Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Now is that just killed or killed, wounded, missing and captured?

Killed only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just the fact that Ukranian artillery is still doing missions is incredible. The potential of Russian forces to do overwhelming counter-battery fire anywhere in theatre is something people have been fretting about for years. You don't even have to hold back when doing counter-battery, just hit the grid square.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1498360815245615104

Not sure if offering roubles is compelling today.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't get why those drones are flying around Russian assets. You'd think they would be sitting ducks for just about any sort of AA, does the Ukrainian military have something in their arsenal that that makes running radar a risky prospect?

As others have said the drones are small, made of fiberglass and composites so they are hard to detect. Also Ukraine likely has anti-radiation missiles still and Russia does not have air superiority so running radar would make a big glaring target. The Russian radar is likely out of theater in Russian and/or Belarus where it is safer.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008

TheSpamalope posted:

said it in another thread already but it really annoys me that this idiot put himself there intentionally for his youtube channel and then took a seat that was much needed for the actual residents of the country.

And this guy has been well revealed to be a former PUA who used to brag on PUA forums about dodging a rape charge and how to trick women in Eastern Europe into sex. He's done quite the job of trying to cover this up over the years, but once you know, the tendencies are quite obvious in his videos.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know we shouldn't take the Ukrainian numbers at face value but let's assume the 5K number is halved to 2.5k soldiers killed, isn't losing 2.5% of your operational force before you have even conquered a major city a major loss in terms of man power?

Western sources are claiming based on their intel sources it’s pretty accurate.

Which oh boy.

Makes me wonder about ukr loses though.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Holy gently caress Russia. What does this achieve?

https://twitter.com/Beliakova_P/status/1498371265094107137?t=z85oVi02_i6BiHvQWZyh_A&s=19

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

khwarezm posted:

Now is that just killed or killed, wounded, missing and captured?

Killed. Note that the 4.5K that others are corroborating today is what Ukraine reported over the weekend, so it may just be lagging. Yes, in information warfare there's incentive to inflate your side's numbers, but if you're doing well, there's also an incentive to just post the real numbers.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BigRoman posted:

I don't think Ukraine can win a conventional war against Russia either, especially if Russia decides to just start bombing their cities to rubble. That said, the Russian federalization plan is just the death of the Ukrainian state by other means. I can imagine a promise not to join NATO, but I can't imagine the Ukrainian government agreeing to that.

Yeah, I agree. It may be something that negotiators can whittle down to where it's less ruinous to the government's ability to govern, some sort of "federalization in name only" or whatever. But I think this war is going to have to go on for a while longer, with Russia experiencing more pain, before that becomes possible.

This war sucks. All war sucks, but this one particularly sucks. I'm sorry, Ukraine.:(

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Does that equal the 3400 they are offering Ukranian currency a month for troops?

Because honestly that's loving amazing propaganda

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

Holy gently caress Russia. What does this achieve?

It's for internal consumption. They know they've already torched their international relationships.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Pookah posted:

Polish and Moldovan shops in my town have been acting as collection centres for people to drop off supplies of things like baby food, clothes, bandages, charge banks etc.
They're organising runs up to Poland to drop said supplies off at the border. Was feeling so helpless and sad today, but felt a tiny bit better after dropping off some stuff. God knows, it wasn't much, but it helps even one refugee feel a tiny bit of normality, I'll sleep better :unsmith:

Honestly, the collective reaction of the West, and particularly Europe, to frame this as an attack on Us by Them, rather than by Them on some other Them, is one of the biggest differences between this and any other recent war of aggression and is a solid reason to see some hope in the long term.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jesus that's rough if true, in less than a week its coming close to the total American dead in Iraq since 2003.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Alchenar posted:

It's for internal consumption. They know they've already torched their international relationships.

Yeah, it's this. The government's desperately trying to fan the flames of Russian nationalism so they can get any enthusiasm for this war whatsoever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TulliusCicero posted:

Does that equal the 3400 they are offering Ukranian currency a month for troops?

