Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Xibanya posted:

I mentioned it because Moldova and Romania both speak Romanian but Moldova uses Cyrillic and Romania does not. ie, the purpose of it wasn’t to say Moldova is remarkable for that but to highlight they are not the same culture as Romania.

How are we even on this, this is a dumb topic. I’ll concede every point so we can shut up about this.

We're on this because you volunteered some nonsense factoids and then posted more in response when questioned.

If you'd like to learn something, consider reading Demographics of Moldova#Ethnic groups, and the Romanian Cyrillic alphabet and Moldovan Cyrillic alphabet (the contents of which Randarkman largely summarized).

To whatever your original point might have been, there are sizeable Russian and Ukrainian minorities in the nation of Moldova, and less so in Romania (including the part of Moldova-the-historical-region in Romania), which is probably part of why Moldova is getting (reportedly) more Ukrainians crossing, though it's presumably due to geography too. I am somewhat curious as to what's going on in Transnistria, since they were supposed to have leftover Soviet/Russian arms and are obviously Russia-aligned.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

theghostpt posted:

Surely that wasn't going to the same airfield from yesterday right? That place must be completely unusable by now to land such large airplanes.

They were carrying paratroopers, so I guess they could drop them off anywhere. I did see it mentioned that it was suspected that the plan was to fly them in there, plus land supplies I guess, but who knows. We'll probably need daylight to get confirmation if it indeed got got.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Dammerung posted:

Sorry to be a bother, but are Gangtags still being given out? I made a donation to Voices of Children and can provide a screenshot of the receipt if necessary.

Yep, still being given out. Post here for one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
For those deploring Russian operational prowess because a plane gets shot down, or a large air assault fails, keep in mind that Russia has a far higher tolerance for casualties than Western nations, and thus is willing to take larger operational risks if it means achieving better strategic ends. Strategically, it's better to end the war quickly (as it almost always is), and Kiev falling in days versus weeks or in weeks versus months could result in a significant difference to Putin.

My current take is that the original air assault was probably fairly well executed; the Russians just plain got beat. The fact that Ukraine was able to pull an entire brigade out of wherever it was in order to counterattack and re-take the airfield speaks very highly of their own operational capabilities. As for landing large planes now? It's a calculated risk. If you get a few dozen on the ground, you now have another few hundred infantry or light armor to apply pressure and further secure your aerial resupply. Even if you lose several, you're likely to get a lot of military power in a place you really want to have it much faster than waiting for the armored formations in the north to get through.

Furthermore, #fuckputin

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Thank you!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dammerung posted:

Sorry to be a bother, but are Gangtags still being given out? I made a donation to Voices of Children and can provide a screenshot of the receipt if necessary.

They're given to anyone who wants them, I believe. We have a charity drive thread where people may share their donations if they feel comfortable.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

All lives matter, says the UN Russian Ambassador lol

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Shes Not Impressed posted:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497356204812783616?cxt=HHwWgMC-oZ7i1scpAAAA

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

For those deploring Russian operational prowess because a plane gets shot down, or a large air assault fails, keep in mind that Russia has a far higher tolerance for casualties than Western nations, and thus is willing to take larger operational risks if it means achieving better strategic ends. Strategically, it's better to end the war quickly (as it almost always is), and Kiev falling in days versus weeks or in weeks versus months could result in a significant difference to Putin.

What are you basing this assumption on? This isn't WWII, if it's one thing that Russia really can't afford to just throw away its young people. And even if we go back to the Soviet Union, during the Afghan war the steady casualties from that were a source of mounting discontent.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Whatever Russian casualties there have been are FAR within tolerances, I assure you

Shes Not Impressed posted:

script writers need to work on their material. i mean, really?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

"I ask for a moment to pray. Or to meditate if you don't believe in god. For Peace. [...] and Russian Ambassador you may pray for your salvation"

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

They're trying to fully encircle the city now

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497357001420115970

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Ynglaur posted:

My current take is that the original air assault was probably fairly well executed; the Russians just plain got beat. The fact that Ukraine was able to pull an entire brigade out of wherever it was in order to counterattack and re-take the airfield speaks very highly of their own operational capabilities. As for landing large planes now? It's a calculated risk. If you get a few dozen on the ground, you now have another few hundred infantry or light armor to apply pressure and further secure your aerial resupply. Even if you lose several, you're likely to get a lot of military power in a place you really want to have it much faster than waiting for the armored formations in the north to get through.

