Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Randarkman posted:

An earlier post said his facebook was not pro-Russian.

Fog of war so thick itt you can cut it with a knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Snake Island "go gently caress yourself" guards footage
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496979972816314372

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Read the full statement. He's not challenging Putin's threats, he's flirting with Putin's ceasefire terms (although trying to do so from a position of whatever strength he can muster.) He acknowledges that he's not getting the guarantees from NATO that he thought he would and is inviting Russia to do better.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Thanks for saying I'm wrong.

In light of a full scale invasion and Putin's threats for outside forces to not interfere lest..., yes the President of Ukraine is calling it out and is not afraid.

Anyone who's country is under full scale invasion claiming to not be afraid is either lying or broken

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

i am a moron posted:

Agreed. And that age range is insane, what’s a 60 year old man gonna do? Just let them flee

Drive a truck? Wash laundry? Do simple paperwork? There are a lot of support tasks in military. But mostly I think it's just that government is working under pressure and can't spend days pondering where to draw the line so it has to be arbitrary.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

the holy poopacy posted:

Read the full statement. He's not challenging Putin's threats, he's flirting with Putin's ceasefire terms (although trying to do so from a position of whatever strength he can muster.) He acknowledges that he's not getting the guarantees from NATO that he thought he would and is inviting Russia to do better.

Yeah to me it reads like frustration that NATO has left him out to dry. I don’t known what promises and assurances were made to him privately, but obviously he’s not getting the support he expected.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

i am a moron posted:

Agreed. And that age range is insane, what’s a 60 year old man gonna do? Just let them flee

Point and aim and pull the trigger of a javelin

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well the key word is probably now is WAS

Good. If that intel he was writing had got into Russian hands and that in turn led to deaths, quite likely civilian, he deserves the worst, If the facts are all correct of course. And if so maybe the penalty for him won't be death, but it should be life in a very dark hole somewhere.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just don’t see a point. It’s on twitter. It’s out there. And I’m pretty sure forums posters aren’t beholden to whatever Geneva convention says you can’t post pictures of pows.

Okay, provisionally pow and pow adjacent pictures are okay then if they haven't been / aren't being mistreated.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Just Chamber posted:

Good. If that intel he was writing had got into Russian hands and that in turn led to deaths, quite likely civilian, he deserves the worst, If the facts are all correct of course. And if so maybe the penalty for him won't be death, but it should be life in a very dark hole somewhere.

Maybe we shouldn't celebrate the possible death of a person who may or may not have been a spy according to Twitter.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Popete posted:

Maybe we shouldn't celebrate the possible death of a person who may or may not have been a spy according to Twitter.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

How has the first day of war been reported in Russian media?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Point and aim and pull the trigger of a javelin

Oops, he got cardiac arrest while going to position.

The current male life expectancy in Ukraine is 67 years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Just Chamber posted:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1496987322553876480

more info about the airport fight. VDV got wrecked.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nenonen posted:

How has the first day of war been reported in Russian media?

Oops, he got cardiac arrest while going to position.

The current male life expectancy in Ukraine is 67 years.

"59 year olds! When the 60 year old in front of you dies, pick up his Javelin."

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This doesn't seem to be based on anything though. I'm going to wait until I see Ukrainian or Russian media showing of the base to decide its not contested. If that exists, please link so I can adjust my map.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Holy poo poo

Ukraine really is still contesting airspace with Russia this far in? This is not a good sign for Russian plans at all

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Sorry for the loss of life but …..nice

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Randarkman posted:

If I'm not mistaken that's the guys who their asses kicked by these guys

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1496973896922263572

You can tell because the Ukrainians took that photo in a shelter right now and the Russians were fighting in the open.

I recall a video from a couple weeks ago that featured Russians training for urban combat and absolutely none of them took basic cover.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Just Chamber posted:

Good. If that intel he was writing had got into Russian hands

Gosh, I hope no one in the Kremlin sees the high-res image of the spy's top-secret targeting notes that got posted on goddamn Twitter.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

coelomate posted:

Yes, and "proportional response" and escalations are really important when escalation chains end with nuclear weapons. It's really important that things hurt, options stay on the table, off ramps are presented, etc. Crafting these responses must be incredibly tense.

That’s allowing the other party to negotiate your terms for you. Have you ever done negotiations of any kind? You have to know what your “walk away” points are. If they are closer than your opponents, then you either accept you don’t have sufficient leverage at the table or you adjust. The US and EU need to be in total lock step, Russia will have zero international economic activity, and anyone who wants access to the US market cannot do business with Russia. This is obviously a pretext for Russia to overreact and allow substantial US intervention.

