Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Virigoth posted:

Was that the highly advertised Muslim Chechen spec ops?

They were teased as a major Arc antagonist but ended up being jobbers

I can't think of anything more anime than some fat bearded guy's personal thugs LARPING as special forces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hump day bitches! posted:

I find the extra thick soles of a pair of Prada combat boots funny as, however, this guy is the leader of a Chechen militia. Definately has plenty of bodies on his record.

Yeah military leaders being fancy little lads is pretty common. Hell, look at Goehring and Patton from WW2 with their personally designed uniforms and bejewled accessories. But I don't think anyone would suggest that they weren't also very dangerous people

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Nessus posted:

Is he the one that maybe got killed?

Kadyrov? No shot he's anywhere near Ukraine. It was some underling of his that allegedly got iced, a general.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Given all of the reports about the air force and militia efforts, it seems like we have comparatively little info about what Ukraine's ground army has been doing. All I think we know is:

- Some portion of it is in Kyiv in the north and helped take back the Hostomel airport from the air assault force at the beginning, although I think Russia has now captured it. Presumably it's now helping defend the city itself.
- Some portion of it is in Kharkiv and Sumy in the northeast and has successfully repelled attempts to capture those cities so far.
- Some portion of it is in the south, with known fighting around Kherson.
- Some portion of it is hitting rear units of the Russian advance at various points in the country, trying to disrupt supply chains.
- A lot (most?) of it is in far east doing a staredown with a considerable Russian force in DPR/LPR that has yet to advance. Those forces appear to be too far away from Kyiv to relieve it from encirclement any time soon even if they were to withdraw now.

I don't think we've heard anything about Ukranian ground units in the entire western half of the nation (although there's also no ground invasion forces coming from that direction either, so it's possible there's very little being kept there in reserve).

The southern angle seems like where Russia is making the most progress including the capture of Melitopol, a city of ~150,000 people. Whether they're heading to Kyiv to complete the encirclement or to flank the Ukrainian units on the eastern front, that makes me worried.

Also, we've seen a lot of reports that Russia has committed around half of its planned invasion force at this point. I wonder how much of the remainder is the units on the eastern front. This feels like an optimistic take, though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Virigoth posted:

We can but hope.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Anyone know what group this is?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Seems like people are waking up, or at least posting again

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497766093150117897?t=s9y2Z7agav9MdQF9wu7v8Q&s=19

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Interesting question above, at least for an American who's not very familiar with the inner workings of the EU. How likely does this make the EU create its own defense apparatus in parallel (coordination?) with NATO? Or do the 6 EU-non-NATO countries just go "gently caress it" and join NATO?

Latter is much easier than the former. Within EU there’s a sizeable and influential faction against broader European integration (federalisation), which got weakened by Brexit, but maintains enough punch to derail an EU Army. Even if they didn’t exist, there’s a fairly broad spread in European attitudes on military spending, so the smaller joint initiatives that veer towards military, like Frontex, end up being poorly executed.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, he's the boss above said dead general

gently caress this thread moves too fast.

I'm mainly reading the updates of more knowledgeable people so I truly do not know if this guy is the gigachad of chechen spec ops ( is that a thing?) but the "our enemies are degenerate fashionistas unwilling to go down into mud and fight our virile boys barechested" thing of that previous tweet irks me the wrong way.

Goehring was a massive prick, and lied his rear end off regarding the Stanlingrad air resupply but he was also an ace and brave dude.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 27, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/abughazalehkat/status/1497768813860896770?s=20&t=j3fwcdl43AS_1DmjyG68Mg

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Virigoth posted:

Supposedly.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah, but Putin is not short of tanks. If the war nerds are to be believed, it is doctrine to waste lower value units and hardware to probe and attrit. The attrit thing doesn't look really good for Ukraine. And while the NATO supply corridor is going to make it simply impossible for an occupation that Putin could live with, are the Ukrainians going to be driving KIA's all over the place to establish positions? Against armor? Man. Their bravery is inspiring.

And if anyone can answer? Where is Ukraine's armor?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Urals bunker is a Tom Clancy thing, no one posting that knows where are the current government hideouts of Russia.

