Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Here's the Russian take on events.

Click through the quoted tweet to get to the article, its loving wild.

https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1497720524885082113?t=ys8e93e9KAzUprUOZKojVQ&s=19

To be explicit, it's a loving manifesto.

"Vladimir Putin has assumed, without a drop of exaggeration, a historic responsibility by deciding not to leave the solution of the Ukrainian question to future generations."

I would recommend people read it.

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

I've literally been asking them same question myself. Either:

1. Russia has some kind of jamming that neutralizes them. Given that they got to see them up-close in Nagorno-Karabakh it isn't oulandish, but generally Russia hasn't exactly been covering themselves in glory in the technical side of this war...
2. Ukrainians have just been merrily fragging things behind the lines with them, but no-one is talking about it.
3. They only have limited stores and so are saving them for a rainy day.

Same, they're also good propaganda tools but we've seen literally zero drone video released of owning armor or whatever. Seems like they're keeping them super tightly locked down.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497713340986146825?s=20&t=79mWIa7gp2k_Y01-NctsHA

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anglo update

https://twitter.com/defencehq/status/1497714109521043462

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Well that sounds too stupid even for Chechnyan thugs

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

KitConstantine posted:

Click through the quoted tweet to get to the article, but it's loving bad.

https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1497720524885082113?t=ys8e93e9KAzUprUOZKojVQ&s=19

My God he's lost his loving goddamn mind. They are gonna drag him through the streets for this.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

color me more than a little skeptical of this one, seems super over the top

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

steinrokkan posted:

Well that sounds too stupid even for Chechnyan thugs

56 tanks is a lot a lot so id want a couple other sources to verify things like that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

56 tanks?????

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

KitConstantine posted:

Click through the quoted tweet to get to the article, but it's loving bad.

Please let that be a bad translation. Such language has only one meaning, and Putiin knows his history. :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Please let that be a bad translation. Such language has only one meaning, and Putiin knows his history. :(

I’m a native Russian speaker. It’s accurate.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I believe one of the reasons there are so many Russian tank lines, is because some of them were intentionally designed to be shitter then other lines, and were then given to the various pact countries.

Also, while Soviet gear has a certain memeric reputation for reliability, equipment that is half a century old and probably has received very little, if any, maintenance and upkeep is going to break down. A lot. So that's another logistical strain to cope with.

Not a fun time to the Russian support bois right now.

:ukraine:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

56 tanks is a lot a lot so id want a couple other sources to verify things like that.

Jav op plz nerf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seeing conflicting reporting on Kharkiv.

52 minutes ago

https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1497710267446218752?s=21

19 minutes ago

https://twitter.com/stratcomcentre/status/1497718584159744000?s=21

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Direct link to the article. Sincerely. Read it.

https://twitter.com/EvgenyFeldman/status/1497716690116829188?t=uvH39WrwEA7sb1-R1JRMYQ&s=19

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

Click through the quoted tweet to get to the article, its loving wild.

To be explicit, it's a loving manifesto.

"Vladimir Putin has assumed, without a drop of exaggeration, a historic responsibility by deciding not to leave the solution of the Ukrainian question to future generations."

I would recommend people read it.

Jesus christ, please don't be true. That is an insane statement.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Ynglaur posted:

literally same language as how Holocaust is related "question" is translated in Russian.

Literally insane. I was so wrong about the guy. Thought he was a thief, not a genocider.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m also seeing several people saying that 3 columns of 500 tanks total are to attempt breaching Kyiv tonight, but there’s no attribution presented to that information.

Also, I’m not a Russian cavalry general, but forcing tanks into city with high rises and Western AT portables seems to be armour combat equivalent of licking your garage door handle in winter.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Jfc, I hope that just been subjugation politically.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Atreiden posted:

Jesus christ, please don't be true. That is an insane statement.

Yeah that article is basically 100% congruent with everything Putin has said so far. He's a weirdo about Russian Empire "National Greatness" and thinks he has to conquer Ukraine to restore the great historical russian empire.

Dude, she divorced you: let her go

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

the popes toes posted:

Well, at least the reparations are already banked.

To give to whom? A government in exile that will probably never come into power?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Guys, without further ado I would like to present you my 875 word thesis on why it is objectively incorrect to compare Putin to Hitler

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m also seeing several people saying that 3 columns of 500 tanks total are to attempt breaching Kyiv tonight, but there’s no attribution presented to that information.

Also, I’m not a Russian cavalry general, but forcing tanks into city with high rises and Western AT portables seems to be armour combat equivalent of licking your garage door handle in winter.

kyiv seems pretty спокойный atm on cams so I am not sure that is the angle of attack for tonight

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Paracausal posted:

New video highlighting and deconstructing Russia's clumsy efforts to manufacture a casus belli for this whole ordeal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awvpExxY-QM

This is good stuff.

Almost hilarious how low-effort it is. The destroyed Russian troop carrier claimed to be Ukrainian, the high def, purposefully framed shots with metadata showing different dates, the location of that one attack being literally in Russia except on the other side of the separatist controlled region.

