Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
also, i'd rather not have the gang tag, if that's ok (if this even applies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Small equipment in Ukrainian army dates back at most to 2014, with the exception of ageless stuff like Kalashnikovs. They were rebuilding their army from 0 in 2014, and all they had is pile of armoured vehicles and AKs.

Also uniforms made of extra-flammable fabrics because that's how much USSR valued its troops.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Xibanya posted:

Well if they’re not Slavs I stand corrected. They’re definitely not Romanians though, they look totally different (Moldovans have fair hair and eyes, Romanians look a lot like Italians.)

You can find people with blue eyes and light hair in Romania as well, and I bet for sure there's darker Moldovans. Not all people of an ethnicity look alike, that's really loving dumb.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Xibanya posted:

Well if they’re not Slavs I stand corrected. They’re definitely not Romanians though, they look totally different (Moldovans have fair hair and eyes, Romanians look a lot like Italians.)

I um...

Like I think the most commonly accepted definition of ethnicity tends to be "a cultural group". Meaning physical racial type stuff isn't really relevant, at least in the Old World.
It doesn't exactly surprise me that more northerly populations of Romanians would be more ..."European" for lack of a better word, and more southerly ones would look more uh "Balkan" or Mediterranean or whatever. What defines people is going to be cultural, linguistic, and other stuff.

Funny you should bring up Italians, because an Italian from Genoa and an Italian from Sicily can look enormously different.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Grouchio posted:

Can someone explain to me what the purpose of this NATO taskforce is?

The NATO Response Force is designed to be a rapid response force for anything NATO needs. Mobilizing, organizing, and integrating contributory forces underneath NATO takes time--the NRF is designed to take much less time. It's kind of like what a marine expeditionary unit does for the US though more general in purpose--quick response to mitigate crisis or establish forward positions while the situation is assessed and, if necessary, other NATO forces are assembled. See: here.

NATO used to have large standing forces comprised of contributions from various NATO militaries, but those were scaled down in the 2000s since the Cold War was over.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Play posted:

Russia is a main player and is fighting in this one, however.

In some ways it reminds me a small bit of Vietnam, which was a similar thing but on the opposite side.

The USSR was in plenty of "hot" wars during the Cold War where the US wasn't involved, too.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Xibanya posted:

What the gently caress are you going on about? Have you so much as read a Wikipedia article on the subject?

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Budzilla posted:

Why are the Russians sending in unarmed transport planes so close to the front lines?

To be taken with a grain of salt (accuracy, propaganda, etc) but there seems to be an underlying theme of the Russians surprised by their inability to contend with Ukrainian AA capability, supply lines, and troop morale. Not saying they are going to lose, it's just going to err on the side of a Pyrrhic victory - and undoubtedly a Chechnyen-esque insurgency. What a gently caress up.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

CommieGIR posted:

Germany's army has its issues, but its well equipped and trained, I wouldn't say its in complete disrepair.

There was an article about 2 days ago by a high ranking army inspector (or what it's called): https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-army-chief-fed-up-with-neglect-countrys-military-2022-02-24/

It may technically not be in disrepair, but according to this insider and the reactions to his statements, it doesn't seem to be meaningfully combat-ready.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

OddObserver posted:

Also, you're making too big of a deal over Cyrillic. The Soviet Union basically made everyone use Cyrillic.
(Well, not the Poles, but that would be an improvement, so I see why they won't do that).

I mentioned it because Moldova and Romania both speak Romanian but Moldova uses Cyrillic and Romania does not. ie, the purpose of it wasn’t to say Moldova is remarkable for that but to highlight they are not the same culture as Romania.

How are we even on this, this is a dumb topic. I’ll concede every point so we can shut up about this.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

piL posted:

Edit: I'm just guessing at this though, but when Germany and Japan do weird poo poo, sometimes the answer is that they're weird, but it's often a result of WW2 being baked into the founding of their modern implementations.

Speaking of Japan...

Have they made any statements re: the attack on one of their merchant vessels?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russia speaking now at the Security Council

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

CommieGIR posted:

Worth noting that large transports like that are especially easy to shoot down, as they are often slow and low. You don't need any special SAMs. This is party of why, even when US had air superiority, taking off from places like Bagram and Iraqi airfields, US transports did 'combat takeoffs' where they rapidly ascended to get out of range of small arms.
You could set up some old ZU-23-2 batteries a few hundred meters from the end of the runway and keep them hidden just to get some easy kills.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
What is going in in Ukraine is awful and Russia needs to be stopped. Thing have obviously moved on from the Euromaiden protests 9 years ago in Ukraine politically, I appreciate that.

