Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You could light it from the side. Turn the plant regularly to keep it from getting lopsided. Not that different from being right next to a window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

New Calathea and its humidifier are chillin y’all. 😎

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

it is very sunny day, so I did decide to put the bamboo palm next to the window for a few hours. I don't know if I would do this every day, but I figure it probably won't hurt

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Do folks have preferred humidifiers or are there good ones for plants?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

uggy posted:

just get a highly rated, affordable, high capacity one from your retailer of choice

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
A study in contrasts. Monstera? GREAT. Baby Yuca Cane? Pretty poo poo. (Though only recently relocated to this window.)

Big daddy Yuca? Great! Cat fern? Crispy. Fiddle leaf? Strategic retreat.

I've been able to get the fiddle outside with some nice weather recently, so I'm optimistic after all this leaf drop. But spring can't come soon enough.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I don’t gently caress with poo poo like Fiddle Leafs. No need to subject myself to that torture when there’s all these excellent monsteras and strelitzias and big succulents to get instead

plus you won’t look like an Instagram page from 2014

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Ok Comboomer posted:

just get a highly rated, affordable, high capacity one from your retailer of choice

Also, keep it clean

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

uggy posted:

I check shopgoodwill every day when I've needed one. Can usually find a brand new 1gal for like $20-$30 shipped.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t gently caress with poo poo like Fiddle Leafs. No need to subject myself to that torture when there’s all these excellent monsteras and strelitzias and big succulents to get instead

There's also some great ficus that do fine inside that aren't divas. Benghalensis is a beautiful tree that grows very well in bright indoor light and doesn't drop all its leaves the second you turn the heat on. Hell, mine even branched on its own inside this winter.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 26, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

More like fickle leaf amirite?

I have two of them. One I inherited that would just drop leaves at the slightest change in anything. She is basically left for dead and I'm plotting for better uses of that pot. The one pictured has been a champ for a good while. It's grown a good five feet since I got it two years ago and it handled our move last year really well and thrived being outside last summer. But it did NOT like being stuck in a darker corner of our living room and has been committing suicide ever since. I've pruned the top of one stem and I'll probably notch the other come spring.

It is funny though that all the fiddle leaf advice on the web is from middle-aged rich-looking white ladies.

skylined! posted:

There's also some great ficus that do fine inside that aren't divas. Benghalensis is a beautiful tree that grows very well in bright indoor light and doesn't drop all its leaves the second you turn the heat on. Hell, mine even branched on its own inside this winter.

Funny you should mention, my wife just got me a new little buddy today.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 26, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've had the most success with FLF when the light is very diffused. Ideally, (northern hemi) a south-facing window with some drapes that let light through. Every time I try that approach they are happy. Every time I try just putting it near a window or outside it can be hit and miss.

Chad Sexington posted:

It is funny though that all the fiddle leaf advice on the web is from middle-aged rich-looking white ladies.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Calathea journeys 2022: My pinstripe calathea came in a 4" pot and was already rootbound so I up-potted after a few days to something just slightly larger. In quite dramatic fashion its leaves have slumped and then risen up and then slumped again and appear to already being going back up. 😬

The roots must be very sensitive. Sorry lil fella. :(

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Does anyone know what the trick to growing sprouts is?

I’m getting these and it has a little mesh at the bottom of the container so I’m guessing they just pour some seeds into the box, add water, and lid.

But then the light is what dictates their behavior when they sprout I assume, so if I try to grow my own where should I put them, in a shady corner of the grow shed or directly under lights?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

i am harry posted:

Does anyone know what the trick to growing sprouts is?

I’m getting these and it has a little mesh at the bottom of the container so I’m guessing they just pour some seeds into the box, add water, and lid.

But then the light is what dictates their behavior when they sprout I assume, so if I try to grow my own where should I put them, in a shady corner of the grow shed or directly under lights?

https://vegsoc.org/lifestyle/sprouting-how-to-sprout-at-home/

https://passtheplants.com/grow-sprouts-at-home/

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

I use jars like in this article. With a lid like that the water will sometimes have too much surface tension to properly get through the drain holes. Draining well is important so don't be afraid to really shake/fling the jar to get the water out. Sprouts are super easy

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

That’s great thanks very much. Especially useful is the information about what not to sprout.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lmao I’m kinda pissed that I decided to take a bunch of big naps and do a fuckton of dabs this weekend instead of trucking down to the plant store to spend $80 on a Philo Pink Princess.

I was only able to grab a sorta dinky looking one with only one extra sprout (so hopefully two healthy plants in a couple of weeks) instead of the sultry quadruple-sprout colossus I peeped on Friday right before closing time.

I didn’t grab that one then because my plan was always to come back in the morning and really look through the group for the best one—welp my hand was forced and 40% of the better specimens were taken, but I’m happy enough with my basic bitch-rear end Internet clout plants.

