Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MikeC posted:

Because there is a better alternative for him than full time occupation?

The demands Putin has asked hinge on a full occupation anyways. That's pretty much guaranteed at this point because thats HOW You demilitarize a country. There is absolutely no scenario that doesn't include Russian occupation for an extended period or even possibly permanent Russian bases because effectively Ukraine would become a defacto Russian puppet state if not outright territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Anecdotal story, I was in a meeting this morning with someone who had to suddenly leave because he received a phone call that he had just been issued naval reserve activation orders (in the United States.)

I have no idea if this has any bearing on what’s going on in the Ukraine, but I’ve seen zero news about any of the US Armed Forces being activated for any reason at all.

Edit

I believe he is a naval aviator of some sort. I have no idea what kind.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

How many Dr's are itching to come to russia now and help?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean finland is speeding towards nato memembership now.

Is it? The quote that's been thrown around here was from a politician/party that was already very pro nato.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

TheRat posted:

The bulk of the russian forces are not engaged. 2/3rds of the forces moved to the Ukranian border are still waiting to be deployed.

I was wondering about whether Russia can actually afford to deploy all those forces into Ukraine - it still needs to keep those ready for other crises at a time of particularly heightened tension, doesn't it

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Wait, you're saying the Irish have strong feelings about a larger nation invading their smaller neighbor to the west? I find this hard to swallow.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

How are u posted:

Zelensky and Ukrainians seem to have made their point of view pretty clear. They're going to fight the motherfuckers.

Zelensky said he is open to negotiations with Russia

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

Anecdotal story, I was in a meeting this morning with someone who had to suddenly leave because he received a phone call that he had just been issued naval reserve activation orders (in the United States.)

I have no idea if this has any bearing on what’s going on in the Ukraine, but I’ve seen zero news about any of the US Armed Forces being activated for any reason at all.

Edit

Dude really wanted to get out of that meeting.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ronya posted:

I was wondering about whether Russia can actually afford to deploy all those forces into Ukraine - it still needs to keep those ready for other crises at a time of particularly heightened tension, doesn't it

nah, russia scraped up everything they could to push towards the ukraine border. if anyone wanted to invade eastern russia, now would be the time

in terms of afford, this might be a reason why russia is attacking ukraine now. russia is broke and has topped out its ability to expand the military. "contract" soldiers, aka professional soldiers, need to be paid monthly. conscripts do not. a huge chunk of the russian military budget goes just to payroll. russia is about capped out on military strength, but a ukraine with a growing economy means a ukraine with a growing military. as trends continue, it would only be more difficult over time to force a military solution to ukraine waywardness from russian influence

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 25, 2022

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ciprian Maricon posted:

anything and everything that buys him/Ukraine time....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ciprian Maricon posted:

He's open to negotiations. Putin is not. Putins demands are Unconditional Surrender.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ronya posted:

I assume they have forces in reserve for minor events, and Putin is (almost certainly correctly) gambling that nobody is going to try anything stupid.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

TheRat posted:

Is it? The quote that's been thrown around here was from a politician/party that was already very pro nato.

I mean, the Finnish Prime Minister is here:
https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/events_67375.htm

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

this seems really tenuous strategically, for Ukraine

The Chernobyl direction, troop groups passing through Aleksandrovka and Chernobyl itself, have made some of the most meaningful advances, and may be in position to contest Kyiv entry soon, if not already. Here's an unverified, out of date, and likely inaccurate map that should have the broad strokes right enough for the sake of overview:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Josef bugman posted:

I also must note that I'd rather we all didn't die in a nuclear war. So anything that'd prevent that would be great.

It's not happening, cease your worrying.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

Edit

quote:

President Biden and other world leaders responded by condemning the attack, unveiling new sanctions against Russian officials and banks, and deploying an additional 7,000 troops from the United States to Europe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/23/us-military-pentagon-ukraine-russia/

As they shift personal I'm sure people in the US are being shifted forward as well, to cover the soldiers moving to Europe.

Also this:

Popete posted:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

Given all the blown up Russians on the road to Kyiv I'm starting to think the Ukranian Air Force still exists. Or perhaps that Ghost guy is both real and an actual ghost and he's just scaring them until their tanks explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I also must note that I'd rather we all didn't die in a nuclear war. So anything that'd prevent that would be great.

A good first step for not becoming a casualty of global thermonuclear WW3 is to read the thread rules.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

How are u posted:

It's not happening, cease your worrying.

Neither are a lot of things until they are. Talks of ratcheting things up or punishing Russia in general, instead of just Putin and the oligarchic shitheads running the whole thing, makes me a touch nervous.

Also fine, if this is too close to clancyposting I'll stop.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ciprian Maricon posted:

He is willing to negotiate. He could surrender any time he wants, but isn't giving up without something in return (yet). Which is why he wants to fight as hard as he can, to try to extract concessions at the negotiating table.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Popete posted:

He hung around for 40 minutes of it before he said he absolutely had to leave to make sure he could reach his unit station at the specified time of his orders, though I guess fair enough.

It could just be something random.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

He's open to negotiations. Putin is not. Putins demands are Unconditional Surrender.