Belarus is a dictatorship worse than Russia, and already quite sanctioned. They’ll get more eventually, but it’s will be a lower priority thing.

Thanks for clarifying. Does the West & NATO have no idea where Putin is or could be then? Russia is huge so it would be understandable but I imagine there must surely be an ongoing and determined effort to try and map out his hiding holes? I think the main opposition leader in Russia (I forget his name now) exposed some of Putin's wealth to the public by flying drones over one of his fancy homes, so it would be interesting to know how far intel goes in that regard and if Putin can truly vanish and be untraceable at will.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Greg of Doom posted:

Anyone know what group this is?

it literally says who on the shirt?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i don't read cyrillic but i also don't think that's the world heath organization

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

https://youtu.be/HbmZrzN3WFE

You know what, I think I’ll take this guy over shirtless Putin fishing or whatever macho bullshit he likes to project.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Whatever happens at the end of this, someone is going to write the most unbelievable biography of all time. I hope Zelenskyy is alive to participate and add a few more stories after this invasion is over because goddamn.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

drat. He was really good.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

surf rock posted:

- A lot (most?) of it is in far east doing a staredown with a considerable Russian force in DPR/LPR that has yet to advance. Those forces appear to be too far away from Kyiv to relieve it from encirclement any time soon even if they were to withdraw now.

Also, we've seen a lot of reports that Russia has committed around half of its planned invasion force at this point. I wonder how much of the remainder is the units on the eastern front. This feels like an optimistic take, though.

JFO (Donbas) headcount was 60k before invasion. We have no information what’s their current status.

There’s a wide variety of takes on Russian commitment. Some say that 50-60% are deployed, others say that there’s maybe 10-20k remaining of actually deployable stuff, with rest being support personnel of various flavours. No good way to tell who’s right or wrong here.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zelensky is more of a man than I could ever be, and I'm fine with that.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

If this happens I would not consider it to be a threat since Russia has subs capable of launching nukes all around the world right now, and so does the West. I think this is probably just more of a "You belong to us" type of move? I'm surprised Belarus hasn't been sanctioned to hell and back already but they really need to face consequences as well. I think a concentrated effort of "You align with Putin, you face the same consequences" should be enforced and if so many Russians have taken to the streets, maybe it might ignite something in Belarus as well? I've no idea how bad things are there but I'm assuming it's not quite as bad as Russia?

It's actually at least as bad, maybe worse in Belarus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_issues_related_to_the_suppression_of_the_2020_Belarusian_protests
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_related_to_the_2020_Belarusian_protests

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Interesting question above, at least for an American who's not very familiar with the inner workings of the EU. How likely does this make the EU create its own defense apparatus in parallel (coordination?) with NATO? Or do the 6 EU-non-NATO countries just go "gently caress it" and join NATO?

There will probably be more talks about a more integrated pan-EU defense, but I think we are still far from an EU army. As for joining NATO, from what I've read and seen, it seems like the idea is becoming more popular in Finland and Sweden. Austria can't join as far as I know, they have to remain neutral according to their constitution and the Austrian State Treaty. Ireland, Malta and Cyprus I don't know enough about.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Trump posted:

Europe already have all kinds of different military frameworks. There is the EU battlegroup, the Franco-German Brigade/Eurocorps, the Combined Joint Expeditionary Force (french and british) etc.

But this is going to change everything. I even see Denmark joining in on the EU Battlegroup.

I hadn't read about those before. Thanks! Are the national units that comprise the EU battlegroups also part of NATO structures (for those countries in both), or are they wholly separate parts of their countries' respective militaries?

Edit because this thread moves fast:

TulliusCicero posted:

They were teased as a major Arc antagonist but ended up being jobbers

:discourse:

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 27, 2022

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I mentioned it earlier but larger scale exercises like the old REFORGER are probably coming back in some form or anotther.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1497776719855591431

This is pretty wild, he's still live tweeting intelligence. I wonder how Russia feels knowing they're comms are severely compromised.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Cool job you badass.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Ynglaur posted:

I hadn't read about those before. Thanks! Are the national units that comprise the EU battlegroups also part of NATO structures (for those countries in both), or are they wholly separate parts of their countries' respective militaries?

