be posting shitloads of pics, that would be a huge propaganda win. Until we see pics of the wrecked airport strewn in corpses I'll assume that it hasn't been retaken.

They haven't. The source retracted their statement.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Inner Light posted:

Those Twitter videos were the first time, hopefully the last, that I have seen Real Deal cruise missiles in flight whooshing along to their targets. Crazy to see. They sound just like an aircraft because of their jet engine.

I start to get uncomfortable when I imagine what that might look like for an ICBM.

The shear speed and power of warfare always surprises me. It's literally hell on earth, but very very real.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

FishBulbia posted:

They haven't. The source retracted their statement.

Can confirm the source has retracted their statement

quote:

By Gostomel.
I'm going to clarify.
The battle is still going on. Our artillery and tanks are working.
I deleted the previous post to avoid misunderstandings.
I would like to remind you that I and the Office do not report false information even in the interest of "... the fight for information."
We only report what corresponds to reality.
Unfortunately, inaccuracies are inevitable and with Gostomel was the first of them.
The main thing is to fix it in time.

https://www.facebook.com/alexey.arestovich/posts/5245328398864531

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Conspiratiorist posted:

That was from the initial air assault over Hostomel. Committing an entire Brigade of helos to an air assault that deep into Ukrainian territory seemed suicidal when I first saw it, making me doubt the location in initial reports, but it seems they scoped out there were few MANPADS (due to slow mobilization) and the VDV just loving went with it to land a paratrooper brigade and secure the airport.

But they didn't count with the Hero Fulcrum. That was loving crazy.

hero fulcrum?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Kaddish posted:

It would be like Delta/Seals/MARSOC or something being repelled from a major US objective. A huge black eye.

Wonder if delta force had actually gone ahead with the planned Iran embassy rescue if it would have ended something like that. Would have been near impossible to reinforce if things didn't go perfectly.

aphid_licker posted:

Dumb question but if Russia had it confirmed that the airport was retaken wouldn't it be a bad idea for anyone to stick around? Would assume they'd be carpet bombing it out of spite.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fulcrum is the nato reporting name for a Mig-29

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1496929871339352064?s=20&t=LLbESTxUO8DV87A-ZqxVsg
This is probably about the transport we saw shot down a few hours ago?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I'm pretty sure his speech prior to the invasion shows he's nuts.

I think someone needs to tell him any one of those three countries could obliterate Russia with their own nuclear arsenals, so maybe let’s not make stupid threats.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

Can confirm the source has retracted their statement

https://www.facebook.com/alexey.arestovich/posts/5245328398864531
gently caress. Take it back boys!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Recoome posted:

I don't think invading Ukraine would be easy for anyone, even the US. Its a massive country with a huge army.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1496931747023495176

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The amount of tanks (reported) to be taken out is insane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if they don't take the airport back, they could presumably move enough AA equipment near it to deny any landings in the area? And the russian forces on the ground presumably will not get any reinforcement otherwise until the land forces get there, at which point it probably doesn't matter who owns the thing.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Kavros posted:

He's big on incendiary statements and brinkmanshippy threats just as a political strategy, but: crazy. I would not have taken "crazy" as an option before the events of the last week. I'm forced to change my mind in this regard. The general image of Putin as a canny manipulator with rational (if belligerent) long-term aims has effectively been ended by his most recent public meetings and speeches. He's poisoned by hypernationalist revanchism, and his resulting imperialism cannot be predicted by what a leader might do rationally.

Putin’s mindset appears to be the classic KGB mindset, which assumes that the West’s only goal is to destroy Russia (to the point where they spent decades trying to prove that the West was angling to get into position to execute a nuclear first strike, despite never actually finding any evidence of such a plan) and that their disinformation is convincing no matter how inane it is.

He’s rational in that his actions can be predicted, you just need to work from a different set of background assumptions.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wonder if delta force had actually gone ahead with the planned Iran embassy rescue if it would have ended something like that. Would have been near impossible to reinforce if things didn't go perfectly.

Dumb question but if Russia had it confirmed that the airport was retaken wouldn't it be a bad idea for anyone to stick around? Would assume they'd be carpet bombing it out of spite.

Things didn't go perfectly, obviously, and it was a huge debacle. It's literally why SEAL Team 6 was commissioned. As well as JSOC.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

Ukraine has over 6,000 tanks and Russia has over 12,000. I assume most on either side won't see combat, but even still, there's a lot to go around.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

OwlFancier posted:

Even if they don't take the airport back, they could presumably move enough AA equipment near it to deny any landings in the area? And the russian forces on the ground presumably will not get any reinforcement otherwise until the land forces get there, at which point it probably doesn't matter who owns the thing.

They could have high flying fighters armed for A2G to pick out any units trying to move into position. The airport in question is kind of out in the country side, making moving stuff there a bitch if you don't have air superiority.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SourKraut posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a historical joke...

It's interesting though that Putin specifically mentions demilitarization and denazification. The Potsdam Conference in 1945 also included democratization, decentralization, dismantling and decartelization. Decentralization would really be part of Putin's goals, nothing is more decentralizing than breaking Ukraine into independent republics. Dismantling the industries also bides well, Ukraine should be just an agricultural producer with no heavy industry. Those factories can be moved to Russia.