Furthermore, #fuckputin

I don't know that I necessarily buy this. On the one hand, their rhetoric has been that Ukraine is controlled by a Nazi dictatorship, and based on what some of these soldiers were saying early on, it's almost as if they expected to be greeted as liberators, or at least, not resisted in any real form. Taking big losses kind of counters that narrative. But this is Russia we're talking about, so there's nothing stopping them from saying that the plane had a malfunction or just saying "what plane?" altogether. I dunno. Always hard to sort the truth out of all the lies.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Randarkman posted:

What are you basing this assumption on? This isn't WWII, if it's one thing that Russia really can't afford to just throw away its young people. And even if we go back to the Soviet Union, during the Afghan war the steady casualties from that were a source of mounting discontent.

The mobile crematorum for one

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

CommieGIR posted:

I've added you to the list, its done.

Can I have one too, please?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

But the Russian ministries told us that Putin and Lavrov have no money outside of Russia, how could this be?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Play posted:

Whatever Russian casualties there have been are FAR within tolerances, I assure you

Yes, but that is because they're low. I don't really think Russia is inherently able to stomach persisent casualties signficantly better than say the US in general, especially not in an offensive war.

Despera posted:

That seems more like they want to hide the extent of any casualties they might be taking than anything else. Not an exampel of Russia being better able to sustain high casualties.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Despera posted:

No matter what the outcome was Russia would be downplaying the severity of the casualties and covering their tracks so I don't know that you can draw much from this.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Randarkman posted:

What are you basing this assumption on? This isn't WWII, if it's one thing that Russia really can't afford to just throw away its young people.

One might say that invading a neighboring state for no reason than "I want it," rather puts paid to the notion that Russia values the lives of their military.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Alchenar posted:

I think there is significant underestimation of the professionalism of the Russian General Staff going on, but imagine the psychological pressure of spending ten years looking at the Gulf War and imagining how you would remake the Russian armed forces if only there was any money, then suddenly there is money and you are promoted to head of the armed forces and you get given over 10 years flush with cash to rebuilt them in your idealised image, then you finally get to test this machine you've built in a proper war against a country who's armed forces effectively ceased to exist 5 years ago and it turns out it doesn't work.

e: (also you are starting to suspect your boss is a bond villain and has a bond villain's attitude towards failure)

When did the Ukr military cease to exist 5 years ago?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Stalins Moustache posted:

Can I have one too, please?

Yes but :siren: Please post it in the Aid thread, thanks :siren:

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

acidx posted:

No matter what the outcome was Russia would be downplaying the severity of the casualties and covering their tracks so I don't know that you can draw much from this.

The war could stall at kiev for months and they'd still call it a victory when it was over.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Interesting, the Yemeni shopkeeper on the corner told me NATO bombed Serbia because they didn't want Muslims in the center of Europe. And here I thought it was because of genocide.

Weren’t Muslims the ones the Serbians were helping murder? What a confusing take.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Randarkman posted:

Yes, but that is because they're low. I don't really think Russia is inherently able to stomach persisent casualties signficantly better than say the US in general, especially not in an offensive war.

That seems more like they want to hide the extent of any casualties they might be taking that anything else.
With the protests all across Russia, I think the Russian people aren't ready to tolerate a long, bloody, bullshit war.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

^^^Who asked them?

Still no video or photos of a crash scene so I'd call it unconfirmed, but this is interesting

https://twitter.com/lingy1989/status/1497356709584678916

Ground speed going up as altitude goes down, then no signal. Sure looks like a crash.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/DAkacki/status/1497358196515782658?s=20&t=mwXemnmDpCfjuW_VZ2HJTg

Someone else telling the Ghost of Kyiv story, still not verified as far as I know.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zhanism posted:

When did the Ukr military cease to exist 5 years ago?

