Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

wukkar posted:

And also where the "Kyiv leaders=drug addicts" claim is rooted from.

Poroshenko's campaign during the 2019 elections spread rumours that Zelenskyi takes drugs, because there were rumours from the other side that Poroshenko is an alcoholic. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I think Russia would be doing literally the exact same thing right now whether Azov battalion existed or not

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman

wukkar posted:

There is no possible way that Azov battalion was worth it to the Ukrainian state, for all the absolutely stunningly extensive mileage that Russia gets out of being able to mention it every other sentence.

This is exactly backwards reasoning. Russia was always going to grasp onto a pretense to justify action, irrespective of the quality or availability of underlying pretenses. They happened to choose this one because it exists. If it didn't exist they would choose another or invent this one. And it's convinced exactly 0 people who weren't already gullible rose emoji twitter idiots or Russia boosters.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

wukkar posted:

There is no possible way that Azov battalion was worth it to the Ukrainian state, for all the absolutely stunningly extensive mileage that Russia gets out of being able to mention it every other sentence.

I agree that Ukraine did not do the work of nipping them in the bud but what stunningly extensive mileage? The sympathies of a hundred demented tankies? Analytical articles devoting a paragraph of any article about Ukraine amounting to "those guys exist"? No one of note is taking the nazi genocide claims seriously despite them being a pretext to the "special operation". Azov existing did not give Russia cart blanche for war crimes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I think Russia would be doing literally the exact same thing right now whether Azov battalion existed or not
At absolute, absolute most they might not be claiming it's a 'denazification' war. But I suspect they would have reached that conclusion by other means; skinheads in the UA military, etc.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it was going to be 'denazification' regardless - recall this back from the initial invasion: https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-abstains-from-un-vote-on-nazism/

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
At some point, the russian population is bound to start wondering if something more unusual than the russian usual isn't happening. Between interest rates, banned flights, banned sporting events, and of course, banned Eurovision song contest, surely people will start wondering. Not that I expect much to come out of it, but the wholesale buying of propaganda can't hold forever when so much will get disrupted. I presume waiting until after the Olympics was part of avoiding that kind of obvious sign that something was different. Football is big in Russia, and when a body as corrupt as FIFA bans you from their cash cow events when they're happy to have some of said events hosted in slave labour stadiums, it's more than a little unusual.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Has there been any updates on the resumption of negotiations?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

FishMcCool posted:

At some point, the russian population is bound to start wondering if something more unusual than the russian usual isn't happening. Between interest rates, banned flights, banned sporting events, and of course, banned Eurovision song contest, surely people will start wondering. Not that I expect much to come out of it, but the wholesale buying of propaganda can't hold forever when so much will get disrupted. I presume waiting until after the Olympics was part of avoiding that kind of obvious sign that something was different. Football is big in Russia, and when a body as corrupt as FIFA bans you from their cash cow events when they're happy to have some of said events hosted in slave labour stadiums, it's more than a little unusual.

Incidentally, FIFA was really reluctant to pull that trigger and would have preferred to wait it out, but they had gotten massive bad press for that.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Mokotow posted:

They're planned for today, nothing else.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

Right now the reaction is mostly "why us???? why hit the people???" but thats gonna change to either anger or total apathy when we realise that the government won't help either. Its not Soviet Union, we are spoiled by trips to Europe and working for USD, and the people in charge have been inadequate to hold the baseline of welfare and security as it was.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1498602740188172293?s=20&t=aboYddvVnbqesLxafPROPw

What a nation.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mokotow posted:

That will take some time to start in earnest. So far there haven't really been negotiations, just people sitting at a table, stating their mutually exclusive demands. I hope it happens sooner than later but neither side has moved anywhere so far. Of course, These demands have a strong gradient in how reasonable they are, so I don't think they'll just shake hands and settle down in the middle.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

That will take some time to start in earnest. So far there haven't really been negotiations, just people sitting at a table, stating their mutually exclusive demands. I hope it happens sooner than later but neither side has moved anywhere so far. Of course, These demands have a strong gradient in how reasonable they are, so I don't think they'll just shake hands and settle down in the middle.

No I meant the negotiations started in Pripyat yesterday that went on all day yesterday and were called off for the night.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

fatherboxx posted:

I agree that Ukraine did not do the work of nipping them in the bud but what stunningly extensive mileage? The sympathies of a hundred demented tankies? Analytical articles devoting a paragraph of any article about Ukraine amounting to "those guys exist"? No one of note is taking the nazi genocide claims seriously despite them being a pretext to the "special operation". Azov existing did not give Russia cart blanche for war crimes.

It doesn't matter at all what Ukraine did, they aren't perfect at all so there are thousands of ways to take semi-true or semi-believable events and reports and use them for war propaganda. Nazi's, drugs, Jews, decadence, non-cis non-hetero... All are used as examples of Ukraine being a shithole and a danger because that's been the line since forever. The exact same stuff Trump and his cronies are all about, and also most other extreme-right political parties in the west.

Azov is bad and Eastern Europe has a nazi problem. So does Western Europe. So does the US. Germany recently did a massive investigation and found a lot of extreme right sympathizers in their armed forces and police, actively conspiring to do harm to minorities. See this article for example: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.eu/article/germany-armed-forces-far-right-extremism/amp/

And that's not unique at all. I'd bet that during a hypothetical invasion of the US or EU there would definitely be armed forces around on their side who would be very comparable to Azov.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

wukkar posted:

I`m looking for articles to understand why they were brought into the National Guard. And what they've been defending this week. I have to imagine that Poroshenko regrets it.

They played a big role in the Maidan protests of 2013-2014 fighting Berkut internal troops. The Nazis played a pivotal role in that, and for that they were given recognition and integration, which was idiotic at the time and still is today. It was probably the biggest blunder of that entire era.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Look what ex-KGB affiliate is not happy about coming isolation

https://twitter.com/e_kaspersky/status/1498547337043525633

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hungary just announced they support Ukraine's EU membership. State media still pushing Russian propaganda. I had an argument with someone yesterday who wanted to know why the world didn't sanction Ukraine when they occupied Russian territories in 2014.

https://444.hu/2022/03/01/szijjarto-peter-tamogatjuk-ukrajna-unios-csatlakozasat

minema
May 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1498607959793885185?s=20&t=_77uLFdgqsDVnqGuMiPb5w

Is this confirmation that the posts yesterday by Ukrainian MPs regarding flying missions from Poland weren't based on anything real?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Is there somewhere to read about how Orban does this juggling? One day he's blocking Ukraine from the cyber command another day he's cutting off Russia from swift

I don't like him at all but playing both sides that he does is impressive, I hope he is kicked out in the elections

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

minema posted:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1498607959793885185?s=20&t=_77uLFdgqsDVnqGuMiPb5w

Is this confirmation that the posts yesterday by Ukrainian MPs regarding flying missions from Poland weren't based on anything real?

Isn't Poland donating some MIGs to Ukraine? I thought it was based on that

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nobody steals Jupiters nobel peace prize.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Incidentally, FIFA was really reluctant to pull that trigger and would have preferred to wait it out, but they had gotten massive bad press for that.

FIFA/UEFA really does hate being a stage for global politics stuff (quite ironically), so it's not that much of a surprise that they wouldn't want teams wearing the Russian flag participating in their events and becoming a giant flashpoint for massive protests that will be broadcast around the world with their logo on it. It's pragmatics more than any kind of moral stand (because they have no morals).

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

Actually, zero casualties per the news

Can you stop acussig me of apolozing for poo poo?

ik edit: https://i.imgur.com/CPiNEDm.jpeg
Yeah, 'zero casualties' you ghoulish whataboutist tankie gently caress. The fascist Azov only got so influential because of the first Russian invasion in 2014. And their presence in no way makes the bombing of civilians justified.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 1, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

greazeball posted:

FIFA/UEFA really does hate being a stage for global politics stuff (quite ironically), so it's not that much of a surprise that they wouldn't want teams wearing the Russian flag participating in their events and becoming a giant flashpoint for massive protests that will be broadcast around the world with their logo on it. It's pragmatics more than any kind of moral stand (because they have no morals).

I'm looking forward to Chelsea's remaining Champion's League games.

(that's in 2 weeks time though, so pretty much an eternity considering the situation...)

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Somaen posted:

Is there somewhere to read about how Orban does this juggling? One day he's blocking Ukraine from the cyber command another day he's cutting off Russia from swift

I don't like him at all but playing both sides that he does is impressive, I hope he is kicked out in the elections

The little independent media we have does weekly recap articles in English. I'm sure this week's will explain, will make sure to share when it comes out.

He only supported cutting off Russia from SWIFT when noone else was against it anymore. Anyway while supporting SWIFT cut off, he refuses to give military aid, and declared no weapons can go through Hungary to Ukraine with the reasoning "they could be used against Hungarian minority in Ukraine" which is batshit crazy. Yet today announced they support Ukraine's EU membership.
The real weathervane.

I don't see how he could lose the elections, a lot of people are brainwashed here. I'm worried this war will just get him more votes for some weird fuckin reason.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Sure, the russians are invading Kupyansk in a single 4x4. They also didn't do a good job of not letting it pass, seemed to drive away just fine. That's a really odd post.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

freeasinbeer posted:

Well if you just occupy the entire road from the border to the front that’s one way to secure your logistics.

An eery reminder of the fate of the Ukrainian 44th Rifle Division 82 years ago...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/44th_Rifle_Division#Winter_War_(destruction_at_the_Battle_of_Raate_Road)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Holy gently caress someone just gave a microphone to an Ukrainian lady on the Boris conference in Warsaw and she just absolutely confronted him on the security guarantees and no fly zone. It was a dramatic speech straight to his face.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, looks like the truth still hasn't reached the Russian boomers yet. Genuine disbelief from this father

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1498564726720286720?t=PxIHLIVqXMTiJqjYBXk5TQ&s=19

This one is just heartbreaking

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1498610617372094467?t=ITfBpdw3vwbQ8oRcKwM7eg&s=19

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

The little independent media we have does weekly recap articles in English. I'm sure this week's will explain, will make sure to share when it comes out.

He only supported cutting off Russia from SWIFT when noone else was against it anymore. Anyway while supporting SWIFT cut off, he refuses to give military aid, and declared no weapons can go through Hungary to Ukraine with the reasoning "they could be used against Hungarian minority in Ukraine" which is batshit crazy. Yet today announced they support Ukraine's EU membership.
The real weathervane.

I don't see how he could lose the elections, a lot of people are brainwashed here. I'm worried this war will just get him more votes for some weird fuckin reason.

Hungary might genuinely try to work with Russia for own gain. In the coming weeks look for any offers to act as 'peace brokers'. It is clear to me that what they want is land. Ukraines land, the old subcarpathian Ruthenia.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

kemikalkadet posted:

Sure, the russians are invading Kupyansk in a single 4x4. They also didn't do a good job of not letting it pass, seemed to drive away just fine. That's a really odd post.

Yes, people without weapons jumping on a car full possibly armed invaders is absolutely normal and not heroic, move along :jerkbag:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

kemikalkadet posted:

Civilians charging barehanded at armed soldiers with no regard to their personal safety says a lot about their morale, even if the wording is clumsy.

Obviously the russian soldiers are told not to fire indiscriminately at civilians with small arms but that's not a guarantee of anything.

The invaders in this context just means Russian military in general.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm sorry the Russian people are getting undeservedly hosed by their government even more than usual but I'm still more sympathetic to the Ukrainians who are being actively murdered by the Russian government.

You don't have to be more sympathetic, just don't go out of your way to be an rear end in a top hat to Russian people who have no control over what's going on and are probably on your side.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, looks like the truth still hasn't reached the Russian boomers yet. Genuine disbelief from this father

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1498564726720286720?t=PxIHLIVqXMTiJqjYBXk5TQ&s=19

This one is just heartbreaking

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1498610617372094467?t=ITfBpdw3vwbQ8oRcKwM7eg&s=19

Isn't filming POWs to make the identifiable really bad?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

wukkar posted:

I`m looking for articles to understand why they were brought into the National Guard. And what they've been defending this week. I have to imagine that Poroshenko regrets it.

It was a lot easier to fold them into the guard than to try to forcibly disband a neo-Nazi militia of hundreds of armed men who had just fought in the revolution while Russia was looming as an existential threat. Or leave them functional but aggrieved and outside any governmental structure.

Was it the right decision? It's hard to say from 6,000 miles away. I'm a Jew with Ukrainian heritage (my great-grandfather's city of Ivankiv, a bit northwest of Kyiv, saw some heavy fighting and is now occupied) so I have a more personal problem with Ukranian Nazis than most here, but even I can't say that it would've definitely been worth the price to deal with them.

As others have pointed out, there was always going to be something that Putin pointed to. If the Azov Battalion was what Putin actually cared about, he could've diplomatically achieved their dismantling, but it's been very clear that by denazification he means regime change and a puppet government. He's a Fascist co-opting anti-fascist rhetoric to fabricate casus belli for his imperial revanchism and it's disgusting.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 1, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The Ukrainian Anti-Corruption Agency announced that appropriated russian military equipment does not have to be declared on tax forms :allears:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Captain Theron posted:

ik edit: :nms:

https://i.imgur.com/CPiNEDm.jpeg
Yeah, 'zero casualties' you ghoulish whataboutist tankie gently caress. The fascist Azov only got so influential because of the first Russian invasion in 2014. And their presence in no way makes the bombing of civilians justified.

Does nobody remember there's plenty of fascists/neo-Nazis whatever on the *Russian* side? Azov is bad but they're not the only bad actor on the stage, ffs.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 1, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

During the Human Rights Council session, Lavrov was shown on screen making a statement, most people walked out of the sessions. It’s a great image - he’s talking on this big rear end screen and everyone is just walking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Djarum posted:

Fiona Hill is not a sensationalist. She has been trumpeting the warnings of exactly what has happened for years now. She is one of the foremost experts on the subject and regions in the world. And frankly she is right, Purim’s radioactive and nerve agent assassinations were nuclear and biological weapons that effected a lot of people in a foreign country. If the UK did that within Russia do you think they would have let things slide like they did?

She literally states in the article we're on the brink of WW3. I think it's sensationalist