Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

I read somewhere that the "go gently caress yourself" was actually "taste my dick".

It was "иди нахуй", literally "go to dick" but functionally "go gently caress yourself". "taste my dick" would've been "сосни" or "отсоси", which both mean "blow [me]".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Warmachine posted:

The "Fog of War" is an actual real thing and isn't just the shorthand for your vision limitation in strategy games. Hence my comment about Ukraine's ace-in-a-day.

I personally get that but the ace in a day thing could also be multiple jets/AA/lord knows that are being lumped together over the largest city in the country. That's gonna be a lot of spectators so there's probably something to "somethings shooting lots of stuff out of the sky" but confirmation is not something we can expect through a rough social media aggregate of claims. We'll have to wait, its not even been 48 hours.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

the popes toes posted:

I read somewhere that the "go gently caress yourself" was actually "taste my dick".

My Russian's rusty, but literally I think it's more like "go to (the) dick".

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Charliegrs posted:

So there's obviously a British guy there but it sounds like he's talking to an American. I wonder what his story is.

Need to find someone to pull a Teddy Roosevelt and form the Russki Riders

SonnyVasquez
Oct 17, 2012

El riesgo siempre vive!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Final warning to Clancychat - “No WW3 bollocks” rule in the OP does very much apply to it.

My bad. Got it.

Does anyone know when the Odessa cams went down? They were up about 8 hours ago :/

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Grape posted:

It's very clear that the Russian strategy is to take Kiev as quickly as possible so they can knock out the government and maybe install a puppet.
This seems to be coming with a lot of assumptions that this will immediately end the war for all intents and purposes.

Which uh, reminds me an awful lot of the same assumptions Napoleon made in Moscow.

And that Hitler and the entire Nazi command made about Moscow. You'd think RUSSIA of all countries would know that this isn't a game of Advance Wars and you don't auto-win if you take the enemy HQ.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Paracausal posted:

https://twitter.com/nolanwpeterson/status/1497029144898682890
More and more volunteers across Europe will enter Ukraine to give Putin a bloody nose.

This is the coffee fascist I mentioned, incidentally.

But what I was going to post is, how do we know literally any of the stuff being posted is true? It feels like anything and possibly everything could be propaganda and fabrications from one side or another.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
https://twitter.com/HansNichols/status/1497025238009319426

"Austin" is U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin. I think "close to falling" is making assumptions that the Russian military reaching Kyiv = Kyiv being captured immediately, but 20 miles is a lot closer than I thought they would be to the capital at this point.

Other reports make it sound like Russia hadn't progressed that far yet, but the U.S. intel seems to have been pretty accurate so far from what I can tell.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

On the webcams, it looks like bombing has begun in Kyiv

Yep.

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1497035085840715781

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Wondering how well this guy did in that airport battle

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

SonnyVasquez posted:

My bad. Got it.

Does anyone know when the Odessa cams went down? They were up about 8 hours ago :/

Must have been not long after that, but I can't remember exactly what time.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

KM Scorchio posted:

Extremely dead heros.

They thought it was worth it, who am I to say it wasn't?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
1. Why are Turkish drones bombing Russian tanks? Someone posted a tweet some pages back. I guess the question is more along the lines of (if true) why is Turkey directly intervening when the rest of the world won’t?

2. As per the tweet above with the British volunteer. Uhh, what exactly is the legality of a non-citizen of a country to pick up a rifle and start shooting/helping the country they’re in?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

Wondering how well this guy did in that airport battle

He's a general, probably chilling in Moscow.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It was "иди нахуй", literally "go to dick" but functionally "go gently caress yourself". "taste my dick" would've been "сосни" or "отсоси", which both mean "blow [me]".

Important and entertaining distinctions, thank you.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

A lot of folks are talking about the Ukrainian air force ceasing to exist already but they had CAS at the Kyviv airport on day 1 and a lot of interceptor duty. It's too early to know everything and its frankly unlikely that Russia knows where everything is or is able to get maximum effect on everything that they happen to hit.

Bag of salt folks, it's overwhelming to see come in real time but it always takes a while for anything to be confirmed. Repeated and multi-sourced claims can be good but are unfortunately just a start. Besides war is mobile, troops being removed from a position does not guarantee that they won't return to take that position, or that the situation has had a clear conclusion.

Also Ukraine has been preparing for 8 years for this exact situation. It's a David and Goliath affair but Russia clearly overplayed on a couple levels in this and Ukraine isn't the paper tiger they may have expected them to be.