Just those democratization and decartelization bits might be hard for Putin to say aloud.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1496922915954216962?s=20&t=KMOgkqZ7xoxDgOAAOKLtdA

holy poo poo if this is true then that is absolutely embarrassing for the Russian armed forces.

According to Kyiv Independent, the fight continues. They’re reliable enough for me to want for additional confirmation here. Accompanying rumour mill suggests tanks and artillery involved, with heavy shelling of the airport, which makes sense to me since chances are it’s held by quite literally the best of the best in Russian infantry.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Telsa Cola posted:

Where is this being reported? Is there a score keeping dashboard somewhere?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Solaris 2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1496922915954216962?s=20&t=KMOgkqZ7xoxDgOAAOKLtdA

holy poo poo if this is true then that is absolutely embarrassing for the Russian armed forces.

It suddenly makes a lot of sense Putin started begging the Ukrainians to stop fighting again.

Fat chance, Russia. You may ‘win’ your war, but you’ve picked a fight with a country with the willingness to defend their right to exist, and the strength to not only make Russia pay for their ‘victory,’ but also show the world how weak the Russian military apparatus really is.

And no wonder he’s threatening nuclear war again, because just right this moment, Ukraine is demonstrating how one sided a conventional war with NATO would actually be.

Good for you, Ukraine. Every minute your people and Armed Forces resist Putin shows the world your strength as a nation, and the utter disaster modern day fascism brings to countries ruled by it.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

TheBuilder posted:

Where is this being reported? Is there a score keeping dashboard somewhere?

For real? Maybe in 10-20 years there'll be an accurate count.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1496933090370985986

The blitzkrieg scenario did not go far. I am wondering how the morale among soldiers is on both sides, how interested are contractors to risk a pretty good chance of dying for a mediocre wage?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Sinteres posted:

Ukraine has over 6,000 tanks and Russia has over 12,000. I assume most on either side won't see combat, but even still, there's a lot to go around.

Are you sure? The Guardian's visual guide to the invasion (which has been pretty useful: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/23/the-ukraine-russia-crisis-explained-a-complete-visual-guide) states that Ukraine has 858 MBTs + 1,184 additional fighting vehicles vs Russia's 2,840 MBTS + 5,220 additional fighting vehicles.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

ZombieLenin posted:

I think someone needs to tell him any one of those three countries could obliterate Russia with their own nuclear arsenals, so maybe let’s not make stupid threats.

Rewatch his speech following his meeting with Marcon. He isn't some deranged idiot everyone here says he his. He clearly laid out how he knows his own conventional forces are no match for NATO. He then goes on to imply in any conflict with NATO, he would have no chance but to go nuclear and that is a war that has no winners.

His messaging has been consistent and on point for years. Here and no farther - at any cost.

E: phone posting is hard

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

According to Kyiv Independent, the fight continues. They’re reliable enough for me to want for additional confirmation here. Accompanying rumour mill suggests tanks and artillery involved, with heavy shelling of the airport, which makes sense to me since chances are it’s held by quite literally the best of the best in Russian infantry.
Presumable at this point just shelling the runway to the point that fixed wing landings become impossible would be a gain for Ukraine?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pablo Bluth posted:

Presumable at this point just shelling the runway to the point that fixed wing landings become impossible would be a gain for Ukraine?

Almost definitely yes.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I really do think Putin got cocky after Georgia and Crimea capitulated so easily. Ukraine really is taking it to the Russians right now it seems, to point that his ego's hurt and he's ranting about nukes again while offering peace at the point of a gun.

The more this goes on Russia is just getting embarrassed and NATO is taking notes

I think Russian military will study this conflict either way for years to come on what went wrong/ right

I'm pretty amazed at Ukraine's sheer tenacity

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 24, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

100 highly trained and reasonably equipped special operation troops should be able to hold that airport for at least a few days, in the sense that holding it means they're still alive.

I'm gonna guess that runway isn't usable even now.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

OwlFancier posted:

Or they can just continuously crater the runway.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

Are you sure? The Guardian's visual guide to the invasion (which has been pretty useful: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/23/the-ukraine-russia-crisis-explained-a-complete-visual-guide) states that Ukraine has 858 MBTs + 1,184 additional fighting vehicles vs Russia's 2,840 MBTS + 5,220 additional fighting vehicles.

I'm not confident enough to argue with someone whose username is MeinPanzer about it, no.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

MikeC posted:

Rewatch his speech following his meeting with Marcon. He isn't some deranged idiot everyone here says he his. He clearly laid out how he knows his own conventional forces are no match for NATO. He then goes on to imply in any conflict with NATO, he would have no chance but to go nuclear and that is a war that has no winners.

His messaging has been consistent and on point for years. Here and no farther - at any cost.

E: phone posting is hard

Nah the problem is Ukraine's independence and economic integration with the EU

You need to stop taking the demands of a lying guy credulously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Edited it back in my post. Ukrainian Airforce should have had no planes, no bases, and yet this guy was still up in their flying at altitude zero in the most hostile air environment possible to save his people and community.

I cannot overstate how crazy this was. The Russians already have their S-400s up so he needed to stay super low and pop out in crowded environments where you can't get a SAM shot without risking friendlies, and then fight it out with other air frames even though the enemy Flankers are technically superior in every respect to the Ukrainian MiG-29BU1.

Absolutely incredible poo poo.