Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Whatever it was it was loving huge

The main thing could be smaller than it looks, if its really bright - phone cameras would simply blow out the contour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The main thing could be smaller than it looks, if its really bright - phone cameras would simply blow out the contour.

It had a lot of fuel, that's all we really know.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1497043832168493067?s=20&t=RAOhvs6Ynqj2apR3trNv6A

Aircraft might be the thing

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Sounds like a jet

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1497042959186870277

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

TulliusCicero posted:

Whatever it was it was loving huge

Another angle from a repost acocunt.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497041898980225030
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497044072665694210

and

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1497042194662051843

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its gotta be an aircraft. Way to big and slow for a missile.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Debris hit an apartment block

Looks way too big to be a missile, but also perspective can lie

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1497041898409795585?s=20&t=e0UQWGf39mJjJMg153VEfA

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Play posted:

All that aside though, it's inarguable that in its current configuration, the west wants the entire globe to be under a democratic, capitalist system. And that's a big source of the outrage around this invasion.

Holy loving poo poo this is really the future. After this poo poo America will be able to do anything and just point at this.
This is going to clean the slate completely. Every atrocity is now back on the table and will be defended no problem.
America gets an Iraq and a Vietnam now, as a treat.
"The west" as much as it exist is completely antithetical to democracy. It only cares about spreading its power using so called "free markets". These are a bunch of ghouls jockeying over power, making what they believe are the best moves on the map.
One monster attacking another with a bunch of poor innocent people eating poo poo in the middle.

You are a clown rear end motherfucker for typing that post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
CNN is saying that the Ukrainian minister said the big explosion in the sky was a Russian missile they shot down.

I didn't even know Ukrainian AA had that ability.

Charliegrs fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 25, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1497042959186870277?s=21

I cannot confirm authenticity.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alternative theory is also being floated:

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1497038794796765192

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Play posted:

But the fact remains that the overall history of the west is the spreading of democracy across the globe. And even with those exceptions, that is still true of the US. I assume you are aware of all the countries the US DID in fact install democracy in, it's a large number. An even larger number if you consider countries that didn't have democracy installed but instead guided and encouraged to do so.

The West's record on spreading democracy is actually really, really bad. A lot of the "democracies" that have been installed were really right-wing dictatorships that had the veneer of democratic institutions but were really just anti-communist.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Inner Light posted:

For those who don't follow nerdy flight stuff, it's been interesting to track USAF Global Hawks. They used to fly GPS tracks very close to the Russian border, today they are interested in the water:

Something else I found interesting looking at this, is the two USAF Strato tankers that have been running loops all day near the western ukraine border. What are they refueling? NATO patrols along the border?

Theres been 2-3 in the air all day, either over Romania or Poland.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah those are jet engines. They hit either a transport plane or a fighter.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Charliegrs posted:

CNN is saying that the Ukrainian monster said the big explosion in the sky was a Russian missile they shot down.

I didn't even know Ukrainian AA had that ability.

Starting to get the distinct impression that despite being in Putin's plans for months/years the Russian military was really not prepared for a full-scale invasion past their occupied territories. Or maybe Putin and his generals had only planned to capture that land and something in his brain broke in the days leading up to the war?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Anybody know what this is? As has been posted, it probably came off the downed object. Unfortunately some damage on the apartment building it fell on. Hopefully no injuries on the ground, but definitely people displaced from their homes.

Gros Tarla posted:

Something else I found interesting looking at this, is the two USAF Strato tankers that have been running loops all day near the western ukraine border. What are they refueling? NATO patrols along the border?

Theres been 2-3 in the air all day, either over Romania or Poland.

Yeah, could be anything right? I dunno why the tankers have their transponders on and other stuff doesn't, but obviously what they are refueling has transponders off.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Anybody know what this is? As has been posted, it came off the downed object. Unfortunately some damage on the apartment building it fell on. Hopefully no injuries on the ground, but definitely people displaced from their homes.

Brown Moses could probably identify that in 5 minutes

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

From this angle I think it's definitely an aircraft of some kind — it looks like there's a trail of flares behind the debris cloud, which obviously didn't work.

The real question is what kind of aircraft it was, and what it was doing over Kyiv. Maybe trying to drop a precision munition?

If nothing else though, pretty solid evidence that Russia clearly didn't knock out all of Ukraine's air defenses. Unless it's actually a Ukrainian fighter that got smacked by a long-range missile

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

We can't tell if the thing that's being hit is the thing that made noise, imo.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Inner Light posted:

For those who don't follow nerdy flight stuff, it's been interesting to track USAF Global Hawks. They used to fly GPS tracks very close to the Russian border, today they are interested in the water:

You can also see two KC-135's over Poland, and another over Romania. There was a number of blocked ID Illyushin that departed from Lviv and went to Poland, one of them was holding over Lublin for some time. Didn't see where the others went.
A C-130 Globe Master has just left Warsaw.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Transport plane? (Are they really stupid enough to do another air drop attempt in enemy territory?)

That's been the question this whole folly.

This is Putin's show. He was willing to tell bald-faced lies to the world. He was willing to bet and lose on a risky operation securing the airport to take Kyiv overnight.

24 hours in, and Kyiv is being moved into despite stronger than expected resilience in less fortified areas.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Fuuuuck I feel for the people of Ukraine. My Russian history professor was Ukrainian, wacky guy. I should email him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Youth Decay posted:

Starting to get the distinct impression that despite being in Putin's plans for months/years the Russian military was really not prepared for a full-scale invasion past their occupied territories. Or maybe Putin and his generals had only planned to capture that land and something in his brain broke in the days leading up to the war?

This tracks with the idea that Russia really did expect negotiations to work and actually invading was Plan B.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Youth Decay posted:

I think it’s more that Putin and his stooges aren’t as clinical with their strikes as the USA has shown to be in its previous wars. They’re bleeding, but the pressure on the Ukrainian defences must be immense as well.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

[timg]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMaR09yX0AERcON?format=jpg&name=large[./timg]

Anybody know what this is? As has been posted, it probably came off the downed object. Unfortunately some damage on the apartment building it fell on. Hopefully no injuries on the ground, but definitely people displaced from their homes.

The building it fell on, reportedly. Again, a repost account so might not be accurate, but the account has been doing pretty well.
(edit- likely from an earlier airstrike)
[url]https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497044503018057761[./url]

ummel fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 25, 2022

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Inner Light posted:

Yeah, could be anything right? I dunno why the tankers have their transponders on and other stuff doesn't, but obviously what they are refueling has transponders off.

My guess would be they're running transponders on to keep themselves visible to civilian traffic as everything is concentrating through there now the Ukrainian airspace and surrounding areas is a no go.

I did briefly see someone pop up on Flighttracker with a callsign of Viper41. Icon was of a 737 sized jet, but 737's arent doing 1000kph...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ummel posted:

The building it fell on, reportedly. Again, a repost account so might not be accurate, but the account has been doing pretty well.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497044503018057761

I've seen this video reported as one of the buildings hit by the earlier airstrike.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Everyone on CNN is surprised that Ukraine would have Anti-Missile Defense systems.

I suspect so was Putin.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

They are going to run out of materiel soon, wouldn't you think? And when we start talking about resupplying them it's really going to start feeling like the early 60's.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the holy poopacy posted:

This tracks with the idea that Russia really did expect negotiations to work and actually invading was Plan B.

Nah, Putin had to have known none of his demands were non starters, and those were really the only things he had. The invasion was always the plan.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

I think it’s more that Putin and his stooges aren’t as clinical with their strikes as the USA has shown to be in its previous wars. They’re bleeding, but the pressure on the Ukrainian defences must be immense as well.

Ukraine is a far harder opponent than Iraq ever was. Its a modern military with local support of its governent

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

so is trying to capture kyiv now a risky gamble or was the thread's assessment that russia wasn't doing as well as it thought it would on day 1 wrong

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/nolanwpeterson/status/1497045942565883905?s=20&t=RAOhvs6Ynqj2apR3trNv6A

My friends and family :(

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Comstar posted:

Everyone on CNN is surprised that Ukraine would have Anti-Missile Defense systems.

I suspect so was Putin.

Putin knew this would cost him a lot of Russian lives, he simply doesn't care.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Could be a bomber aircraft like a Blackjack or Backfire. They were flying some Tupolev Bears in the morning.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

the popes toes posted:

They are going to run out of materiel soon, wouldn't you think? And when we start talking about resupplying them it's really going to start feeling like the early 60's.

Huh? We've been giving supplies to Ukraine this whole time though

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Play posted:

I assume you are aware of all the countries the US DID in fact install democracy in, it's a large number.

Maybe this discussion needs to go elsewhere, but like, where did the US install democracy? Maybe Germany and Japan? Most of the time it was dictators who got overthrown and then the people themselves decided on democracy.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I want to guess that, but Ukrainian air defences don't seem to be particularly good, and Russian bombers can all be armed with missiles that would hit Kyiv from Russia's airspace. I'm perplexed as to what this could realistically be.

Strategic bomber or one of the larger transports

notably russia has seemed hesitant to use much of their higher tech weaponry, so just because they can fit them with long range guided stuff doesn't mean that they will in all cases.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Huh? We've been giving supplies to Ukraine this whole time though

yeah, but it seems like an important diplomatic difference between supplying for deterrence and supplying during hostilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

so is trying to capture kyiv now a risky gamble or was the thread's assessment that russia wasn't doing as well as it thought it would on day 1 wrong

It's been like 24 hours since the invasion began. We don't know what the Russian goal is, we don't know what's happening on the ground really, etc etc. No one knows.