Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

coelomate posted:

"Ghost of Kyiv" is trending on twitter. I assume it's raw propaganda, whether it has natural roots or not. Interesting to see how propaganda plays out in the age of twitter.

https://twitter.com/dinotrakker/status/1496972883876360195

His sonic boom is nothing compared to the one made by Jerry Bruckheimer starting the screenplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Mass abandonment by Russian troops would sure be a fun and welcome development

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Orthanc6 posted:

Mass abandonment by Russian troops would sure be a fun and welcome development

I mean it sure would. This could be propaganda though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

coelomate posted:

"Ghost of Kyiv" is trending on twitter. I assume it's raw propaganda, whether it has natural roots or not. Interesting to see how propaganda plays out in the age of twitter.

it sounds like he got at least 2 planes. so still good.

jesus christ if true.

FishBulbia posted:

Okay, right, the retracted statement. Do they have video from the airbase showing Ukr troops there?

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1496950008339484672

also this happened
https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1496970026099818497

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ummel posted:

Someone said something about Turkish drones earlier.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1497000512163565569

CW: The link has drone footage of war combat, but it is not gore. Mostly armor getting got.

I can't vouch for the website, apparently it is from Belarus? Just edit/delete it if this isn't cool.

Hey Turkey, doesn't it feel good to defend a desperate underdog from a predatory foe? Please learn from it maybe? Even slightly?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

sweet geek swag posted:

I mean it sure would. This could be propaganda though.

They don't specify numbers and it wouldn't be crazy for a couple vehicle crews to bug the gently caress out if shits gone south in their location.

So yeah maybe its true but if its just like 1 or two vehicles then its not a huge deal.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Bullfrog posted:

There are seemingly a lot of African users in the replies to Ukraine officials tweet saying they will fight for Ukraine. I can't vouch for authenticity but there's a notable amount of them. Is there some kind of affinity between people in Africa and Ukraine or is this just normal, offbeat international internet stuff?

https://twitter.com/levi_rodney/status/1496810368659718145

A Somali I know via work says that there's a tradition going back to the USSR of Somalis going to Kyiv Uni to become doctors. So at any given time there might be five Somali med students in Kyiv. Don't think that's what's underlying this but a cool story.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/rbsw/status/1496770302835142657?s=21

Dream: Destroy NATO with single swift invasion

Reality: rearm nato so it’s not just four actual militaries and 26 freeloaders

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bullfrog posted:

There are seemingly a lot of African users in the replies to Ukraine officials tweet saying they will fight for Ukraine. I can't vouch for authenticity but there's a notable amount of them. Is there some kind of affinity between people in Africa and Ukraine or is this just normal, offbeat international internet stuff?

colonialism/anti imperial stuff. a lot of African countries know whats its like to be ruled by weird European psycho.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
It was never, and should not be, the intention of NATO that Germany will fight Russia over a non-NATO ally lol.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

This is the retracted statement. The tweet about fighting still going on their from the MoD is after this, so I don't feel confident that they do actually control it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
These reports of Russian soldiers getting their asses kicked are heartening. I hope the Ukrainian forces are feeling bolstered and determined. Every Russian soldier dropped into the dirt is a blow against Putin and fascism.

I hope Russian soldiers start to understand that they don't have to take part in this ghoulish imperial war. Mutiny, shoot your officers.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

How are u posted:

These reports of Russian soldiers getting their asses kicked are heartening. I hope the Ukrainian forces are feeling bolstered and determined. Every Russian soldier dropped into the dirt is a blow against Putin and fascism.

I hope Russian soldiers start to understand that they don't have to take part in this ghoulish imperial war. Mutiny, shoot your officers.

Every Russian KIA is blood on Putin's hands only. (He doesn't care)

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Telsa Cola posted:

They don't specify numbers and it wouldn't be crazy for a couple vehicle crews to bug the gently caress out if shits gone south in their location.

So yeah maybe its true but if its just like 1 or two vehicles then its not a huge deal.

Oh for sure, but that would fall under propaganda, cause they are definitely trying to make it seem more widespread

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean I can also think of reasons why in general there might be quite a few people from African countries who aren't that keen on colonial invasions.

Kenyan UN ambassador says it far better then I could:

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/22/1082334172/kenya-security-council-russia

Not saying it's the reason, but yeah it's definitely been brought up.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How are u posted:

I want Putin and his goons to pay, not the young conscripted Russians being thrown away like wood on a fire.

Let them desert or defect

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

This is the retracted statement. The tweet about fighting still going on their from the MoD is after this, so I don't feel confident that they do actually control it.

