Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Often overlooked note for buddy taping never to tape the middle and ring fingers together because it leaves the index and pinky fingers awkwardly isolated and more vulnerable to even worse injury. Always pinky to ring; middle to index.

"never gambit gloves, always ninja turtles"

Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Often overlooked note for buddy taping never to tape the middle and ring fingers together because it leaves the index and pinky fingers awkwardly isolated and more vulnerable to even worse injury. Always pinky to ring; middle to index.

this is also how I learned it as well. I still have a left middle finger that wont close completely due to a real bad injury I suffered a while back because I didnt tape it up and then reinjured it.
Lesson learned: tape it and take care of it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What do I do if someone puts me in a triangle with no arm in? Like, they just wrap their legs around my head.

I know they can try to force a hand or fist in there for a choke but mostly the move just makes me mad because I'm prone to cauliflower ear. Do I stack them? I don't want to hurt someone's lower back or neck just because this move bothers me as an individual, are there other good responses?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

What do I do if someone puts me in a triangle with no arm in? Like, they just wrap their legs around my head.

I know they can try to force a hand or fist in there for a choke but mostly the move just makes me mad because I'm prone to cauliflower ear. Do I stack them? I don't want to hurt someone's lower back or neck just because this move bothers me as an individual, are there other good responses?

If you stack them they're free to let go of the choke

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

If you stack them they're free to let go of the choke

Ok, I don't like being stacked myself but, otoh, I also always just bail out into a back roll to turtle because I'd rather not be stacked and hurt my not so great lower back than "win" a gym roll.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, I don't like being stacked myself but, otoh, I also always just bail out into a back roll to turtle because I'd rather not be stacked and hurt my not so great lower back than "win" a gym roll.

Remember, you don't need to stack them with full bodyweight - there's a middle point where the pressure will come off your head and they'll be uncomfortable and you can leave the ball in their court to decide whether they want to wait there and keep squeezing your head for no purpose, or they can let go and give up the pass.

Doing this poo poo is for your training partner's own good. There are a ton of these stupid moves like that where people will endure a stack rather than let go something that will never, ever loving work against an opponent who isn't willing to be nice to them. My favourite example is the various triangle/buggy attacks from bottom side. They only work on someone who isn't willing immediately to put a shin on the neck/head as soon as the attempt is made.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmn, that's a good point, since I don't like to stack I don't think I had that appreciation of the different stages. We're friendly so I bet he'll let me drill the stack with him some.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Jack B Nimble posted:

If it's out of something like a double-under pass, keep your shoulders shrugged to prevent them from getting a bite on your head in the first place. If they still try locking their legs just on your head even while you're shrugging up, you should be able to wiggle out of the figure-4 (possibly shoving up with one hand) while completing the pass without getting your ears crushed.

Fake edit: by "they can try to force a hand or fist in there for a choke", did you mean the actual no-arms triangle? e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B88qZ0EOPRk
I Would Simply Avoid It, is my advice (and I believe shrugging to prevent their legs from getting a bite will work in this context too).

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Doing this poo poo is for your training partner's own good. There are a ton of these stupid moves like that where people will endure a stack rather than let go something that will never, ever loving work against an opponent who isn't willing to be nice to them. My favourite example is the various triangle/buggy attacks from bottom side. They only work on someone who isn't willing immediately to put a shin on the neck/head as soon as the attempt is made.

Not to mention, they put themselves at a great disadvantage to being submitted themselves when a shin on the neck is done.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It was a no arm triangle but he was trying to put his hand in after the fact (if this is dumb well, he wasn't taught it in class). And yes, off a double under, so I'll try shrugging my shoulders up next time.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You're helping your training partner long term by making him suffer when he tries bullshit moves.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You're helping your training partner long term by making him suffer when he tries bullshit moves.

Or you're helping them get better at them til they actually work!

Source: can Ezekiel some people from inside closed guard because they're overconfident about it not working.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
The fist-in version is also a legit way to finish a regular triangle if the top person hides their arm or if they're way smaller than you. There's also the teepee choke; I don't think I've ever seen one performed in person, but they do pop up every now and then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdU2t4huEeM

I've heard of a lady who works as an exotic dancer who made this her signature move--no-hands, too, IIRC. I realize this sounds like the setup to a joke, but it's not.

