Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

theghostpt posted:

Nice spaceballs cosplay.

Is there any confirmation if those rumored peace talks have started?

The BBC News website reported at 11:05 that talks had started, take that for what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Just give the drones to all the Ukrainian gamers who got the Elden Ring launch ruined by the invasion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

Lmao, can't hold a candle to Tactical Baerbock

STALKER / Mirror's Edge crossover looking sketchy

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

FishMcCool posted:

Just give the drones to all the Ukrainian gamers who got the Elden Ring launch ruined by the invasion.

lol

There would be desolation and charred bodies all the way to the Kremlin.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I'd like to post here this fantastic 90's Italian commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-3igoswexQ

I should send it to the Ukrainian government, at least they'd have a chuckle.

:jeb:"Mother Russia!"
:chanpop:"What Russia? This is Ukraine"
:jeb:"but Ukraine is Russia"
:chanpop:"Ukraine is Ukraine"

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 28, 2022

szary
Mar 12, 2014
https://twitter.com/AlbanianTimes/status/1497567066831790082

No idea if this has been already posted, but some wholesome content anyway

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
The TASS Russian news website, before it was taken offline:

Dear citizens. We urge you to stop this madness, do not send your sons and husbands to certain death. Putin makes us lie and puts us in danger. We were isolated from the whole world, they stopped buying oil and gas. In a few years we will live like in North Korea. What is it for us? To put Putin in the textbooks? This is not our war, let's stop it!

This message will be deleted, and some of us will be fired or even jailed. But we can't take it anymore.

Indifferent journalists of Russia.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/BarracudaVol1/status/1498253048526917634

Some more AA hopelessly stuck in mud it seems.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

szary posted:

https://twitter.com/AlbanianTimes/status/1497567066831790082

No idea if this has been already posted, but some wholesome content anyway

Apparently that is years old.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Budzilla posted:

Not verified. Also look at thread :nms:

https://twitter.com/AceJaceu/status/1497998439828926470

Erdogan is a piece of poo poo but if these drones clown Russian forces i hate him a little less.

Drones are loving scary. As far as the invaders are concerned their poo poo just exploded without any warning. I don't know how you can stay in a war theatre with active enemy drones, you'd have the constant thought that one is up there somewhere with a lock on you... ready for a push of a button to annihilate you instantly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The E-3s orbiting over Poland must be very useful for Ukraine, but what about jamming? Is it an act of war for a few Growlers to send some loud photons?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Serves Russia right for invading Russia in winter.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

selfish question: did russia or japan block eachothers airlines yet? my wife has to fly home, i already told her to consider rebooking through the middle east to avoid russia

They have not, but I would have serious second thoughts about flying over Russia right now, and certainly not any flight path that put me anywhere close to Russia's western border. IMHO rebook with Qatar or Turkish, don't end up like those Ukrainians that the Iranians shot down a couple years ago.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/gingerblokeblog/status/1498262136996384768

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Russia getting bodied on the social media front is especially confusing given that Putin and the global right/reactionaries absolutely understands the power of memes/social engagement.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ola posted:

The E-3s orbiting over Poland must be very useful for Ukraine, but what about jamming? Is it an act of war for a few Growlers to send some loud photons?

I don't really see how it could be argued as anything other than actively engaging in war. Also, 'growler' is a loving funny name for a plane considering what it's slang for.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Xachariah posted:

Drones are loving scary. As far as the invaders are concerned their poo poo just exploded without any warning. I don't know how you can stay in a war theatre with active enemy drones, you'd have the constant thought that one is up there somewhere with a lock on you... ready for a push of a button to annihilate you instantly.

I don't know much about how they operate, I assume they must be a kilometer or so up so they can't be seen or heard.

Are they too slow to effectively engage with cannon fire from fast jets? Presumably something that small gives off gently caress all radar reflection for targeting with radar guided missiles and the heat signature from a pissant little engine can't be easy for a heat seeking missle to aim at.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
A naive question, I'm sure, but: so it's obviously taken as given that direct NATO–Russian contact would be a disaster in terms of the violence unleashed. Yet, I find it almost absurd that both sides are comparatively more chilled about indirect violence – arming of intermediaries, intelligence sharing etc – when the outcome is essentially the same, if not on the same scale.