Yes maybe, but characterizing Ukraine and Zelensky as uninterested in diplomacy and fully committed to fighting and nothing else is not accurate.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Attending an emergency meeting is not the same as joining up as a full member though.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
There was a tweet making the rounds that radiation levels at Chernobyl were spiking. This seems to be a reputable source refuting that:

https://twitter.com/iaeaorg/status/1497237647458283521?s=20&t=m7jRqciKOrQfM48tL7tmPw

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

Most of them were in positions of power/influence during the dissolution of the Soviet Union, and bought (sold themselves) state industries for a nickel.*

* may be a gross oversimplification, at least for the current crop of oligarchs.

In case of Russia, the new oligarchs are generally literally Putin's buddies. (I would also argue that they are not actually oligarchs since Putin can pretty much oust them at will).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The Chernobyl direction, troop groups passing through Aleksandrovka and Chernobyl itself, have made some of the most meaningful advances, and may be in position to contest Kyiv entry soon, if not already. Here's an unverified, out of date, and likely inaccurate map that should have the broad strokes right enough for the sake of overview:

Thanks!

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

president, and Finnish and Swedish heads of state joining NATO meetings is very common despite them no being members.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yes maybe, but characterizing Ukraine and Zelensky as uninterested in diplomacy and fully committed to fighting and nothing else is not accurate.

The difference being people are claiming that Zelensky is getting anything right now other than exactly what Putin wants to give. Which is basically nothing.

Putins demands are:
- Unconditional Surrender
- Demilitarization / "Denazification" of Ukraine (this no doubt will include occupation by Russian forces)
- No Accession to NATO
- Basically a license for Russia to veto any Ukrainian decisions

These are not negotiable positions.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

KitConstantine posted:

Russians fired on a second ship

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1497243376147648517?t=XtTak2HrEJ5TFFeuZ7tIkg&s=19

From the facebook link: the first ship under Moldovian flag was carrying 600 tons of oil and diesel, and the more recent ship is under Panamanian registration carrying grain.

Why is this not a bigger deal? If they fired on not one, but two neutrally flagged ships that's a non-accidental act of war; and you are saying Moldovian flagged, but if a Romanian flagged ship were hit by Russian anti-ship missiles that's an act of war against a NATO state.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Finnish representatives attend these meetings basically as a rule so par on the course. When the hush-hush stuff happens between member states Finland's and Sweden's reps are not there to hear a thing though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

The difference being people are claiming that Zelensky is getting anything right now other than exactly what Putin wants to give. Which is basically nothing.

Putins demands are:
- Demilitarization / "Denazification" of Ukraine (this no doubt will include occupation by Russian forces)
- No Accession to NATO

You're putting a spin on the demands with your interpretation of them and then presenting them as objective reality and saying Russia won't negotiate them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Sinteres posted:

You're putting a spin on the demands with your interpretation of them and then presenting them as objective reality and saying Russia won't negotiate them.

oh shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

MikeC posted:

Because there is a better alternative for him than full time occupation?

Let him try. It will fail.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

You really think Russia, an invading force currently winning a ground war, is going to negotiate on any of these things? Seriously? Its the entire point of the invasion in the first place

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Negotiation at gun point is not a bad faith interpretation of Putin's absolute deranged worldview of Ukrainians.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Putins demands are:
- No Accession to NATO

In other words its a choice between not getting Ukrainians killed but killing Ukraine or getting Ukrainians killed.

That's one hell of a Hobsons choice.... :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Josef bugman posted:

Also I don't think dropping AK-47's is a good idea. Not least because, well, arming people who have no experience of using firearms is likely to result in an awful lot of people either killing their families, each other, or forces on their own side that they are confused about.

OTOH it does making arranging STALKER larps that much easier.

pippy posted:

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1497231090041430018

How will they know the difference between a "Ukrainian Volunteer Fighter" and a Civilian?

The translation is imprecise. "Boyets natsbata" = fighter of nazbat or Nazi Battalion.

And how do they tell that? The process is really simple.

1) You shooty Ukrainian
2) From Bag you take Swastika Armband and deploy on Ukrainian's arm
3) You earn $5000!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

You really think Russia, an invading force currently winning a ground war, is going to negotiate on any of these things? Seriously?

an invading force winning a war with a well documented history of breaking all previous agreements no less

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Have Some Flowers! posted:

There was a tweet making the rounds that radiation levels at Chernobyl were spiking. This seems to be a reputable source refuting that:

https://twitter.com/iaeaorg/status/1497237647458283521?s=20&t=m7jRqciKOrQfM48tL7tmPw

there are two likely causes for this other than people loving with the extremely notorious and wildly dangerous nuclear disaster:

-activity in the area is kicking up radiation (unlikely due to weather and age/past decontamination efforts)
-military radios loving with the sensors and causing them to give false readings

ZombieLenin posted:

Why is this not a bigger deal? If they fired on not one, but two neutrally flagged ships that's a non-accidental act of war; and you are saying Moldovian flagged, but if a Romanian flagged ship were hit by Russian anti-ship missiles that's an act of war against a NATO state.

nobody wants this to spiral into a larger war and small frictions of accidentally shooting a few rounds at neutral vessels often gets excused under the "no harm, no foul" clause

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

No, people are pointing out that Zelensky would get something he presumably wants, which is an end to a conflict killing a lot of his people. There is value in that, maybe not worth accepting Putin's demands but your continued characterization of negotiations or diplomacy as just innately without value makes it seem like you value Putin getting a geopolitical black eye more than the lives of Ukranian people.

There is a real chance that Putin gets everything he wants in Ukraine, only that its built on top of huge bodies of Ukrainians.