Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
At first, I was put off by the "lesbian necromancers in space" line until I saw that it was from a Charlie Stross blurb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Can somebody point out to me the "memes" that people keep talking about in these books? I didn't really notice anything like that. Maybe I'm already out of touch with the youth. I mean I got the references in Wake's full name and also the coffee shop AU joke. But those seemed more like regular jokes than memes as such.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I think I remember direct uses of both "none pizza with left beef" and "while you were x, I was studying the blade" in the first book

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oof my bones

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I think the hi i'm dad joke is close enough to be a meme

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh totes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's probably, idk, a dozen? It's just such a weird thing to do, but it is put across well did you don't particularly notice

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
cool s and miette

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
she hasn't done loss yet and when she does it's going to literally kill some readers

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
tamsyn is 100% allowed to kill me with loss and give my bones to the 9th house

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Sitting Here posted:

tamsyn is 100% allowed to kill me with loss and give my bones to the 9th house

Gideon enters the tomb

Ianthe tries to stop her at the entrance

Cam explains why this is a terrible idea before the salt lake

Gideon reaches the divine corpse, but the soul she seeks has already escaped...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

M_Gargantua posted:

Gideon enters the tomb

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
cool it with the alecto spoilers please

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sailor Viy posted:

Can somebody point out to me the "memes" that people keep talking about in these books? I didn't really notice anything like that. Maybe I'm already out of touch with the youth. I mean I got the references in Wake's full name and also the coffee shop AU joke. But those seemed more like regular jokes than memes as such.

Everything's looking up Millhouse Gideon from the first book is the one that comes to my mind first. Unless some completely miss-remembering that one.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Gideon enters the tomb

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Sister Glaurica died on the way back to her home planet

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
"Well, jail for mother"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I mean, the obvious joke is that the loss joke leads to Jod in the tomb, and his final words before he's sealed forever is "is this?"

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
A reference I didn't get at first and now I can't track down the source: When Sextus meets amnesia-Harrow in his construct and asks her about her cavalier and Harrow says that her cavalier is the furnace that burns her lyctorhood, Sextus says "how God takes-and takes-and takes"

I could swear I came across this phrase in reading about a historic figure who wrote in his diary when his wife and son died that "God gives, and he takes, and he takes, and he takes." But now I can't find the source for that, except that the same line is repeated in a (great) Sufjan Stevens song and I could easily see Sufjan coming across the same source material. So does anybody know that source? Maybe I dreamed it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Notahippie posted:

A reference I didn't get at first and now I can't track down the source: When Sextus meets amnesia-Harrow in his construct and asks her about her cavalier and Harrow says that her cavalier is the furnace that burns her lyctorhood, Sextus says "how God takes-and takes-and takes"

I could swear I came across this phrase in reading about a historic figure who wrote in his diary when his wife and son died that "God gives, and he takes, and he takes, and he takes." But now I can't find the source for that, except that the same line is repeated in a (great) Sufjan Stevens song and I could easily see Sufjan coming across the same source material. So does anybody know that source? Maybe I dreamed it.

it's a Hamilton line, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZH8TyHUzRQ

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

“The land that shall receive thee dying, in the same will I die: and there will I be buried. The Lord do so and so to me, and add more also, if aught but death part me and thee" however is just straight from Ruth.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
ive said this before in this very thread but if no one in this series ever faces god and walks backwards into hell (zoo animals optional, but preferred) i will be very upset

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That definitely sounds like a thing Gideon would do.
Or possibly Ianthe.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Senerio posted:

I mean, the obvious joke is that the loss joke leads to Jod in the tomb, and his final words before he's sealed forever is "is this?"
gently caress.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Maybe there's some extended loss joke across the series and that's why she needed four books. Four panels. Four...

Covers?

Surely not.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Maybe there's some extended loss joke across the series and that's why she needed four books. Four panels. Four...

Covers?

Surely not.

