Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

cgeq posted:

Seriously... the take I'm getting from all this isn't that Russia sucks at war in particular, it's that all so-called superpowers are far more flimsy than the media would have you believe. I would be worried that this will go to show that conventional warfare is still viable, even against nuclear powers
If a non-nuclear state did what Russia did, the international community would bomb all of their military installations into nothing, and then eliminate their ability to make war on the ground and through every other means.

Russia is completely free from military retaliation from Ukraine's allies because they have nukes.

If you're just saying that a country acquiring nukes doesn't give a 500% attack bonus to their conventional army units, well I guess that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Grouchio posted:

1. Germany and Italy have switched; who else is left in the EU that opposes a SWIFT ban?

Hungary of course.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Charlotte Hornets posted:

https://twitter.com/euromaydan/status/1497260971450056705?s=21

Bunch of charred bodies of Russian soldiers and a cursing Ukrainian soldier filming it. North West of Kyiv.

This is extremely explicit. Watch at your own risk.

Also extremely sad, I doubt those Russians truly signed up for this.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The proper response from a country when Putin tells them to not join NATO otherwise there will be consequences should be "You and what army?"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Both immoral and non-optimal over the long term. It's the classic reasoning of a narcissistic sociopath and narcissistic sociopaths can be individually quite successful but over the long term and across society everyone is better off if nobody does that poo poo.

More and more lately I tend to see the prisoner's dilemma as the central metaphor for human society as a whole. There are a lot of ways people can gain short term advantage for themselves by collapsing it, but we're all better off when we don't.

Even, in this case, Putin, who's putting himself at non-negligible personal risk here!

KGB's original assessment of Putin was that he had a "lowered sense of personal danger", and this contributed largely to his selection by Yeltsin and the Family as the needed 'man without a face' to lead Russia forward. (Gessen 2015)

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

For those who want it or those who donated to the relief thread, we are working on a gangtag by goon Loden Taylor

This is amazing, can you link the relief thread please?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

To explain why an auto factory would shut down for wires: Automotive manufacturers do extensive supplier review/qualification before working with one which can take years - it's not all that easy to just change to a different harnessing supplier.

Also these harnesses are likely UL certified, which is nearly impossible to replace with, say, Chinese-produced harnessing as it requires a number of certification tests that aren't commonly done in Chinese factories

(I work in automotive supply)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mikemo Tyson posted:

This is amazing, can you link the relief thread please?

Yup! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The Washington Times is not a source - they're incredibly conservative and publish fully fake and false stuff all the time.

Here's someone non-garbage with Germany not saying no but having reservations: https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/germany-open-to-cutting-russia-off-swift-but-must-weigh-consequences-fin-min

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/root_nomad/status/1497254180108570633?s=20&t=v9jh8XUgHXUmdQTtIwm8Ow

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a good write up of what banning Russia from swift would do? I’m not familiar with how banks work.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Grape posted:

You know how growing up you had maybe a friendship with this one guy, and it went way back? Like probably knew the dude since fourth grade and all throughout adolescence? Some close poo poo. You know who his first crush was, you maybe got drunk on a stolen fridge beer together, real close stuff.

But like at some point probably around college, you just kind of realize you're starting to outgrow him? Like you're getting your first job, steady girlfriend, maybe you don't know what you will do for career but you have some exciting ideas to pursue.
Meanwhile your friend is hanging out in high school parking lots hitting on underage girls, he's maybe picked up a bit of a meth habit, has a really grody rear end neckbeard,and he basically perpetually smells like cigarettes and heineken.

Bonds go deep, but like

The Chinese government recognizes, correctly, that the West isn't , like, they're friend. But things are still working out pretty well for them right now, they're on track to becoming the Asian hegemon at the very least, and they aren't interested in this rear end in a top hat tanking bringing China's position in the world down by association. And over loving nothing and with no upside for them

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

To explain why an auto factory would shut down for wires: Automotive manufacturers do extensive supplier review/qualification before working with one which can take years - it's not all that easy to just change to a different harnessing supplier.

Also these harnesses are likely UL certified, which is nearly impossible to replace with, say, Chinese-produced harnessing as it requires a number of certification tests that aren't commonly done in Chinese factories

(I work in automotive supply)

And having worked in producing steel to German industry I can say Germans in particular are extremely anal about certifications.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Dwesa posted:

I thought Orban agreed with sanctions earlier. Is this 'official' line that they present to Hungarians or just some overzealous useful idiots on state TV?

He held a speech today morning saying that we condemn the war in Ukraine, but we will continue to trade with Russia.

(Side note, Hungarian elections on the 3rd of April...)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Russian army morale craters.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Grouchio posted:

1. Germany and Italy have switched; who else is left in the EU that opposes a SWIFT ban?
2. I imagine international shipping will get redirected away from Ukrainian waters as sanctions mount against the Russians sinking cargo ships?

This is my best guess as to what will happen. I'm surprised various ships' registries haven't started issuing safety instructions to their flagged vessels saying "Hey, maybe don't go to the Black Sea for the foreseeable future while Russia keeps shooting at commercial vessels. And maybe don't go to Russian ports at all until they pay out for the ships they've already shot."

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Apparently some gopniks in Kyiv stole a Russian BTR, beat up the crew and went on a little joyride before handing it over to the local forces :laffo:

https://twitter.com/zynicism/status/1497179475473223682?s=20&t=cJqVaEfFWA15bwZsOS8tRw

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!