It's like Russia can be all "the consequences will be apocalyptic if you get involved so don't you loving dare, but if you want to give some arms to these other guys to help them kill us... eh, if you must". And vice versa

Is it just a weird 'loophole' in war diplomacy where everyone just pretends that 'this is fine' because the alternative would be much much worse? I appreciate that this is how 99% of the Cold War functioned too, but it just seems mildly bewildering that international relations can function in this way.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Watched a clip of Putin giving a speech with his Generals and he said something like "And these sanctions, which everyone knows are illegal, are ..." and I thought how that sounded Trumpian.

Is this the merdes touch again? Everyone who gets into business with Trump gets hosed eventually.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Crossposting from the UK thread. Russia is specifically using Truss as an excuse to escalate nuclear tensions

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1497936839164010499

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Do not invade kievan rus in winter in spring in summer in fall

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

Russia getting bodied on the social media front is especially confusing given that Putin and the global right/reactionaries absolutely understands the power of memes/social engagement.

You cant really power through every single Ukrainian grandpa having a smartphone at ready

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

That's their latest and greatest AA too, what little post-cold war kit they have and meant to be good at taking down drones

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Pantsoff more like.

Sorry, I can't sustain srsposting forever.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I'll take it as a good sign the talks are taking this long.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Can't wait for some Ukrainian farmer drinking his vodka potion to get max bravery level to get the tractor out his shed and tow the Pantsir away. Some NATO boys will be happy to buy it off of him for science.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
$15 million system defeated by mud

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

fuctifino posted:

Crossposting from the UK thread. Russia is specifically using Truss as an excuse to escalate nuclear tensions

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1497936839164010499

Yeah this morning it sounded like Ben Wallace the defence secretary was doing the rounds denying half the things Liz Truss said yesterday. If anyone inadvertently starts a nuclear war here it will definitely be the UK.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dwesa posted:

$15 million system defeated by mud

tbf that's like 15 million rubles of mud

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

FizFashizzle posted:

There were mentions of social media increasingly restricting Russia's known disinfo sources on social media (the ones originating from Russia itself) after 2016 and I think RT and Sputnik have also been partially blocked in the west, so it could be that we are simply not being exposed to Russian propaganda as much as before, while Ukrainian pieces are trending.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Russians, repeatedly saved from invasion by brutal winters, are now getting owned by an early spring.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

That mud has to be a huge help to the Ukrainians. Leaving Russian units unable to maneuver across open ground and confining them to the roads would neutralise some of the numerical advantage they have, and it must be making hunting easier for the drone operators if they only have to look up and down the main roads for targets.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1498214047027765256
:finland::hf::ukraine:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Lol that Putin delayed the invasion by two weeks to show up biden only to have his park freeze disappear as soon he sends tanks across the border

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Confirmation of civilian casualties in the recent bombardment of Kharkiv:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1498266082536312839

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Answers Me posted:

A naive question, I'm sure, but: so it's obviously taken as given that direct NATO–Russian contact would be a disaster in terms of the violence unleashed. Yet, I find it almost absurd that both sides are comparatively more chilled about indirect violence – arming of intermediaries, intelligence sharing etc – when the outcome is essentially the same, if not on the same scale.

It's like Russia can be all "the consequences will be apocalyptic if you get involved so don't you loving dare, but if you want to give some arms to these other guys to help them kill us... eh, if you must". And vice versa

Is it just a weird 'loophole' in war diplomacy where everyone just pretends that 'this is fine' because the alternative would be much much worse? I appreciate that this is how 99% of the Cold War functioned too, but it just seems mildly bewildering that international relations can function in this way.

Check out the RAND report (https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB10014.html)

Geopolitical Cost-Imposing Options: Provide lethal aid to Ukraine
Likelihood of Success in Extending Russia: MODERATE
Benefits: HIGH
Costs and Risks: HIGH

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
If this conflict did go nuclear, what's the most likely way that would occur? Tactical strike in Ukraine? What would NATO's response be? We couldn't charge in, because that would get us nuked too, right? Just keep doing what we're doing?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

One thing that's surprised me so far is how quiet Joe Biden has been in all of this, you might have thought as "Leader of the free world" and America's major role in NATO that he would become the state figurehead in all this.