Uh, I mean 8 years ago. Coronavirus has broken my brain a bit for the passage of time.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

CommieGIR posted:

Yes but :siren: Please post it in the Aid thread, thanks :siren:

Sorry, thread moves so fast I didn't see it before now :smith:

Anyways, it is quite interesting seeing the instagram and facebook pages of Russian friends. Usually they would have stayed neutral in any international cases that involved Russia in some capacity, but in this situation I see nothing but complete and utter outrage and sharing of links and information about where protests will happen. Because of this, I do fear for their safety as I'm sure social media profiles are now being watched over. Takes huge guts to oppose your authoritarian state in these situations. Or all situations, really.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/DAkacki/status/1497358196515782658?s=20&t=mwXemnmDpCfjuW_VZ2HJTg

Someone else telling the Ghost of Kyiv story, still not verified as far as I know.

its apparently footage from a video game lol

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

acidx posted:

^^^Who asked them?

Still no video or photos of a crash scene so I'd call it unconfirmed, but this is interesting

Ground speed going up as altitude goes down, then no signal. Sure looks like a crash.

I'm not claiming to be a OPSEC expert, but I would probably switch off the drat transponder before entering a war zone.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ghost of Kyiv is very obviously propaganda, come on.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

acidx posted:

^^^Who asked them?

That is so loving eerie

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

acidx posted:

^^^Who asked them?

if thats actually real I dont think the transponder was supposed to be on

different alleged crash from the shootdown, I think

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 26, 2022

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kammat posted:

Yanno, I admire the sheer balls of the Russian UNSC rep to say all his accusations with a straight face.

Rank cowardice actually. Too afraid of Putin to tell the truth. The UN isn't going to kill you with polonium after you lie to their faces.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Randarkman posted:

I'm basing this opinion on legacy Soviet doctrine, subsequent Russian doctrine, Russian operations in Chechnya, Georgia, Syria, etc., and current behavior (which is largely in line with the former elements). Casualty tolerance is relative. I don't mean to say they have infinite capacity to withstand casualties, only that they can and will (and have been!) show(ing) a willingness to lose more soldiers in exchange for a faster operational pace.

acidx posted:

I don't know that I necessarily buy this. On the one hand, their rhetoric has been that Ukraine is controlled by a Nazi dictatorship, and based on what some of these soldiers were saying early on, it's almost as if they expected to be greeted as liberators, or at least, not resisted in any real form. Taking big losses kind of counters that narrative. But this is Russia we're talking about, so there's nothing stopping them from saying that the plane had a malfunction or just saying "what plane?" altogether. I dunno. Always hard to sort the truth out of all the lies.

It's absolutely a possibility that Russian commanders have been surprised at the fight Ukraine is putting up.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

go play outside Skyler posted:

Amazing, who came up with this rule that if a single permanent member of the UN votes no then the motion doesn't pass?

A bit back, but this was made in response to the failure of the league of nations.

It's frustrating, but the UN was designed to be as inclusive as possible and work only with overwhelming consensus. If Russia didn't have it's veto, it would probably just ignore or even leave the UN, which is what happened under the league. Eventually everyone would leave and it'd just become another NATO or US led organization.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Randarkman posted:

In your opinion is Putin acting as if he cares about the lives of his conscripts? You can look at his actions and see that he has a low regard for human life, there's no reason to think he'd feel more warmth about Russian troops.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Weren’t Muslims the ones the Serbians were helping murder? What a confusing take.

Yes. When I was growing up in the 90's I had a family of Bosnian Muslims move in nearby who had fled the wars there. It wasn't just muslims of course, but they were one of the major targets of all of that ethnic cleansing horror.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Ola posted:

I'm not claiming to be a OPSEC expert, but I would probably switch off the drat transponder before entering a war zone.

You would think, but I don't think it's an animation since there's another video with a different skin in the app.

https://twitter.com/blockedbydoge/status/1497358642776985608

Guess we'll see.

Edit: This one ends in Belarus so something is fucky with these flightradar trackers.

acidx fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Randarkman posted:

I mean, what are any Russians supposed to do about it? Vote against Putin in the next election?

Autocratic governments are inherently more able to sustain casualties, at least in the short term.