Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I could be mistaken but I mean, while popular revolt is always a threat, with a dictatorship - especially one like Russia - isn't the popularity that really matters not 'how popular is the dictator with the masses?' but rather 'how popular is the dictator with the generals, the ministers, and the other power brokers and authority figures?'

Like isn't the more realistic threat to Putin that one or more powerful oligarchs realize that his insane adventure in Ukraine is costing them a lot of money and for no real gain, and that maybe Russia - and more importantly their bank account - would be better off without Putin?

I think another sticking point for any popular revolt is who can people unite behind? You usually have multiple aggrieved parties willing to start a ruckus, but everybody wants to be the one in charge. This may be a testament to how good Putin has been at putting people down, but it doesn't look to me like any single person or party in Russia could get that critical mass.

Navalny struck me as having that problem. And, as theRat pointed out, I think he has some "problematic" nationalist stances too. (Could anyone succeed in Russia without some element of that, though?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

TheRat posted:

Am I misremembering or is Navalny a right wing psycho that compared muslims to cockroaches that had to be exterminated?

I can't speak for whether he's right-of-"Average western-European political center" or has xenophobic views, but he's much better known for being an outspoken critic of Putin who survived being poisoned, managed to get to Germany for treatment and recovery, afterward helping OSINT people document the entire plot to poison him (including at one point personally cold-calling some of the russian agents involved and tricking them into confessing details about the plot while being recorded), then voluntarily flying back to Russia despite the certainty that Putin would have him imprisoned on trumped of charges.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 25, 2022

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1497268944255733770?s=20&t=fCqQyn7S-IuMtPtVSigkDA

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1497301718991790087?s=20&t=fCqQyn7S-IuMtPtVSigkDA

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

My favorite video of the day

https://twitter.com/sumyurban/status/1497289351276998657?t=sZ4tc5c-cCA4HuUfpv1AAg&s=19

Local from Sumy explains the situation to a Russian kid: "If you feel that you cant go on and want to live, leave your guns and clothes on the road and get here, I'll take you in until our guys come and I'll hand you over. If you dont want to - gently caress off. If you shoot - I'll shoot back. Understood?"

The kid just rattling off how many of them are here and where they are to a dude filming him is :laffo:

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Mokotow posted:

For any one willing to chip in gas money, you can paypal me @kylofon . Don’t need much but it’d help. Thanks!

Just learned the two girls Im waiting for are 12 and 15 and also there’s a cat. Still waiting though, apparently their mom will hand them off and shes going back to the dad waiting on the other side.

Do uhh, do you have a venmo

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I know during the Cuba Missile Crisis the US still had people they could trust in the Kremlin to tell them what's going on. Does that still exist now? Like if Putin said, let's attack Poland does he have any generals that would stop him?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If we aren't allowed to chat about WW3 or nuclear stuff, is there a sensible place in the forums to discuss this at the moment?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ronya posted:

On the Russian FSB and polling: https://twitter.com/lymanstoneky/status/1497302149486858241

important not to huff one's own farts about kinetic strikes validating a political outcome fait accompli too much

This actually fits in well with Putin trying to appeal to a military coup. He thought the military was the only thing Ukrainians would rally around.

Although why he thought they could be convinced to support him I have no idea. He may not have.

Slashrat posted:

I can't speak for whether he's right-of-"Average western-European political center" or has xenophobic views, but he's much better known for being an outspoken critic of Putin who survived being poisoned, managed to get to Germancy for treatment and recovery, afterward helping OSINT people document the entire plot to poison him (including at one point personally cold-calling some of the russian agents involved and tricking them into confessing details about the plot while being recorded), then voluntarily flying back to Russia despite the certainty that Putin would have him imprisoned on trumped of charges.

The statement everyone is referring to is from 2007, 15 years ago now. And yes it was gross and wrong but not contrary to general Russian sentiment at the time.

Agreed that primarily he is known for being brutalized by Putin for the crime of merely criticizing the regime and attempting to offer an alternative.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

If we aren't allowed to chat about WW3 or nuclear stuff, is there a sensible place in the forums to discuss this at the moment?

call your therapist

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Mayor of Kiev said that Russia had destroyed the city's power plant.