The most hilarious one is the obviously-previously-delimbed guy with the visible prosthetic and incredibly unrealistic blood pretending like he just lost his leg somehow, right outside a tiny cabin they clearly just damaged and set on fire. That's so loving funny

pretty bangin track, ngl

:ukraine:

this is absolutely huge, and the longer the war drags on the huger it gets

Concerned Citizen posted:

china doesn't really have a choice there. they have to comply with us sanctions lest they themselves are sanctioned.

I don't see China getting sanctioned. Whatever global effects have been felt from the Russian sanctions, try to sanction China and the entire global economy will contract, instantly and fearfully.

More likely, it's just to China's favor to comply with the sanctions. It really doesn't help them at all to not do so, and while China and Russia are fellow autocrats and can be chummy, they are not straight up allies.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Guys, without further ado I would like to present you my 875 word thesis on why it is objectively incorrect to compare Putin to Hitler

I mean, is he doing this on purpose? It's kind of amazing how consistent the accusation-is-confession trope is proven right.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah Merkel would have absolutely done nothing in this situation and it's pretty ridiculous to pretend otherwise. She was a major part of the inertia in Germany foreign policy that everyone is have to overcome.

I remember visiting an art museum a few years ago where, in the gift shop, there was a line of dolls described as "historic girlbosses." There were something like 20 different ones, but these are the ones I remember:

- Angela Merkel
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Hillary Clinton
- Beyonce
- Oprah
- Coco Chanel
- Cleopatra
- Joan of Arc
- Madam C. J. Walker
- Rosa Parks
- Amelia Earhart

Anyway, for all of the respect Merkel garnered during her time leading Germany, her legacy seems pretty troubled. Between leaving Germany so vulnerable to Russian pressure (economically and through its terrible military) and the austerity measures during the great recession, it's pretty rough. Given her tenure I'm sure there was a lot (good or bad) that I don't know about, though.

Anyway, the clips of the oil depot fire in Vasilkova coming out right now are insane.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Telsa Cola posted:

Could be lumping in APCs and IFVs. Would still be one hell of an ambush though.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Please use bullet points
What a bizarre article, reading this through google translator is making me feel dirty.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Putin has gone crazy and the longer this goes the more Russians will see it, even with the state-controlled propaganda.

It will still take a few weeks for sanctions to really hit everyday life, Ukraine just needs to hold out.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m a native Russian speaker. It’s accurate.

gently caress. Truly, I'm trying not to clancypost, but NATO membership or no I hope we don't stand by if this becomes genocide. War is bad enough, but that... that would be even more terrible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VorpalBunny posted:

I mean, is he doing this on purpose? It's kind of amazing how consistent the accusation-is-confession trope is proven right.

Some of it is definitely intentional, to “own the libs”, but the overall theme of “reclaiming historical greatness” is as consistent as it is disturbing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

theghostpt posted:

Please use bullet points
What a bizarre article, reading this through google translator is making me feel dirty.

Yeah, as best I can figure the intent of "the ukrainian question" is the question of ukrainian independence, which to Russia shouldn't be a thing, not ukrainian existence.

It reads like a dude explaining why he had to kidnap his ex wife to force her to love him again

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Rad Russian posted:

Putin has gone crazy and the longer this goes the more Russians will see it, even with the state-controlled propaganda.

It will still take a few weeks for sanctions to really hit everyday life, Ukraine just needs to hold out.

Yea I would expect people are pissed

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

KitConstantine posted:

Apparently Russia is digging some vehicles out of mothballs. Can any tank guys verify the ids in the tweet

Stretched thin on equipment across three fronts or didn't have as much modern stuff as suspected?

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497712081759522820?t=QrW3_occsYk15yBN9BFUSg&s=19

Jesus, T-72As? Those were obsolete in the loving Gulf War.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Is this the essay Putin wrote in 2018 or so?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Report from the streets of Kyiv includes bonus comment by a local...

https://twitter.com/terrelljstarr/status/1497514654242910209?s=20&t=QD5O_d_OLi89hX9S4Ud2NA

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Jesus, T-72As? Those were obsolete in the loving Gulf War.

They are back! In the mobile target form!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Play posted:

I don't see China getting sanctioned. Whatever global effects have been felt from the Russian sanctions, try to sanction China and the entire global economy will contract, instantly and fearfully.

If there's any interest I could post anything from Chinese state media or policy statements on Ukraine, or some posts from social media - with the caveat that I doubt how they represent everybody's view. I wasn't sure if I could post that here, or in the China thread but I'd been leaning to the former.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, as best I can figure the intent of "the ukrainian question" is the question of ukrainian independence, which to Russia shouldn't be a thing, not ukrainian existence.

It reads like a dude explaining why he had to kidnap his ex wife to force her to love him again

Yeah just googling, the "the Ukrainian question" seems to be common enough formulation for Russia's imperialist struggle with Ukrainian independence that there are articles with that in the name and books and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How can I show Ukraine, my best ex ever, that I love her without violating the EU restraining order?