At current rates it's a cool $50k

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Oh so that's the source of what I've been seeing online of weirdos saying "All of NATO are Nazis".

Russian propagandists, gently caress off!

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Even at current trading its equivalent to 45.000 USD

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Is it possible that the EU / US smuggled much weaponry into Ukraine in the lead-in to the war, given how prolonged and obvious the Russian build-up was?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

Jesus that's rough if true, in less than a week its coming close to the total American dead in Iraq since 2003.

Yeah if the US suffered this many killed in action in this amount of time I... don't even know what the reaction would be. It would be truly insane.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

freeasinbeer posted:

Western sources are claiming based on their intel sources it’s pretty accurate.

Which oh boy.

Makes me wonder about ukr loses though.

Probably worse than we think, due to non-trivial volunteer force involved. At least I speculate so on the basis of the decision to release convicts - otherwise, I struggle to rationalize that given the concurrent development of the territorial defence force, and the international battalions.

Hmm, yes, gotcha'ing Germans about their history is a totally good idea. For any Americans who have never been to Germany - don't ever try to pull a Nazi joke on a German.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The way you can tell is that Moscow is very well aware of how many people in the world speak Russian. If a statement is in English then we are supposed to read it. If it's in Russian then it's for the domestic audience.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

OgNar posted:

Just woke up havent watched it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzBxFH_hEwA

gently caress him. Bald and Bankrupt is a PUA weirdo sex pest that has outright said he wishes Ukraine stays poor so he can leverage having more money to take advantage of women there.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

It would be ~170% of that as per last week's exchange rate. Currently, that stands at $46k.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Quorum posted:

Honestly, the collective reaction of the West, and particularly Europe, to frame this as an attack on Us by Them, rather than by Them on some other Them, is one of the biggest differences between this and any other recent war of aggression and is a solid reason to see some hope in the long term.

I think it's massively helped by the absolutely superhuman skill the Ukrainian people have shown in using social media to present a united, coherent and extremely admirable national character. Hardly any false steps so far as I have seen.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ReidRansom posted:

Holy moly that really is just a Baofeng UV82.

A cheap Baofeng is a good piece of kit to have in a disaster or emergency (get licensed please. it's cheap and easy), but for a military superpower? Oof.

I have 27mhz walkie talkies from the 1970s :smug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

TheSpamalope posted:

said it in another thread already but it really annoys me that this idiot put himself there intentionally for his youtube channel and then took a seat that was much needed for the actual residents of the country.

Couldn't agree more, quite self centered of him.

edit: oh it's that rapist lad, didn't make the connection. :blush:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 28, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Cataffy posted:

And this guy has been well revealed to be a former PUA who used to brag on PUA forums about dodging a rape charge and how to trick women in Eastern Europe into sex. He's done quite the job of trying to cover this up over the years, but once you know, the tendencies are quite obvious in his videos.

That sucks, I’ve been following him for a couple years now and didn’t know this.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

cochise posted:

gently caress him. Bald and Bankrupt is a PUA weirdo sex pest that has outright said he wishes Ukraine stays poor so he can leverage having more money to take advantage of women there.

100% this. He also narrowly escaped a gang rape conviction in the UK on a technicality before then abandoning his wife and child to prey on foreign women.

There's a subreddit devoted to uncovering the real Bald and Bankrupt, and the stickied threads should give you all the info you need
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldAndBaldrDossier/

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Glad to see the "Ukraine should mint NFTs to finance their war effort" takes have started appearing.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Probably worse than we think, due to non-trivial volunteer force involved. At least I speculate so on the basis of the decision to release convicts - otherwise, I struggle to rationalize that given the concurrent development of the territorial defence force, and the international battalions.