The Mayor of Kyiv loving Vitali Klitschko and Wladimir Klitschko, who enlisted in their reserve army. Woe to the unfortunate person that runs out of bullets and gets punched the gently caress out by their bare hands.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

That Ukrainian ex president rules and I hope he survives, also I hope he's using his billions to hire as many PMCs as possible to come to Ukraine and fight some Russians.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

There is no case where a nuclear exchange would happen unless Putin is just that far gone. Chill. He wants Ukraine. He is likely going to get it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ranbo das posted:

Tanks need to pull in air from somewhere for the crew to breathe and it can't be on the underside (dust and mud from normal operations can block them), which does result in certain places that a sustained fire will make the crew have a bad time.

This usually isn't an issue because tanks are supported by ground infantry and you have to be close to use one, but the Russians haven't been disciplined in this so far.

Also a sheet of fire obscures optics and thermals pretty well

Tanks and BMP's are ABC-warfare proof, and if they are not troubled by chemical weapons then they are not going to be bothered by a little smoke on the outside. Now if the engine catches fire then that's a problem, but since late WW2 tank engines have been designed to be much more resilient from that perspective. IFV's and APC's also have rifle ports on the sides so even if the grunts are sitting inside they can keep an eye out and shoot someone sneaking toward them.

Things like these can be done, but if I had to put money on a mechanized platoon on one side and a bunch of civilians with volatile bottles on the other, I wouldn't expect great odds for my bet but I know that I would get my money back.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

MadJackal posted:

Given how far inside the Russian offensive plans the US has been, this is ominous to say the least.

This makes no god drat sense. If Putin is/has been planning to poke the NATO bear, doing so while/shortly after taking over a massive unrelated country would be a terrible idea. This has got to be a fig leaf explanation for moving troops and resources close to the Ukrainian border, presumably to defend the various arm shipments coming in to Ukraine.

Yet again, "There's no way Putin is that stupid" does not have a great track record as a logical argument these days...

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know during the Cuba Missile Crisis the US still had people they could trust in the Kremlin to tell them what's going on. Does that still exist now? Like if Putin said, let's attack Poland does he have any generals that would stop him?

Are you asking if there are people in Russia’s military that will do the right thing that we have a back channel to? I would assume so. We demonstrated that we have that to China on Jan 6th. It’s why the whole notion the world will end in nuclear apocalypse is crazed.

Betty Wight fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 25, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Josef bugman posted:

Probably start your own thread for it, or go post in a different forum about it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

That Ukrainian ex president rules and I hope he survives, also I hope he's using his billions to hire as many PMCs as possible to come to Ukraine and fight some Russians.

What's weird is, wasn't he the pro-Russia candidate, where in some ways him losing to Zelensky set all of this in motion? Or was that someone else?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

KitConstantine posted:

Statement on CNN from former Ukranian President Poroshenko in Kyiv. You can tell he's emotional

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1497189957395488778?t=nSm9oXSJDnpkmK54y4M30w&s=19

It seems it's now become an existential battle as well for a lot of Ukranians. Not a great sign for an easy occupation

Geopolitics aside the willingness to stand against invasion and tyranny by the Ukranian people is legitimately inspiring. Their willingness to sacrifice their lives to repel this bastard is unlike anything quite like I have ever seen

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
If you wish to discuss a possible Nuclear exchange or NATO escalation, feel free to make a thread for it.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1497303747357298689?t=oRZ5jHU1u0-14rpcF4E9ZA&s=19

Fake news right? :(

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

hobbez posted:

Geopolitics aside the willingness to stand against invasion and tyranny by the Ukranian people is legitimately inspiring. Their willingness to sacrifice their lives to repel this bastard is unlike anything quite like I have ever seen

It reminds me of the brave people across the Arab world who took part in the Arab Spring.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aramis posted:

This makes no god drat sense. If Putin is/has been planning to poke the NATO bear, doing so while/shortly after taking over a massive unrelated country would be a terrible idea. This has got to be a fig leaf explanation for moving troops and resources close to the Ukrainian border, presumably to defend the various arm shipments coming in to Ukraine.

Yet again, "There's no way Putin is that stupid" does not have a great track record as a logical argument these days...
There is the pragmatic question: With what forces? He has not committed everything into Ukraine but it's obviously right there, and the only adjacent country is Poland from that angle, I think. And if he sends them to attack Moldova or Romania, for some godawful reason, that's his reserves. I assume Ukraine can read Twitter.

I suspect in so far as the statement is not a fig leaf, it is more an assertion that Putin doesn't just want to liberate the poor oppressed Russophones or even "just" to knock over Ukraine, but rather that afterwards he would retrench and try to keep pushing, at best after a period of rebuilding his forces and/or passing it on to someone else.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Aren't missiles like these always repositioned during military exercises in peacetime, to counter other country's buildup or to intimidate them?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I forgot how loving big those are.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
History gave Ukraine a real bad hand in general. Ground is soaked in blood and radiation to a stupendous degree at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

They frequently move around, that's by design. Russia moves them on and off to ensure they are harder to spot.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mooseontheloose posted:

Every country has a dedicated intelligence service whose job is to spy on other countries via various means. Russia is high on everyone's list in terms of "we need to know what they're doing." Which countries have been successful with that, and how successful they've been is an open question nobody here can answer.

To your second question - I'd say it's less likely that the US or any other country has someone in a position to stop Putin. His inner circle will all be people he's known personally for years, if not decades - and he's spent decades already getting rid of everyone he doesn't like or doesn't believe is loyal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigglesSWE posted:

History gave Ukraine a real bad hand in general. Ground is soaked in blood and radiation to a stupendous degree at this point.

This video is from the Chernobyl series, and this conversation never happened in real life, but man does it feel like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvod3T945ds

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

My favorite video of the day

https://twitter.com/sumyurban/status/1497289351276998657?t=sZ4tc5c-cCA4HuUfpv1AAg&s=19

Local from Sumy explains the situation to a Russian kid: "If you feel that you cant go on and want to live, leave your guns and clothes on the road and get here, I'll take you in until our guys come and I'll hand you over. If you dont want to - gently caress off. If you shoot - I'll shoot back. Understood?"

The kid just rattling off how many of them are here and where they are to a dude filming him is :laffo:

I feel like I can sympathize with the kid. Dunno how he ended up in this position, but imagine not wanting this war and being told to invade a country from which you might have friends, family, teachers, etc. Maybe he decided this is the most impactful thing he can do for what he believes (if that's actually how he feels)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Play posted:

What's weird is, wasn't he the pro-Russia candidate, where in some ways him losing to Zelensky set all of this in motion? Or was that someone else?

No, he is to the right from Zelensky and his gung ho, antagonistic approach to the crisis has costed Ukraine lots of lives and made him a one-term president

He is a bastard but the sweets from his Roshen factories are very good

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

There is no case where a nuclear exchange would happen unless Putin is just that far gone. Chill. He wants Ukraine. He is likely going to get it.

....do we know for sure when he was last seen alive & well?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Vaginaface posted:

Do uhh, do you have a venmo

I don’t but goons have been generous friend everyone should be well off tonight

I’m standing in a line of cars at the border. Every once in a while some young dude will come up and ask if in going into Ukraine. These guys are coming back to join the army, but since the crossing is car only, they need to get into somebody’s car. Its all very strange and depressing.

This is my view for the past 3 hours. Ill try to get a photo of the kitteh once it immigrates.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

CommieGIR posted:

This video is from the Chernobyl series, and this conversation never happened in real life, but man does it feel like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvod3T945ds

Exactly what I was thinking of as I wrote.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Snake Island into the war meme mythos
https://twitter.com/MENA_Conflict/status/1497299385276903426

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

There's no sensible place to talk about WW3 because talking about WW3 isn't sensible.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Haven't seen this posted here yet, but it looks like NATO is gearing up.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1497280435612758017

Yeah I doubt this is over after Ukraine. Russia is gonna ramp up hybrid warfare dramatically. More cyberattacks, more murders, more nerve agent attacks, state terrorism, provide weapons, explosives and funding to Nazis and fascists, etc. The fucker has completely lost his marbles and I think they are gone for good,.fell down some storm drain or something

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheRat posted:

There's no sensible place to talk about WW3 because talking about WW3 isn't sensible.

Agreed. That's our main concern is a WW3 hypotheticals thread will just make people unnecessarily anxious

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Probably real, it doesn't really matter where they put those, hence INTERCONTINENTAL Ballistic Missile. I imagine they move the mobile launchers around all the time, kind of the point of having them mobile. Honestly if I was Russia (glad I'm not suck it Putin) I would put them in the middle of Siberia and never anywhere near the front or my population centers.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Betty Wight posted:

Are you asking if there are people in Russia’s military that will do the right thing that we have a back channel to? I would assume so. We demonstrated that we have that to China on Jan 6th. It’s why the whole notion the world will end in nuclear apotheosis is crazed.

Can you give me a rundown on what happened on Jan 6th with China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If that is a mobile launcher the whole point of them is to move, it's like submarines.