But when you had a senior US senator eating dinner with and then standing shoulder to shoulder with a vile facist anti-semite and encouraging the protestors- you have to ask questions. I'm not a fan of Russia or any other nation state but I don't think many western nations have clean hands in what is going on.

https://www.channel4.com/news/ukraine-mccain-far-right-svoboda-anti-semitic-protests

I will celebrate a hero of the Ukraine in this thread-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor_Makhno

A man who knew how to fight, lead, educate and organise. Ukraine needs more men and women like him at the moment. I'm sure they are around.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Play posted:

Russia is a main player and is fighting in this one, however.

In some ways it reminds me a small bit of Vietnam, which was a similar thing but on the opposite side.

But yeah, again, that was part of the Cold War.

US fought in Korea, the USSR didn't (though China did).
US fought in Vietnam as you say, USSR didn't.
USSR fought in Afghanistan, US didn't.

But of course the one who didn't in all cases provided plenty of backup to their clients/allies.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

fatherboxx posted:

Ukraine command says they shot down IL-76

Thats could be about 140 soldiers on board

https://twitter.com/GeneralStaffUA/status/1497344479094792195?t=wB8_qPWnyJv8gR6rIMa9ZQ&s=19

Jesus. What a senseless, murderous cword.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GenghisTron fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 26, 2022

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Xibanya posted:

I mentioned it because Moldova and Romania both speak Romanian but Moldova uses Cyrillic and Romania does not. ie, the purpose of it wasn’t to say Moldova is remarkable for that but to highlight they are not the same culture as Romania.

I’ve been in Romania many times and speak the language conversationally. Mixing up Romanians with Moldovans is a particular pet peeve of theirs so if you don’t hear this from me you’d hear it from one of them.

The Moldovan Supreme Court ruled that Romanian is the official language of Moldova in Latin alphabet, not Cyrllic.
Source: Me, I translated the cases for a law professor's blog.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Preoptopus posted:

loving murderous monsters. Sending kids to a sensless death. My heart hurts for their mothers and fathers. They are straight up taking desperate as gently caress risks this early. What loving newbs... who ever ordered that plane in... Lord have mercy.

The issue with the Russian army is not equipment, it's leadership. In an autocracy, promotions are mostly based on your relationship with party leaders, not on skill or knowledge. This is on top of Putin's inner circle being yes men unable to question his plans. Imagine if Trump personally planned an invasion himself and refused any input.

Day 3 plan was to land troops with transport planes and they followed it, regardless of the changes in the situation. Doing otherwise meant you're saying Putin's plan for day 3 sucks.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

Russia speaking now at the Security Council

"Speaking" doesn't begin to cover it, jfc

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Yanno, I admire the sheer balls of the Russian UNSC rep to say all his accusations with a straight face.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dogatron posted:

What is going in in Ukraine is awful and Russia needs to be stopped. Thing have obviously moved on from the Euromaiden protests 9 years ago in Ukraine politically, I appreciate that.

But when you had a senior US senator eating dinner with and then standing shoulder to shoulder with a vile facist anti-semite and encouraging the protestors- you have to ask questions. I'm not a fan of Russia or any other nation state but I don't think many western nations have clean hands in what is going on.

https://www.channel4.com/news/ukraine-mccain-far-right-svoboda-anti-semitic-protests

I will celebrate a hero of the Ukraine in this thread-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor_Makhno

A man who knew how to fight, lead, educate and organise. Ukraine needs more men and women like him at the moment. I'm sure they are around.

Would you say Ukraine was "no angel?"

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

quarantinethepast posted:

Romanian is a Romance language not a Slavic one

It also sounds very much like Latin in the way Romans would've spoke it as I recall.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grape posted:

But yeah, again, that was part of the Cold War.

US fought in Korea, the USSR didn't (though China did).
US fought in Vietnam as you say, USSR didn't.
USSR fought in Afghanistan, US didn't.

But of course the one who didn't in all cases provided plenty of backup to their clients/allies.

Indeed, I had thought they were referring to true proxy wars of which there were plenty as well.

The more I think about it. the more similarities I find with the conflicts you listed to what we're experiencing now.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Putin faxed this speech over.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Also, you're making too big of a deal over Cyrillic. The Soviet Union basically made everyone use Cyrillic.
(Well, not the Poles, but that would be an improvement, so I see why they won't do that).

To be fair there actually was a Romanian cyrillic alphabet in use in Moldova and other places until the mid-19th century, and there possibly were some nationalists around in Moldova that the Soviets brought along for the ride who might have argued for that. Soviet Union in the 20s ended up recruiting alot of local nationalists into the local party organizations and much of the specifics of early nationalities policy was defined by these local organizations.

That said, it is perhaps significiant to note that the cyrillic alphabet introduced for Moldovan was not the old Romanian cyrillic one and was instead based on the Russian alphabet, and in Central Asia cyrillic alphabets were introduced for the local languages counter to any pre-existing history or national projects (preceding or subsumed into the communist parties) being in favor of it.