Yeah, I think some of the shock over the numbers is due to the fact that we haven't really seen near-peer modern warfare like this. I imagine it's affecting the Ukrainian numbers too, we just don't tend to get Twitter videos of it.

Not that the Russians aren't still taking shocking losses for the military they were perceived as being.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 28, 2022

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
CNN just posted Russian "numbers"

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-28-22/h_0dabd3e41af0be16ca782d4bc03db2bf

quote:

The Russian military claimed Monday that its armed forces have hit 1,146 Ukrainian military installations since the beginning of the “special operation,” Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov, the spokesperson for Russian Ministry of Defense, said in a statement.

Among the targets were “31 command posts and communication centers, 81 S-300, Buk M-1 and Osa anti-aircraft missile systems, as well as 75 radar stations. Operationally, tactical aviation of the Russian Aerospace Forces hit six columns of armored vehicles of the Ukrainian armed forces," he said.

Additionally, “311 tanks and other armored combat vehicles, 42 aircraft and helicopters (including on the ground), 51 multiple launch rocket systems, 147 field artillery pieces and mortars, 263 units of special military vehicles were destroyed,” Konashenkov added.

Konashenkov also said troops have advanced further in both pro-Moscow regions in eastern Ukraine.

“The grouping of troops of the Luhansk People's Republic during the day continued to conduct offensive operations in the direction of the settlement of Kremennoye, moving forward for another 3 kilometers. In the past day, the units of the Armed Forces of the Donetsk People's Republic advanced 16 kilometers and captured the settlement of Zamozhnoye,” Konashenkov said.

Over the past 24 hours, another 110 Ukrainian servicemen have voluntarily laid down their arms, the Russian Ministry of Defense spokesman concluded.

CNN could not verify that statement, and the Russian military has made incorrect claims regarding its military operations in the past.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Hmm, yes, gotcha'ing Germans about their history is a totally good idea. For any Americans who have never been to Germany - don't ever try to pull a Nazi joke on a German.

Mostly because yanks only have a very small collection of Nazi jokes and they think a work meeting is a good place to tell one.

Der Führer war ein armes Schwein
Er hatte keinen Führerschein

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I kind of wanna go back to the 2014 coverage of the Ukraine people overthrowing their government because their president was to friendly with Putin, which basically was the start of this whole shitshow.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

ik edit: :nms:

Interesting compilation of TB2 strikes some new ones that I haven't seen floating around. One in particular is a strike on a rail line of what look like large fuel containers: https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1498372688431173633

edit: sorry forgot the nms and this was also posted a few pages back... dang the thread moves fast

dominoeffect fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 28, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1498377982771359745

Evening hot air from Moscow.

Blurred posted:

Is it possible that the EU / US smuggled much weaponry into Ukraine in the lead-in to the war, given how prolonged and obvious the Russian build-up was?

Unlikely, since the majority of the supplied weaponry, thus far, is shoulder-fired rockets. Infantry is not particularly mobile, and Russian generals are merciless enough to bomb cities indiscriminately eventually.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

fuctifino posted:

100% this. He also narrowly escaped a gang rape conviction in the UK on a technicality before then abandoning his wife and child to prey on foreign women.

There's a subreddit devoted to uncovering the real Bald and Bankrupt, and the stickied threads should give you all the info you need
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldAndBaldrDossier/

I hadnt heard any of this, will just block it now

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

surf rock posted:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1498366362540032001

As always, caveat that a bunch of videos have been misattributed to this war, but jesus christ

Dear lord, people, this is a good way to have your car rocketed.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Considering the size of the war as well as the fog of war, this may be their actual assessment of Ukrainian losses and not purely made up numbers

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

Dear lord, people, this is a good way to have your car rocketed.

Yeah this could have easily been "watch some people die"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blurred posted:

UK has been flying in instructors and equipment back in January I believe, not sure about other countries (I believe a some amount of non-lethal aid was given in the open by a couple of countries, Germany's infamous helmets being the best example).