Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

von der Leyen said they would focus on "diversification" to reduce dependence but it didn't sound as though it would happen soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

small butter posted:

I hope you all are right but I really don't get the optimism. The Russian military is significantly better and is vastly more numerous. We're seeing several thousand troops fighting but there's many tens of thousands more Russian troops waiting on the border. The only hope I see is that this will turn into a guerilla warfare situation but with the major cities mostly conquered by Russia, prolonging the bleeding by Russia. I wouldn't be surprised if Kyiv (mostly) falls tomorrow or within the week.

It's based on nothing but a belief that the bad guy should also be incompetent.

This is huge "the germans are retreating from the Saarland!" feelings until we see concrete on the ground updates.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

DarkCrawler posted:

The worst enemy of the Russian military has always and continues to be the Russian conscript.

Good thing there's no evidence of conscripts in this invasion

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

von der Leyen said they would focus on "diversification" to reduce dependence but it didn't sound as though it would happen soon

Sounds like more of the same then, cheers.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So I assume Putin won't complain when the Chinese decide to take back Vladivostock one of these days.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A big flaming stink posted:

i'd really caution people in this thread to be circumspect about believing what they read on twitter.

there is a shitload of propaganda flying around right now, and the fog of war on top of it makes it extraordinarily difficult to get an accurate picture on whats happening in ukraine right now

i understand there is a temptation to believe news showing right now that ukraine is offering fierce resistance and the russian army is bungling this, but please exercise skepticism, especially if you want to believe what you are reading. you may be in for an utterly unpleasant shock if the situation resolves itself in a way that puts everything you have read to to be a lie

I can't believe Luigi is trending right now.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

its worthless without a timeline but lol that they're seriously talking about the one thing that will lead to the collapse of the russian state.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

small butter posted:

I hope you all are right but I really don't get the optimism. The Russian military is significantly better and is vastly more numerous. We're seeing several thousand troops fighting but there's many tens of thousands more Russian troops waiting on the border. The only hope I see is that this will turn into a guerilla warfare situation but with the major cities mostly conquered by Russia, prolonging the bleeding by Russia. I wouldn't be surprised if Kyiv (mostly) falls tomorrow or within the week.

I don't think anyone is optimistic that Ukraine can win. They're encouraged by the fact that Russia is showing its rear end and taking humiliating losses that they should not be taking. It doesn't mean Ukraine can win, but it does mean that even if Ukraine loses the people are more likely to fight on, and the longer the struggle continues the less likely the international community is to roll over and accept this as the cost of doing business like they did with Crimea and Georgia, and the longer everyone goes without rolling over the more likely it is for Russia to suffer enough to realize that this was a horrific mistake and abandon this idiotic military misadventure and leave Ukraine before it bleeds them dry.

To be fair, all of that is ALSO optimism. And a pretty grim optimism, insurgency and occupation resistance isn't going to do the people of Ukraine any favors. But history is full of stories of oppressed people struggling against their oppressors and winning in the long run. The shorter that long run is, the better.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Turkey sold a bunch of drones to Ukraine, possibly after their spectacular tech demo where Azerbaijan summarily dunked on the entire Armenian military in glorious top-down HD

the sale predates that by a year or two

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm honestly stunned right now tbh

THIS is the great threat to NATO? An army that sells off its own equipment and can't seem to have its rank and file surrender fast enough, doing dumb poo poo BLACK OPS ELITE MISSION BOYZ getting clobbered by National guard units, and can't even do the basic check of "Gee does the enemy still have AA? Whatever send in the planes!"

The loving TAIL of a transport plane just FELL off in Russian airspace if that report is true

What a loving joke. If they didn"t have nuclear capabilities this would be a laughably easy assist by NATO to Ukraine.

More like Paper Bear

It's been like...a day. You have no idea what is really happening on the ground or where the front lines are right now. A few pages up, someone reported they were in a city that is 60 to 70km deep into Ukrainian territory, have the defenders bottled up and were moving on towards Kyiv the next day. I am sure there were local reversals against the Russians that looked bad. But we have no idea how isolated those incidents are. One botched attack on an airfield isn't the campaign.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

saw on reddit

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

What's that comment from Stephen King's "In The Deathroom" about authoritarian governments and their state-run media? They will always report their victories but never their losses, so you can tell when things get bad for them when they just stop reporting them altogether.

they'll just make up victories if they have to. there were numerous american ships sunk more than once during the pacific war, according to the japanese government, and often more planes shot down than the americans brought to the battle

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

small butter posted:

The Russian stock market fell by half yesterday. I am mildly optimistic (in the sense that it could always turn on a dime) because a smoking crater of an economy is maybe the only thing Putin can't survive. Time isn't on their side.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ban all oil purchases from Russia, cowards.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah I don’t blame people for being optimistic and it’s not like the mood of anyone here impacts things on the ground so whatever, but I would really advise not assuming anything positive until we have much more information, if only to protect yourself from heartbreak.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

KillHour posted:

Ban all oil purchases from Russia, cowards.

It's the natural gas that gets ya.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Small White Dragon posted:

So I assume Putin won't complain when the Chinese decide to take back Vladivostock one of these days.

Dugin's Foundations of Geopolitics might be an interesting read for you, it's essentially Putin's playbook since he came to power.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
China has been eyeing that land to the north/northwest of Manchuria for awhile now\

i like snek

https://twitter.com/AubreyBelford/status/1497045428462043136

Despera fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 25, 2022

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I admire Zelensky's decision to remain in the country but couldn't you argue it would be a better long-term decision to have a legitimately elected and recognised government in exile in a safe foreign country? Like de Gaulle in WWII?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

freebooter posted:

I admire Zelensky's decision to remain in the country but couldn't you argue it would be a better long-term decision to have a legitimately elected and recognised government in exile in a safe foreign country? Like de Gaulle in WWII?

de Gaulle wasn't elected, he was a charismatic colonel who refused to surrender and managed to get himself recognized as the leader of the Free French through sheer force of will.

For Zelensky, I don't see leaving the country while it's being invaded is a realistic option. It's the same reason as to why the British Royal Family didn't evacuate to Canada during World War II: If you're the leader of a country under attack, then it's hard to order people to fight and die when you're comfortable and safe. Better to risk becoming a martyr than be branded a coward and have the country lose faith in your leadership during its darkest hour.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tracecomplete posted:

It's the natural gas that gets ya.

KillHour posted:

Ban all oilpetrolium derived product purchases from Russia, cowards.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

freebooter posted:

Its incredibly good for morale from what we are getting a whole lot of folks are deciding to hold their ground. Him fleeing (which is what it would be) would do a lot of damage to that imo.

He can still pick a successor and/or whatever their legal documents require to have a legal second if something happens, and just send that one off to saftey.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

Well de Gaulle wasn’t the French leader when their government collapsed and signed the armistice.

A better example is the Polish Government in Exile which lasted for 50 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_government-in-exile

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

FishBulbia posted:

The Grandmothers of Russia said their grandsons were getting sent over.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Air raid sirens going off in the Kyiv livestream.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Telsa Cola posted:

I'm pretty far removed from the cold war age wise so I just realized this must be insane for people who lived through tensions with the USSR.

Yea
Sucks to be right
Putin, like me, remembers when the USSR was badass, huge, and feared. The equal to the US practically. The West is weak, falling apart, and massively divided. Plus this will help reelect idiots here imo

He's doing it because he can get away with it and he thinks it will make himself and Russia stronger. The USSR had a shitton of satellite states that did Moscows explicit bidding.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Air raid sirens going off in the Kyiv livestream.

Those sirens are haunting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIPNVm6lNfM

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FishBulbia posted:

A hefty percentage of the Russian military is conscripted so it would be more surprising if there weren't conscripts involved.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
From what I have been reading it seems the Ukrainians are digging in. Anyone have an update on what happened last night? Or a good source one can see the current gains by Russian forces?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Grandmothers of Russia said their grandsons were getting sent over.

Yeah, it was mentioned that conscripts were being forced to sign professional contracts, since regular conscripts can't be deployed in a conflict like this. Dunno if it's true, just repeating what I've read in this thread.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497077886037151761?s=20&t=QPmpY1rYPpFYn_KKOm5LnA

Ukrainian MoD reporting anti-air units were able to prevent two missile attacks on Kyiv.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

It's haunting to see so little traffic, and somewhat nice, if shocking, to see people being so diligent about safe driving.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1497078711903997988?s=20&t=QPmpY1rYPpFYn_KKOm5LnA

Bridge destroyed to prevent Russian armor crossing NW of capital

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Still can't believe they thought they could take the airport and then have troops come in to make sure the initial troops had back-up.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Anubis posted:

It's haunting to see so little traffic, and somewhat nice, if shocking, to see people being so diligent about safe driving.

And to imagine there are people still getting up to do their day to day work under the threat of imminent attack as if nothing was going on.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Acebuckeye13 posted:

A hefty percentage of the Russian military is conscripted so it would be more surprising if there weren't conscripts involved.

Russia has +400k contractors they'll use em first, don't doubt that they'll press kids to sign up though

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Spinz posted:

Yea
Sucks to be right
Putin, like me, remembers when the USSR was badass, huge, and feared. The equal to the US practically. The West is weak, falling apart, and massively divided. Plus this will help reelect idiots here imo

He's doing it because he can get away with it and he thinks it will make himself and Russia stronger. The USSR had a shitton of satellite states that did Moscows explicit bidding.

This kinda makes Putin sound like the Uncle Rico of statesmen

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

FishBulbia posted:

Russia has +400k contractors they'll use em first, don't doubt that they'll press kids to sign up though

Granted, you can become contracted at 19 after your first year is up and you want to stay. So lots of 19-year-olds with 1 year + 1 day of experience, who are technically classified as professional soldiers now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Putin says Ukraine isn’t a real country because it was once part of old Russia? Can some Scandinavian country just say Russia isn’t a thing because it’s just an old Viking tribe?

Israel says this about Palestine and the USA gives them billions a year.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

Still can't believe they thought they could take the airport and then have troops come in to make sure the initial troops had back-up.

Every decade or so we have to relearn that dropping a bunch of paratroopers deep in enemy territory is basically just a death sentence.