Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

quantumfoam posted:

Watts is deeply into writing misery fiction and believing that he's the smartest person in the world, nay, the solar star system..

My favorite thing about Peter Watts is him IRL constantly suffering the consequences of his actions while thinking he's the smartest person in the solar star system.

What the gently caress he didn’t deserve flesh eating parasites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Galapagos is "what if intelligence is an evolutionary dead end?" but written as a comedy

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Qwertycoatl posted:

Galapagos is "what if intelligence is an evolutionary dead end?" but written as a comedy
Yeah, it's good. It's not Vonnegut's best but it is definitely one of the ones that more keenly makes me feel like he was definitely a SF writer and he's just popular enough that we shrug and call it fiction rather than genre.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
peter Watts is one of those guys who writes what I call sad books about killing yourself, which is my mental genre tag for all kinds of sad depressing books but especially ones that are sad because the author or the main character's internal monologue is. anyway blindsight and echopraxia were depressing and the horror was nice but the ideas about consciousness I found to be stupid.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

quantumfoam posted:

Watts is deeply into writing misery fiction and believing that he's the smartest person in the world, nay, the solar star system..

My favorite thing about Peter Watts is him IRL constantly suffering the consequences of his actions while thinking he's the smartest person in the solar star system.

Do you really think someone deserves to be beaten by border patrol agents because you don't like his fiction? That's weird.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

quantumfoam posted:

this is unbelievably inappropriate and i can't imagine what would make you think this was a good idea to post

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Keaton's attempt to deliberately and rationally create social mannerisms and relationships feels like a fairly sensitive portrayal of autism (I'm in the middle of a referral for potential autism diagnosis, and Keaton's mindset in those moments really struck a chord with me) but I'm not sure how I reconcile that with the vampire stuff and everybody dunking in Keaton when he takes it too far.

Siri Keaton is an extremely uncannily fascinatingly accurate portrayal of Schizoid Personality Disorder to such an extent that it led to me realizing and getting diagnosed (to no one's surprise, says the forum.)

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

moonmazed posted:

this is unbelievably inappropriate and i can't imagine what would make you think this was a good idea to post

I was talking about his<Peter Watts> tangles with the US Customs service; something about them as an institution and their rules pisses him off badly and stupid poo poo like him getting banned from entering the USA happens. flesh-eating parasites & Watts never entered my mind, because what the gently caress, no one deserves that. that is loving terrible.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
stop digging

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser Volume One: Swords and Deviltry, Swords Against Death, and Swords in the Mist by Fritz Leiber - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0741VJC4D/

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

quantumfoam posted:

I was talking about his<Peter Watts> tangles with the US Customs service; something about them as an institution and their rules pisses him off badly and stupid poo poo like him getting banned from entering the USA happens. flesh-eating parasites & Watts never entered my mind, because what the gently caress, no one deserves that. that is loving terrible.

He got biopsied for cancer and the test came back negative but the biopsy punch gave him necrotizing fasciitis. This is where I learned that the diagnostic test is "they draw a circle around the wound, wait a few minutes, and if the circle's been eaten, it's necrotizing fasciitis."

That said, what you're saying is funny is:

He gets out of his car and asks what's going on. The cop tells him to get back in the car. He asks what's going on again. The cops punch him in the face, pepper spray him, kick him while he's down, cuff him, strip him, throw him into a holding cell, then charge him with assault a federal officer while denying him access to a lawyer. They take his computer and notebook and throw him back over the Canadian border, on foot, in the middle of the night.

They threaten him with two years in jail and settle for banning him from the continental US.

How is that funny? That's cop poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a kind of comfortable guy who really does think if you're white the cops leave you alone so if you have any kind of negative interaction you must have 'deserved' it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Just to quote the wikipedia article

quote:

In December 2009, Watts was detained at the Canada–United States border by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to perform a reportedly random search of the rental vehicle he was driving. Watts is alleged to have assaulted a CBP Officer and was turned over to local authorities to face charges. According to an officer, the authorities used pepper spray to subdue Watts after Watts became aggressive toward officers.[14] According to Watts, he was assaulted, punched in the face, pepper-sprayed, and thrown in jail for the night.[15] The officer later admitted in court that he had punched Watts. A jury found Watts guilty of obstructing a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer. He faced a maximum sentence of 2 years in prison. Watts blogged about his sentence saying that because of how the law was written, his asking, "What is the problem?", was enough to convict him of non-compliance.[16] In April 2010, he was given a suspended sentence and a fine.[17] However, due to immigration laws,[18] Watts' felony conviction prevents him from re-entering the United States.[19]

Even if we assume everything CBP stated was true and everything Watts stated was false . .. the CBP officer admitted "punching" Watts on the record, and there's no legitimate reason for a cop to throw a punch, period (approved restraint holds maybe, punches no).