Ultimately, if you're prone to cauliflower ear and want to avoid it, you might want to focus more on passes that don't put your head in a position where it's in danger of being wrapped.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

CommonShore posted:

Been doing this all week and it's working well. thanks for the advice.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Finally got the nod to take my yellow belt test next month. It feels like I've been doing judo forever and I'm still a white belt, but that just makes it feel more meaningful imo. :unsmith:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Finally got the nod to take my yellow belt test next month. It feels like I've been doing judo forever and I'm still a white belt, but that just makes it feel more meaningful imo. :unsmith:

Nice! I wish I had a yellow belt, both generally and in Judo

Edit: I'm teaching again this Saturday. I'm doing the same drill as before, building pattern of:
scissor sweep
Scissor sweep to hip bump
Scissor sweep to hip bump to kimura

Any recommendations for submission finishes for the two sweeps? I feel like an america or kimura should be there right after the sweep, because of your grips, but I'd welcome any advice. I'd like to have them drill / practice going for an attack after the sweep so they're less likely to mentally stop after the sweep in a roll.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 25, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Excellent! I'm sure you'll do well

Here are some tips though

1) Show off how good and crisp your breakfalls are that whole day. The main thing I look for in a yellow belt is "would it be safe for this person to compete?"

2) Don't stress about making sure that you have the names of the techniques down perfectly. They'll prompt you if you're not sure. If I'm testing for a yellow belt and I ask for a tai otoshi and they give me an osoto otoshi, I'll say "ok that was a nice osoto otoshi, but tai otoshi goes the other direction" and I'll put a check mark next to osoto otoshi and move on.

3) If I'm looking for anything in the actual throws it's that the candidate can do one or two throws pretty well and at least get through the rest. If there's a throw that you're not confident about (and we all have throws we're not confident about, so that's ok), at least show that you know which way the balance break is supposed to function.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Edit: I'm teaching again this Saturday. I'm doing the same drill as before, building pattern of:
scissor sweep

Any recommendations for submission finishes for the two sweeps? I feel like an america or kimura should be there right after the sweep, because of your grips, but I'd welcome any advice. I'd like to have them drill / practice going for an attack after the sweep so they're less likely to mentally stop after the sweep in a roll.

That sounds like plenty of stuff to cover for one class, IMO, but assuming you're doing the scissor sweep with a collar-sleeve grip, the cross-collar choke is a classic follow-up. There's also something to be said for getting in the habit of properly stabilizing a position after a pass or sweep before you start chasing submissions.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

scissor sweep

With the Kimura finish from closed guard (i assume because youre doing scissor sweeps), a lot of times your opponent will try to grab their pants or belt to defend. I learned an interesting detail the other night that made my finishes more successful: hip out a little and turn your hips toward him, like youre facing him, that will almost always break the grip. I knew about holding the elbow close to my chest, but the little angle change is a game changer in finishing in the gi when grips are involved. Also make sure that your leg is on top of his back to prevent the roll through for the kimura defense.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Nestharken posted:

The fist-in version is also a legit way to finish a regular triangle if the top person hides their arm or if they're way smaller than you. There's also the teepee choke; I don't think I've ever seen one performed in person, but they do pop up every now and then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdU2t4huEeM

I've heard of a lady who works as an exotic dancer who made this her signature move--no-hands, too, IIRC. I realize this sounds like the setup to a joke, but it's not.

Ultimately, if you're prone to cauliflower ear and want to avoid it, you might want to focus more on passes that don't put your head in a position where it's in danger of being wrapped.

I learned the teepee from Eddie bravo's book back in 2000 whatever and have used it to tap oblivious lower belts who do double unders wrong ever since.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Just got absolutely plastered in my first match. Got taken down, couldn't recover guard and he passed straight through into scarf control and americana'd me. He won the division, at least! And I've got a bunch of stuff to work on for next time.

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 26, 2022

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

scissor sweep

There are lots of possible versions of those sweeps, which grips are you using? Your answers will depend on that. With the hip bump, are you grabbing his head, or going past and grabbing his far arm? And are you directing their weight diagonally backwards, or in a circle around you?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

There are lots of possible versions of those sweeps, which grips are you using? Your answers will depend on that. With the hip bump, are you grabbing his head, or going past and grabbing his far arm? And are you directing their weight diagonally backwards, or in a circle around you?

Good points, sorry.

The "standard" versions we teach at my gym would be:

Scissor sweep: cross collar grip, same side sleeve grip. Shrimp out just a bit for room, to get a knee shield. Other leg waits on their thigh so they can't simply step over. Pull the opponent towards you, you can even rock forwards and back, but regardless you need them to load onto your knee shield and bring their hips over yours. Then, drop your lower leg straight to the ground, scissor the feet and pull with the grips. They should go over and if you keep your grips they should pull you up into mount. We always teach a variant in the same class where, as you execute the final movements, you shrimp out just a bit more and place that bottom foot directly on their knee, and kick/push their leg out from under them: that one seems to work better if the opponent is very heavy.

Hip Bump: shoot one hand up high, raising up on the other hand (the hand, not the elbow!); The high hand goes up and over their opposite shoulder, then winds around in a kind of hook on their upper arm. Then, bridge/sit up to lift your hips up and into theirs, you need their hips to come up so they get light. Once you do that, look over your shoulder and turn and use the arm you hooked to kind of help pull them.

Actually, writing it out I recall that, if you swim your hook arm deep enough it's ready to begin a kimura as soon as the sweep is done.

Anyway, I may just emphasize the not being rolled by a continuing of your own momentum, that's a very good point.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://youtu.be/IAAWX3UzIN8

Great, informative, funny

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Went to open mat again now that my ribs healed up. Picked my rolls a little more intelligently and I got that drat omoplata.

Got to roll with most of the people on the gym's mma fight team since there's a couple fights coming up. That was really fun because they worked mock strikes in the rolls.

I also almost got a triangle from mount at one point. I had never done it before but went for it and almost got it set in but ended up giving myself a foot cramp bad enough to almost tap myself. Ended up scooting back to mount again to try something else.

EDIT: also, my nogi coach asked me if I was a blue belt yet (we don't have any ranked clothing and I see him less than my gi coaches) and said I had the movement for it. That made me really proud to hear. I don't care much about the belt but the recognition was cool, especially since I'm on a bit of a slump in learning lately.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 27, 2022

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

whats for dinner posted:

Just got absolutely plastered in my first match. Got taken down, couldn't recover guard and he passed straight through into scarf control and americana'd me. He won the division, at least! And I've got a bunch of stuff to work on for next time.

Dont feel bad. My first match I got wristlocked...standing up! It was over in seconds. This happens to a lot of people the first time they compete. The most you can do is go back and work on the things that you had problems with.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Dont feel bad. My first match I got wristlocked...standing up! It was over in seconds. This happens to a lot of people the first time they compete. The most you can do is go back and work on the things that you had problems with.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone! I'm excited to get back on the mats and work on it. I also got to watch a lot of other matches and I was a little surprised with how much I was seeing and understanding about what people were working toward so things must definitely be sinking in.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Had an international medal winning black belt train at the place I train on friday. I've only been trainign for 4 months but he asked me for a roll and it was commical hot much it sucked for me. Just being ridden around the gym for a very long time. He was really friendly and let me work escapes and similar but it was just crazy even compared to some of the black belts in the gym. An order of magnitude even more difficult. At one point he let me get him into closed guard and I have never had my guard broken so quickly. It was wild. Good fun. He won his division and absolute the next day at the local tournament. :)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

stramit posted:

Had an international medal winning black belt train at the place I train on friday. I've only been trainign for 4 months but he asked me for a roll and it was commical hot much it sucked for me. Just being ridden around the gym for a very long time. He was really friendly and let me work escapes and similar but it was just crazy even compared to some of the black belts in the gym. An order of magnitude even more difficult. At one point he let me get him into closed guard and I have never had my guard broken so quickly. It was wild. Good fun. He won his division and absolute the next day at the local tournament. :)

"levels to this poo poo" indeed

One of our black belts pretty much massacres everyone in the gym like this. He travels a lot and he ran into an elite competitive guy and he said that guy just made him feel like that. And then he was chatting with the dude afterwards and the guy said that he trains with GSP sometimes and GSP makes him feel like that.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Good points, sorry.

The "standard" versions we teach at my gym would be:

Scissor sweep: cross collar grip, same side sleeve grip. Shrimp out just a bit for room, to get a knee shield. Other leg waits on their thigh so they can't simply step over. Pull the opponent towards you, you can even rock forwards and back, but regardless you need them to load onto your knee shield and bring their hips over yours. Then, drop your lower leg straight to the ground, scissor the feet and pull with the grips. They should go over and if you keep your grips they should pull you up into mount. We always teach a variant in the same class where, as you execute the final movements, you shrimp out just a bit more and place that bottom foot directly on their knee, and kick/push their leg out from under them: that one seems to work better if the opponent is very heavy.

Hip Bump: shoot one hand up high, raising up on the other hand (the hand, not the elbow!); The high hand goes up and over their opposite shoulder, then winds around in a kind of hook on their upper arm. Then, bridge/sit up to lift your hips up and into theirs, you need their hips to come up so they get light. Once you do that, look over your shoulder and turn and use the arm you hooked to kind of help pull them.

Actually, writing it out I recall that, if you swim your hook arm deep enough it's ready to begin a kimura as soon as the sweep is done.

Anyway, I may just emphasize the not being rolled by a continuing of your own momentum, that's a very good point.

