Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McNally posted:

I ran the signs through Google Translate and got the following results:

"ON THE COCK"

"ON THE gently caress AGAIN"

"TO RUSSIA
FOR gently caress"

I read somewhere that a better translation of the snake island response was "Russian war ship, go jump on a dick" so kinda sounds like that's the rallying cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

me "the nonzero chance that right now Klitschko is beating a Russian to death with his fists is a hell of a thought"

my friend "True but he's taking too long and the bystanders are bored"

:vince:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Works posted:

me "the nonzero chance that right now Klitschko is beating a Russian to death with his fists is a hell of a thought"

:lol:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
In the GBS thread there's purported footage of russians shooting fleeing civilians.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pine Cone Jones posted:

In the GBS thread there's purported footage of russians shooting fleeing civilians.

Yeah I posted that I didn’t know if I should I stick it in here too. Russians being Russians.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah I posted that I didn’t know if I should I stick it in here too. Russians being Russians.

I probably shouldn't suggest the Ukranians warcrime the russians, but I wouldn't be sad if they got axe or saw treatment ala chechnya

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Why would America make Russians do this?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Why would America make Russians do this?

We can't respect putin's wishes

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ArmyJew/status/1497594565695614982

I am extremely surprised at how Russia, a country with the enduring national myth of an effective and omnipotent intelligence apparatus, could do badly underestimate the capabilities and morale of the Ukrainian army, its civilian leadership and the people.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

bird food bathtub posted:

I read somewhere that a better translation of the snake island response was "Russian war ship, go jump on a dick" so kinda sounds like that's the rallying cry.

That's more of a word for word translation, "Go gently caress yourself" or "get hosed" or just "gently caress you" is the more common English equivalent.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/ArmyJew/status/1497594565695614982

I am extremely surprised at how Russia, a country with the enduring national myth of an effective and omnipotent intelligence apparatus, could do badly underestimate the capabilities and morale of the Ukrainian army, its civilian leadership and the people.

Remember how in the lead up to Iraq any US intel agency that came back with "Saddam isn't developing WMDs" got told to go get a different answer? Similar story.

Softface fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 26, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I probably shouldn't suggest the Ukranians warcrime the russians, but I wouldn't be sad if they got axe or saw treatment ala chechnya

To borrow from Chris Rock I wouldn’t do it, but I’d understand.

That’s it I think all the videos of them treating prisoners properly, avoiding the issues of whether recording them or interviewing them is OK, is a far better approach. We don’t need this turning into the Balkans in terms of everyone is awful.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Blind Rasputin posted:

Russia will forever be known after this as the paper bear.

Lately I've been hearing way too many people, from pundits to my own wife, saying "Oh man, I guess we were all wrong to laugh at Mitt Romney."

No. No we weren't. And not only is this war not evidence of Mittens being right but is pretty strong argument about just how wrong he was.

Russia's military is far weaker and rotten than we knew.
Russia's economy is weak and vulnerable, and their attempt to threaten others is only going to make Europe accelerate a shift away from Russian energy.
Russia has no friends. Even Kazakhstan doesn't want any part of this. The best they can do are puppet states and some weak sauce spite-support from India.*
Russia cannot challenge us militarily, economically, or politically. They can be a big pain in the rear end, but "number one geopolitical rival?" That is laughable. China can challenge us militarily (as far as we can tell). They are definitely challenging us economically and politically. Romney was dead wrong and this is proof.

* India is generally, rightfully salty about how we treat them. NATO/Western democracies don't treat them like the "world's largest democracy", like a peer, and like a partner. We more or less ignore them until it's time to try to get an alliance to counter China or Russia. They don't trust the West and they feel disrespected and they aren't wrong.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lately I've been hearing way too many people, from pundits to my own wife, saying "Oh man, I guess we were all wrong to laugh at Mitt Romney."

No. No we weren't. And not only is this war not evidence of Mittens being right but is pretty strong argument about just how wrong he was.

Russia's economy is weak and vulnerable, and their attempt to threaten others is only going to make Europe accelerate a shift away from Russian energy.
Russia has no friends. Even Kazakhstan doesn't want any part of this. The best they can do are puppet states and some weak sauce spite-support from India.*
Russia cannot challenge us militarily, economically, or politically. They can be a big pain in the rear end, but "number one geopolitical rival?" That is laughable. China can challenge us militarily (as far as we can tell). They are definitely challenging us economically and politically. Romney was dead wrong and this is proof.

* India is generally, rightfully salty about how we treat them. NATO/Western democracies don't treat them like the "world's largest democracy", like a peer, and like a partner. We more or less ignore them until it's time to try to get an alliance to counter China or Russia. They don't trust the West and they feel disrespected and they aren't wrong.

And yet, Ukraine is still invaded. And thousands are dead.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's been pretty shocking to me to see how pathetic the Russian forces have been. I'm not going to speculate on how things will go in Ukraine from now since I know they're capable of a lot more brutality than they've shown, but they have committed such an own goal showing their cards like this. There's no way Russia remains as influential in world affairs as they have been, not after showing how little capability they actually have.

https://twitter.com/ebashneft/status/1497643100373766144?s=20&t=bOI5aOEGXEGzqwZaIAZgXg

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 26, 2022

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It's probably a big drawback to always have to question how sober your men were when they gathered their intel.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That was quite a smoke screen generator for a moment there

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

McNally posted:

"ON THE COCK"

"TO RUSSIA
FOR gently caress"

I think the proper english translation is
GO gently caress YOURSELF
GO gently caress YOURSELF AGAIN
TO RUSSIA
GO gently caress YOURSELF

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Maybe many decades of living the opulent highlife and rubbing shoulders with pariahs like MBS has distorted Putin's previously calibrated senses when it comes to issues of geopolitical importance? I would imagine Putin was flying high all through the Trump years and probably bought into his own mystique after summoning the American President to report to him.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Xakura posted:

And yet, Ukraine is still invaded. And thousands are dead.

Which has exactly nothing to do with Russia being the number one geopolitical rival to the United States.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm not shocked Russia did this. We just spent 20 years bashing our head in because national pride demanded it. What I am shocked at is the scope. They seriously sat back and watched us barely contain two countries while plowing $250m a day for two decades into it and then decided gently caress it, they could do it with considerably worse forces, against a demonstrably better enemy. That's some tier-1 huffing your own farts yes man bullshit right there.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's been pretty shocking to me to see how pathetic the Russian forces have been. I'm not going to speculate on how things will go in Ukraine from now since I know they're capable of a lot more brutality than they've shown, but they have committed such an own goal showing their cards like this. There's no way Russia remains as influential in world affairs as they have been, not after showing how little capability they actually have.

On the other hand: thousands and thousands of nukes.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

McNally posted:

"ON THE COCK"

"TO RUSSIA
FOR gently caress"

To Russa For gently caress is my favorite Bond movie

Crini
Sep 2, 2011
Here’s something I don’t understand about Russia’s invasion plan. Why does it seem that so much of Ukraine still has power and internet? I would have thought you would have worked hard to turn off the lights as part of the first action, same for internet, tv & radio etc.

it’s been reported that Russian units were already in country when this all kicked off, so what were they doing?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

They probably thought it would all be over so quick theyd want to leave that intact so when they roll in they wouldnt have to rebuild everything they need.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Crini posted:

Here’s something I don’t understand about Russia’s invasion plan. Why does it seem that so much of Ukraine still has power and internet? I would have thought you would have worked hard to turn off the lights as part of the first action, same for internet, tv & radio etc.

it’s been reported that Russian units were already in country when this all kicked off, so what were they doing?

A combination of bad strategic planning, and wanting the world to see that Russia Stronk as they crushed all before them.

As for the second question, you may need to catch up on some backstory of whats been happening there since the Soviet union collapsed.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Starting to get the idea that Glenn Greenwald is quite possibly a loving moron
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1497630985999077376

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

Is this a reference to something?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Crini posted:

I'm no expert but I would guess that Putin thought Ukraine would surrender quickly and become a Belarus type puppet state, so wrecking infrastructure like power plants would hamper their economy and make occupation more of a hassle? Plus probably wanted to avoid scenes of mass civilian suffering.

For Russian units already in the country that might be from the eastern part in the disputed regions? The Ukrainian government didn't have control there so would assume Russia could have moved in whatever they wanted.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Ahahaha he's boosting Tucker Max? why the heck would anyone care about what the frat humor guy with uh, not great views on women, from the early 2000s thinks about global affairs?

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 26, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is this a reference to something?

He (Kyiv's mayor) became heavyweight champ when boxing was getting kind of dull and his style of fighting was not flashy or exciting. Heavyweight fights used to be flashy and exciting and were the big draw to the sport. After Tyson it was all downhill more or less.

That Works fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 26, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ahahaha he's boosting Tucker Max? why the heck would anyone care about what the frat humor guy with uh, not great views on women, from the early 2000s thinks about global affairs?

Well it's not just that, I glanced through his screed and he seems to be implying that the conflict either isn't as big as is being shown, or that there... isn't a war?

quote:

But do these actions seem like the actions of warring states?

No.

Anyway
Ukraine owns
UKRowns
qtiyd

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It kinda feels like the Russians are still blindly executing a plan that didn't work. Like between the leaving infrastructure intact and that failed second paradrop it's like they're just stoically working off a script that assumed that they'd be doing much better by today, like a broken game AI.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

There was some youtube video about a large tank battle in gulf war that explained one of the main ways our tactics paid off vs the iraqi's was because they were using the Russian doctrine which was less flexible while our forces on the ground had the ability to make independent decisions for themselves iirc. Something to that extent.
Could be the same thing sticking to a plan even if the plans clearly already hosed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sentinel posted:

There was some youtube video about a large tank battle in gulf war that explained one of the main ways our tactics paid off vs the iraqi's was because they were using the Russian doctrine which was less flexible while our forces on the ground had the ability to make independent decisions for themselves iirc. Something to that extent.
Could be the same thing sticking to a plan even if the plans clearly already hosed.

See also, the opening of WWI.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crini posted:

I work in Industrial Control Systems cybersecurity, so I can weigh in a bit on this. I've also worked with several Ukrainian companies, albeit in a partnership capacity (versus doing any work there myself). I'll divide this into two responses, starting with the internet.

Like the other former Soviet possessions in Eastern Europe, Ukraine received substantial internal and external investment to bolster its technology scene. The USSR was bad at many things, but fostering technical innovation was not one of them. As a result of this rapid growth of their technology sector, Ukraine has a robust and highly developed internet backbone infrastructure. When combined with the inherent nature of the internet (it was literally designed to withstand a war with Russia), it means that it can withstand substantial physical damage before going completely out at a national level. At the same time, much like Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia, it has suffered/benefitted from persistent Russian offensive cyber harassment for the past 20 years, meaning it's also had to (out of sheer necessity), develop a remarkable resilience against Russian meddling. Much of this is homegrown, but Western countries have also provided a substantial amount of support in the form of public and private sector assistance in building resilience. I also wouldn't rule out that every Ukrainian ISP, knowing that they would absolutely be targeted by Russians, had their blue team capabilities thoroughly plussed up over the past year.

To the second point about power. After Stuxnet, Ukraine is the textbook case study for operations to disrupt a national power grid. In the same way that students at the War College study the Landing at Incheon, students in ICS cyber security study Ukraine. Russia, in their typical arrogance, decided to field test two offensive methods for attacking bulk electric systems (transmission and distribution) in Ukraine in 2015 and 2016. The first attack was manual - basically stealing someone's VPN credentials and manually switching off relays on HMIs. The second one was a bit more sophisticated - actually infecting Remote Terminal Units with malware and disabling relays locally instead of from the operations center. Along with the Russian attack on the Saudi refinery's Safety Instrumented Systems in 2016, as well as their NotPetya ransomware attack, these attacks form the industry-wide basis for defensive cyber operations for Industrial Control Systems worldwide. In other words, the entire industry has been studying HOW Russia will attack power grids, oil refineries, and manufacturing facilities for at least 6 years, and developing tools and doctrine on how to respond.

Russia may still have the ability to turn off the lights remotely, but it may also be the case where they don't want to risk showing their hand again, for fear it could lead to global countermeasures being employed across more strategic adversaries (like the US and UK). If this is the case, we likely haven't reached the point where they're desperate enough to lose this advantage. They're also keenly aware that the US, along with other countries, could respond in kind, with limited attribution. Finally, trying to do so through kinetic means would complicate their plans to install a puppet regime post-facto, and would create problems for their own occupation plans.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 26, 2022

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

It kinda feels like the Russians are still blindly executing a plan that didn't work. Like between the leaving infrastructure intact and that failed second paradrop it's like they're just stoically working off a script that assumed that they'd be doing much better by today, like a broken game AI.

That's the same vibe I've been getting. Like they haven't changed the plan at all to react to what's happening, they just keep ramming troops into a meat grinder. Maybe the idea is to waste all the Ukrainians ammunition by sending in waves of conscripts before a major push, but that doesn't explain the failed airfield siezure and attempted para drops.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ah, the Zapp Brannigan gambit

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Handsome Ralph posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1497631911241564164

"I lived through this, and I said that George Bush was a good guy and we should probably do what he says and enhance the security of America."

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

aphid_licker posted:

My understanding is that Soviet doctrine is about battalion level and below just executing pre-made drills for simple orders a while any sort of initiative and strategy happens at the field grade and above, evidently they haven’t evolved much from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

My understanding is that Soviet doctrine is about battalion level and below just executing pre-made drills for simple orders a while any sort of initiative and strategy happens at the field grade and above, evidently they haven’t evolved much from that.

Yeah well but then still those field grades should probably have gotten on the horn and called off that paradrop