Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

Because their idea of leftism is just “america bad” and not any actual critical understanding of leftist theory beyond the summaries they get from youtube.

Yeah, I used to have to mod the tankie thread in PYF. it was mostly a rhetorical question as my head went to the desk. They’re the same people who praise the anti imperialist efforts of the IJA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

This is me stepping in to gently steer this thread away from circling jerking about how dumb CSPAM is and back towards more productive conversation.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Issue Letter of Marque and let Prize Courts deal with it

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Because I'm a masochist, I'm curious as to what Jeremy Corbyn's inevitably stupid take on this war is, but I haven't been able to find a decent source about what he's said (that isn't barking mad in one direction or the other). Anyone know a good source?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The big fish connected with Russia have been very quiet online imo

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

God DAMNIT, Reel big fish too?

E:oh

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I used to have to mod the tankie thread in PYF. it was mostly a rhetorical question as my head went to the desk. They’re the same people who praise the anti imperialist efforts of the IJA.

God drat I missed that thread it was hilarious.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497740197177532417

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I figure once Lukashenko kicks the bucket Putin and his cronies just want to straight up annex Belarus.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Tenchrono posted:

God DAMNIT, Reel big fish too?

E:oh

Sellouts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

I wonder what cspam’s thoughts on the Holodomor are.

Not having any context for a thread but I'm assuming its something along the lines of "Churchill did the same thing in India a few years later and nobody gives a gently caress so something else is up with anyone that brings it up".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They’re the same people who praise the anti imperialist efforts of the IJA.

This is not an exaggeration by the way. Whole bunch of people who argue the Empire of Japan was anti-imperialist. Not even counting the Japanese right wing!

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1497568972652302342

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

This is not an exaggeration by the way. Whole bunch of people who argue the Empire of Japan was anti-imperialist. Not even counting the Japanese right wing!

Clearly, they did a good number on the British empire and the little bits of America's attempt at having a colonial empire.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/billbrowder/status/1497728073785032706?s=21

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I wonder if capturing Chernobyl was something to do with this. Just crack the case and let nature do the rest.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

the solution of the Ukrainian question

Yo, the last time we had "the solution of the (insert Ethnic Group or Country Name here) question", things got hellaciously bad.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Seattle protest was great! 500-1000 people turned up—hard to tell from on the ground. A number of local representatives turned up to speak in support.

Kazinsal posted:

I wonder what cspam’s thoughts on the Holodomor are.
No making GBS threads you, there were a couple CSPAM posters invading the D&D thread about a month back who rabidly argued the "Holodomor" is an anti-Semitic attempt to associate a "famine that didn't occur, or, if it did, was the kulaks fault" with the Holocaust to mislead ignorant Westerners into supporting Ukrainian Nazis. The thread's Eastern Europeans proceeded to tear them apart.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I wonder if capturing Chernobyl was something to do with this. Just crack the case and let nature do the rest.

You can't blame that on the ukrainians :confused: To get the response they'd want, you'd have to attack some russian city.

Cherobyl was captured because it's on the way.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Unlikely, far more likely the capture of Chernobyl was more to do with the power substation still located in the area, as well as securing a road route for movement of equipment and personnel out of Belarus. Also have to remember to take things with a grain of salt, breathless extreme hyperbolic tweets are liable to be propaganda bullshit.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1497688642583683076?s=20

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Also on the reports of downed IL76s, decent chance to be propaganda bullshit unless there's video of a burning IL76 falling out of the sky, since a shootdown of one of those aircraft would be a big propaganda coup. It's really hard to hide 130 tons of aircraft hitting the ground and third party intel would have likely confirmed the downing of those aircraft if they crashed, because satellite imagery would have shown it. Not saying Ukrainian twitter is lying about IL-76 shootdowns, just, be cautious about taking it at its word.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

orange juche posted:

Also on the reports of downed IL76s, decent chance to be propaganda bullshit unless there's video of a burning IL76 falling out of the sky, since a shootdown of one of those aircraft would be a big propaganda coup. It's really hard to hide 130 tons of aircraft hitting the ground and third party intel would have likely confirmed the downing of those aircraft if they crashed, because satellite imagery would have shown it. Not saying Ukrainian twitter is lying about IL-76 shootdowns, just, be cautious about taking it at its word.