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

moonmazed posted:

He's quantumfoam.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

quantumfoam posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Some real irony here. Very nice.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just to quote the wikipedia article

Even if we assume everything CBP stated was true and everything Watts stated was false . .. the CBP officer admitted "punching" Watts on the record, and there's no legitimate reason for a cop to throw a punch, period (approved restraint holds maybe, punches no).

Yeah but the US doesn't have police, it has random bandit clans which are tolerated by local government in return for occasionally putting down protests

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sax Solo posted:

Reading Blindsight based on name dropping in the previous page, then unrelatedly someone mentions it on twitter the same day, and so it's frequency illusion/ kismet.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Red Knight (Traitor Son #1) by Miles Cameron - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZFPUL2/

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The first Serpentwar Saga book is also on sale, I'm phone posting and can't get the link embed to work. It's Shadows of a Dark Queen, $3

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

This is hilarious. The art style is a good fit for the cartoonish ideas about evopsych IMHO. Like later on that vampire is definitely going to use the "human faces scream in terror" wikipedia plugin because he's a highly evolved predator and that's what his genes enjoy.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

MockingQuantum posted:

The first Serpentwar Saga book is also on sale, I'm phone posting and can't get the link embed to work. It's Shadows of a Dark Queen, $3

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC13QI/ for those interested and lazy

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Well thread, in the complete opposite direction, any uplifting or optimistic or fun Sci-fi to recommend, given the state of everything?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Well thread, in the complete opposite direction, any uplifting or optimistic or fun Sci-fi to recommend, given the state of everything?

Becky Chambers Wayfarer books are really good for this. The Vorkosigian Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold is also solid.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Seconding wayfarer books and some but not all the Vorkosigan novels. 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson I think is ultimately uplifting and optimistic. Excession? Children of Time…?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

buffalo all day posted:

Seconding wayfarer books and some but not all the Vorkosigan novels. 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson I think is ultimately uplifting and optimistic. Excession? Children of Time…?

How much does knowing that it ends with something along the lines of alien spiders genetically modify humans to be more empathetic potentially affect enjoyment of Children of Time?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How much does knowing that it ends with something along the lines of alien spiders genetically modify humans to be more empathetic potentially affect enjoyment of Children of Time?

It will probably allow you to enjoy it more if you are looking for something reassuring…it’s not like a big twist or anything.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I have a like/ehh relationship with Adrian Tchaikovskys books but I really enjoyed his Cage of Souls, which fits well into this category (I said it was 'Dying Earth by way of Heart of Darkness' when I first read it)

Oops; This is a single quid in the uk right now if you fancy a dabble

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Cage-Souls-Adrian-Tchaikovsky-ebook/dp/B07DPRW17S/

There may be similar bargains on other Amazons

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

buffalo all day posted:

It will probably allow you to enjoy it more if you are looking for something reassuring…it’s not like a big twist or anything.

Cool, thanks, I kind of was avoiding it because I saw that spoiler in the wild.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It's more fantasy but with some Sci-Fi elements but I'd recommend something I'm currently rereading - the Coramonde duology. Yes, duology. Instead of 3 or 5 and 10+ massive tomes, it's a two book series, The Doomfarers of Coramonde followed by The Starfollwers of Coramonde. Both are by Brian Daley who wrote these before writing the original Han Solo trilogy.

So yeah, these books are very much blasts from the past. Doomfarers was published in 1977 with Starfollowers coming out in 1979.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Danhenge posted:

Watts thinks self-awareness is an evolutionary side-effect that's also kind of a dead end. One that's costly in terms of resources and not as useful as people tend to think. The vampire thing is definitely mixed up with that idea.

Quorum posted:

I kinda hate it, personally, because it flies really close to the sun of "autism is basically psychopathy" or "autistic people don't have empathy," both of which are incredibly wrong and thoroughly discredited. I also walked away from Blindsight with a bad taste in my mouth. Yeah, the question of "what purpose does consciousness actually serve" is a cool one, but the novel felt like it came down on the side of "no purpose and it's actually bad" with a lot more certainty than warranted. But I might have missed something!

Ceebees posted:

No, that's pretty much Watt's expressed personal philosophy.

General Battuta posted:

I don't agree with Blindsight's take on consciousness

Danhenge posted:

He doesn't enjoy his conclusions, merely believes they are correct.

quantumfoam posted:

One thing that I loving hate, and which has become so, so depressingly common, is to assume that anything expressed in a work of fiction, even fantastical fiction, is the 100% solid personal opinion of the author and should be judged accordingly. There's no reason to think that Peter Watts believes that consciousness is an evolutionary dead end, despite it being believed by characters (or true in the setting!) in a book of his, is what I would say if I knew nothing about it. Except that I can say with near-certainty that it isn't what he believes, because the copy of Blindsight I read included an author's not at the end where he explicitly says he does not believe consciousness holds no evolutionary advantage, even though it's true in the book. He went to the effort, which should not be necessary, of saying "JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS BELIEVED OR TRUE IN THE BOOK DOESN'T MEAN IT'S A BELIEF OR POSITION I ADVOCATE IN REAL LIFE," and it STILL wasn't enough.