But so far the EU, and in particular Ursula von der Leyen, seems to have been stealing all the limelight and be seen to be making all the big decisions.

Dont get me wrong, I think that's a good thing, but I find it striking none the less.

StarBegotten fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 28, 2022

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Answers Me posted:

I'm fully aware that we're in 'It's too late for anything else' territory now, but 'what if our international empires and trading blocs were even bigger and more polarised' is only kicking the can down the road, and will likely lead to bigger catastrophes and/or a shitload of collateral damage in the meantime. People like to read this situation like it's a Cold War speed run but I'm picking up more 'eve of WW1' vibes in terms of imperial powers butting heads and getting themselves into messes that can't be cleaned up.

wrong war; if you want the sanctions->war between global powers speedrun, the 1940 economic sanctions against Japan for its occupation of French Indochina is a better fit

quote:

But the ploy worked, and on Friday, July 25, FDR announced Executive Order No. 8832. The executive order, which came into effect the next day, froze Japanese-owned American dollars in their bank accounts and prevented the acquisition of more dollars. Great Britain and the Dutch Indies soon followed, further increasing Japan’s trade isolation. On Monday, July 28, when the bankers and traders returned to work, both countries saw immediate changes to their financial markets. International bank branches in both countries closed. Japanese silk futures were suspended, and stocks for firms producing rayon (a silk substitute) rose. Soon after the executive order was issued, negotiations between the two countries centered on thawing the financial freeze. The Department of State remained resolute in its enforcement of the freeze, restricting licenses for trade down to the bare legal essentials, such as allowing for the fulfillment of pre-freeze orders and granting Japanese ships dollars in order to return to their home country. Japanese officials and merchants pursued alternative schemes and loopholes to get around the sanctions, but none worked. Although Japan had stockpiled a significant amount of gold before 1941, it was not allowed to cash it in at the U.S. Treasury for dollars, and U.S. traders were prohibited from purchasing the gold because of the Trading with the Enemy Act.

In order to properly understand the effect the financial freeze had on Japan, one must understand the ideology behind the Japanese expansion. To the Japanese, their imperial conquest was vital in order to form what was disingenuously called the “Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.” Since the days of the Russo-Japanese War and the origins of War Plan Orange, Japan sought to become a legitimate Great Power. In Japan’s eyes, the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity sphere would “contribute to world peace.” According to historian Michael A. Barnhart, “The United States was what Japan wanted to be—rich in resources, internally strong, and dependent on no one.” Japan had learned from Germany in World War I that nations needed to have economic prosperity and independence in the new age of total warfare, where all forms of production, expertise, and skill must be mobilized against the enemy. A sudden freeze on dollars and petroleum could ruin Japan’s whole plan. As Matsuoka said in January 1941 in response to his American counterpart Hull, “The United States has evinced no adequate understanding of the fact that the establishment of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere is a life-or-death requirement for Japan.” Japan believed that it had as much right as the United States to, in the style of Alfred Thayer Mahan, establish military posts across the Pacific for its own defense.

Clearly, FDR and his cabinet did not realize that Japan would push back against the financial freeze. According to historian Jonathan Utley, the freeze was optimistically meant to be “a final warning, designed to bring Japan to its senses, not its knees.” In possibly the greatest strategic blunder on the American side, American officials never truly imagined that Japan would attack the United States. ...

A swathe of similarities - retaliation against a widely denounced invasion amidst the widely-accepted incapacity of the United League of Nations on the issue, steep measures due to perceived lack of effectiveness of uncoordinated sanctions on earlier invasions (Manchurian crisis), focus on completely freezing financial options including stockpiled reserves intended to mitigate future sanctions, an asymmetric sense of the impacts of sanctions in Japan (desperate for American oil and steel to sustain its ongoing wars) and the US (to whom it was just more financial engineering)

nonetheless, to be clear, this is of limited relevance from a pre-nuclear world (and more importantly a pre-MFN world - economic sanctions were a lot deadlier before the global GATT system), but if insofar is one is searching for historic analogies, there it is

ronya fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Grandmother told me how hellish it was to be even on the friendly side of Katyusha fire in Stalingrad, thank god she is not alive to see this.