I don't think NATO have standing formations any more? They were disbanded after the Cold War.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i agree with you but where did fuckface say by monday? because it wont be taken by monday unless they go full super war crimes and even then i sorta doubt it.

It's essentially unverified tweets all the way down on this one.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

the popes toes posted:

Yeah, but Putin is not short of tanks. If the war nerds are to be believed, it is doctrine to waste lower value units and hardware to probe and attrit. The attrit thing doesn't look really good for Ukraine. And while the NATO supply corridor is going to make it simply impossible for an occupation that Putin could live with, are the Ukrainians going to be driving KIA's all over the place to establish positions? Against armor? Man. Their bravery is inspiring.

Short of Russian forces stopping every car and searching the boot for Javelin missiles and MANPADs, driving around in civilian vehicles would be pretty viable for keeping an insurgency movement armed.

Like there's car driving around all over the place now that aren't being checked, who's to say they aren't full of materiel for forces operating behind the front lines attacking supply columns?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Tomn posted:

https://youtu.be/HbmZrzN3WFE

You know what, I think I’ll take this guy over shirtless Putin fishing or whatever macho bullshit he likes to project.

This video needs to be the only thing Putin can access on the internet.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
https://twitter.com/Yair_Rosenberg/status/1497766394653458434

Not sure if this is in Kyiv or where.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hump day bitches! posted:

gently caress this thread moves too fast.

I'm mainly reading the updates of more knowledgeable people so I truly do not know if this guy is the gigachad of chechen spec ops ( is that a thing?) but the "our enemies are degenerate fashionistas unwilling to go down into mud and fight our virile boys barechested" thing of that previous tweet irks me the wrong way.

Goehring was a massive prick, and lied his rear end off regarding the Stanlingrad air resupply but he was also an ace and brave dude.

Kadyrov is a new money warlord, so he’s simply tacky in private life. He’s killed and tortured plenty personally, and his private army will give plenty of PMCs run for their money. There are some practical reasons to why Putin enables that piece of poo poo.

Classical dancing is very popular in Eastern Europe. Source: yours truly has 9 years of tournament medals and diplomas.

the popes toes posted:

This is one thing some analysts note - Ukrainian mechanised forces haven’t really engaged yet. They’re biding their time for whatever Ukrainian strategists have decided, and are cautious about exposing themselves to Russian air and indirect fire.

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for clarifying. Does the West & NATO have no idea where Putin is or could be then? Russia is huge so it would be understandable but I imagine there must surely be an ongoing and determined effort to try and map out his hiding holes? I think the main opposition leader in Russia (I forget his name now) exposed some of Putin's wealth to the public by flying drones over one of his fancy homes, so it would be interesting to know how far intel goes in that regard and if Putin can truly vanish and be untraceable at will.

US probably knows where the modern strategic bunkers are. Random pundits definitely don’t. Forget about mansions, those are just meant for gaudy photo ops.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

This is pretty wild, he's still live tweeting intelligence. I wonder how Russia feels knowing they're comms are severely compromised.

If their orders is to start leveling Ukr cities block by block, then yeah, they should think hard about it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

I know this is completely not the point you were making, but drat it I hate folks misusing life expectancy like this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

i dislike rubio alot but his tweets about this have been interesting at least. only good thing he ever did politicaly.

anyway. i think russia is about to probably do some really bad war crime poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 27, 2022

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Classical dancing is very popular in Eastern Europe. Source: yours truly has 9 years of tournament medals and diplomas.

is it more popular than country music

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

"thank you mr rubio for telling us exactly where our leaks are"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Greg of Doom posted:

Cool job you badass.

sorry, it appears to be lifestomper enterprises

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Are we sure this isn’t a Ukrainian propaganda deepfake to demoralize Russian dancing brigades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If Putin decides it's time to purge the officer corps that will probably not help him conquer Ukraine, I recall Stalin had some similar issues.