Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Probably some dumb poo poo directed by the Kremlin, but hey!

Belarus referendum approves proposal to renounce non-nuclear status - agencies

Reuters posted:

Feb 27 (Reuters) - A referendum in Belarus on Sunday approved a new constitution ditching the country's non-nuclear status at a time when the former Soviet republic has become a launch pad for Russian troops invading Ukraine, Russian news agencies said.

The agencies cited the Belarus central elections commission as saying 65.2% of those who took part voted in favor. The result came as little surprise, given the tightly controlled rule of President Alexander Lukashenko.

The new constitution could see nuclear weapons on Belarusian soil for the first time since the country gave them up after the fall of the Soviet Union.

It raises the stakes at a time when Lukashenko has fallen behind Russian President Vladimir Putin's military assault on Ukraine after earlier playing an intermediary role between the two neighbours.

The West has already said it will not recognise the results of the referendum, which is taking place against the background of a sweeping crackdown on domestic opponents of the government. According to human rights activists, as of Sunday, there were more than a thousand political prisoners in Belarus.

The referendum sparked anti-war protests in several cities. At least 290 people were detained, rights activists said.

Protests had largely died down in Belarus after Lukashenko launched a violent crackdown on dissent against his 28-year-long rule. Mass protests had erupted in 2020 following a disputed election that opponents say Lukashenko rigged.

On Sunday, speaking at a polling station, Lukashenko said he could ask Russia to return nuclear weapons to Belarus.

"If you (the West) transfer nuclear weapons to Poland or Lithuania, to our borders, then I will turn to Putin to return the nuclear weapons that I gave away without any conditions," Lukashenko said.

Lukashenko turned to Russia after the 2020 protests, securing loans that offset the effect of Western sanctions.

His rival in the 2020 vote, exiled opposition leader Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya, had called on Belarusians to use the vote to protest against the invasion.

In videos and photos posted on social media, people gathered at polling stations in Minsk and other cities to protest.

"There is little we can do now, with all this terror and horror in which we live. But I wouldn't forgive myself if I didn't try to do something," said Elena, 45. She declined to provide more personal information for security reasons.

The new constitution would give powers to the All-Belarusian People's Assembly, created by Lukashenko and populated by party loyalists, local councils, officials and activists of pro-government organizations.

It would also give lifetime immunity from prosecution to the president once he left office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Xakura posted:

Isn't that a meaningless comparison? One unit of my currency is less valuable than one tf2 crate key, but more valuable than one unit of japanese yen.

That's on an individual level, so one ruble is currently lower in value than one Robux. A real world currency is worth less than funbux kids use to buy poo poo in a game. Imagine if the dollar was worth less than a token from Chuck E. Cheese.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kbd4d/roblox-currency-robux-is-outperforming-the-ruble

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

If the Ukraine invasion is any rubric, the ICBMs headed for the states would run out of gas halfway over the ocean.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jokers Gamble posted:

That's on an individual level, so one ruble is currently lower in value than one Robux. A real world currency is worth less than funbux kids use to buy poo poo in a game. Imagine if the dollar was worth less than a token from Chuck E. Cheese.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kbd4d/roblox-currency-robux-is-outperforming-the-ruble

Then I'd be living off my wife's Skee-Ball skills.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nullscan posted:

If the Ukraine invasion is any rubric, the ICBMs headed for the states would run out of gas halfway over the ocean.

Consistent with ballistic launches though sadly.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jokers Gamble posted:

Yes but the size of the base unit is arbitrary. A dollar is worth less than the funbux kids use to buy poo poo in TF2, that doesn't mean anything for the US economy.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Looks like another Ukrainian boxer is in the mix. A bunch of his haters were calling him a coward and that he had fled to Greece for asylum. Now they are saying he’s still there to duck his next fight. Boxing fans are idiots.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1497990146909745153

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The mexican peso is only worth like, a nickel. One South Korean Won is $0.00083 US, it takes 1000 of them to make 83¢. It's not uncommon for 1 of a currency to be worth gently caress all, because we're used to the dollar supremacy.

Don't buy rubles though. Unless you're that guy from your unit that bought dinar and in that case, go hog wild, let us know when you give up on making money on it.

E: lol so that's where all the ACUs went.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Belarus joining the war.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A Swedish krona, worth a US dime, is 100 öre. They haven't bothered making öre coins in any denomination since 2010. I used to have a 1-öre coin when I was a teenager, but I haven't seen it in years.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

nullscan posted:

Yet another Goldeneye reference.

"It will burn up somewhere over the Atlantic. :smug:"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Naked Bear posted:

Belarus joining the war.

Got a source?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A Swedish krona, worth a US dime, is 100 öre. They haven't bothered making öre coins in any denomination since 2010. I used to have a 1-öre coin when I was a teenager, but I haven't seen it in years.

Remind me of some of the weird British sub denominations they used to have like a farthing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The mexican peso is only worth like, a nickel. One South Korean Won is $0.00083 US, it takes 1000 of them to make 83¢. It's not uncommon for 1 of a currency to be worth gently caress all, because we're used to the dollar supremacy.

25 years ago when I was in Russia, the exchange rate was about 6:1. Now it's 85:1. That's a big difference.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Stultus Maximus posted:

25 years ago when I was in Russia, the exchange rate was about 6:1. Now it's 85:1. That's a big difference.

Oh absolutely. But that is the point to make, not "it's now worth less than [arbitrary measure]"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Someone ate a groverpasta in the GBS thread lol

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Xakura posted:

Oh absolutely. But that is the point to make, not "it's now worth less than [arbitrary measure]"

I just thought it was a funny headline man, I'll leave the economics to the experts.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, that's a big difference, but it's not going back to 6:1 any time soon either. To think it will, is powerful Iraqi dinar energy.

Foreign money discussion always reminds me of that scene in We're The Millers where Luis Guzmán is shaking them down for $20 or a blowjob.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Got a source?
This appears to be changing by the minute; it's not confirmed, sorry.

https://kyivindependent.com/national/reports-suggest-belarus-prepares-to-send-its-troops-to-ukraine-joining-putin-in-war/

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bees everywhere posted:

Even if there was one, I doubt anyone got to use it. My 1st deployment we lost a whole crew of an M1114 when they went off the road into a small creek, and their gun hatch was wide open.

gently caress

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I can’t think of any group of soldiers with lower moral than troops from a satellite state of Russia being tossed into the grinder.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

TheWeedNumber posted:

gently caress

Yeah that's straight nightmare material. That's why I tell people I could never be a submariner or a pilot/crew. At least as infantry, if you get hit, you don't fall thousands of feet and explode or get crushed by massive ocean pressure. For some reason the concept of that really freaks me out.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The laws of physics just don't give a gently caress about heart.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jokers Gamble posted:

Yeah that's straight nightmare material. That's why I tell people I could never be a submariner or a pilot/crew. At least as infantry, if you get hit, you don't fall thousands of feet and explode or get crushed by massive ocean pressure. For some reason the concept of that really freaks me out.

Honestly submariners have it better in some ways than regular mariners - if the pressure hull gets breached, you're guaranteed a quick death. You go in the drink from a surface ship, and I guarantee you an incredibly unpleasant death, whether its fast or slow.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Honestly submariners have it better in some ways than regular mariners - if the pressure hull gets breached, you're guaranteed a quick death. You go in the drink from a surface ship, and I guarantee you an incredibly unpleasant death, whether its fast or slow.

Yeah, gently caress all that poo poo. I'll keep my feet on the ground.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nah I agree with bullet sponge, it's wrong.

worse yet you guys train to prolong your death by attempting to fix hull beaches.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1498005235457003527?t=bOLj26KkcvLWZQoEF93wyw&s=19

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Submariners live with a fate worse than death.

Forgetting their shower shoes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

gently caress.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Someone ate a groverpasta in the GBS thread lol
Post # link for those of us who don't touch the poop?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Seems unwise to send paratroopers with even lower morale but what do I know

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
RIP in advance

F

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Submariners live with a fate worse than death.

Forgetting their shower shoes.

Jellyfish don’t sting in submarines.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993948&perpage=40&noseen=1&userid=164451&pagenumber=3#post521776592

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wasabi the J posted:

Nah I agree with bullet sponge, it's wrong.

worse yet you guys train to prolong your death by attempting to fix hull beaches.

For realsies tho, who hasn't gone diving in the bilge with water up to the deck plates trying to close a seawater valve?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Lmao

Mine was better

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

For those of you wondering if Belarus is going to join:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1498128760075431946?t=ijgyE10HhN8L77cwlvvLFg&s=19

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Given the impressive Ukrainian PR war, with picture after picture of bombed out Russian convoys, the heroic Ukrainian soldiers, and the very real evidence that Russia is not having the time they expected it is going to be emotionally devastating when Russia pours on the strategic bombers and just steamrolls everything and kills everyone. Dammit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

How nice of the trash to come in their own dumpster.

Now here's a good molotov target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/MENA_Conflict/status/1498093228679069696