Tbh I’m more pissed that people came and bought up the big lemon tree and the nicer gymnos/other medium specimen cacti I planned to get.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Anyone have tips on growing a voodoo lily in colder zones? I’m in 6b. Was planning to plant it outside and dig it up in the fall.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Anyone have tips on growing a voodoo lily in colder zones? I’m in 6b. Was planning to plant it outside and dig it up in the fall.
I'm in 6b, too; I figure if you dig it up in the fall, you should be fine. I put mine in containers that go outside in the spring and come inside at frost...but I forgot to bring in one of my biggest original plants. :ohdear:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Depending on your needs it's possible to DIY a humidifier with a huge reservoir for much less than a decent off the shelf model with a huge reservoir, and it'll be easier to clean and maintain https://thehouseofhydro.com/blogs/fog-blog/how-to-make-a-home-or-greenhouse-humidifier-easy-diy

Right now I've got a homer bucket hooked up to two grow tents to keep my plants and starts from dessicating in the 25% RH house

It's a flat 70% in both tents and my tomato starts are happy as poo poo

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I am trying to get my bamboo palm closer to the window for a few hours on days where it's really sunny. I definitely need one of those little things with wheels on it to move around easier. I'm still watering once a week as that's when it seems to be dry at two inches deep, at least for now when it's still pretty dry indoors

Only registered members can see post attachments!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Plant mail plant mail motherfucking plant mail.

Ordered 9 plants from Ecuagenera in December and they just got here. They're all beautiful, if flat due to packing. Hoping none go nuts due to shock and die on me or die back too much, but they're all seemingly very healthy. 6 philodendron - verrucosum, subhastatum, rubrijuvenile, plowmanii, melanoshrysum, elegans and 3 Anthurium - crystallinum, villenaorum and warocqueanum. The most expensive of the bunch was the queen anthurium, at $65. I turned down buying a much smaller one, albeit with 6 leaves, last weekend for $300. This whole box of 9 plants was $330 shipped - given what I got, a very low price.

I love Ecuador and am really happy to have plants from such a beautiful country in my home.

Unboxed

Philodendron verrucosum

Philodendron subhastatum

Philodendron melanochrysum

Philodendron rubrijuvenile

Philodendron plowmanii

Anthurium crystallinum

Anthurium warocqueanum

Group shot

Dog tax
https://i.imgur.com/WD8kjGx.mp4

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Wonderful selection :3:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Nice haul. I’m getting an orchid from them at the end of the month!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Beauties! Cool dog/swing too.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I was at the CT flower show because someone asked if I wanted to go with them, and while it sucked butts in general (of ~60 booths maybe 3 were actually selling plants) I did find this sweet Ceropegia woodii for a song buried on the bottom of a vendor's racks. It was in a 6 inch plastic pot that was approximately 80% root and tuber. I don't know how whoever is growing them is making money off them; I usually see them in nurseries for $45 but they're always just a collection of barely rooted cuttings no more than a foot long.

It's got a ton of buds on it so I'm looking forward to flowers.

skylined! posted:

Plant mail plant mail motherfucking plant mail.

I love the long arrow-leaved anthuriums (also da dog).

I assume the whole bag is just roots for phytosanitary reasons. Do you find they usually do well with being shipped like that? I've got a few succulents that had to deal with bare root international shipping because I couldn't get them domestic and while most of them seem to recover alright I've found some get really sapped by it and then stall out, sometimes for a year or more, before they really start growing again (though I assume that period is shorter for other kinds of plants).

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Wallet posted:

I was at the CT flower show because someone asked if I wanted to go with them, and while it sucked butts in general (of ~60 booths maybe 3 were actually selling plants) I did find this sweet Ceropegia woodii for a song buried on the bottom of a vendor's racks. It was in a 6 inch plastic pot that was approximately 80% root and tuber. I don't know how whoever is growing them is making money off them; I usually see them in nurseries for $45 but they're always just a collection of barely rooted cuttings no more than a foot long.

It's got a ton of buds on it so I'm looking forward to flowers.

I love the long arrow-leaved anthuriums (also da dog).

I assume the whole bag is just roots for phytosanitary reasons. Do you find they usually do well with being shipped like that? I've got a few succulents that had to deal with bare root international shipping because I couldn't get them domestic and while most of them seem to recover alright I've found some get really sapped by it and then stall out, sometimes for a year or more, before they really start growing again (though I assume that period is shorter for other kinds of plants).

This is the first time I've gotten an international shipment, so we will see. AFAIK Ecuagenera ships from their grow ops in Ecuador to a distribution house in Orlando, rehabs for a few days, then UPS 2-day to you; so plants are in better shape than typical international travel I think. I also have a thai constellation and philo. billietiae that I bought for a steal during a covid-induced hysteria 3 weeks ago arriving today, so we'll see how that goes. So far this morning the plowmanii was leaning a bit and needed petiole support, but otherwise everything looked great. It helps that I have 2 indoor IKEA cabinet-turned-greenhouse now to rehab the anthuriums at ~85% humidity and 70F; the philodendron will get what they get lol. And yes, bare root for phyto reasons, though Ecuagenera does have a US-side grow operation in Orlando I think; the plants are just more expensive. No idea if they ship potted from there or not.