It would be great if all of Mind Geek did this to.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Josef bugman posted:

Nothing is worth dying for. There are a million things worth living for, but I am a bit weirded out by how many people seem so blasé about their own and other people's lives.

There are plenty of things worth dying for, man. Human history bears it out. At least as many humans believe that something is worth dying for as don't.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:nms:
Car narrowly evading not being blown up by MRLS fire in a generic residential area
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1497268652361478146

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The Washington Times is not a source - they're incredibly conservative and publish fully fake and false stuff all the time.

Here's someone non-garbage with Germany not saying no but having reservations: https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/germany-open-to-cutting-russia-off-swift-but-must-weigh-consequences-fin-min

I grabbed the first google hit in English, since I was too lazy to scroll back in the thread to journalist tweets where I got that first.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a good write up of what banning Russia from swift would do? I’m not familiar with how banks work.

Basically 80% of transactions from Russia to outside it is via SWIFT. Of the entire economy.
So instantly a lot of russian companies internally will be hosed overnight.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Josef bugman posted:

Nothing is worth dying for. There are a million things worth living for, but I am a bit weirded out by how many people seem so blasé about their own and other people's lives.

while i don't buy into some of the mythmaking that's currently going on (it reminds me of some of the posting around the syrian civil war, which i look back on with mixed feelings), i personally feel some things are worth dying for, if there is no other choice. especially complicity in brutality to others, franz jagerstatter comes to mind

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1497271046294192132?s=20&t=RQ4AGQLl9q4MCyLyyr-8aQ

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497279256484888586?s=20&t=RQ4AGQLl9q4MCyLyyr-8aQ

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The_Franz posted:

Apparently some gopniks in Kyiv stole a Russian BTR, beat up the crew and went on a little joyride before handing it over to the local forces :laffo:

https://twitter.com/zynicism/status/1497179475473223682?s=20&t=cJqVaEfFWA15bwZsOS8tRw

God bless these track suited men

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Delthalaz posted:

The Chinese government recognizes, correctly, that the West isn't , like, they're friend. But things are still working out pretty well for them right now, they're on track to becoming the Asian hegemon at the very least, and they aren't interested in this rear end in a top hat tanking bringing China's position in the world down by association. And over loving nothing and with no upside for them

Yeah one key difference between Russia and China is that Russia feels it's place in the world slipping away and feels the need to be disruptive to maintain it, whereas while China doesn't like US hegemony it also sees itself as naturally displacing the US as head of the global order and so would broadly prefer to keep that order intact.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Mokotow posted:

At the border now between Poland and Ukraine. Absolute mess, cold, terrified people coming through every once in a while. Since there’s no organization, me and some likeminded people waiting but despite the government announcements people will be free to go through, only cars are coming. I already have contacts to someone on the other side but they’re saying it’ll be two hours for them to cross. gently caress its cold.

Not to backseat mod, but is there a like a "Hero of Ukraine Thread" medal that can be given out for absolute legends like this guy?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The_Franz posted:

Isn't that the one that was involved in the crash earlier?

szary
Mar 12, 2014

The_Franz posted:

Quick, someone put some hardbass over the clip

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dopilsya posted:

Not to backseat mod, but is there a like a "Hero of Ukraine Thread" medal that can be given out for absolute legends like this guy?

Gang tag with honors.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Nazzadan posted:

God bless these track suited men

Isn't that just more footage of the vehicle that drove over that car? If so, it's either a pro-Russian fifth column member or a member of a Russian advance unit that got ambushed.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Car narrowly evading not being blown up by MRLS fire in a generic residential area

I grabbed the first google hit in English, since I was too lazy to scroll back in the thread to journalist tweets where I got that first.

Seems like cluster droplets presumably delivered by a MLRS going off here,

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Emptying their accounts of hundreds of billions for the benefit of a Ukraine reparations fund would have been more satisfying but ill take it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shes Not Impressed posted:

NATO jets and ships on high alert does feel like an escalation I wasn't expecting.
They really do seem spooked by Belarus' role in all this.

The military analysts I occasionally read all are really angsty about Suwalki gap, in the context of deepening military integration between Russia and Belarus.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I guess I'm broken by Michael Bay becausee I expected a lot more of a blast than that. Looks almost purely kinetic.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

For those who want it or those who donated to the relief thread, we are working on a gangtag by goon Loden Taylor

Quoting this to remember to donate (again) when I get home

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1497279698027659274

A step up from doing handovers in Polish territory?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

At the border now between Poland and Ukraine. Absolute mess, cold, terrified people coming through every once in a while. Since there’s no organization, me and some likeminded people waiting but despite the government announcements people will be free to go through, only cars are coming. I already have contacts to someone on the other side but they’re saying it’ll be two hours for them to cross. gently caress its cold.

Oh and yeah, please DM me your PayPal or name/IBAN.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

MeinPanzer posted:

Isn't that just more footage of the vehicle that drove over that car? If so, it's either a pro-Russian fifth column member or a member of a Russian advance unit that got ambushed.

I retract my god bless then

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

TheRat posted:

I guess I'm broken by Michael Bay becausee I expected a lot more of a blast than that. Looks almost purely kinetic.

As someone mentioned earlier it's almost certainly cluster submunitions. And thats what real explosions are, extreme kinetic force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MeinPanzer posted:

I think the vehicle that drove over the car was fitted with a missile launcher, which I think is usually on a large tower on the back so it can aim up to hit aircraft.