I wonder how much the institutional memory of the 2014 campaign influenced a belief that they'd meet little resistance again this time. Like in many cases they were literally walking into areas entirely uncontested and ukranian bases were being taken with fist fights because ukranians were under strict orders not to start shooting. Ukraine also apparently had ~5-7000 combat ready troops then (by contrast ukraine now has a large, generally quite modern army that's largely been trained to decent standards).

obviously russia can grind down ukraine, but the idea that there would be little friction was deeply off base and kinda belies some really serious misunderstandings of 2022 ukraine vs 2014 ukraine

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

coelomate posted:

CNN literally spoke with the Russians that landed initially on camera, and last I heard only reported that Ukraine attempted to take it back. I think CNN got far away once they realized what was going on (originally they asked the troops where the Russians were, as they didn't recognize them, and they replied "we are the Russians" -- or osmething like that).

Yeah that's literally how it happened lol. The press walked straight up to them thinking they were Ukrainian troops, hailed and spoke to them before the troops revealed that they were, in fact, Russians.

Pretty funny honestly. It's not that hard to tell them apart either, the Russian do wear identifying armbands if they are normal troops.

KM Scorchio posted:

Putin give zero fucks about protests. Peaceful protests achieve nothing even in allegedly democratic states.

It doesn't matter what he thinks about them, it's an indication that these actions are far from universally supported in Russia. That's important. Especially if this drags on and as brutal sanctions begin to take effect.

To my mind, all Russian assets outside of individual family assets should be seized immediately, Russia blocked from SWIFT, all borders closed and the entire country isolated.

Xeom posted:

This is really some funny rear end poo poo. Especially coming from someone who is probably an American.
Putin is certainly one hosed up dude, but he's only as hosed up as western leaders.
We can condemn Putin, of course, but to then say the west values democracy is some truly hilarious poo poo.

shut the gently caress up, man. for all of it's issues, if there's anything the west has ever valued it is democracy (and thereby profits through the free market). it's the system that has been installed literally across the globe at the west's behest or directly copying the west, and has made western countries rich. the system that was installed in Iraq and Afghanistan, temporarily in the second case. so yes, the west values democracy and it's bizarre to even try and disagree with this most obvious of historical facts

if the west doesn't value democracy, who the gently caress does? And why has it become the dominant political system in the world?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

1. Why are Turkish drones bombing Russian tanks? Someone posted a tweet some pages back. I guess the question is more along the lines of (if true) why is Turkey directly intervening when the rest of the world won’t?

2. As per the tweet above with the British volunteer. Uhh, what exactly is the legality of a non-citizen of a country to pick up a rifle and start shooting/helping the country they’re in?

Not an authentic video (I edited my post but it was quoted a bunch). But I believe the original post was about them supplying drones, not being directly involved.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The drone thing was from Syria.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Putin: "Ukrainian Homonazis confirmed!"

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I personally get that but the ace in a day thing could also be multiple jets/AA/lord knows that are being lumped together over the largest city in the country. That's gonna be a lot of spectators so there's probably something to "somethings shooting lots of stuff out of the sky" but confirmation is not something we can expect through a rough social media aggregate of claims. We'll have to wait, its not even been 48 hours.

That's what I'm suspecting. There's enough of Ukrainian MiGs still flying but because people are on the ground, they can't see multiple ones. We know that in the photo of the Ukrainian Su-24 supporting the National Guard at the airport there's at least five more fixed wing aircraft in the background.

BTW, someone translated what that Ukrainian babushka said to the Russian soldiers...
https://twitter.com/tjcrowley/status/1497030751644127234?s=20&t=-0IvlJzkvbeIS-prm84duQ

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Drone video got debunked as Syrian, but Ukraine owns and manufactures Bayraktar TB2 drones, the model famous from Azerbaijan war. It's why Russians were building all those grill shields over their tank turrets.

British volunteer could a resident or a citizen, and even if they aren't - no one here is a Ukrainian lawyer.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Isn't a "cruise ballistic missile" a contradiction in terms? I'm not disputing that poo poo's blowing up but maybe that particular tweet isn't the best confirmation.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I believe that story was purportedly about drones that Turkey had sold to Ukraine, but regardless, the footage was later identified as from a prior engagement in Syria.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

20km is not 1/3 of 200km, which is the closest border point from Kyiv.

