Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Isn't it sanctioning refineries, not oil itself? That's what Biden announced earlier today for US sanctions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo that's actually huge if true

I never thought the EU would sanction oil in a million years

They didn't 'sanction oil'. They sanctioned parts/materials for Russia to upgrade their oil infrastructure.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
gently caress. CNN is now saying that the shoot down was a Ukrainian aircraft that was shot down by a Russian SAM.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
CNN just said a Deputy Minster told the reportor it was a Ukrainian Su-27 that was shot down by a Russian SAM.

I wouldn't think they'd be in range for that.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Maybe a dumb question, but honestly why doesn’t the EU just straight up sanction oil? Don’t Norway and/or other Scandinavian countries have quite a bit of it that they could massively profit from without Russia in the equation? Or is that false info that I am wrong about?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Gin_Rummy posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but honestly why doesn’t the EU just straight up sanction oil? Don’t Norway and/or other Scandinavian countries have quite a bit of it that they could massively profit from without Russia in the equation? Or is that false info that I am wrong about?

Russia has natural gas, actually, which it turns out a shitload of central Europe runs on.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

There's another tweet, too:

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497026478718218241

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1497051163920936983

Fog of war continues to be insane

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah this is different than what he thought Zelensky was saying.

Zelensky is specifically saying that in exchange for a ceasefire he is willing to talk to Russia about "neutral status", meaning a commitment to stay out of NATO, which was Russia's main diplomatic objective in the talks leading up to the war.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sunflower Lady transcript. A little enlightening because we have the same "exercises" excuses again...

https://twitter.com/FutureBoy/status/1496999905839050757?s=20&t=-UGDc1SaqsWXJcVGTpeqsQ

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Gin_Rummy posted:

because they're buying the oil

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Young Freud posted:

Maybe Ukraine has double agents that have been feeding the GRU misinformation?

Maybe the reason Putin is shuffling around the same units like the 31st VDV from Rostov to Kazakhstan and back to Ukraine is because all his troops are really tied up trying to put down domestic issues?

Thiis whole thing seems just... utterly chaotic and slapped together

The main objective seems to be Kyiv but holy poo poo you are going to bumrush a heavily fortified and vast city with massive tunnels, while you bypass the rest of the country's armed forces and expect them not to retaliate

This isn't a video game, Putin you moron

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Russia has natural gas, actually, which it turns out a shitload of central Europe runs on.

Ah yes, that makes a lot more sense.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kaddish posted:

They didn't 'sanction oil'. They sanctioned parts/materials for Russia to upgrade their oil infrastructure.

We'll get the full details in the afternoon, but the admittedly ambiguous reporting implies a broader effect on the energy sector.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SourKraut posted:

Eh... I think the US' history of "installing" democracies is actually pretty bad to be honest. There have been far more failures than successful stories.

Well democracy didn't spread across the globe by magic. Of course there have been failures but even in that case, isn't the effort laudable? The only negative things were the overall willingness to work with, favor, and even install undemocractic regimes in certain situations, where democracy the goal I think it was the right goal.

The real problem isn't spreading democracy, it's spreading unrestricted capitalism and the exploitation thereof.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh poo poo, European sanctions :siren: we're sanctioning oil :siren:

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497021840572796928

I'd hoped they'd be stronger, still better than doing nothing. Hopefully even more will come.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo that's actually huge if true

I never thought the EU would sanction oil in a million years

It’s just the tech ban rephrased

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Comstar posted:

CNN just said a Deputy Minster told the reportor it was a Ukrainian Su-27 that was shot down by a Russian SAM.

RIP the ghost

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So Orthodox chat: surprisingly the Kyiv Metropolit for Moscow Patriarchate condemned the war and compared it to Cain.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gin_Rummy posted:

To a large extent it doesn't matter where the oil comes from. It's all part of the global supply pool that everyone taps into. Taking Russian oil out of it just makes the pool smaller, which then drives up the price.

Conversely, if someone else is willing to buy Russian oil, it doesn't really matter if Europe isn't buying it. It still gets sold and Russia pockets the money regardless.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s just the tech ban rephrased

Yeah Europe, and to some extent the world, actually needs Russia's oil. Which shouldn't be the case

This is just blocking new equipment and technology that could be used in the oil sector or many other sectors, I think

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Comstar posted:

S-400 are in range from their Belarus deployment.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

...Is a covid outbreak amongst Russian forces playing a factor here? I heard they were getting kinda ravaged there.

I do vaguely remember reading a couple articles that mentioned Covid hitting Russia really hard. Who knows, though? They would never make numbers public. I did notice that while a lot of the world is dropping Covid measures many Russian protestors were wearing masks still which is pretty much the opposite of the West.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, we've seen visual evidence of struck civilian buildings like ~18 hours ago. Russian precision fire is like American food portions.

I guess it's inevitable during an invasion but it's still heartbreaking to see buildings hit. Reminds me of that video of a strike from earlier and the children crying in the background :(

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Didnt CNN just come out and say the downed aircraft was a Ukranian su-27? wierd, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

OddObserver posted:

So Orthodox chat: surprisingly the Kyiv Metropolit for Moscow Patriarchate condemned the war and compared it to Cain.