Gideon was one soul, Harrow was two souls, I think we can assume that Nona is one soul but in the wrong body (alternately its one + one dog), and Alecto is one dead soul.

So yes

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

M_Gargantua posted:

Gideon enters the tomb

Senerio posted:

gently caress me, this is so good. Now it just needs to be Harrow laying on her side, huddled around the sword

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Listened to the audio books of Gideon and Harrow over the last couple of weeks, and all I can say is, I bet Harrow would have been infinitely more confusing if the second person parts weren't being read in Gideon's register.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CottonWolf posted:

Listened to the audio books of Gideon and Harrow over the last couple of weeks, and all I can say is, I bet Harrow would have been infinitely more confusing if the second person parts weren't being read in Gideon's register.

... that explains how my friend who's listening to the series blind figured it out "just from the narration" within a couple pages of starting the book...

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I mean it's partly because the reaction to kissing Ianthe is pure unadulterated Gideon too.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

CottonWolf posted:

Audiobooks are inherently spoilerific when it comes to anything like this. Same thing happens with the audiobook for Sanderson's Hero of Ages too.

What I'm curious to know is how picking this up early affected your emotional reactions as a reader. Did it take away from the climax when the reveal is confirmed in text? Or did it change how you read the earlier parts of the book, when you know the twist early on?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I had the book version, not audiobook, and I won't be so bold to say (Harrow spoilers) I totally figured it out when I started reading Harrow, but I had a very strong suspicion. It made the whole thing more interesting, maybe, because I was really interested in finding out how Gideon had "survived".

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

CottonWolf posted:

See, this didn’t spoil me because I’ve listened to so many audiobooks in series like Stephen Briggs reading all of PTerry’s stuff. I thought that was just the normal “flat” voice of the narrator, which is why it was the primary voice in Gideon’s book. I wasn’t blindsided when the reveal was made, but not from the voice, I think the penny dropped for me after the meeting with Sextus in the River

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DreamingofRoses posted:

See, this didn’t spoil me because I’ve listened to so many audiobooks in series like Stephen Briggs reading all of PTerry’s stuff. I thought that was just the normal “flat” voice of the narrator, which is why it was the primary voice in Gideon’s book. I wasn’t blindsided when the reveal was made, but not from the voice, I think the penny dropped for me after the meeting with Sextus in the River

Yeah that's where I got it too.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Leng posted:

Audiobooks are inherently spoilerific when it comes to anything like this. Same thing happens with the audiobook for Sanderson's Hero of Ages too.

What I'm curious to know is how picking this up early affected your emotional reactions as a reader. Did it take away from the climax when the reveal is confirmed in text? Or did it change how you read the earlier parts of the book, when you know the twist early on?

The question switched from “Who is this?” to “Under what context is it them?” I imagine it changed how I was experiencing both halves of the book, but I don’t know that it made my experience worse (though of course that’s an impossible counterfactual). The eventual explanation was satisfying, and that’s all you can really ask for in books like this.

I didn’t work out exactly what was going on with alternate Canaan House for example, but given that Gideon was clearly “alive”/present in one half of the book, it certainly shut down some possibilities. My guess up until quite late was some kind of parallel timelines. I’d spotted that it was only the people who’d died, but didn’t manage to follow that through to the answer.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 2, 2022

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
More theorizing with HtN spoilers: so I was looking at the descriptions of the Resurrection Beasts again, and so far they’ve killed the ghosts of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn (I’m very disappointed that one wasn’t Uranus with the sphincters), and Neptune, assuming that it takes place in our system (they do line up with the descriptions, largely). Has there been any discussion of the revenant of Earth being trapped in its corpse on the planet of the First House? That’s what I’m guessing.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I mean they've all but said Jod is a resurrection beast...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm not familiar with that name.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

sebmojo posted:

I'm not familiar with that name.

Just a shorthand for the Necrolord Prime, the King Undying, John Gaius himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU