Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Flesnolk posted:

Putin definitely doesn't have bodybuilder muscles tho

All conjecture until he eats a bullet and the world possibly gets an autopsy report, but that doesn’t mean anything. Plenty of aging men start doing all sorts of “one weird trick” poo poo hoping to regain their youthful figures, only to hit a brick wall because they can’t/won’t put in the other 90% of the work.

Steroids are a hell of a drug but desperation’s worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rockker posted:

Does Russia know some intel about Ukraine's artillery and/or air capabilities? This seems like its just asking to get bombed unless they know it can't be

It feels like Russia tried to not do this, and tried to spread tanks out and go in not on roads and it failed and everyone laughed at the bad micro so their new plan is click attack move and go straight down the main road and see if that works better.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ummel posted:

Corticosteroids cause moon face. Not sure if anabolic do, but I don't think so.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_face

Putin has Cushing's!!
That also explains what's made him so immunocompromised that he's felt to sit 20 ft away from everyone else!

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

KitConstantine posted:

Sadly looks like Washington Intel is also saying that there's another wave of Russian soldiers coming. Pretty much what everyone was kind of expecting.

https://twitter.com/Ayei_Eloheichem/status/1498486438924480515?s=20&t=ns01GWFQpWtbOD_XzfYeWw

:ohdear:

And the offensive was already going at blitzkrieg speed despite being an utter shitshow. The Russians have the soldiers and brutality for an Iraq style occupation too.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

Aircraft have already been transferred.

Can you provide a source for that because:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm just going to wish strength and luck to the Ukrainian forces and everyone supporting them. This attack seems different, I think the Russians are ready to be a lot more barbarous, to attack more civilian areas, to do anything necessary really to win. If the Ukrainians survive or repulse this attack it could be a huge moment.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I imagine the convoy is 60 miles long or whatever because large parts are constantly being stopped by vehicles exploding and needing to be removed from the road.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Varinn posted:

A lot of people are going to have to square their support for the massive crowds of russian anti war protestors with their glee at the looming massive collapse of the russian economy and the absolute terror that its going to visit on many of those people

putin bears a great deal of blame for this (before people claim i think he doesn't) but its willfully stupid to think that this wasnt the goal of the sanctions, especially with how intense they are now. theyre a bomb designed to ensure the people with the least in a country suffer the most.

Very odd to see Americans say that if they don't like the sanctions they should just overthrow the government. We couldn't do that here if we wanted to and our congresscritters are ancient as hell.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Judakel posted:

Very odd to see Americans say that if they don't like the sanctions they should just overthrow the government. We couldn't do that here if we wanted to and our congresscritters are ancient as hell.

The 1/6 rioters almost did.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Varinn posted:

A lot of people are going to have to square their support for the massive crowds of russian anti war protestors with their glee at the looming massive collapse of the russian economy and the absolute terror that its going to visit on many of those people

putin bears a great deal of blame for this (before people claim i think he doesn't) but its willfully stupid to think that this wasnt the goal of the sanctions, especially with how intense they are now. theyre a bomb designed to ensure the people with the least in a country suffer the most.

That's not true at all, they are absolutely focused on the rich, the oligarchs, and Putin himself as much as they possible can be.

But they also have to be as strong as they possibly can, which means targeting the Russian economy as a whole. The fact that this will hurt poor people the most is not intentional but is just a given in a stratified, capitalist system. There is no way to attack Russia's economy without hurting poor people the most, just like any economic contraction in the US always hurts poor people the most.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

TwoQuestions posted:

The 1/6 rioters almost did.

They didn't and that's what I was referencing.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Confirmed by Poland's Daily Press that Poland is giving Ukraine 28 planes

https://twitter.com/rzeczpospolita/status/1498404320622043141?s=20&t=f_YUucBpQH6ifUQxpIxiFA

Article link: https://www.rp.pl/wojsko/art35777571-28-polskich-mig-ow-29-dla-ukrainskiej-armii

"The Supreme Council: Poland will provide the Ukrainian army with 28 MiG-29s

Poland will provide the Ukrainian aviation with 28 MiG-29 fighters, the Supreme Council of Ukraine has provided. In total, according to this source, Ukraine will receive 70 planes as part of European Union aid. However, Onet informs that 23 Polish machines would be provided for re-arming the aviation of Ukraine, because the rest are "too outdated"."

Had to get a shot at everyone else in.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Judakel posted:

If there were sanctions affecting the operation of capitalism in America and our government refused to comply to get them lifted, you’d probably see some mysteriously well-funded rebels and spontaneous shows of force pretty quickly if that would get things back to the economic status quo. You probably wouldn’t like the new regime, though.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

TwoQuestions posted:

The Russians have the soldiers and brutality for an Iraq style occupation too.

Wait I'm sorry, is this supposed to sound good for them? Because um

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Pulling rank as a medical professional, but the steroid angle seems incredibly bullshit and you probably shouldn't spend any more time thinking about it than you would a batboy article from national enquirer. Corticosteroids are vastly different from anabolic (testosterone based) steroids. And someone like Putin would have a pro with a legit cycle plan in place that wouldn't have stereotypical anabolic steroid issues is used for hormone replacement therapy. It's much more likely he's in meth/amphetamine delerium or whatever else armchair psychologist stuff is going around.

Grouchio posted:

That also explains what's made him so immunocompromised that he's felt to sit 20 ft away from everyone else!

I know this is a joke, but honestly not even sure what immune condition he'd have that wouldn't be much better managed by more expensive monoclonal antibodies he'd abso have access to.

ummel fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 1, 2022

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

I AM GRANDO posted:

If there were sanctions affecting the operation of capitalism in America and our government refused to comply to get them lifted, you’d probably see some mysteriously well-funded rebels and spontaneous shows of force pretty quickly if that would get things back to the economic status quo. You probably wouldn’t like the new regime, though.

There are going to be a lot of dead oligarchs soon then.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Judakel posted:

Everybody knows it's BS, it's just a thing people say to avoid having to admit they're being cruel.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dante posted:

This is one hell of a sequence of videos that CNN has assembled on how they repelled a small russian force in Kharkiv: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/28/europe/kharkiv-street-fight-russia-ukraine-intl-cmd/index.html. The Ukrainian army seems to be very cohesive and well-trained.

just going to point out that repelling two or three trucks of guys driving down a street in broad daylight does not give you literally anything you can generalize to the entire ukranian army.

that said, it's hard to understand wtf that group was doing there

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Play posted:

That's not true at all, they are absolutely focused on the rich, the oligarchs, and Putin himself as much as they possible can be.

But they also have to be as strong as they possibly can, which means targeting the Russian economy as a whole. The fact that this will hurt poor people the most is not intentional but is just a given in a stratified, capitalist system. There is no way to attack Russia's economy without hurting poor people the most, just like any economic contraction in the US always hurts poor people the most.

How can something be "not intentional", but also "a given"? If doing something causes another thing to happen 100% of the time, you can't say you didnt intend for it to happen.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1498480746855649288
https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1498486683595157504

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

crabs are incapable of lying.

republicans...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Who to believe. Guess I’ll wait like 10 minutes for the debunk tweet

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

This account usually isn't unreliable, but if I am reading the sub tweets correctly this is literally 4th hand information.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TwoQuestions posted:

And the offensive was already going at blitzkrieg speed despite being an utter shitshow. The Russians have the soldiers and brutality for an Iraq style occupation too.

I think you’re the first person I’ve ever seen to claim that the Russians are equipped to engage in a legit occupation

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Maybe Rubio is just poo poo post tweeting :v:

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Well on one hand Putin has been saying and doing the exact same thing since he invaded Georgia in 2008 with a similar pretext, only now he 70 and a bit fatter. On the other hand this he could be roid raging after two years of intense sigma male grindset bodybuilding under corona isolation. It's simply impossible to tell which story is more plausible!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

just going to point out that repelling two or three trucks of guys driving down a street in broad daylight does not give you literally anything you can generalize to the entire ukranian army.

that said, it's hard to understand wtf that group was doing there

Hang on let me check twitter, I'm sure I can find a suitable sample size of tiktoks. Jokes aside, even though Russia is going to grind Ukraine down it's hard to argue after these five days that the Ukrainian army is not well-trained or cohesive. Pretty much every intelligence service on the planet is impressed so far.

Dante fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 1, 2022

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Confirmed by Poland's Daily Press that Poland is giving Ukraine 28 planes

https://twitter.com/rzeczpospolita/status/1498404320622043141?s=20&t=f_YUucBpQH6ifUQxpIxiFA

Article link: https://www.rp.pl/wojsko/art35777571-28-polskich-mig-ow-29-dla-ukrainskiej-armii

"The Supreme Council: Poland will provide the Ukrainian army with 28 MiG-29s

Poland will provide the Ukrainian aviation with 28 MiG-29 fighters, the Supreme Council of Ukraine has provided. In total, according to this source, Ukraine will receive 70 planes as part of European Union aid. However, Onet informs that 23 Polish machines would be provided for re-arming the aviation of Ukraine, because the rest are "too outdated"."

Had to get a shot at everyone else in.

I don't speak Polish, but the google translate appears to be a lot of the same we've seen, again from Ukranian sources, and not confirmation from Poland:

quote:

Josep Borrell, the head of EU diplomacy, announced on Sunday that EU foreign ministers agreed to send EUR 450 million in military aid to Ukraine for offensive weapons. During the press conference, Borrell said the EU military aid package could also include the supply of fighters for the Ukrainian air force. The head of EU diplomacy said that the Ukrainian Foreign Minister, Dmytro Kuleba, asked for such planes that could be used by his country's air force. These are post-Soviet models, mainly MiG-i and Suchoje. There are countries in the EU that have such machines (including Poland) and are able to deliver them - said Borrell.

The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine in a post on Twitter published on Monday evening said that the Ukrainian aviation will receive a total of 70 aircraft, most of which are MiG-29 fighters. Poland will provide 28 such machines, Bulgaria - 16, and Slovakia - 12. Additional support from Bulgaria will be 14 examples of Su-25 stormtroopers.

The announcement did not specify when the planes will be delivered to Ukraine, or whether they have already been handed over. The Polish side has not yet confirmed the reports on the exact number of transferred machines. However, Ukrainian MP Galina Tretyakova wrote on Facebook that "Ukrainian pilots have already flown to Poland". In turn, another deputy, Oleksiy Honcharenko, stated that "if necessary" the planes handed over to Ukraine "will be able to base themselves at Polish airports from which Ukrainian pilots will carry out combat missions". Also in this case, there is no confirmation from Poland.

Onet reported on Monday evening that the Polish army is considering handing over MiG-29 fighters to Ukraine, but that decisions have not been made yet , citing a high-ranking officer of the Polish army. “For now, our country has sent the Ukrainians fighting against Russian aggression thousands of rounds of ammunition of various types and sizes. One of the first transports included one hundred R-73 short-range air-to-air missiles, which are used for MiG-29 planes "- the portal informed, stating that" Poland has a fleet of almost 30 MiG-29 fighters, 23 of which it would be intended for the rearmament of Ukrainian aviation, because the rest is too outdated. "

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I hope they can do something about that convoy. Presumably they’d have known about it for some time as they seem to be getting NATO intel and there’s no way it wasn’t spotted assembling across the border.

Of course Russia would know it is pretty important to their plans and are probably giving it a pretty thorough infantry and AA screen which might be why it hasn’t been droned to oblivion.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Does this slower day benefit Ukraine at all?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rubio is getting actual classified intel briefings so I think he's probably correct

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Twitter is making a bunch of the worst people on twitter mad.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like the Ukrainians have been picking away at Russian supply lines still - that seems like a lot of rockets to just...steal. I don't understand how they did it.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1498274281851170821?s=20&t=f_YUucBpQH6ifUQxpIxiFA

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I don't speak Polish, but the google translate appears to be a lot of the same we've seen, again from Ukranian sources, and not confirmation from Poland:

It's a bit different in that there's now a Polish source saying they're considering it, not a flat denial like the other two countries.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Would there be any tactical advantage in pretending Ukraine isn’t actually getting more planes when actually there are some changing hands? If Russia knew there were 70 new aircraft in the theatre they’d be pretty keen to hunt them all down and wreak them.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Twitter is making a bunch of the worst people on twitter mad.

lmao this guy literally works for RT

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Maybe the Russian military is just all lining up for that $3,000/surrender payout and that’s how they plan to recover from sanctions.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
So I'm trying to think now (I'm sorry). With the extra week when MOEX stays closed, Russian image on a global markets will not really change but a lot of things can happen regardless. From "Russian economy crumbles to pieces" to "Russian economy is in trouble". But assuming that Russia manages to work out some economical partnership with China, it would give Putin enough of a leverage to continue not giving a gently caress.

Which in it's own way would be bad for the West, strengthening the yuan.

I really hope that instead somebody in the Ural bunker will do the right thing though.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Dante posted:

lmao this guy literally works for RT

The character of being associated with official Russia has changed overnight. You can't monetize a stain.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Does this slower day benefit Ukraine at all?

To the extent that it allows some of the weapons being sent from Europe to them to reach the coming fronts, perhaps.

Realistically, though, it probably means the enormous Russian columns are focused on maneuvering to achieve encirclement after the earlier probing revealed where Ukraine is likely to put up resistance.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Would there be any tactical advantage in pretending Ukraine isn’t actually getting more planes when actually there are some changing hands? If Russia knew there were 70 new aircraft in the theatre they’d be pretty keen to hunt them all down and wreak them.

I think it’s safe to assume anything related to exports dropped on twitter is mainly being done for pr purposes. Who knows what’s not being said. Cia is probably working overtime filling out fedex slips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mozi posted:

Indeed. You'd think the smarter plan would have been, after the attempts to generate a false flag failed, to just withdraw on Feb 25 or whatever, make Biden look foolish and legitimize the pro-Russian narrative, then when Trump wins in a couple of years and withdraws from NATO just take Ukraine then.

Unless, for some reason, Putin suspected he might not be around in a couple of years, possibly due to some health issue as has been the subject of rumor.

The problem is the plan was already in motion. The amount of time, materials and money to stage the invasion was sunk. If he decided to back down all of that would have been down the drain and for a Russian military that has had money problems for decades the time was now. By the time they could afford to stage the operation again the West would have likely built up Ukraine even more than they did, likely with more modern hardware making things more dicey, completely ignoring a potential EU/NATO membership.

I don’t think Putin expected the resistance or the massive support for Ukraine and blowback to them from effectively the world. Even if they do “win” it will ultimately be a loss. Every goal that Putin was after has now blown up spectacularly in his face. NATO and the EU are stronger than they have been in decades, the sphere of influence from Russia is going to be nearly irrelevant, their economy is going to be in ruins and even their highly successful destabilization programs around the world are likely going to be toast going forward.

What someone said earlier about China gaining more influence over them is right. The big winner in all of this is China. They got to see a dry run for the invasion of Taiwan and learn from it. They are going to reap all the benefits and not take any blowback from it at all.