It's the war of the Rus Orthodoxy. It's been going on for a bit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Despera posted:

RIP the ghost

The Ghost is a MiG-29, so if it was indeed a Su-27s, there's still a good chance that it's Russian despite the defense minister saying otherwise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah those are jet engines. They hit either a transport plane or a fighter.

If they hit a plane there's a really high chance it's blue on blue. The Russians have a lot of standoff munitions for this kind of stuff and they wouldn't risk aircraft low and slow over the city.

edit: that's what I get for leaving a reply open

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Young Freud posted:

The Ghost is a MiG-29, so if it was indeed a Su-27s, there's still a good chance that it's Russian despite the defense minister saying otherwise.

Ukraine has those as well.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Despera posted:

RIP the ghost

I'd like to point out there's likely a whole vast air war that we aren't seeing because it's not occurring over the largest city in the country, and that it was probably really hot across at least 1/3 of the airspace of the entire country in the morning strikes

edit: modern air warfare is very, very long range business

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Al-Saqr posted:

Didnt CNN just come out and say the downed aircraft was a Ukranian su-27? wierd, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Cnn are affected by the fog of war just like everyone else, I dunno why folks think they are like the holy grail of information in this.

Hell they ran up to Russian infantry thinking they were Ukrainian

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kaddish posted:

It's the war of the Rus Orthodoxy. It's been going on for a bit.

Well, generally the Moscow Patriarchate part (the one under Moscow and not Constantinople) sides with... Moscow.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

I do vaguely remember reading a couple articles that mentioned Covid hitting Russia really hard. Who knows, though? They would never make numbers public. I did notice that while a lot of the world is dropping Covid measures many Russian protestors were wearing masks still which is pretty much the opposite of the West.

I guess it's inevitable during an invasion but it's still heartbreaking to see buildings hit. Reminds me of that video of a strike from earlier and the children crying in the background :(

If you’ve measured by excess deaths they’ve had a million people die from covid roughly the same as the US but with half the population. Even with undercounting they’re rn one of the only purple countries on NYTimes Covid map

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is wild, my Twitter feed has like 6 competing versions over what got shot by whom.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
If something is flying low and slow over kyiv its probably ukrainian

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The plane was shot down by the mighty transnistrian forces

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

so is trying to capture kyiv now a risky gamble or was the thread's assessment that russia wasn't doing as well as it thought it would on day 1 wrong

That was British intelligence's assessment.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The plane was shot down by the mighty transnistrian forces

Lech, nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Ukraine has those as well.

Yeah, four of them, compared to the 359 or so fielded by the Russians.

Fake edit: Wikipedia is telling me they have 32 of them, but I swore I heard that the Ukrainian Air Force only had 70 combat-worthy aircraft remaining.

Speaking of aircraft, NOTAM said that they'd release the airspace on May 18th. While Russia can easily change that date, what does everyone think the significance of that is? How long Putin expects the whole campaign to take?

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 25, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Inner Light posted:

Anybody know what this is? As has been posted, it probably came off the downed object. Unfortunately some damage on the apartment building it fell on. Hopefully no injuries on the ground, but definitely people displaced from their homes.

I have identified this object as a thing that goes 'boom'

The Real Amethyst posted:

You can also see two KC-135's over Poland, and another over Romania. There was a number of blocked ID Illyushin that departed from Lviv and went to Poland, one of them was holding over Lublin for some time. Didn't see where the others went.
A C-130 Globe Master has just left Warsaw.

This is interesting, thanks for the update.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

so is trying to capture kyiv now a risky gamble or was the thread's assessment that russia wasn't doing as well as it thought it would on day 1 wrong

My feeling is that Russia may not have done as well as they expected on day 1.... but it's day 1. Of likely many, many days assuming Kyiv doesn't fall completely tomorrow.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
As someone incredibly ignorant of diplomacy,

Whats's the ideal strength and outcome of sanctions? From what little I can summarize here, everyone is still economically connected in some way or another so not buying from Russia/selling things to them isn't a painless proposition? So the EU is trying to squeeze Russia as much as they can without it being severe enough to be politically costly at home? And then as far the outcome goes, what's the EU hoping for here? Is it messing with the markets enough to piss off the oligarchs (which appear to be the only demographic Putin needs to maintain power)? Or are sanctions something that you use to threaten someone out of doing an aggressive act? Do they still have an effect if the other party still does the unwanted thing?

You can just link me to a diplo 101 video on youtube or something, I know that's all pretty broad. I just don't know what to make of the EU sanction news and what this means for the war and/or the stability of Putin's govt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

The main objective seems to be Kyiv but holy poo poo you are going to bumrush a heavily fortified and vast city with massive tunnels, while you bypass the rest of the country's armed forces and expect them not to retaliate

Shame the bypassed forces don't invade Russia and actually are greeted as liberators.

Seriously though, if that is the case then doesn't that mean that if Russia does somehow take Kyiv, they'll be surrounded by the Ukrainian military when they fall back to retake the capital? I'm not sure if/how the underground systems may possibly be used for moving forces around but it doesn't seem the best idea to focus on getting all your forces in the middle of enemy territory.