Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

William Bear posted:

The Ecumenical Patriarch spoke with the Metropolitan of Ukraine today.

Via Google Translate:

https://www.pomisna.info/uk/vsi-novyny/vselenskyj-patriarh-varfolomij-zasudyv-nesprovokovane-vtorgnennya-rosiyi-v-ukrayinu/

The Russian Orthodox Church, as far as I can tell, has not commented on the invasion so far.

I'm pretty ignorant of Eastern Orthodoxy, do the Ecumenial Patriarch's words mean anything in any official or unofficial capacity to believers in other Orthodox churches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Kaddish posted:

It's been like 24 hours since the invasion began. We don't know what the Russian goal is, we don't know what's happening on the ground really, etc etc. No one knows.

Literally fog of war

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, Putin had to have known none of his demands were non starters, and those were really the only things he had. The invasion was always the plan.

Even this plan seems weirdly haphazard is the thing. Like, did he think all he had to do was move troops in and they'd all be greeted as liberators or something?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I want to guess that, but Ukrainian air defences don't seem to be particularly good, and Russian bombers can all be armed with missiles that would hit Kyiv from Russia's airspace. I'm perplexed as to what this could realistically be.

Russia may not have wanted to waste expensive stand-off weapons if they thought Ukrainian AA was all wiped out. It's possible someone assumed that a conventional bombing run would work fine.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

quarantinethepast posted:

Maybe this discussion needs to go elsewhere, but like, where did the US install democracy? Maybe Germany and Japan? Most of the time it was dictators who got overthrown and then the people themselves decided on democracy.

We're still riding on those coattails yes, though they were pretty good ones - after they were decimated.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Strategic bomber or one of the larger transports

notably russia has seemed hesitant to use much of their higher tech weaponry, so just because they can fit them with long range guided stuff doesn't mean that they will in all cases.

I'll just go to bed choosing to believe you and Commie that it's a transport. No one in Russian army should be stupid enough to fly a stratbomber that low.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I was about to reply that there's no way in hell Russia would fly strategic bombers like TU95s that low but then I remembered that I'm not a military expert so who the hell knows.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Even this plan seems weirdly haphazard is the thing. Like, did he think all he had to do was move troops in and they'd all be greeted as liberators or something?

Multiple pieces of this seem haphazard. Like, why the gently caress did they just send what appears to be one large jet through the middle of Kiev, unguarded?

Makes me feel like there could be a significant plan looming that no one has figured out yet, not Clancy posting, it's just weird

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

He doesn’t think Ukrainian people are real and has personally pleaded with Ukrainian soldiers to lay down their arms and join the march on Kyiv so yes probably

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

so is trying to capture kyiv now a risky gamble or was the thread's assessment that russia wasn't doing as well as it thought it would on day 1 wrong

Kiev is not far at all from the Belorussian border. Even if they aren't doing as well as they hope, I would be extremely surprised if the Russians don't at least encircle the city within the week. Falling within 2-3 days still remains very plausible.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Pakled posted:

I'm pretty ignorant of Eastern Orthodoxy, do the Ecumenial Patriarch's words mean anything in any official or unofficial capacity to believers in other Orthodox churches?

Yes, except for the Moscow Patriarchate, which severed ties in 2018 because...well... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Moscow%E2%80%93Constantinople_schism

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Boris Galerkin posted:

1. Why are Turkish drones bombing Russian tanks? Someone posted a tweet some pages back. I guess the question is more along the lines of (if true) why is Turkey directly intervening when the rest of the world won’t?

2. As per the tweet above with the British volunteer. Uhh, what exactly is the legality of a non-citizen of a country to pick up a rifle and start shooting/helping the country they’re in?

Turkey sold a bunch of drones to Ukraine, possibly after their spectacular tech demo where Azerbaijan summarily dunked on the entire Armenian military in glorious top-down HD

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Given the crazy narratives of his last 2 speeches, I genuinely believe this may have been the case.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I've seen this video reported as one of the buildings hit by the earlier airstrike.

Would that make it the first civilian building that Russia has attacked? I think all reported targets so far were military.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, Putin had to have known none of his demands were non starters, and those were really the only things he had. The invasion was always the plan.

Really? cuz Zelensky's statement a few hours ago was asking pretty pretty please if they could go back to that now that it's been shown that NATO never actually had his back.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

CNN is saying that the Ukrainian minister said the big explosion in the sky was a Russian missile they shot down.

I didn't even know Ukrainian AA had that ability.

They had a handful of Russian S-300 and Tor systems which you'd think would have been priority #1 for Russia to knock out but if they're shooting down missiles then at least some must still be active.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

the holy poopacy posted:

Really? cuz Zelensky's statement a few hours ago was asking pretty pretty please if they could go back to that now that it's been shown that NATO never actually had his back.

Source? The last thing I saw was Putin asking for unconditional surrender.

Also: Why would Zelensky think NATO had his back? He always knew they didn't because Ukraine is not a member of NATO.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 25, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Pakled posted:

There are many patriarchs in eastern orthodoxy. The only one that matters re: Russia is the patriarch of Moscow.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
You can hide AA platforms, they arent that big.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

the holy poopacy posted:

No doubt Zelenskyy wants greater commitment from NATO, but also NATO has never promised him more than he's getting.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Moscow's intelligence seems completely off throughout this whole thing, their material seems to be uhhhh lacking if that transport plane had it's own tail fall off in Russian airspace, the strategic/ tactical calls are all over the place...

...Does Russia JUST have trollfarms now? Did they sell all their weapons or something and purge their experienced soldiers? How bad off financially is the average Russian?

...Is a covid outbreak amongst Russian forces playing a factor here? I heard they were getting kinda ravaged there.

This is NOT the Russian military I was expecting. I'm honestly kinda baffled

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 25, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

CommieGIR posted:

Source? The last thing I saw was Putin asking for unconditional surrender.

Also: Why would Zelensky think NATO had his back? He always knew they didn't because Ukraine is not a member of NATO.

The Holy Poopacy was talking about this:

I feel like people have been reading these comments differently.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Despera posted:

You can hide AA platforms, they arent that big.

and you can move them

then hide them again

and repeat that process!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SUNKOS posted:

Would that make it the first civilian building that Russia has attacked? I think all reported targets so far were military.

No, we've seen visual evidence of struck civilian buildings like ~18 hours ago. Russian precision fire is like American food portions.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Pakled posted:

The Ecumenical Patriarch [of Constantinople] isn't like the Pope, who is head of the entire religious hierarchy of his church. The EP is "first among equals" of the patriarchs and metropolitans of the various autocephalous Orthodox Churches.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497049877490147328

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Inner Light posted:

Multiple pieces of this seem haphazard. Like, why the gently caress did they just send what appears to be one large jet through the middle of Kiev, unguarded?

Makes me feel like there could be a significant plan looming that no one has figured out yet, not Clancy posting, it's just weird

So far I haven't seen anything that contradicts the "Putin has been huffing his own farts for so long he thinks they smell like perfume" theory.

When you live for multiple decades in an environment where nobody ever wants to tell you you're wrong for any reason, ever, you get stupid and overconfident and make a lot of stupid mistakes. It seems more and more like Putin doesn't have a plan beyond "We'll be greeted as liberators!" type overconfident stupidity.

Of course, he'll still almost certainly win in the short term.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pakled posted:

He mostly carries moral authority. He's the first-among-equals for the patriarchs, but not analogous to the Pope for Catholics, for example. And yeah, unfortunately the ROC is currently in schism with the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh poo poo, European sanctions :siren: we're sanctioning oil :siren:

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497021840572796928

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497025749961908226

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

No. They hit an apartment building by accident yesterday... and right next to hospital today.

https://twitter.com/amnesty/status/1496873598153216005?cxt=HHwWisCqueqm-8UpAAAA

(Also one can argue about stuff like offices of the defense manufacturer).

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy poo poo that's actually huge if true

I never thought the EU would sanction oil in a million years

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Inner Light posted:

Classics drop: You send in the empty overlords first to soak turret fire, then have your second wave drop the lurkers and zerglings.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

The Holy Poopacy was talking about this:

I feel like people have been reading these comments differently.

Yeah this is different than what he thought Zelensky was saying.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Huh. I guess the air defenses weren't leveled as we thought this morning

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Moscow's intelligence seems completely off throughout this whole thing, their material seems to be uhhhh lacking if that transport plane had it's own tail fall off in Russian airspace, the strategic/ tactical calls are all over the place...

...Does Russia JUST have trollfarms now? Did they sell all their weapons or something and purge their experienced soldiers? How bad off fininancially is the average Russian?

...Is a covid outbreak amongst Russian forces playing a factor here? I heard they were getting kinda ravaged there.

Maybe Ukraine has double agents that have been feeding the GRU misinformation?

Maybe the reason Putin is shuffling around the same units like the 31st VDV from Rostov to Kazakhstan and back to Ukraine is because all his troops are really tied up trying to put down domestic issues?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:nms: https://t.me/KyivIndependent_official/102

Residential building damage, very close hit it seems

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Am I missing something with this? It seems like they're only sanctioning some of the technology used to refine oil, and maybe only new technology that would be better than the stuff Russia already possesses. It doesn't seem like a direct sanction on the sale of oil itself.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo that's actually huge if true

I never thought the EU would sanction oil in a million years

surf rock posted:

Am I missing something with this? It seems like they're only sanctioning some of the technology used to refine oil, and maybe only new technology that would be better than the stuff Russia already possesses. It doesn't seem like a direct sanction on the sale of oil itself.

Her tweets undersell it:

quote:

Summit conclusions published at the start of the meeting said “these sanctions cover the financial sector, the energy and transport sectors, dual-use goods as well as export and export financing, visa policy,” as well as adding more Russian individuals to an EU travel ban and asset freeze list.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Where are you seeing oil in there versus parts for refineries? Is it in one of the videos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
CNN is reporting that flaming mass was a Ukrainian Su27 that was shot down by a Russian SAM.