The US and EU apparently have to be reminded that you cannot appease strongmen. They must be stopped unequivocally by force of arms. If sanctions worked than why haven’t we seen regime change in North Korea or Iran?

Russia is a rogue state led by a KGB madman whose time has passed. Anyone that supports Russia and its propaganda machine are craven bootlickers.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/YourAnonOne/status/1496965766435926039?s=20&t=Zys7iGYFJk1IUJRX0ZFXPg

https://twitter.com/YourAnonOne/status/1496981560406339600?s=20&t=Zys7iGYFJk1IUJRX0ZFXPg

https://twitter.com/YourAnonOne/status/1496976346995638272?s=20&t=Zys7iGYFJk1IUJRX0ZFXPg

RT.com is busted

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kamrat posted:

Thought we weren't supposed to post POWs?

posting is not covered by the geneva conventions lmao

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

This doesn't seem to be based on anything though. I'm going to wait until I see Ukrainian or Russian media showing of the base to decide its not contested. If that exists, please link so I can adjust my map.

Indeed. It would be huge if the Ukrainian airforce was still active in the area, but a tweet devoid of sources is not much of help.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

the holy poopacy posted:

Exactly, he is negotiating for his country's survival now. This exactly what I said he should have been doing weeks ago in the EE thread. The man either was given a bad cheque by the West and told to stand firm, or has no political acumen and thought that Putin would actually back down.

A tragic shame either way.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Indeed. It would be huge if the Ukrainian airforce was still active in the area, but a tweet devoid of sources is not much of help.

https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1496982566431125524

That's for sure a SU 24

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
If everything that I have been reading about the Ukrainian airforce over the last 24 hours is true then I have to say that for an airforce that probably no longer exists they did one hell of a job with what they had.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

If it was, it didn't stay busted for long.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

posting is not covered by the geneva conventions lmao

I'm with the American red cross and I'm here to provide aid to this dying website!

Haha just kidding I'm here to poo poo post

oh no im in the hauge help me

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jamsque posted:

If it was, it didn't stay busted for long.

It was just a minute ago, still not loading in properly or taking a very long time to do so for me.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Rad Russian posted:

That's everyone in Russia right now. Either you're the USA equivalent of QAnon and only watch specific news and ignore everything else, or you actually welcome other perspectives and views. Your pro-war neighbor might only be seeing Russia liberating children from Ukraine nazi concentration camps, while you're anti-war and watching Ukrainian people fighting to the death defending their homes. Both of you will consider the other one a fascist supporter at the same time.

To be fair, this seems to be happening world-wide. Russia may have been first in line with all this though due to obvious historical context.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Charliegrs posted:

If everything that I have been reading about the Ukrainian airforce over the last 24 hours is true then I have to say that for an airforce that probably no longer exists they did one hell of a job with what they had.

Even more impressive given that most of it is 35+ year old ex-Soviet gear, and until recently probably wasn't that well-funded or maintained.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I assume that they'll just try to take another airport in the next day or so, but it's a big deal that they could not secure hostomel. Russian plan was to have transports pouring equipment and personnel into it at this point, so that's a big hold.

Also very much would not want to be a tanker with orders to drive hundreds of miles across hostile territory in ukraine right now. driving onto and off of a plane seems like a hugely better deal than that

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

I'm not tech savvy enough to spot obvious fakeness but

https://mobile.twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1496990787539595280

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Hoping the NATO/Five Eyes tactical intel is allowing Ukraine to punch above its weight and be more decisive with the lethal aid it has received.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

TheRat posted:

Anyone who's country is under full scale invasion claiming to not be afraid is either lying or broken

You know what he loving means lol.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also very much would not want to be a tanker with orders to drive hundreds of miles across hostile territory in ukraine right now. driving onto and off of a plane seems like a hugely better deal than that
Considering what happened to that transport plane that crashed in Russia proper I wouldn|t be so sure about that.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Interesting point about Kyiv is that it has a 52-station subway system, including the deepest station in the world. Kharkiv has 30 stations. Dniepro has 6. These are great defensive structures.

To my knowledge, we haven’t had a modern urban engagement with such an extensive tunnel system. The Berlin subway ran until 1945, allowing the city to function despite bombings. It was finally disabled by flooding - suspected but never proven sabotage.
Warsaw did not have a subway system, but its extensive canal network was heavily used by partizans.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Paracausal posted:

Hoping the NATO/Five Eyes tactical intel is allowing Ukraine to punch above its weight and be more decisive with the lethal aid it has received.

Helping teach random dudes around the world take down Russian made equipment is the only thing the CIA is actually qualified to do

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I hope this becomes Putin's Afghanistan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I hope it doesnt and withdrawal occurs soon