No. That's after the retracted statement, which was retracted.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Its a nightmarish mess of retractions and claims but several sources reported that they reclaimed the airport.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

The comments of this very tweet have the dude replacing his head with a Pepe face and his friends razzing him so I think it’s just a joke

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1496987322553876480

more info about the airport fight. VDV got wrecked.
Sounds too good.
I need to see photos or video before I believe it.

CNN was there. What do they say?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

No loving way.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Getting strong Mohammed Said al-Sahhaf vibes up in this bitch.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Charlz Guybon posted:

CNN was there. What do they say?

CNN literally spoke with the Russians that landed initially on camera, and last I heard only reported that Ukraine attempted to take it back. I think CNN got far away once they realized what was going on (originally they asked the troops where the Russians were, as they didn't recognize them, and they replied "we are the Russians" -- or osmething like that).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

I want Putin and his goons to pay, not the young conscripted Russians being thrown away like wood on a fire.

Let them desert or defect

same. i feel bad for the conscripts(not for the vets or the mercs or the spetnaz but thats a whole other thing) like they are poor zoomers who live in one of the bleakest places in the world and they get hosed into long perment military contracts, probably arnt told poo poo and that they will be welcomed as liberators and will have all the women and drink they want, and now your incinerated in your lovely tank older then your dad when it gets hit by a drone or a missle.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Dream: Destroy NATO with single swift invasion

Reality: rearm nato so it’s not just four actual militaries and 26 freeloaders

I cannot get over this. Putin really fell into the same trap that so many others have, thinking that one serious blow would cause the decadent West to crumble and submit.

e: instead he's going to end up with a Pyrrhic victory, the prospect of a decades-long insurgency, and a rearmed and united NATO.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 25, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

coelomate posted:

CNN literally spoke with the Russians that landed initially on camera, and last I heard only reported that Ukraine attempted to take it back. I think CNN got far away once they realized what was going on (originally they asked the troops where the Russians were, as they didn't recognize them, and they replied "we are the Russians" -- or osmething like that).

It sounds like it turned into a poo poo show brawl so yeah I wouldn't be suprised they bailed.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Xeom posted:

Getting strong Mohammed Said al-Sahhaf vibes up in this bitch.

It seems the actual MoD reports about war combat is happening seem sensible. OSINT not too much.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Randarkman posted:

I never saw anything that said they were.

I misspoke when I said Mykolaiv, I was thinking of Melitopol.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

coelomate posted:

I, for one, choose to believe this.

He fights for us

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Moon Slayer posted:

I cannot get over this. Putin really fell into the same trap that so many others have, thinking that one serious blow would cause the decadent West to crumble and submit.

The one thing that the west has proven is that we will fight for the right to destroy ourselves slowly.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

speaking of sketchy osint

https://twitter.com/IntelDoge/status/1496987569405718528

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
This feels really surreal, like big conventional wars like this just aren't supposed to be a thing anymore. Especially driving around my home area, seeing normal peaceful life going on while a continent away people my age are fighting to the death.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Moon Slayer posted:

e: instead he's going to end up with a Pyrrhic victory, the prospect of a decades-long insurgency, and a rearmed and united NATO.

We have only to kick in the door, and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

hope fox is wrong

https://twitter.com/Faaytuks/status/1497013849140215811

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Edit: Possible BS, ignore

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 25, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Nenonen posted:

How has the first day of war been reported in Russian media?

Oops, he got cardiac arrest while going to position.

The current male life expectancy in Ukraine is 67 years.

Life expectancy at birth, sure, but if a Ukrainian man lives to be 60, he'll live another 15 years on average.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

think they will just level the city or just military stuff.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Moon Slayer posted:

Not going to count the chickens at this point, no way, but I do agree with the point that a lot of people seem to underestimate how much people in the West and the world over value democracy, warts and all, and how hard they'll fight for their freedom.

It's what gives me hope in the face of Putin and Xi's global vision of illiberal democracy and global autocracy.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Flesnolk posted:

This feels really surreal, like big conventional wars like this just aren't supposed to be a thing anymore. Especially driving around my home area, seeing normal peaceful life going on while a continent away people my age are fighting to the death.

I had lunch with some coworkers today and could barely keep it together, but nobody else was really interested in discussing it. It's so surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

hobbez posted:

I, for one, choose to believe this.

He fights for us

I hope the Ghost of Kyiv is already feared by Russia's air force. That they keep thinking they've shot him down and he keeps popping back up, like how Japan thought they had sunk the Enterprise multiple times and it got the nickname "the Grey Ghost"