I thought there was confirmation from the US?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought there was confirmation from the US?

If the US has confirmed a shootdown, then yeah they probably got shot down then. When I saw the tweets it hadn't been substantiated by a third party yet.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

I don't believe four have been downed, not without hard evidence. But there seems to be evidence of at least one?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

orange juche posted:

If the US has confirmed a shootdown, then yeah they probably got shot down then. When I saw the tweets it hadn't been substantiated by a third party yet.

Supposedly AWACS operating over the Polish border saw it go in.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

orange juche posted:

Disregard. Also, if you see a picture of an Il-76 ball turret, it's probably from 2014: https://theaviationist.com/2022/02/26/two-il-76s-shot-down-in-ukraine/

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When Putin said Ukraine isn't a real country he didn't mean it in a nation-state sense, he meant it in a "this land will be uninhabitable" sense.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh, wonderful: https://thebulletin.org/2022/02/us-official-russian-invasion-of-ukraine-risks-release-of-dangerous-pathogens/

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is the third time I've posted this in this thread.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497430637166407686

The two IL-76s reported shot down yesterday were confirmed by the US via an AWACS on the Polish border.

Ukraine has reported today that two more IL-76s were shot down. These two have not been confirmed by the US at this time.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I understand shooting those down is a big deal, but how much of a big deal would a loss of 4 be?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Discussion Quorum posted:

Also: the Ukrainian defense is a shambles, the offensive is all going according to plan. See, this translated Soviet doctrine document I found will clear this all up.

That one's even better, because it's a 2016 Fort Leavenworth document analyzing Russian doctrine from a US perspective. The purpose is to instruct Americans and allies on how the west thinks Russia wants to fight. So if you read how that says it is supposed to go versus what is happening, you get what happens so often in any doctrine vs reality check. I mean, in US doctrine, you're not supposed to lose comms and get lost or bogged down in your convoy, but that poo poo happens plenty.

Instead they're just reading how it ought to go, then trying to find a way to confirm piecemeal highly imperfect tweets into "ah ha, this is all running perfectly. If anything, running out of fuel is a sign of too much Russian success!" Of course, plenty of pro-Ukraine people are taking it as a sign of success that random civilians are having to build molotov cocktails and running around with armbands on, which... well, it's not the same as instant capitulation, but it's not a great part of a modern defense...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I understand shooting those down is a big deal, but how much of a big deal would a loss of 4 be?

Imagine you’re trying to hammer a nail in a board but you hit your dick with the hammer.

Then you do it again.

Then you do it two more times.

The damage is the same every time but at some point people start wondering why you never learned to not hit your dick with a hammer.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If that's really a risk the labs should just burn all their samples before anything stupid happens. Any naturally occurring disease will be straightforward to reacquire and any of the esoteric BW poo poo should probably just go away for the good of mankind.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/mikenelson586/status/1497747583560667136?t=7N-QQ3WqKjWxV-MS4g2cCA&s=19

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Numbers-wise, not a huge deal. Something like a thousand or more Il-76s have been built.

Morale and manpower wise? I think the estimate is that an average of 150 paratroopers or so can fit into an Il-76 with the ability to drop materiel as well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pine Cone Jones posted:

The Russian Air Force has hundreds of them.

How many are flightworthy is the real question.

In this particular case the loss of the paratroopers and pilots are more valuable physically and metaphysically as they can't be readily replaced.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

That would be two big deals.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ukraine has claimed something wild like 5 or more IL-76s or something since this kicked off, there should be an absolute poo poo ton of photo proof that can have the metadata verified of these shoot downs. I'd be cautious even trusting the AP in a fog of war situation unless they disclose their sources for their report. Everyone's after clicks and engagement because Ukraine is the hottest scoop on the planet right now, and if you can rush to post the headline first you get that engagement.

This is the first war in a long time that has had a clear-cut "Bad Guy" and so everyone is breathlessly reporting on it, even moreso than usual.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pine Cone Jones posted:

There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again.