Sorry its like way more than 20km. Apparently, I can't read a scale on a map. Just google mapping but it's more like 60 to 70 where Konotop is an offshoot along E101

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Also Putin has threatened to use these twice in the last 24 hours, and Russian doctrine is pretty open to their use against peer to peer opponents.

(CW: War) Ukraine v Russia: peer to peer opponents

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

1: Turkish made drone. Not controlled by the Turks. And that particular video was probably not in Ukraine.

2: At this point Ukraine will probably take whatever help they can get. I can't speak for other countries but I believe for Americans it's very legal to engage in war tourism.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Is the bombing from Russian warships in the Black Sea or aircraft or...? I have no idea how feasible this is or if Ukraine even has any jets left operable but if so, would they have a chance at taking out those warships launching the missiles or would that be suicide? Could the drones they were supplied do the same thing maybe?

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

How are u posted:

They thought it was worth it, who am I to say it wasn't?

I get it. But they aren't heros, they are victims.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

It being a Turkish drone doesn't mean it's a Turkish intervention, it's just equipment that the Ukrainians bought. Also I think all of those videos were from Syria.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
It looks like a missile just took out one of the live feed cameras in Kiev? All other angles look quiet for now

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Young Freud posted:

That's what I'm suspecting. There's enough of Ukrainian MiGs still flying but because people are on the ground, they can't see multiple ones. We know that in the photo of the Ukrainian Su-24 supporting the National Guard at the airport there's at least five more fixed wing aircraft in the background.

BTW, someone translated what that Ukrainian babushka said to the Russian soldiers...
https://twitter.com/tjcrowley/status/1497030751644127234?s=20&t=-0IvlJzkvbeIS-prm84duQ

If true, this lady is a loving badass.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

On the webcams, it looks like bombing has begun in Kyiv

Saw this live, jumped out of my seat.

What the gently caress.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Play posted:

Yeah that's literally how it happened lol. The press walked straight up to them thinking they were Ukrainian troops, hailed and spoke to them before the troops revealed that they were, in fact, Russians.

Pretty funny honestly. It's not that hard to tell them apart either, the Russian do wear identifying armbands if they are normal troops.

It doesn't matter what he thinks about them, it's an indication that these actions are far from universally supported in Russia. That's important. Especially if this drags on and as brutal sanctions begin to take effect.

To my mind, all Russian assets outside of individual family assets should be seized immediately, Russia blocked from SWIFT, all borders closed and the entire country isolated.

shut the gently caress up, man. for all of it's issues, if there's anything the west has ever valued it is democracy (and thereby profits through the free market). it's the system that has been installed literally across the globe at the west's behest or directly copying the west, and has made western countries rich. the system that was installed in Iraq and Afghanistan, temporarily in the second case. so yes, the west values democracy and it's bizarre to even try and disagree with this most obvious of historical facts

if the west doesn't value democracy, who the gently caress does? And why has it become the dominant political system in the world?

The sanctions aren't brutal, they are the bare minimum response that will hurt the common folk of Russia far more than they impact anyone who has actual power.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

KM Scorchio posted:

I get it. But they aren't heros, they are victims.

They are both victims and heroes. In a word: martyrs

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Specifically sunflower seeds, the national flower of Ukraine.

raminasi posted:

Isn't a "cruise ballistic missile" a contradiction in terms? I'm not disputing that poo poo's blowing up but maybe that particular tweet isn't the best confirmation.

Regardless of the type of missile, Kyiv is being bombarded, or air defense systems are doing their thing.
https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1497034017895600128
https://twitter.com/mrsorokaa/status/1497034411623149568
https://twitter.com/nolanwpeterson/status/1497034286901473284
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497040187565568006

ummel fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 25, 2022

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It may be that Russia has jailed more Russian protesters than have murdered Ukrainians today. I wonder if Russians are getting fed up?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikeC posted:

Sorry its like way more than 20km. Apparently, I can't read a scale on a map. Just google mapping but it's more like 60 to 70 where Konotop is an offshoot along E101

I see what you meant. Then we're looking at something like

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hannibal Rex posted:

(CW: War) Ukraine v Russia: peer to peer opponents

I would say from what we are seeing from just one day, this is a near peer conflict. This is not, for example, the American invasion of Iraq.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm watching Kyiv cams and they're pretty quiet, I'm even hearing birds singing. Am I on the wrong video?

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

I'm watching Kyiv cams and they're pretty quiet, I'm even hearing birds singing. Am I on the wrong video?

You appear to be watching the final scene of Blackadder Goes Forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Welcome to the 21st century, where we watch wars on webcams.