I was going to say that the triangle is a better followup to the hip bump sweep than the kimura. I usually only kimura if the posing hand lands so close that it would be awkward to shoot the triangle. However, if you're teaching the sweep as a 'circling around' rather than dumping them to the back corner, then the kimura might make more sense.

When it comes to landing from the sweeps, maybe just emphasize isolating an arm as they come up?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yeah, I ended up teaching Kimura after hip bump and it seemed good. Practicing the opponent rolling you off of a scissor less so, compared to bridge trap roll sweep it seems like the scissor sweep is much harder to continue the momentum into a roll.

So Saturday class went well. For the rolling, I made index cards with dumb rules people had to follow in their round stuff like:

-
When you apply a submission, hold your breath; if you have to take a breath you have to abandon the sub.

Adopt a grip at the start of the match. You can't let it go and, if broken, regaining it is your highest priority, even above submission defense.

You can't break your opponents grips.

Do everything to your bad side.

You can only attack from inferior positions.

You have to narrate your roll.

You have to coach your opponent.
-

We had a dozen of so written up by the end and they were a big hit, can anyone suggest any others?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

So Saturday class went well. For the rolling, I made index cards with dumb rules people had to follow in their round stuff like:

-
When you apply a submission, hold your breath; if you have to take a breath you have to abandon the sub.

Adopt a grip at the start of the match. You can't let it go and, if broken, regaining it is your highest priority, even above submission defense.

You can't break your opponents grips.

Do everything to your bad side.

You can only attack from inferior positions.

You have to narrate your roll.

You have to coach your opponent.
-

We had a dozen of so written up by the end and they were a big hit, can anyone suggest any others?

Have to sing a song // carry on a conversation with someone not in the roll

Not allowed to go for submissions or choose to stay in any position longer than 10 seconds

Roll with your eyes closed

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

Not allowed to go for submissions or choose to stay in any position longer than 10 seconds

:kingsley:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Roll with your eyes closed

Out of those 3, I think this will help you the most.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

How do these rules go over? Do people enjoy them?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah we keep the rounds short, and we do this in the Saturday class which is a kind of extra session for just the smaller group that wants to show up, so it's not like it infringes on normal class.

I mean, we introduced them to the normal class on Monday, but just for a couple rolls, and they haven't made a return yet. We'll probably use them the next time I teach a Saturday, in like a month.

From a more serious perspective, they force you to just different jiu Jitsu. I got a tap in a double card roll where I couldn't break my opponents grips and my opponent couldn't abandon grips: they grabbed a cross collar choke and I arm barred them. Our two coaches went with one of them not being able to use their hands and the other one only able to wrist lock.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

This week I have a guest instructor since mine is in Brazil for a couple weeks. This guy is showing spider guard which I dont really like. Do any of you guys use it/like it/ implemented it successfully in your game? I know like one sub from that position and thats it.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I'm not a huge fan of spider. If I can get sleeve grips I prefer my feet to be on the hips vs on the biceps. The only thing I'll ever really try to do is maybe shoot a triangle but even that is only somewhat successful as I have trouble maintaining broken posture with that setup (which is likely due to my poor technique and not inherently in the position).

butros fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 3, 2022

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
How do your gyms focus training? Mine does blocks of positions, so it’s like 1/2 guard for 4/6 weeks with the first 2-3 focussing on the position and defence and the second 2-3 weeks on attacks. Seems to work really well do drill in the fundamentals of the positions but the downside is that it takes a long while to really learn them all.

Re: spider guard - We finished up a spider block recently and my big takeaway is: easy to shoot triangles, lassos, and sweep - kinda nice to just hold the arm by the bicep as it takes away options for your opponent.

Now 6 weeks of 1/2 guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

My gym usually does a monthly focus like that, but the format is usually more like the first week is just a 101-level introduction to the position and then the following weeks are entries, followups, sequences, etc. I like it because the extra reps make it possible to actually get halfway competent by the end of the month instead of the more scattershot approach of a lot of gyms, where it's one hour of "here's a move from X-guard, good luck" followed by nothing remotely resembling X-guard for months. And if you're gonna dig in to a position for a while, half guard is the best one I can think of just because of how many variations and connections to other positions it has. Six weeks is barely scratching the surface, no joke.

Spider is a really powerful guard, and the only reason I don't play it more is because it's rough on the fingers and I'm already predisposed to arthritis. Depending on how someone grips your pants, you can even do a hands-free version of it (though obviously your pulling power is much weaker). Here's some movements to work on if you want to be effective with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcw3qszoDFA

Assigning goofy rules for rolling is brilliant and I might have to try that at the next open mat.