I think post-Soviet Moldova has reintroduced the Latin alphabet and is treating Moldovan and Romanian as the same language.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 26, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Xibanya posted:

The reason is political, Moldova was chunked off into the USSR, where that was standard practice.
Take Turkish for example, which used to use some form of the Arabic writing system, but when the modern country of Turkey was founded their main dude wanted to align the country more closely with the West, so they made reforms where now Turkish uses the Latin alphabet.

Cyrillic itself is essentially a ...descendent? Or at least closely related to the Greek alphabet. Which speaks of where so much of Eastern Europe got its Christianity from. (most) Slavs or Romanians alike.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Dogatron posted:

Ukraine needs more men and women like him at the moment. I'm sure they are around.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497342913025650692?cxt=HHwWiMC93cbc0McpAAAA

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Rad Russian posted:

The issue with the Russian army is not equipment, it's leadership. In an autocracy, promotions are mostly based on your relationship with party leaders, not on skill or knowledge. This is on top of Putin's inner circle being yes men unable to question his plans. Imagine if Trump personally planned an invasion himself and refused any input.

Day 3 plan was to land troops with transport planes and they followed it, regardless of the changes in the situation. Doing otherwise meant you're saying Putin's plan for day 3 sucks.

Yea you nailed it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

loving murderous monsters. Sending kids to a sensless death. My heart hurts for their mothers and fathers. They are straight up taking desperate as gently caress risks this early. What loving newbs... who ever ordered that plane in... Lord have mercy.

And if they successfully landed they would have carried out Putins murderous imperial ambitions. So gently caress em. Ill take the prob I dont care.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The IL-76es might be being pushed in because they are behind schedule, the airfield is under control (or is it?) and the brass is furious, so they are trying to force the plan through. Seems typical of how Russian plans degrade when exposed to reality, like someone mentioned at some point.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

The US representative just fully rolled her eyes when Russia screamed fake news and I laughed out loud. What beautiful timing on that camera cut.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Ola posted:

The IL-76es might be being pushed in because they are behind schedule, the airfield is under control (or is it?) and the brass is furious, so they are trying to force the plan through. Seems typical of how Russian plans degrade when exposed to reality, like someone mentioned at some point.

Surely that wasn't going to the same airfield from yesterday right? That place must be completely unusable by now to land such large airplanes.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Holy poo poo the lies spewed by the Russian UN rep.
Pretty sure he just stated that they are NOT bombing Kyiv or surrounding towns.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
That was definitely how it went in the Iran/Iraq war for Saddam's forces. We'll see how bad it is for Putin's army here. Certainly Ukraine isn't going to roll over so any major tactical inefficiencies are going to lead to more drawn out fighting and more casualties. There were reports earlier that NATO was operating under the assumption that Russia wasn't going to stop at Ukraine, and they obviously aren't going to invade any NATO countries, so I wonder if perhaps there's a timeline in place to invade Moldova. Certainly Russia can make the same sorts of BS "culturally Russian" arguments they made about Ukraine when it comes to eastern Moldova. If this is a bunch of yes men carrying out the orders of an egomaniac with a deranged plan then it may get a lot worse for Russia.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ukraine speaking now. He's said he won't respond to Russia's "diabolical" remarks

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

And if they successfully landed they would have carried out Putins murderous imperial ambitions. So gently caress em. Ill take the prob I dont care.

you can just be sorrowful about all deaths in war, especially because the individual soldiers are not in control of their own lives

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think there is significant underestimation of the professionalism of the Russian General Staff going on, but imagine the psychological pressure of spending ten years looking at the Gulf War and imagining how you would remake the Russian armed forces if only there was any money, then suddenly there is money and you are promoted to head of the armed forces and you get given over 10 years flush with cash to rebuilt them in your idealised image, then you finally get to test this machine you've built in a proper war against a country who's armed forces effectively ceased to exist 5 years ago and it turns out it doesn't work.

e: (also you are starting to suspect your boss is a bond villain and has a bond villain's attitude towards failure)

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 26, 2022

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Marco Rubio is I guess giving the old wink wink re: US materiel deliveries?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Sorry to be a bother, but are Gangtags still being given out? I made a donation to Voices of Children and can provide a screenshot of the receipt if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Alchenar posted:

I think there is significant underestimation of the professionalism of the Russian General Staff going on, but imagine the psychological pressure of spending ten years looking at the Gulf War and imagining how you would remake the Russian armed forces if only there was any money, then suddenly there is money and you are promoted to head of the armed forces and you get given over 10 years flush with cash to rebuilt them in your idealised image, then you finally get to test this machine you've built in a proper war against a country who's armed forces effectively ceased to exist 5 years ago and it turns out it doesn't work.

Turns out air cav doesn't work great when faced with AA fire.