The fuckin' irony of a group of people being all "wow, can't stand this guy who thinks he's so smart and is wrong about things" while jumping to stupid conclusions and being much more explicitly and provably wrong about poo poo

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

John Lee posted:

The fuckin' irony of a group of people being all "wow, can't stand this guy who thinks he's so smart and is wrong about things" while jumping to stupid conclusions and being much more explicitly and provably wrong about poo poo

I specifically said I didn't enjoy the book, not the human being who wrote it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

John Lee posted:

One thing that I loving hate, and which has become so, so depressingly common, is to assume that anything expressed in a work of fiction, even fantastical fiction, is the 100% solid personal opinion of the author and should be judged accordingly. There's no reason to think that Peter Watts believes that consciousness is an evolutionary dead end, despite it being believed by characters (or true in the setting!) in a book of his, is what I would say if I knew nothing about it. Except that I can say with near-certainty that it isn't what he believes, because the copy of Blindsight I read included an author's not at the end where he explicitly says he does not believe consciousness holds no evolutionary advantage, even though it's true in the book. He went to the effort, which should not be necessary, of saying "JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS BELIEVED OR TRUE IN THE BOOK DOESN'T MEAN IT'S A BELIEF OR POSITION I ADVOCATE IN REAL LIFE," and it STILL wasn't enough.

I talk to Watts semi regularly, we are on good terms and admire each others' writing.

I'm glad you want to stick up for him :shobon:

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

John Lee posted:

Well, I happen to quite like Watts, and when somebody provides citations it's usually in favor of an argument they believe in. Ironic that you would perform such an ungenerous reading of my posts.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

John Lee posted:

Its weird you went to the trouble of lumping together a bunch of different people few if any holding the views you attribute to them. Watts is definitely exploring the implications of these concepts even if he's not precisely an advocate for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4uwaw_5Q3I&ab_channel=RatioBG

There's a pretty big difference between juvenile "the author must be bad because his character is bad" and critically responding to the ideas in an important book about human consciousness. Also there's no need to forge ahead with a bad faith interpretation of using "Watts" as shorthand for "what Watts wrote".

Copernic fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 25, 2022

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i agree that consciousness is a bad idea and i am treating it with alcohol

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

In the author's notes at the back of Blindsight, Watts explicitly says that the consciousness stuff is a thought experiment.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Alright, I'm not going to respond to everything just now because I'm watching a movie and have had a pretty poo poo day, lost a month's money due to electronics breaking, etc., but some people made some good points and just because I'm not responding doesn't mean I didn't hear

Danhenge posted:

Well, I happen to quite like Watts, and when somebody provides citations it's usually in favor of an argument they believe in. Ironic that you would perform such an ungenerous reading of my posts.

An ungenerous reading of your posts? You said

Danhenge posted:

Watts thinks self-awareness is an evolutionary side-effect that's also kind of a dead end.

when he fuckin' doesn't and explicitly said that. And the only reason you would believe that he does is because you read a book he wrote and thought "drat, this author must believe this"

which is the specific thing that boils my balls here

General Battuta posted:

I talk to Watts semi regularly, we are on good terms and admire each others' writing.

I'm glad you want to stick up for him :shobon:

Thanks, but I'm not sticking up for him, I don't know poo poo about him! I'm just pissed at the extremely common conflation of a character's beliefs and an author's beliefs, and normally I keep my trap shut because I have no proof, but in this particular instance I happen to know that the author specifically pointed out the opposite.

Copernic posted:

Watts is definitely exploring the implications of these concepts even if he's not precisely an advocate for them.

Agreed, and I have no problem with anybody expressing that

Copernic posted:

there's no need to forge ahead with a bad faith interpretation of using "Watts" as shorthand for "what Watts wrote".

It's not really a bad faith interpretation if people are saying "Watts believes" or "Watts comes to the conclusion," which is pretty clear

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

John Lee posted:

Alright, I'm not going to respond to everything just now because I'm watching a movie and have had a pretty poo poo day, lost a month's money due to electronics breaking, etc., but some people made some good points and just because I'm not responding doesn't mean I didn't hear

An ungenerous reading of your posts? You said

when he fuckin' doesn't and explicitly said that. And the only reason you would believe that he does is because you read a book he wrote and thought "drat, this author must believe this"

which is the specific thing that boils my balls here

Thanks, but I'm not sticking up for him, I don't know poo poo about him! I'm just pissed at the extremely common conflation of a character's beliefs and an author's beliefs, and normally I keep my trap shut because I have no proof, but in this particular instance I happen to know that the author specifically pointed out the opposite.

Agreed, and I have no problem with anybody expressing that

It's not really a bad faith interpretation if people are saying "Watts believes" or "Watts comes to the conclusion," which is pretty clear

someone has a bad case of consciousness. have you started treatment yet

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Nomnom Cookie posted:

someone has a bad case of consciousness. have you started treatment yet

my sleep is so bad I'm awake for 8-12 hours a day, does that count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY