Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

VorpalBunny posted:

So what was the big bomb that went off around the airport in Kyiv? Fox News was making GBS threads their pants about the pulsing red glow coming from the region.

CNN is saying the airstrikes have begun before the Russian offensive on the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

thunderspanks posted:

Jesus man, it does a fine of job of answering the question that was asked of it.

I mean, yes, but why not make it at least a bit accureate? Anyway I see OP has fixed it already.,

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Supply shortages on the third day, oy vey/holy military logistics batman

Ya western intelligence seems to be pretty underwhelmed.
https://twitter.com/DefTechPat/status/1497697750397460484

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah, it's fake/cut up to tell a different story.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Goon cartographer under fire, pledges punishing self-criticism

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

50/50 that he tried a bit too hard to pressure Putin into backing off vs a 1920`s style refusal to deal with the crash.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The only way Poland directly engages Russia over the convoys is if a Russian aircraft gets its coordinates wrong and opens fire on Polish troops inside Poland, and an overexcited Polish AA battery fires back. It'd also have to escalate to a point of no return so quickly that cooler heads on either side couldn't stop it.

It's not an impossible scenario, but it is extremely unlikely, especially as the Russians are so far ignoring the convoys entirely, operating on the assumption that they can grind down Ukraine regardless of how much materiel they have without having even the slightest risk of a direct confrontation with NATO.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Y'know, I was thinking about this exact thing this morning

Done.

:ukraine:

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

I guess Putin found the mole.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VorpalBunny posted:

So what was the big bomb that went off around the airport in Kyiv? Fox News was making GBS threads their pants about the pulsing red glow coming from the region.

Might be thermobolic or whatever?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Suicide or “suicide”

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Nicely done :ukraine:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Suicide or “suicide”

Let's just say the balcony has found another victim

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Suicide or “suicide”

https://twitter.com/harth_brooks/status/1497675859171360780?t=xq4PIspIbnAuvYotL4SGMg&s=19

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tim Whatley posted:

Oligarchs about to have to get creative

Fortunately the chip shortage will prevent them from going full crypto.

And so, since 2022, Russia's international payments were based on Elbonian money mules.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

evilweasel posted:

the whole "we have 469b in foreign reserves what can the idiot american sanctions do to us" story ending with "uh we had it in the united states federal reserve and now they're not honoring our checks" was not how i expected that to go

I think the thread might be getting ahead of itself a little on this one. I want to see more reporting on the expected impact before getting too excited.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Samopsa posted:

which map is this? liveuamap doesn't show those red colored areas for me.
That is indeed liveuamap. Don't know why those colored areas don't show up for you.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 27, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497709487104397318?s=20&t=QMq9Mdj5UrbEHpKnAmjmHw

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There are plenty of propaganda Telegrams, and it also actively used by the state outlets as well, after they backtracked from their pathetic and failed attempt to ban Telegram in the country.

For web propaganda, you can also look up Sputnik News and Zvezda TV, in addition to RT.

Yeah I'm on the Nexta Live channel with the Ukrainian flag, and wondering if there's one Russian telegram to see what they are sharing.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1497707641342210050

CNN is now saying to roughly where an airport was. Was :(

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Technogenic means man-made to save everyone a google for what the Ukrainian government thinks is a common English word

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Apparently Russia is digging some vehicles out of mothballs. Can any tank guys verify the ids in the tweet

Stretched thin on equipment across three fronts or didn't have as much modern stuff as suspected?

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497712081759522820?t=QrW3_occsYk15yBN9BFUSg&s=19

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Kamrat posted:

Why isn't Russia cutting communications by targeting cell tower and such or is that not how it works this day in age? Seems like they want to control the narrative of this invasion so wouldn't it be a good idea?

I'm not complaining, I'm just a bit curious.

The explanation I've read is that Ukraine has invested a lot in making their internet/telecomm infrastructure resilient specifically against Russian efforts to destroy it; even more so than the internet was designed to hold up against war in general at its conception. And that's before considering whatever aid NATO countries might provide to restore communication.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1497713289106792457?s=20&t=QMq9Mdj5UrbEHpKnAmjmHw

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Technogenic means man-made to save everyone a google for what the Ukrainian government thinks is a common English word

I was reading a book written by a Ukrainian author and they very clearly had a thesaurus as they were writing the english translation because things like Brobdingnagian were being used.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
This goes back days now, but legitimately, wtf did Putin expect. Did his own propaganda delude him into thinking Ukrainians would just give up and let the government get deposed? That they would declare Kyiv a free city?

I'm so perplexed by this whole affair.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Well, at least the reparations are already banked.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's funny how all the journalists are focusing on the swift ban and just not mentioning the foreign reserve freeze at all despite it being a much bigger deal. I guess "bank transfer won't work" is easier to explain as no normal person actually understands what money is or how it functions.

Journalists are trying to convey information to an incredibly clueless audience.

If it can't be simplified into a "This is how this ban would affect YOU!" framework, it won't land.

That's the problem with a hyper-specialized world. The magnitude of actions, breakthroughs, or setbacks can't be conveyed easily to the public.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I'm no military expert but that seems like the thing you'd strike once you started expecting a longer war

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

Apparently Russia is digging some vehicles out of mothballs. Can any tank guys verify the ids in the tweet

Stretched thin on equipment across three fronts or didn't have as much modern stuff as suspected?

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497712081759522820?t=QrW3_occsYk15yBN9BFUSg&s=19

Holy poo poo if true

That poo poo's like 60 years old

Yet more evidence Russia was not remotely equipped for a sustained war

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I think the consensus is this is a deepfake.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

FishBulbia posted:

I'm no military expert but that seems like the thing you'd strike once you started expecting a longer war

Possibly. Or it's a fluke. Who can say.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

KitConstantine posted:

Time to dig out the Pattons boys!

Have there been any photos of destroyed T90s? Everything that's been used so far seems to be older modern tanks.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo if true

That poo poo's like 60 years old

Yet more evidence Russia was not remotely equipped for a sustained war

They're also bringing out their newest tanks which is pretty risky.
https://twitter.com/akihheikkinen/status/1497699907041439755?t=tuohisGneKyddqsaJUqwdA&s=19

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Slashrat posted:

The explanation I've read is that Ukraine has invested a lot in making their internet/telecomm infrastructure resilient specifically against Russian efforts to destroy it; even more so than the internet was designed to hold up against war in general at its conception. And that's before considering whatever aid NATO countries might provide to restore communication.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
T90s are just T72s with a new sticker name. AFAIK T80s are the better tanks.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

punishedkissinger posted:

i blame the olympic committee for forcing Russia's hand here.

Never make a Russian Figure Skater cry.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if we'll get that SWIFT account ban on Russia this coming week.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Worth noting some saboteurs in Kyiv were caught in telecom manholes doing… stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

This goes back days now, but legitimately, wtf did Putin expect. Did his own propaganda delude him into thinking Ukrainians would just give up and let the government get deposed? That they would declare Kyiv a free city?

I'm so perplexed by this whole affair.

Best guess would be that he expected the leadership to bail out to western Europe, leading to the troops just giving up. This turning into the Zelensky and co.`s hour of glory (at least for a while) is, to say the least, sub-optimal.