Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr Hootington posted:

If Russia does a dresden to kiev, nato must respond with airstrikes and first strike nuclear should be considered.

Ah, you are here to troll from the Nazbol forum. Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah he is great. Can't wait to vote for him.

Don't be an idiot. He posts correct information that is useful. Nobody is endorsing him politically.

It's like reading Russian street signs. If they're correct, they're correct. It's still a murderous dictatorship.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

I mean hes the head of the senate intel committee. I dont agree with him about hardly anything but this seems to be his area of expertise.

I'm scrolling his timeline for the first time and his tweets really align with my left-liberal sensibilties.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Randarkman posted:

They've typically been attacking around 4 AM local time IIRC. Today seems to have been mostly buildup/staging, hasn't it?

It really does seem that the Russians are rigidly sticking to a plan of advancing at 4AM every day regardless of the previous day's setbacks.

The multiple city repellings today signal that they're playing by a gamebook that assumed Kyiv would be host to a functioning heavy landing strip a couple days ago.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

If Russia does a dresden to kiev, nato must respond with airstrikes and first strike nuclear should be considered.

I agree but not with blatant first strike.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

I mean hes the head of the senate intel committee. I dont agree with him about hardly anything but this seems to be his area of expertise.

Yeah, his motives are purely that he thinks this benefits Marco Rubio and his attempt at winning the 2024 election, but it is useful nonetheless.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I think that any usa republican who is willing to stand up and buck the traitorious trend of the terrorist right should be watched closely and materially supported. Reward good behavior.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I shouldn't think indiscriminate bombing is about to occur at the same time as this is happening...?

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1497688029808324611

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nvm

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/the_ins_ru/status/1497687268345229312

https://twitter.com/Sharon_Kuruvila/status/1497459206605189125

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Answers Me posted:

I shouldn't think indiscriminate bombing is about to occur if this is simultaneously happening...?

Those look like some sort of airburst AA

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

Again, as people have started to realize, Putin thought that this would be an easy near bloodless one or two day event.

He did not expect, plan, or prepare for Ukraine to wage an all out defensive “total war” against what turns out to be Russia’s much overrated armed forces.

I think Putin was probably hoping for low bloodshed on both sides and to roll in like the Taliban did last year. Sadly he's also pretty much committed at this point.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, and cuts off probably vast majority of international flights from Russia.

Aeroflot 2125 is having a bad time... Greece to Moscow flight apparently was not permitted into Czech or Polish air space; was able to go over Germany into the Baltic Sea.

e: looks like Lithuania is letting them through, >2 hours late from their usual route.

Mustard Iceman fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 26, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Answers Me posted:

I shouldn't think indiscriminate bombing is about to occur at the same time as this is happening...?

During peace time, all airborne forces globally drop from around 1200 feet or so. During war time, the practice is 800-900ish feet. That difference accounts for a moment of panic and a moment of reserve activation, not "needed" during war time.
Those are not paratroopers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr Hootington posted:

I think that any usa republican who is willing to stand up and buck the traitorious trend of the terrorist right should be watched closely and materially supported. Reward good behavior.

We get it, you can get back to your Nazi friends to let them known the libs have been thoroughly owned.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Ah, you are here to troll from the Nazbol forum. Nevermind.

No troll. Russia needs to be stopped. Why we do not have nato and usa troops in Ukraine is an injustice. If we do not fight Ivan there we may have to fight Ivan at home. The example this is setting to the other belligerent communist nations like China, Cuba, Iran, and Venezuela goes without saying.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

FishBulbia posted:

I'm not sure where this person is but they appear to be well outside the Kyiv city center, which is in near-total darkness at the moment.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

Yeah... people don't do literal paradrops anymore do they? ...Do they?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Answers Me posted:

Paradrop into a built up city, tricky.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Randarkman posted:

its in their and our playbook for god knows what reason

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Not completely convinced those are parachutes. Could be flares of some kind?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

No troll. Russia needs to be stopped. Why we do not have nato and usa troops in Ukraine is an injustice. If we do not fight Ivan there we may have to fight Ivan at home. The example this is setting to the other belligerent communist nations like China, Cuba, Iran, and Venezuela goes without saying.

Because that equals ww3 and that Chat has clearly been banned. gently caress, I asked why they can’t just merc Putin and got a prob.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Randarkman posted:

How else are they supposed to land? A brigade of dudes in squirrel suits? (Which I think also eventually require a parachute?)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its in their and our playbook for god knows what reason

They work exclusively in situations like Normandy where you plan to link up with them or Crete where they achieve surprise in a lightly defended and hats to reinforce position.

How Russia has used them... Doesn't really work

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

BigglesSWE posted:

Looks a lot like WWII flak.

Is that still a thing?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

if putin doesn't use paratroopers how can he re-re-take hostomel airport. the only place in the second largest country in europe that matters?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vaginaface posted:

How else are they supposed to land? A brigade of dudes in squirrel suits? (Which I think also eventually require a parachute?)

Landing by literally landing the plane on hostile grounds has been pretty standard historically... And it's probably safer than jumping. I don't think we've seen any footage of the previous drops, to check whether they dropped on parachutes or landed in their planes.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

theres only 11 of them so i dont think they are paratroopers

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I'm guessing in a few hours we'll hear that the troopers have all been killed and it will be unclear for another 8 decades if they ever existed.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dropping paratroopers in a city where thousands of citizens got free AKs
not smart in my opinion

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The longer this goes on and the longer Russia visibly struggles to make any headway, the more this seems like the Soviet invasion of Finland; a military effort that got bungled from head to toe, but Ukraine is a much larger country with a large more indepth military, hopefully Ukraine can avoid Finland's fate.

The constant fighting over Hostomel feels like something out of Hearts of Iron; just two players dueling it out over a single province of limited strategic value; like modern day battle over Mamayev Kurgan.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Randarkman posted:

it is useful on very rare occasion but its mostly a thing done in training for tradition's sake

basically only the united states has the airlift capacity to drop a significant number of guys in parachutes at once. you need to drop A LOT of guys in order to have a decent chance for them not to get wiped out, just dropping a couple hundred isn't going to work unless you know for a fact that backup is only a couple hours away and won't be held up

Vaginaface posted:

helicopters, because a guy who jumped out of a plane can't jump back into the plane if things go sour

that picture almost certainly isn't parachute infantry, they're too high in the air. russia has shown a willingness to piss away troopers into futile attacks using helicopters alone, for god knows what reason. this is fantastically stupid behavior on the part of russia, their plan must be in complete tatters because this pattern of just yeeting troopers out of choppers to die reeks of desperation

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 26, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

in just cause 3 the game always made a big loving deal when the paratroopers were deployed, oh poo poo this is it, di ravello's serious now, and then they just floated uselessly in the air for 3 minutes while you plucked them off

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1497688227209175049

That leaves just Germany, right? I can't think of any other holdouts from what was originally mentioned over the last two days.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ukraine could probably trade away hostomel for loving st petersburg in negotiations putins wants it so badly

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

I'm guessing in a few hours we'll hear that the troopers have all been killed and it will be unclear for another 8 decades if they ever existed.

Im sure plausible deniability is somewhere in Sun Tzu's "The Art of War"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Iceache posted:

https://twitter.com/Pabriks/status/1497575078669668360?t=CvQxetinS6FQqcO6JnSRvA&s=19
The rumors might have started from this tweet, but it's just an idea at the moment

That's just our defence minister, please forgive him live tweeting through the bottle.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Weird that the fire alarms have now gone off in the buildings housing various live streams

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

in just cause 3 the game always made a big loving deal when the paratroopers were deployed, oh poo poo this is it, di ravello's serious now, and then they just floated uselessly in the air for 3 minutes while you plucked them off

Congratulations on being a video game war criminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Ultra Carp
I'm not sure those pictures are even from tonight, looking at the Kyiv livestream the city is almost entirely blacked out.