Those strings look great. Pricing seems wildly all over the place for them; I've seen people pay $100+ for a bucket of variegated string of hearts, and was also at a greenhouse this weekend with 4in pots for like $8. They're very aggressive growers with decent care, so I imagine that can play into it. They're also pretty popular right now.

Separately - does anyone have any recommendations for rain barrel pumps? I installed a rain barrel recently and have just been dispensing from the tap - it's raised about 18 inches on a platform but not sure if it'll provide nearly enough pressure to use a hose with it over a few feet. Going to test when I get home but thinking I may need a pump down the line, or just keep refilling a 2 gallon watering can. I may hook up a misting system to it as well, in which case I almost certainly need a pump.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 4, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

skylined! posted:

Those strings look great. Pricing seems wildly all over the place for them; I've seen people pay $100+ for a bucket of variegated string of hearts, and was also at a greenhouse this weekend with 4in pots for like $8. They're very aggressive growers with decent care, so I imagine that can play into it. They're also pretty popular right now.

I think it may be partially regional since they definitely can't go outdoors for a good portion of the year here. Not sure.

They have really neat flowers though. Some of them are opening up now but it turns out it's hard to get good pictures of small things with a phone:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
For another price datapoint, I bought a tiny 1" pot of non-variegated String of Hearts at a local nursery here (MN) for $6 last week, with strings of about 6". I didn't even know that they flower, so that's something to look forward to!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

since I'm going to be moving my bamboo palm in front of the window sometimes, I think maybe something with wheels would help. I'm having trouble finding a place that sells ones that actually look attractive or are really subtle. I found this one, but it's in Australia so I'm guessing it will be pretty expensive to ship

https://plantglider.com/collections/all-omnia-products/products/omnia-dolly-wheel?variant=37682065735871

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

since I'm going to be moving my bamboo palm in front of the window sometimes, I think maybe something with wheels would help. I'm having trouble finding a place that sells ones that actually look attractive or are really subtle. I found this one, but it's in Australia so I'm guessing it will be pretty expensive to ship

https://plantglider.com/collections/all-omnia-products/products/omnia-dolly-wheel?variant=37682065735871

why not just get one at home despot for like $5?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a wheeled plant tray where you couldn't see the wheels (except the weird one you linked to) but you could also just put furniture glides or those little adhesive pad things on the bottom and it should slide real easy over the floor.

Edit:
Actually Wagner makes some that are available on Amazon, and there's some others if you google for "plant caddy hidden wheels" or whatever.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 7, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
this is why you get lightweight, durable pots or pot liners/inner pots, etc—so you can pick up and carry your plants

especially for your bigger plants

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I definitely can lift it, I was just curious. I got a planter from peach and pebble that matches the nearby furnishings really well

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So I got a little misting system set up on the deck for the summer heat and connected it to a wifi spigot controller. So I can set a timer, or set a temperature sensor, or just use a voice command to turn my deck into a rainforest. It's dumb as hell and I love it. I turned on some stormy music and my wife said she felt like she was in the produce section at Kroger.

I've got to build a few more shelves, and will have to drag everything back inside because it's supposed to freeze one more time this weekend, but this space is going to be rad as hell all summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dokvFDpA4w

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That's really great. Does the wifi spigot thing mechanically close if it loses internet or power?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That's really great. Does the wifi spigot thing mechanically close if it loses internet or power?

I would assume/hope that it's a solenoid valve that's only open when it's getting current.

skylined! posted:

So I got a little misting system set up on the deck for the summer heat and connected it to a wifi spigot controller. So I can set a timer, or set a temperature sensor, or just use a voice command to turn my deck into a rainforest. It's dumb as hell and I love it. I turned on some stormy music and my wife said she felt like she was in the produce section at Kroger.

This is neat! I put in a bunch of lines to do drip irrigation on my gardens last year but it was too late in the season to put any heads on them so I'm looking forward to a season without watering (because I said this it will rain literally every day of spring and summer).

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It's battery operated and says it has a 2 year battery life with fresh batteries, so hopefully loss of power won't be an issue. I did hook it up before putting in batteries and there was no water flow, so assuming that if the battery dies it'll just be inoperable.

Wallet posted:

I would assume/hope that it's a solenoid valve that's only open when it's getting current.

This is neat! I put in a bunch of lines to do drip irrigation on my gardens last year but it was too late in the season to put any heads on them so I'm looking forward to a season without watering (because I said this it will rain literally every day of spring and summer).

Thanks - and yea, it'll probably be the wettest season on record and I won't need it at all, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

For my bamboo palm, I noticed that on the bottom of the stems there are these greenish brown husks, that sometimes are peeling off a bit. some of them have new buds growing out of them, but some of them have leaves that are just kind of sagging or are brown. I assume for the latter I should just take these off, but keep the husks on the new buds?

and side question, how are these drainage plugs supposed to work if you transplant directly into the pot? aren't you not going to be able to remove the plug, since you take it out from the top?

Only registered members can see post attachments!